Fitz vs Eli

FlaJetsFan

20 minutes ago, FlaJetsFan said:

I chose Eli in order to have some objective way to assess Fitz's compensation demands based on very general comparables.  They play in the same exact market, play the same position, are roughly the same age, and have been in the NFL roughly the same amount of time.  This way, one is not comparing apples to oranges, in terms of stacking the stats of a 4-year vet against those of a QB who has been in the league since 2005.  

Ok, that's all cool, except that you took an average of an arbitrary 4 year period of one player from 4 years ago, and compared it to the single best season of the second player - not accounting for or adjusting for other variables such as surrounding teammate's talent level or caliber of defenses each faced or styles of offense each ran.

Apples to Oranges still seems a fairly accurate description of the comp going on here. 

And for what? To prove that Fitzy isn't as good as Eli or isn't deserving of $16mm/yr? Pointless, considering that neither needs to be proven. They are facts. I'd be hard pressed to find any Fitz supporters that wouldn't agree to those points. 

This is just a "sh*t on Fitz because it'll help us feel better about geno/petty/hack" thread. 

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Unique thread topic.

Site should be totally unreadable by June.

Buckle up! Cause WE ain't stopping till every Jets fan on the planet acknowledges that Fitz is the single worst QB on the planet, he is a greedy a$$hole, and he eats food prepared by child slaves!!

46 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Brees did not take a pay cut, he demanded top dollar last time his contract was up.

Re doing a deal isn't a pay cut.  It's turning base into bonus, making the $ the same, but pushing the cap hit back.

I didn't say he did. I said he volunteered to take a pay cut (loose terminology for reduce the cap hit) but the term "restructure" is possibly more accurate.

If due money is pushed back or delayed then it's effectively a pay cut until it's received. Not sure what Brees had in mind.

SPORTS ILLUSTRATED April 22, 2016

Drew Brees was willing to take pay cut to bring Josh Norman to Saints

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees explains he was willing to modify his contract if it meant bringing Josh Norman to the New Orleans Saints.

Fitz is not good. If he was THAT GOOD Obrien wouldn't have traded him for a late freaking draft pick. He's a bridge QB that had the best season of his career, getting bailed out by 2 very good WRs and a very weak schedule filled with really sh*tty defenses.

Rex has a pretty good D & has never lost to Fitz & won both last year. Fitz sucked against Houston (Another decent D), our braintrust knows Fitz isn't the answer to our future. At this point I'm not even interested in Fitz for 1 more year, what's the point really? So 2 guys who are close to the end of their career would be disappointed (Marshall & Mangold). 

Macc & Bowles should be completely focused on putting together a team that meshes over the next 5 years to wrestle away this division from the Patriots as Brady declines. The stop gaps have to change & we need to build a TEAM with younger players.

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Hack is a long shot my friend. Just say it...You hope Geno shows enough for Macc to completely cut ties with Fitz before July. 

Hackenberg is not up for starting role. Macc is going to actually develop him. Once people understand that the quicker they'll realize that this is Geno's/Petty's team. And if Geno cant outperform Petty then all of us will be begging for Fitz to come back. 

Petty is not in the starting picture my friend (and never will be). Please come to your senses.

It may be Geno's team on paper right now, but I'm sure Woody, Mac, Bowles, Gailey, and others would love to see Hackenberg arrive ahead of schedule.

33 minutes ago, jetrider said:

I didn't say he did. I said he volunteered to take a pay cut (loose terminology for reduce the cap hit) but the term "restructure" is possibly more accurate.

If due money is pushed back or delayed then it's effectively a pay cut until it's received. Not sure what Brees had in mind.

Makes sense, last time Drew Brees had a elite corner and decent defense behind him he won the super bowl.

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I agree with much of what OP said (cut  bait with Fitz) but the Jets know that eventually Fitz will come crawling back. Fitz is a gamer and no one else will give him what he wants (money or starting job). So he has zero leverage. 

Really? A Gamer?  Where was he against Philly and Buffalo two times. Please..he had ONE good season. ONE.

9 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Really? A Gamer?  Where was he against Philly and Buffalo two times. Please..he had ONE good season. ONE.

Usually a "gamer" is someone that plays hard and with a lot of effort. You are confusing the word "gamer" with "amazing" "great", "HOFer", "elite" because you are blinded by your hate for Fitzpatrick. You didn't bother to read the part where I agreed to cut bait on Fitz. SOJForum. 

5 hours ago, FlaJetsFan said:
  •  

pig.jpg

Stats do not always tell the whole story.  That said, here is a (loose) comparison between Eli Manning's contract/stats from last year, vs R. Fitzpatrick career averages while at Buffalo (last season's stats are a statistical anomaly for this player, so I'm leaving these out, although they would still not equal the numbers put up by Manning last year.)

These two quarterback are roughly the same age, and play in the same market.
Eli Manning has taken the Giants to the Super Bowl twice, winning both times.
Fitzpatrick has never guided any team to the NFL playoffs during an equally long career.

