Report: Jets Offer to Fitz at $12 Million in First Year of 3-Year/$24M Deal

JetNation

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Jets' contract proposal to free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick is worth $24 million over three years.

A New York Post report late last week stated the Jets offered Fitzpatrick $12 million in year one of the offer, but Robinson reports the final two years are only worth an average of $6 million annually. Robinson characterizes it as "starter money" in year one, then "elite backup" pay in years two and three. Fitzpatrick presumably wants to be paid "starter money" in all three years. Although we still anticipate the Jets and Fitzpatrick meeting somewhere in the middle, at present the sides remain in a holding pattern without a resolution in sight.

May 29 - 3:25 PM

Well the details of the offer are out.  I'm sure GMs have been anxiously awaiting word with phone in hand ready to call Fitz's agent.  Now we can sit back and watch all the better offers come in.  Let the Fitz-free agency bidding war begin!

That's a really generous offer.  $12 mill first year and guaranteed starter. Year two and three, he serves as a backup/mentor to Hack and Petty.  If he is summoned to play in year 2-3, then throw some incentives in there.  Sooner or later, the Jets need to get the kids feet wet. Fitz resumes his role that he was initially signed for in year 2-3.  Fitz saves face, Mac saves face and Geno gets cut. All sides win.    

On May 28, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Jet Nut said:

Well he is overrated. 

Cant figure out why people talk about him so much...

Well that might be the dumbest thing you ever posted, and that is saying something.  

yea you wouldn't take Cam Newton to be the Jets starting Qb.   < shaking my head in disbelief>

On 5/29/2016 at 5:36 AM, ylekram said:

I hold that belief. the jets were a few bad plays away from an 11 win, playoff bound season. nothing changes this year. so what, the schedule is tougher this year. the schedule has very little mathematical chance as being as hard as expected. I fully expect another 10 win season. I think fitz is the best option.. fitz will be back. I want mac to sign him as cheap as he can. I wont set a cap of an acceptable dollar amount. that's the gm's job at the end of the day. short year deals don't set franchises back. what sets franchises back is going with a cheaper alternative rather than the best option at important positions.. mac see's that. he aint worried about short term money. if you are wrapped up in your beliefs and would rather be right(not saying that's the deal) I think you are going to be disappointed this year. call me crazy, tell me to lay off the sauce or pass the blunt, but I have a strong feeling the jets are going to be better than you think this year. but to answer your question, since I think this jets team is playoff caliber,if it takes 12m guaranteed for the 1st year of the contract to get fitz thru the door, I wont be too crazy about the dollar amount, but you wont hear me bitchin too much either

For me its hard to see it that way. You say we were a few bad plays away from an 11 win season, but you can also say that we were a few bonehead decisions away from an 8 win season. If Tom Coughlin called for a chip fieldgoal instead of going for it on 4th and 2 the Jet would have lost the game by 3.  If that Patriots player didnt misspeak during the coin toss for overtime and the Patriots got the ball first they could have very well taken that game. 

So if someone would say that "This is how close we were to being an 8-8 football team" it would be equally as controversial as saying that we were a few bad plays away from being an 11 win team. 

At the end of the day we won 10 games and didnt make the playoffs. This season is also an outlier for Fitzpatrick, kinda like Kirk Cousins. This is why the Redskins got him on the tag instead of a contract because they dont want to lock into him for what was ultimately an outlier season. 

Jets fans could be equally as skeptical about Fitzpatrick, especially given his history. 

On 5/28/2016 at 6:37 PM, Rangers9 said:

I'm not going along with anything. I never said any of those reports were true and went out of my wait to question all of them. And still do although PFT kind of gave them some verification. That goes for all of these high numbers the press has been throwing out like Fitz asking for Osweiler money that some of you guys jumped all over. 

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Jets' contract proposal to free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick is worth $24 million over three years.

A New York Post report late last week stated the Jets offered Fitzpatrick $12 million in year one of the offer, but Robinson reports the final two years are only worth an average of $6 million annually. Robinson characterizes it as "starter money" in year one, then "elite backup" pay in years two and three. Fitzpatrick presumably wants to be paid "starter money" in all three years. Although we still anticipate the Jets and Fitzpatrick meeting somewhere in the middle, at present the sides remain in a holding pattern without a resolution in sight.

Where there is this much smoke there is usually some fire. 

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Where there is this much smoke there is usually some fire. 

You're right. All of those figures could have some validity even the 16 mil figure that has been angering Fitz haters. He might at the start of negotiations originally asked for it as a starting point. You start with a high figure and work it down to a final deal. On the other side maybe the Jets started at 7 mil. I mean these are the numbers we've been hearing but all with unidentified sources which means they all could be BS. Again there is no data on how much guaranteed money the Jets are offering. But he couldn't just take the 12 mil in year one and then split. And there are reported incentives as a part of that 24 mil figure. And some that could raise it to 36 mil. So if that's the Jets final offer then no deal. 

