Report: Jets Offer to Fitz at $12 Million in First Year of 3-Year/$24M Deal

JetNation

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

They would see the histories of each player (stats, situations they were in, age...) and also see the current Jets situation  (players, coaches, cap space) and come to the only reasonable solution.

Who's the man?

Geno da man!

you just said they couldn't watch geno play. but they are allowed to get your version of the rundown.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ylekram said:

you just said they couldn't watch geno play. but they are allowed to get your version of the rundown.

... that was in the insanely hypothetical universe where either player's history has no bearing on the outcome.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

That's not my logic.  I consider history extremely important.  I'm trying to discuss with those that say Fitz's history doesn't matter.

no, you said if fitz's 2005 didn't matter than genos 1st 3 years don't matter. 1 is ancient history and 1 is recent history. in ancient history, we were ruled by the british. in recent history, we are the united states

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

... that was in the insanely hypothetical universe where either players' history has no bearing on the outcome.

of course, if I didn't know 1 qb was better than the other, I too, would go with the cheaper option. but that's not how this works

1 minute ago, ylekram said:

no, you said if fitz's 2005 didn't matter than genos 1st 3 years don't matter. 1 is ancient history and 1 is recent history. in ancient history, we were ruled by the british. in recent history, we are the united states

In the most recent history Fitz failed miserably when it counted the most.

In short... Fitz was...  wait for it...   ...   ...   ...   Fitz.

3 hours ago, ylekram said:

in no way, shape, or form is it a 1 year contract. its a 3 year deal. period. with this one, it really doesn't matter what the guaranteed money is, either. 12m guaranteed? 18m guaranteed? doesn't matter. if he is on the jets roster all of year 1, its 12m. if he is on the jets roster year 2, its 6m. regardless if he is a back up or starting. fitz has no say in year 2 or 3. only the jets do. the 1st year money is top dollar for fitz, the 2nd and 3rd years shoehorn fitz into backup pay whether he is starting or not. this is a weird contract and I don't see any player out there that would sign this deal

Believe what you want. Not a chance he plays under year 2 of this contract.

3 minutes ago, ylekram said:

Take your pick of however you'd like to cherry pick history to suit your argument.

Only recent history?  Fitz failed.

All history?  Fitz blows.

Only Fitz's good games last year?  Fitz was good!  Woo Hoo!  But Geno could've been better.

In the most recent history Fitz failed miserably when it counted the most.

In short... Fitz was...  wait for it...   ...   ...   ...   Fitz.

what has geno done? oh, that's right. he is cheap.lol

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Believe what you want. Not a chance he plays under year 2 of this contract.

I don't think you understood my post or even read a word of it. if, in your words, there isn't a chance he plays in year 2, then why in the world would he sign it? let me guess. because he sucks, right? lol

Just now, Mike135 said:

That's not my logic.  I consider history extremely important.  I'm trying to discuss with those that say Fitz's history doesn't matter.

It matters and that's why he isn't getting offered even an average to low starter's contract which according to market an unbelievable 16 mil per season. It's like some fans on this board can't comprehend that. That NFL starting Qbs make that much. I mean look at the cash cow that is the NFL. And who are their most marketable and recognizable players. The starting Qbs. Fitz isn't getting that kind of money because of previous performance. He doesn't have a body of work on that level. One more good year and he might. Call him rag arm if you want and try to explain away his success in 2015. I mean I've heard it all everything from weather you name it. It's just silly and vindictive. The bottom line is what he did last year and it was good. You have to pay him for that.

Fitz-Geno-Petty-Hack 

All a bunch of losers who haven't won a damn thing in the NFL 

Fitz 11 years 6 teams 

Geno 3 years 1 team 

Petty 1 year 1 team 

Hack Rookie 

Why sign a guy  with money you dont have who has shown over and over again he cant stay with a team cant win a big game and cant make the playoffs 

what has geno done? oh, that's right. he is cheap.lol

And has more potential.  

Fitz is a guaranteed waste of decent money and a waste of young talent behind him all for mediocrity.  

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It matters and that's why he isn't getting offered even an average to low starter's contract which according to market an unbelievable 16 mil per season. It's like some fans on this board can't comprehend that. That NFL starting Qbs make that much. I mean look at the cash cow that is the NFL. And who are their most marketable and recognizable players. The starting Qbs. Fitz isn't getting that kind of money because of previous performance. He doesn't have a body of work on that level. One more good year and he might. Call him rag arm if you want and try to explain away his success in 2015. I mean I've heard it all everything from weather you name it. It's just silly and vindictive. The bottom line is what he did last year and it was good. You have to pay him for that.

Fitz is not a starter.

This team was good enough to get 10 wins with a backup last year.  Deciding to pay that backup like a starter (even cheaply) will hurt this team for years to come.

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Take your pick of however you'd like to cherry pick history to suit your argument.

Only recent history?  Fitz failed.

All history?  Fitz blows.

Only Fitz's good games last year?  Fitz was good!  Woo Hoo!  But Geno could've been better.

cherry pick history? lol you want to rewrite history. geno didn't get a fair chance.it doesn't count. he is actually as good as anybody, even tho there is not one shred of proof, but actual proof of the contrary

cherry pick history? lol you want to rewrite history. geno didn't get a fair chance.it doesn't count. he is actually as good as anybody, even tho there is not one shred of proof, but actual proof of the contrary

There's also no she'd of proof he won't succeed with a good team around him.  We know Fitz won't as he's proven.

Potential vs no potential.