E. Manning 
annual compensation (approx, based on $65MM 4-year guarantee)
$16,250,000  
per game compensation
$1,015,625

'15-'16 TDs (season):  35
Passing yards: 4,432
cost per TD:  $29,018
cost per yard:  $229

R. Fitzpatrick: 4-year Buffalo averages
TD per season:  20
Passing yds: 2,914
Assuming he wants around $16MM per year
this means he would make 1MM per game, on a par with E. Manning

This breaks out to

Cost per TD: 50K (40 per cent more than E. Manning)
Cost per yard: $343 (66 per cent more than E. Manning, who has taken his team to the playoffs 5 times vs 0 for Fitzpatrick)

Conclusion:  Fitzpatrick, a journeyman second rate QB, has made compensation demands that are unsubstantiated by his NFL track record.   Nobody in the NFL has shown any inclination to believe he is worth this sort of money.  Despite his unimpressive career stats, Fitzpatrick has already earned tens of millions of dollars during a second or third tier NFL career. Rather than jump on the possibility that he may (temporarily) have something special going on with Marshall and Decker, and possibly validate his career by actually getting a team to the playoffs, Fitzpatrick has instead chosen to make the sorts of demands that have likely ended his days as a starting NFL QB.  The Jets should publicly cut bait now, and stop talking about wanting him back.  Geno and the two young guns should fight it out this preseason; the end result is likely to equate to whatever Fitz would statistically achieve, and we may need as fans to accept our team taking a small step back in order to make several huge ones forward. Unless Fitz has already chosen to retire absent a king's ransom, and is merely playing chicken with Mac for the heck of it, the Jets have no reason to bid against themselves with this aging, mediocre player.  Instead, they would be wise complete the process of entirely ridding this team of all its bloated contracts by '17, and fully transition to a Jets roster that is free of greedy, disruptive prima donnas that are unlikely to help the team long term.

geeze, another romper room thread. who woulda thunk it

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Usually a "gamer" is someone that plays hard and with a lot of effort. You are confusing the word "gamer" with "amazing" "great", "HOFer", "elite" because you are blinded by your hate for Fitzpatrick. You didn't bother to read the part where I agreed to cut bait on Fitz. SOJForum. 

well... 6 teams who signed him disagree with you. OH..and apparently so does the rest of the league.  I like FITZ, I dont think he's worth a penny more than $5 million and I dislike his position here. 

I can miss the playoffs and lose big games with Petty or Geno.

3 hours ago, jetrider said:

Petty is not in the starting picture my friend (and never will be). Please come to your senses.

It may be Geno's team on paper right now, but I'm sure Woody, Mac, Bowles, Gailey, and others would love to see Hackenberg arrive ahead of schedule.

Obviously you were too quick to respond to me. The fact that I said that if Geno smith couldnt outperform Petty that "all of us would be begging for Fitz to come back" kinda solidified the fact that Petty would be a terrible option at starter. However, when it comes to strings, Petty would most definitely be 2nd string, with Geno being the starter. Hackenberg, unless he has just a phenomenal camp, ala Russell Wilson, is not in the convo. The reason why Petty's name was even mentioned was to not only show that Hackenberg is also behind him, but for the fact that Petty has no shot in hell of starting should also show you how much of a shot Hackenberg has. It doesnt matter if he's ahead of schedule. Being ahead of schedule doesnt mean starter material. 

My senses are good, you were just quick to pull the trigger without understanding what was being said. 

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

well... 6 teams who signed him disagree with you. OH..and apparently so does the rest of the league.  I like FITZ, I dont think he's worth a penny more than $5 million and I dislike his position here. 

You want so badly to argue you keep ignoring the fact thatI agree with you.  Keep arguing with yourself if it makes you feel better. 

Too bad we didn't sign him to a team friendly 2 year deal last offseason (although he probably would of just held out anyways).....he would be a good guy to have around to help Hackenberg's transition to the league and Petty's continued growth. Much rather see him than Geno, hopefully I'm wrong and Geno has improved since we last saw him starting on a consistent basis.

It's QB desperate teams like Philly giving Bradford healthy contracts that are screwing us with these negotiations. Bradford is nothing special himself, so I don't blame Fitz for wanting a similar contract.....but also can't blame the Jets for not wanting to give it to him either.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Then there's no reason paying anything for Fitz if thats the case. He's been doing the above since before Geno and Petty were in college. Might as well give Geno a chance. Whats the worst that could happen....miss the playoffs? 

11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Then there's no reason paying anything for Fitz if thats the case. He's been doing the above since before Geno and Petty were in college. Might as well give Geno a chance. Whats the worst that could happen....miss the playoffs? 

I'm not totally against that.......  

7 hours ago, jetrider said:

That's exactly what it is. Other team leaders like Brees volunteer pay cuts to help the team.

This playoff virgin prima donna douche plays hardball and holds the Jets ransom over one .500+ season in 11 sucky years.

I hope Hackenberg shows enough soon enough for Maccagnan to cut ties with Fitz before July. 

Fitz would rather not play than lower his price. The way I see it, the player that wants to play the least shouldn't be paid the most. 

Perfectly said. Playoff virgin is the best way to put it. He did hit puberty last year though!

Archived