16 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I think if Fitz believes in himself he'll nix it and take the best backup deal he can get for one year. And hope the market opens up in 2017. He could wait deep into training camp to see if there's any more demand. You know like in injuries. You don't try to embarrass your starting Qb by leaking to the press a number that makes him look bad for not accepting it. And the deal is structured to pay him less money but make it seem like he's getting more. Not the way to go. 

So your suggestion is that he passes on $12M to start this year to accept $6M or less to be a backup somewhere else, so that in 2017 he'll be in high demand and really cash in? How exactly does that work? He's coming off the best season of his career, and not another team in the league is interested in him. He's gonna be a hotter commodity after a year as a backup? 

The Jets are making it clear that they don't see Fitz as a starter, they see him as a stop-gap. And $12M for a year of stop-gapping is damn good money. A lot more than anyone else is offering, mostly because it's a lot more than he's worth. This is a high offer, and the Jets shouldn't budge from it. If Fitz would rather take a backup job or retire than take the Jets' $12M, let him. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

So your suggestion is that he passes on $12M to start this year to accept $6M or less to be a backup somewhere else, so that in 2017 he'll be in high demand and really cash in? How exactly does that work? He's coming off the best season of his career, and not another team in the league is interested in him. He's gonna be a hotter commodity after a year as a backup? 

The Jets are making it clear that they don't see Fitz as a starter, they see him as a stop-gap. And $12M for a year of stop-gapping is damn good money. A lot more than anyone else is offering, mostly because it's a lot more than he's worth. This is a high offer, and the Jets shouldn't budge from it. If Fitz would rather take a backup job or retire than take the Jets' $12M, let him. 

Look he doesn't get 12 mil for just next year. It's a part of a 3 year front loaded deal. He can't just take the 12 mil and leave after year 1. That's why this 12 figure is deceptive.  It's a great number for him for sure: let the Jets give it to him on a one year only contract. He should be able to get 7 or 8 for one season elsewhere which is high backup money rather than be tied to a bad deal. I think a one year deal just might be the solution. I'm thinking in the one year for 10 vicinity. Then if the Jets want they can go in a different direction. If Fitz has another good year he's on the open market and can re-sign or go somewhere else and his market value will be higher and maybe more starting jobs available. 

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look he doesn't get 12 mil for just next year. It's a part of a 3 year front loaded deal. He can't just take the 12 mil and leave after year 1. That's why this 12 figure is deceptive.  It's a great number for him for sure: let the Jets give it to him on a one year only contract. He should be able to get 7 or 8 for one season elsewhere which is high backup money rather than be tied to a bad deal. I think a one year deal just might be the solution. I'm thinking in the one year for 10 vicinity. Then if the Jets want they can go in a different direction. If Fitz has another good year he's on the open market and can re-sign or go somewhere else and his market value will be higher and maybe more starting jobs available. 

Anyway you look at it he isn't worth this kind of money 31 other NFL teams said NO 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Anyway you look at it he isn't worth this kind of money 31 other NFL teams said NO 

We don't know that or what Fitz would accept. He can get a job in the NFL, no problem. There are no starters jobs available this season at this time. That could change. If someone gets injured there could be a bigger market for Fitz. And there could be a few teams who could decide to go in a different direction as for their starter, So Fitz could take a one year deal as a higher paid backup somewhere. Or the Jets could raise their offer to a figure he would reluctantly accept. A one year deal if the Jets believe he's not going to be in their future. Or for a few mil per season more a 2 or 3 year contract. You know like a 3/30/16 guaranteed. Again it is idiotic to fight with your starting Qb over a couple of million bucks. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Without seeing the offer it's hard to say, but I'd say it's likely that they're looking to spread some bonus money out over those three years to reduce the cap hit this year. And also, in exchange for that generous first year, they'd like him to stick around in the professional backup role to which he's more suited. 

It's a very good offer. More than anyone else is offering, by far. To pass on that for potential hypotheticals would be foolish. 

Just now, slats said:

Without seeing the offer it's hard to say, but I'd say it's likely that they're looking to spread some bonus money out over those three years to reduce the cap hit this year. And also, in exchange for that generous first year, they'd like him to stick around in the professional backup role to which he's more suited. 

It's a very good offer. More than anyone else is offering, by far. To pass on that for potential hypotheticals would be foolish. 

