Ryan Fitzpatrick clear he wants to play for the Jets

Jetfan13

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

How did Fitz do last year for the Jets? That's all that matters. The rest is empty distraction. And I don't think Fitz is more than an average QB. Whether Geno can be something other than one of the worst QB's in the league is yet to be proven. For one more year, I'll take average.

Fitz did great.  Unfortunately, it was all for nothing because the Jets missed the playoffs playing vs. the easiest schedule in the history of Football.  Which will 100% happen again this year no matter who the QB.  

And for the 20th time, this has nothing to do with Geno.  It has to do with what's best for the Jets.  And IMO, Ryan Fitzpatrick is not what is best for the Jets. I see no value in bringing him back.  

The funny thing is, I'm confident he'll be back.  And that's cool.  He's an easy guy to root for but it's not in the best interest of the Jets but this is a dumb organization run by stupid people so, he'll be back.  No need to fret. This bickering is all for nothing.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

If looking at history is a waste (which I'd disagree with), then consider the most recent game action we have.  Week 17.  4th quarter in particular.

Did Fitz have decent stats, sure.  Based on some metrics.  On others not so good.  However I don't like just relying on 'em though.  That was the first decent offense we've had in years (passing wise).  It's now a passing league.  I believe Geno would've have similar if not better stats.

And agreed, there is no one better "out" there.  Already "in" here is another story though.

There is no reason to think Smith would have done as well.  That is wishful thinking, really a fantasy. 

The CS and FO could have left him in there after the Oakland game.  Given Fitz time to heal - the excuse was ready made, ready for the taking.  Yet they rushed Fitz back in there as soon as they could.

The Buffalo game has been analyzed over and over.  Imo it was a team loss, and Smith has looked far worse at times.  And before the Buffalo game, how did Fitz do down the stretch?  So he didn't win them all. 

He's still their best option.

39 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Actually no, I'm not a Geno fan.  Which makes it even worse.  I didn't want to draft him and I preferred Mark.  However given our options... I take Geno and hope for the best.  As in he went 8-8 with a crap team.  Let's see what he can do with a good team w/o having to spend big for it.

You seem to have misunderstood the "point" I was trying to make.  I sure as hell am not suggesting ANY team pay big for Fitz.  I'm saying look at what teams in the past have been gullible enough to pay big for Fitz.  You'll find your "misplaced loyalty" there.

Also I appreciate the attempt of generosity, but no need.  Anyone supporting paying big for Fitz is:

1. Comfortable with mediocrity.
  2. Or doesn't learn from history.  You know, that thing that tends to repeat itself.

Mike I'm not sure why people keep saying "paying big" for Fitz.... has this whole situation blinded people to the going rates in the NFL ??? Low end starters make 10 - 12 million in this league high end back ups are around 5-7 if not on rookie contracts  Fitz can come in at anywhere from 8-12 million. That's the facts of this situation no matter what any of us think about the player. Put the player and the debates about the player aside for a minute and think about the going rates. Now if Fitz were to be in the 16 million range like the Idiot Eagles Paid Bradford or the Texans paid Osweiler that would be a different story but everyone knows INCLUDING Fitz that's not happening. Geno Smith is a bad QB historically bad yet some here want to give him yet another year and dump Fitz altogether even though the one game he got a chance to play he showed the same signs of making really dumb decisions. That's the only mind boggling issue here.  Ive seen people say sign Fitz for 8 Mill yet 10 million is absurd ? 2 Million over a starting QB who threw 31 TD's and finally brought leadership to a team that so desparately needed it. A team that has stated over and over they want him back !! 31 TD's and leadership is not Mediocrity he was among the league leaders in TD's and had a 2/1 TD to Int ratio and in what amounts to what has become a short passing league with ball control being the norm people here talk about arm strength and deep balls.  

4 hours ago, JiF said:

I think some of the offer speculation is dictated by available funds.  But I see your point.  I think they know they have an aging offense and think Fitz is the best option.  And that's fine, if you're looking at a season by season.  

My problem with that is, what good does that do?  What do you have to show for last year?  You really think something is going to change?  Do you think Fitz gets the Jets to the playoffs?   I sure as hell dont.  So what's the point?   

I am mostly with you on this, I have seen playoffs, I have seen AFC Championship games, I want to see the Jets WIN the SB, and I only want to see them do what has the best chance of getting them in the SB in the shortest time possible, and that likely is not starting Ftiz. That said, not everyone looks at it that way, and I don't think a GM/HC in the NY market can think of it that way either. Some people say last year was worthless, we did not make the playoffs. Some would have said a first round exit last year was worthless because we did not make the SB, some were happy that we were engaged and rooting our asses off right down to the last few minutes of week 17 for the first time in years, and that is something. I just think its easy for fans to approach it that way, and career suicide for a GM/HC to do it.