#Don'tWasteTheCapSpace

Geno: terrible

Petty: why did they draft Hack then

Hack: coming off 2 bad years in a row at Penn State

Fitz: a lot of NFL starts and coming off of a career year. Knows the offense, works well with the OC, liked by the players esp 2 star Wrs.

It's no contest!

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Geno: terrible

Petty: why did they draft Hack then

Hack: coming off 2 bad years in a row at Penn State

Fitz: a lot of NFL starts and coming off of a career year. Knows the offense, works well with the OC, liked by the players esp 2 star Wrs.

It's no contest!

A popularity contest is how you choose a starting QB in the NFL. 

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Fitz is not a starter.

This team was good enough to get 10 wins with a backup last year.  Deciding to pay that backup like a starter (even cheaply) will hurt this team for years to come.

So the team was good enough to get 10 wins with Fitz last year

what do you say has happened with the overall talent of the FO, Coaching Staff, & 53 man roster since then?

gotten better

remained close to the same

gotten worse?

1 minute ago, ljr said:

So the team was good enough to get 10 wins with Fitz last year

what do you say has happened with the overall talent of the FO, Coaching Staff, & 53 man roster since then?

gotten better

remained close to the same

gotten worse?

If Fitz starts... decently better.

If Geno starts... much better.

The two most dumbfounding deals for Qbs this off season were the Osweiler contract (on the one end) and Hoyer on the other. Osweiler only had 7 starts and got the huge deal and Hoyer who was a starter last year got only 2 mil. Probably the Bears gave him some incentives in case he plays but not sure. Also not sure if Fitz's agent is in touch with other teams if things don't work out with the Jets. I assume so because he's a prominent and well connected agent. I don't think that Fitz would be left out in the cold the way Hoyer was. And if injuries either in camp or during the season he could get low starter money. 

16 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

There's also no she'd of proof he won't succeed with a good team around him.  We know Fitz won't as he's proven.

Potential vs no potential.

#Don'tWasteTheCapSpace

this is probably the funniest thing you have ever posted. geno sucked for 2 years. along come the excuses and now there is no proof he wont succeed. there is no proof petty wont take us to the super bowl this year,either. get a grip

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

The two most dumbfounding deals for Qbs this off season were the Osweiler contract (on the one end) and Hoyer on the other. Osweiler only had 7 starts and got the huge deal and Hoyer who was a starter last year got only 2 mil. Probably the Bears gave him some incentives in case he plays but not sure. So not sure if Fitz's agent is in touch with other teams if things don't work out with the Jets. I assume so because he's a prominent and well connected agent. I don't think that Fitz would be left out in the cold the way Hoyer was. And if injuries either in camp or during the season he could get low starter money. 

Agreed.  

Fitz has 3 options now:

1. Retire, but I doubt that happens.
  2. Finally, after 11 years and a huge reminder week 17, he accepts what he is.  A good career backup who can comfortably start some games.  Sign with Jets for a better deal than he's actually worth.  End his career with us helping young guys grow and being a good teammate.
  3. Keep fighting for every dollar.  Short of the unrealistic option of coming back to us for 5mil per, I hope he chooses this.  Turn down the Jets offer and wait for an injury.  There's a very good chance it'll happen by week 4.  And as the best available option, force the team to pay him big.

17 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

If Fitz starts... decently better.

If Geno starts... much better.

Lol ... So placing on the shelf our differing opinions on Geno

if Fitz starts there certainly is a chance at 2016 post-season

4 minutes ago, ylekram said:

this is probably the funniest thing you have ever posted. geno sucked for 2 years. along come the excuses and now there is no proof he wont succeed. there is no proof petty wont take us to the super bowl this year,either. get a grip

True.  However there is proof Fitz won't.

2 minutes ago, ljr said:

Lol ... So placing on the shelf our differing opinions on Geno

if Fitz starts there certainly is a chance at 2016 post-season

History and logic say otherwise, but sure there's a small chance.

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Samuel Johnson once quipped that a second marriage was "the triumph of hope over experience." Perhaps he knew Geno Smith too. :)

The Jets are gonna marry someone.

Either choose the chick you're still technically married to that you had a rough couple years with while you were strapped for cash, had the insane in-laws living with you and were raising kids from hell.  Hoping for better times now.

Or pay for a huge wedding for some chick with facial hair who's been married 5 other times.  Each time screwing over their ex-husband while leaving them broke and in the gutter.

Me?  I don't like chicks with beards.

History a logic say otherwise, but sure there's a small chance.

Look if we're dealing with percentage chances for success then Geno is not the starter. I guarantee if we sign Fitz our Vegas odds (for winning) improve. With Geno we're just ahead of the Browns.

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

History and logic say otherwise, but sure there's a small chance.

Lol ... You are almost there brother!

History  say Fitz QB'd us to 10 wins last season.

you believe the team has gotten better

throw a whole bunch of variables into the blender with SOS, player health, coaching improvements, team unity, funny bounces of the ball, etc. ... Stir ... And if the mix comes out in our favor.

wouldnt logic say there is a reasonable chance ?

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Look if we're dealing with percentage chances for success then Geno is not the starter. I guarantee if we sign Fitz our Vegas odds (for winning) improve. With Geno we're just ahead of the Browns.

If Geno starts and Vegas gives like 100 to 1 odds, that's a bet I happily throw a $100 on.

If Fitz starts and Vegas gives us 50 to 1 odds, I'd rather spend the money on scratch offs.

Just now, Mike135 said:

If Geno starts and Vegas gives like 100 to 1 odds, that's a bet I happily throw a $100 on.

If Fitz starts and Vegas gives us 50 to 1 odds, I'd rather spend the money on scratch offs.

I'd see what else I could buy in Vegas for that $100 ;)

Archived