Ferguson Retirement Live @ 11AM Eastern

JETSfaninNE

Brick retirement live from Florham Park.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/schedule/event/D%E2%80%99Brickashaw-Ferguson-Retirement-201604141100/d14b1976-857b-4102-91bb-295573206990

Dennis Waszak Jr. ‏@DWAZ73  9m9 minutes ago
Both Maccagnan and Bowles here for Brick presser. Have also seen Mangold, Bart Scott, David Harris, Mauldin, Folk, Winters. #Jets

Darryl Slater ‏@DarrylSlater  9m9 minutes ago
Lorenzo Mauldin, Brian Winters, Nick Folk, and Quincy Enunwa are here at the Ferguson retirement press conference.

Kimberley A. Martin ‏@KMart_LI  9m9 minutes ago
David Harris, Willie Colon, Nick Mangold and ex-#NYJ Bart Scott are here for #BrickDay. So are Quincy Enunwa, Mauldin + Winters #jets

Kimberley A. Martin ‏@KMart_LI  8m8 minutes ago
More #Jets player roll call: Geno Smith, Nick Folk, Tommy Bohanan, Ben Ijalana #BrickDay

I'm getting all teary eyed already, this is going to hurt like Curtis Martins HOF speech I think :(

33 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Would be even better if the Jets site was working

I thought it was my work network causing issues, guess the website couldn't handle the traffic.  I stopped trying to watch it cuz it kept stalling and buffering out and figured I would just want it later :(

Retiring Jets LT Brick Ferguson helped protect 14 quarterbacks in 10 years

Retiring left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who will be feted Thursday at One Jets Drive, outlasted a lot of people during his 10-year career with the New York Jets.

How many? Here's a sampling that includes the coaches he played under, the quarterbacks he protected and the fellow offensive linemen that started alongside him:

Head coaches (3): Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan, Todd Bowles.

Offensive line coaches (5): Tony Wise, Bill Callahan, Dave DeGuglielmo, Mike Devlin, Steve Marshall.

Quarterbacks (14, listed from most playing time to least): Mark SanchezGeno Smith, Chad Pennington, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brett Favre, Kellen Clemens, Michael Vick, Greg McElroy, Matt Simms, Mark Brunell, Tim Tebow, Brad Smith, Jeremy Kerley (three Wildcat plays), Patrick Ramsey (two plays).

Offensive line starters (21, listed from most starts to fewest):Nick Mangold 156, Brandon Moore 112, Matt Slauson 48, Damien Woody 45, Willie Colon 38, Breno Giacomini 32, Austin Howard 32, Alan Faneca 32, Anthony Clement 32, Brian Winters 28, Wayne Hunter 21, James Carpenter 16, Pete Kendall 14, Adrien Clarke 14, Oday Aboushi 10, Vlad Ducasse 5, Norm Katnik 2, Will Montgomery 2, Colin Baxter 2, Wesley Johnson 1, Dalton Freeman 1.

-- D'Brickashaw Ferguson has a 10-inch vertical scar in the middle of his chest. He hasn't discussed it publicly in years, probably not since his rookie year in 2006, but he chose to address it Thursday at his retirement news conference at One Jets Drive.

To celebrate the end of his career, Ferguson went back to the beginning -- before football. As a 9-year-old, he underwent open-heart surgery, a life-changing event on so many levels."This all started because a young boy who had to have open-heart surgery desperately wanted to prove his toughness -- not only to himself but everybody -- by playing football," he told a packed auditorium.Ferguson marveled at how a youngster initially restricted from playing contact sports could go on to play 10 years in the NFL, never missing a game or a play due to injury. He called himself "blessed."

It was a classy exit by Ferguson, 32, who stunned teammates last week by announcing his retirement.

Speaking for the first time since his bombshell, Ferguson, who never appeared on an injury report, said he decided to call it quits because it had become "harder and harder and harder" to maintain his usual level of play. He said he's "not retiring because of CTE."Although he never suffered a concussion, he has been outspoken on long-term concerns associated with head injuries and chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

Ferguson downplayed a proposed pay cut as the reason for retiring. He was due to make $10.3 million this season, and the Jets approached him recently about taking a significant reduction. He said he wasn't surprised when the organization broached the subject, but he admitted he was stung by the recent speculation about his job security."It was difficult," he said. "I think not to be the guy who is automatically the left tackle was ... something new to me. I was taken aback. I just wasn't used to that. But at the same rate, I also recognize this happens in football. You play your game and, at a certain point, the game must end. There's a natural progression in sports. No matter who you are ... there's an end.

"To me, that was a sign that things are changing, it's just not the next season, something is different. I wanted to be able to see those things and what they meant to me. It gave me time to think, 'Brick, what do you want?' This is what I want."

The Jets courted other left tackles in free agency, eventually trading forRyan Clady, formerly of the Denver Broncos.The organization gave Ferguson quite a sendoff. Commemorative pins, featuring Ferguson's No. 60, were handed out before the news conference. Video highlights were shown on the big screen. Several current and former teammates were in attendance, including Nick Mangold, James Carpenter,David Harris, Geno Smith, Antonio Cromartie, Willie Colon and Bart Scott."I kind of expect these guys to go on forever," owner Woody Johnson said. "For 10 years, we never looked at left tackle. And there was Brick."

Ferguson, nattily attired in a blue suit, brought a small notebook with him to the podium -- his cheat sheet. Typical Brick, always prepared. He maintained his composure throughout the session, avoiding any tears. He called it an "exciting" day for him.Offensive linemen rarely are celebrated during their playing days. They're the anonymous grunts upfront, the engine underneath the hood. On this day, Ferguson, always content to stay out of the headlines, lapped up the attention. He joked about how lucky he is to have a commemorative pin in his honor.

"I mean, who has pins?" he cracked.

Turning serious, Ferguson recounted his journey, telling the heart-surgery anecdote."I was not born to play football," he said. "I had to go to the hospital to have surgery to correct something in me that was abnormal. Because of how I felt, that feeling of being handicapped, spurred some type of desire in me that I'm going to prove to you and myself that I could do this. I picked football. Out of everything else, I picked football."

The man with the surgically repaired heart showed plenty of it over a 10-year career.

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/59707/former-jets-ot-dbrickashaw-ferguson-bids-a-heartfelt-goodbye-to-football

Very nice. He was really great once and hated seeing him decline. But it sounds like he recognized it himself (as did the team), and he gets to go out before getting cut or demoted, which would have been a worse ending than his retirement. He got to live out a dream, was made phenomenally wealthy in the process, and walks away a healthy young man. Good for him.

Archived