2 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

There is no reason to think Smith would have done as well.  That is wishful thinking, really a fantasy. 

The CS and FO could have left him in there after the Oakland game.  Given Fitz time to heal - the excuse was ready made, ready for the taking.  Yet they rushed Fitz back in there as soon as they could.

The Buffalo game has been analyzed over and over.  Imo it was a team loss, and Smith has looked far worse at times.  And before the Buffalo game, how did Fitz do down the stretch?  So he didn't win them all. 

He's still their best option.

I realize I'm in the minority in regards to saying Geno is the better option than Fitz no matter what money is involved.  So guess I'll just have to accept that.  No sense if re-re-re-re...re-hashing the reasons.

However it's at least comforting to know the majority here at least say Geno is the better option if Fitz wants over 7mil.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

To the people griping about money...

If the rookies are signed, and Wilk is on the tag, and the roster is pretty much locked in to the point where having more cap space isn't a need for this season... what does it matter how they pay Fitz THIS YEAR.

I get the argument about not over-paying him in 2017 and beyond, because we want to keep cap space to retain our own FAs, sign other FAs, etc... but if they find a way to get Fitz paid this year, without it hurting the future... why does anyone care what that number is?

Just curious.

I ask myself the same questions... do I want to not pay him out of principle of not over-paying him, or do I want the team to have EVERY possible asset they think will make them competitive this year?

I think I'd rather enjoy football this year. 

Bingo !

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

To the people griping about money...

If the rookies are signed, and Wilk is on the tag, and the roster is pretty much locked in to the point where having more cap space isn't a need for this season... what does it matter how they pay Fitz THIS YEAR.

I get the argument about not over-paying him in 2017 and beyond, because we want to keep cap space to retain our own FAs, sign other FAs, etc... but if they find a way to get Fitz paid this year, without it hurting the future... why does anyone care what that number is?

Just curious.

I ask myself the same questions... do I want to not pay him out of principle of not over-paying him, or do I want the team to have EVERY possible asset they think will make them competitive this year?

I think I'd rather enjoy football this year. 

This is how I feel too, but I fully admit I am not a person who has the desire to learn the cap enough to understand what else could be done with the money. I would love to see someone who has a great grasp of the cap say here is what we could do with the ~$7 million or so we save by starting Geno over Fitz. Maybe it changes my stance, but I think unless we know what the deal looked like in terms of guarantees, years, etc. we just don't really understand the impact, and hopefully Mac does, because if not, we have bigger problems.

10 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Mike I'm not sure why people keep saying "paying big" for Fitz.... has this whole situation blinded people to the going rates in the NFL ??? Low end starters make 10 - 12 million in this league high end back ups are around 5-7 if not on rookie contracts  Fitz can come in at anywhere from 8-12 million. That's the facts of this situation no matter what any of us think about the player. Put the player and the debates about the player aside for a minute and think about the going rates. Now if Fitz were to be in the 16 million range like the Idiot Eagles Paid Bradford or the Texans paid Osweiler that would be a different story but everyone knows INCLUDING Fitz that's not happening. Geno Smith is a bad QB historically bad yet some here want to give him yet another year and dump Fitz altogether even though the one game he got a chance to play he showed the same signs of making really dumb decisions. That's the only mind boggling issue here.  Ive seen people say sign Fitz for 8 Mill yet 10 million is absurd ? 2 Million over a starting QB who threw 31 TD's and finally brought leadership to a team that so desparately needed it. A team that has stated over and over they want him back !! 31 TD's and leadership is not Mediocrity he was among the league leaders in TD's and had a 2/1 TD to Int ratio and in what amounts to what has become a short passing league with ball control being the norm people here talk about arm strength and deep balls.  

Two main reasons (among others):

1. Fitz is not a "starter".  Can a coach decide to start him?  Sure.  But he's not a starter.
  2. We do have another option here that can keep us from wasting even the 5-7mil on Fitz.

Though I am okay with paying Fitz 5mil to be our backup and insurance policy.  Not to mention a buffer for Petty and Hack.

6 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I am mostly with you on this, I have seen playoffs, I have seen AFC Championship games, I want to see the Jets WIN the SB, and I only want to see them do what has the best chance of getting them in the SB in the shortest time possible, and that likely is not starting Ftiz. That said, not everyone looks at it that way, and I don't think a GM/HC in the NY market can think of it that way either. Some people say last year was worthless, we did not make the playoffs. Some would have said a first round exit last year was worthless because we did not make the SB, some were happy that we were engaged and rooting our asses off right down to the last few minutes of week 17 for the first time in years, and that is something. I just think its easy for fans to approach it that way, and career suicide for a GM/HC to do it.

FWIW, I'm a playoffs or bust guy.  Your goal is to get in because once you're in anything can happen.  I truly believe the Jets were good enough to beat anyone in the AFC who made the playoffs.  So, from my perspective, No playoffs = a worthless season.  My assumption, is most coaches/players/GM's/Owners think that way.  Unless you're sitting with a Brady or Manning or Rodgers, it's probably SB or bust.

It's not just seven million we are talking about losing.

also the money that is pushed back and guaranteed will be lost too. What young talent do we have that can be restructured?

again, I'd rather win 5 or less with Geno for a top 5 pick for the Watson, Kaaya, or kelly train than win 8 with fitztragic and guarantee cap for old players.

thats just me, but I guess mike macagannan doesn't see it that way. Mac will eat crow if Fitzpatrick is benched by week 7, and will look stupid.

hope he is gone soon.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

FWIW, I'm a playoffs or bust guy.  Your goal is to get in because once you're in anything can happen.  I truly believe the Jets were good enough to beat anyone in the AFC who made the playoffs.  So, from my perspective, No playoffs = a worthless season.  My assumption, is most coaches/players/GM's/Owners think that way.  Unless you're sitting with a Brady or Manning or Rodgers, it's probably SB or bust.

OK, so let me ask you this, if you think they were good enough to beat anyone in the AFC playoffs last year, why do you think they are not going anywhere this year? If they were really that good, I expect them to be a better team this year. I agree the schedule looks brutal, but if we could beat anyone in the playoffs last year, and we are improved this year, why can't we win a few of those first few games and go on a run in the 2nd half and get in the playoffs?

6 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Here's the thing.  Yeah you want to see your team do as well as you can season long.  But how do we watch the games.  One game at a time.  And there's a whole week in between games.  How do you feel that Sunday and the week after if the Jets win as compared to lose?  It makes no difference to you?  If it makes no difference to you, I don't know why you would follow the team and the game.

The argument for tanking a season only appeals in the scenario it leads to the team being able to draft a difference making player in the next draft.  Well the Jets drafted at sixth not too long ago, and before that traded up to fifth, and before that picked sixth, and not too long before that picked 4th.  And that's just going back to 2003.

Point being, it's kind of risky counting on a high pick to make a huge difference in next year's team.

I'd rather rely on a culture of winning, a winning attitude and tradition.  And see them win as many games as possible and hopefully put it all together.

And I certainy don't see the Jets getting any closer ot the SB by starting Geno F'ing Smith.  If you really want to tank it put me in as Qb.  I could use the money.

Greatest season since Namath, lol

I just find it hilarious that some Jets fans think Fitz is the answer.

Can't wait to watch this guy perform in all those night games after Thanksgiving next year.

He will be a bigger embarrassment on national television than the butt fumble.

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Here's the thing.  Yeah you want to see your team do as well as you can season long.  But how do we watch the games.  One game at a time.  And there's a whole week in between games.  How do you feel that Sunday and the week after if the Jets win as compared to lose?  It makes no difference to you?  If it makes no difference to you, I don't know why you would follow the team and the game.

The argument for tanking a season only appeals in the scenario it leads to the team being able to draft a difference making player in the next draft.  Well the Jets drafted at sixth not too long ago, and before that traded up to fifth, and before that picked sixth, and not too long before that picked 4th.  And that's just going back to 2003.

Point being, it's kind of risky counting on a high pick to make a huge difference in next year's team.

I'd rather rely on a culture of winning, a winning attitude and tradition.  And see them win as many games as possible and hopefully put it all together.

And I certainy don't see the Jets getting any closer ot the SB by starting Geno F'ing Smith.  If you really want to tank it put me in as Qb.  I could use the money.

Cant disagree with you one bit here, good post.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Can't wait to watch this guy perform in all those night games after Thanksgiving.

Ugh, $hit.  ](*,)

Thanks for the reminder.  Smh.  The Pats fan is making more sense than many here.  

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Can't wait to watch this guy perform in all those night games after Thanksgiving.

I just find it hilarious that you spend so much time taunting Jets fans. Kind of sad really, do you need a hug? I am not offering, but maybe we can find someone to give you a hug, like a hippie or someone.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Ugh, $hit.  ](*,)

Thanks for the reminder.  Smh.  The Pats fan is making more sense than many here.  

Maybe when the season starts and Fitz is under center you can meet TX at a sports bar and make fun of your starting QB together. The same starting QB that should have beat his team 2 times last year.

8 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Can't wait to watch this guy perform in all those night games after Thanksgiving next year.

Well if our team is an embarrassment on the field. (and we weren't). Not one tenth as much as your team is off the field. I mean does this chump really want to take it to the Supreme Court. 

14 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

OK, so let me ask you this, if you think they were good enough to beat anyone in the AFC playoffs last year, why do you think they are not going anywhere this year? If they were really that good, I expect them to be a better team this year. I agree the schedule looks brutal, but if we could beat anyone in the playoffs last year, and we are improved this year, why can't we win a few of those first few games and go on a run in the 2nd half and get in the playoffs?

Fair question.  

Main reason I think they could have beat anyone last year was because the field was terrible.  The way the D was playing coming into Week 17, I felt like they could shut most offenses down that made the playoffs in the AFC.  It was more about the D than the O and the field than the team.

This upcoming schedule is brutal.  And while I dont put a ton of stock into preseason rankings, the schedule is just not favorable at all playing vs  the AFCN and NFCW.

I think the AFCE is going to much harder this year as well as the AFC in general. 

I think Fitzpatrick regresses back to his normal self.  I do think he appeared on paper better than he was. 

The offense is aging, I'm not sure they can repeat the same production.

The D is transitioning a little bit.  That could be a problem this year.  

That's the most of it.  

Maybe when the season starts and Fitz is under center you can meet TX at a sports bar and make fun of your starting QB together. The same starting QB that should have beat his team 2 times last year.

Fitz struggled to beat the Pats backup players (8 starters did not play in that game) and then in a win-and-in game he proceeded to $hit the bed by throwing 3 picks in the 4th quarter.

Yea, the guy is an awesome NFL QB.

Good luck moving forward with an 11-year loser.

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

Fitz struggled to beat the Pats backup players (8 starters did not play in that game) and then in a win-and-in game he proceeded to $hit the bed by throwing 3 picks in the 4th quarter.

lance-armstrong-its-impossible-to-win-th

Well if our team is an embarrassment on the field. (and we weren't). Not one tenth as much as your team is off the field. I mean does this chump really want to take it to the Supreme Court. 

4 Super Bowl titles in the last 15 years.

What have the Jets accomplished in the last 15 years?

Oh yea, they lost 2 Conference Championship games 6 and 7 years ago.

Awesome.

I'd like to know who is facing the cut if we decide to go with fitz over geno? We have a patchy Oline that I read is most expensive in NFL? Clady has seen much more time on injury list than starting. I think we are undervaluing the effect Marshall,decker and gaily had on the decent success fitz had last yr. don't just look at those stats. Marshall saved him from at least half a dozen more easy picks.. We were close to benching fitz early -mid season. How bad do you think fitz would have been without Marshall ? I think he would have been just as bad as geno was. Fitz shhit the bed bad last game of season when playoffs were on the line.. give fitz a 7 day deadline. Show the rest of the players he is not above the team. I don't think they deserve to be left in limbo like this.. They are not going to work extra hard with geno knowing he may be gone tomorrow.. 

12 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Nope, once signed I root for the laundry.  Except for Tebow.  Fu(kin despised that POS.

Until signed however, Fitz above 5mil gets zero support from me.  After he signs whatever ludicrous deal, I pray I was wrong and root for the best.

I'd buy 135 a beer any day of the week in a sports bar.

He's a smart Jets fan.

13 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Awesome.

I hope the courts go tell him to shove it!

7 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

He's a smart Jets fan.

The same here.  (Even though you do root for cheaters.)  I'm over at PatsFan, so I know what it's like being behind enemy lines.  However I definitely do take more abuse over there than you seem to get here.

38 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

excellent question

23 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Ahh it was Fitz who Struggled .... not the Jets right ?? Get lost already don't you have a Miami Forum waiting for your troll a$$ ?

14 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

He's a smart Jets fan.

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

The same here.  (Even though you do root for cheaters.)  I'm over at PatsFan, so I know what it's like being behind enemy lines.  However I definitely do take more abuse over there than you seem to get here.

Someone hose these two down

25 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Awesome.

What have you accomplished in the last 15 years ? Oh that's right your a troll who has 21000 posts on an opposing teams message board.  Basement much ?

29 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Awesome.

Lance-Armstrong-006.jpg

47 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

There's that and most people forget the teams in our division play the same 10 teams we do. That's 6 against division rivals and 4 vs a common division. Its kind of makes the battle of the tough schedule within our division.  I think we unseat the Pats this year.

How long you been on Patsfan?

Do they know you are a Jets fan?

I got banned on my teams message board because I was too "negative".

JN is a much better board.

Archived