Not a good offer. And it's structuring is deceptive. He really doesn't get 12 million for the first season. He gets 8 mil. The bottom line is the average he gets paid per year. If they only want him for one year then again give him a starters salary for year one only. He obviously doesn't look at himself as the Jets future backup. Look if a starting Qb gets injured you think a team isn't going to be interested in him for 12 mil next season. Are they going to wreck their season over that amount of money. We've seen teams like Dallas lose their starter and completely fell apart. 

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Not a good offer. And it's structuring is deceptive. He really doesn't get 12 million for the first season. He gets 8 mil. The bottom line is the average he gets paid per year. If they only want him for one year then again give him a starters salary for year one only. He obviously doesn't look at himself as the Jets future backup. Look if a starting Qb gets injured you think a team isn't going to be interested in him for 12 mil next season. Are they going to wreck their season over that amount of money. We've seen teams like Dallas lose their starter and completely fell apart. 

No, the bottom line is how much money he has in the bank. He does, absolutely get $12M the first year. Not 8, 12. 

How Fitz apparently sees himself is the reason he's currently unemployed. The Jets don't care how he sees himself, their concern -and rightly so- is how they see him. I don't understand why you're so concerned about Fitzpatrick's feelings. He's a smart guy, he recognizes that the NFL is a business, even if you don't. I certainly don't begrudge him trying to get every penny he can, but at the same time I see absolutely no reason for the Jets to up what is already the highest offer being made for his services. How he sees himself, how he feels, if he thinks he's being low-balled or insulted, not a word of that matters. The Jets have the best offer on the table, take it or leave it. 

21 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The offer was quite clear.  $24 million deal with $12 million guaranteed in year 1.  Period.  Not anything less as you claim.  Depending on what % of that $12 million is bonus and what % is salary, some of the cap hit of that $12 million will be spread out into years 2 and 3 (or until he is cut if sooner when it all accelerates), but make no mistake... Fitz pockets $12 million guaranteed in year one.  After year one there was $6 million not guaranteed for year 2 and another $6 million not guaranteed for year 3.

If this isn't good enough for the bearded journeyman, then we'll will see you later, Fitz.  Hello Geno. (ugh).  

I, for one, will be extremely disappointed in Mac if he pussies out and offers Fitz even another dollar.  The offer is more than fair, in fact it is generous considering Fitz has no other offers and if he did it would be for way less than this.  Screw him.  He should get down on his knees and thank Mac for such a rich, undeserved deal.

11 minutes ago, slats said:

No, the bottom line is how much money he has in the bank. He does, absolutely get $12M the first year. Not 8, 12. 

How Fitz apparently sees himself is the reason he's currently unemployed. The Jets don't care how he sees himself, their concern -and rightly so- is how they see him. I don't understand why you're so concerned about Fitzpatrick's feelings. He's a smart guy, he recognizes that the NFL is a business, even if you don't. I certainly don't begrudge him trying to get every penny he can, but at the same time I see absolutely no reason for the Jets to up what is already the highest offer being made for his services. How he sees himself, how he feels, if he thinks he's being low-balled or insulted, not a word of that matters. The Jets have the best offer on the table, take it or leave it. 

And 6 mil in year and year 3. The bottom line is he gets 8 mil per season. And how much is guaranteed? He can't just quit after one year and pocket the 12 mil. If it's been on the table for 3 months no wonder he hasn't signed it. Again if the Jets don't want him as their starter in years 2 or 3 give him a one year deal for starter's money. He might have more value on the open market than you think he does. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

And 6 mil in year and year 3. The bottom line is he gets 8 mil per season. And how much is guaranteed? He can't just quit after one year and pocket the 12 mil. If it's been on the table for 3 months no wonder he hasn't signed it. Again if the Jets don't want him as their starter in years 2 or 3 give him a one year deal for starter's money. He might have more value on the open market than you think he does. 

He can't just quit (retire) because he's under contract?  LOL.  It's happened many times before.  And, the Jets could decide to dump him after year 1 is over and Fitz got his $12 million for a single year.  ANyway you slice it, the offer was for $12 milllion guaranteed and that $12 million would be fully paid to Fitz in year one.  Just because it would all average out to $8 million per year in the unlikely case that Fitz hung around for all 3 years is irrelevant.

I think it was more than fair.  If the Jets cut Fitz (or if he retires) after year 1, he pocketed $12 million.  That will pay for all his little bearded kids' college and grad school.  If Fitz hangs around 2 years, then he would have received $12 million in year one + $6 million in year 2 (likely backing up Hack) for a total of $18 million (Averaging $9 million per).  Still not too shabby for a journeyman that nobody else wants.  Finally, If somehow, some way, tragically for the Jets, Fitz starts all 3 years, not only does that mean that Hack is likely a bust, but that  Fitz winds up averaging $8 million per year.

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I dont understand your argument? Whats the big deal? You're talking about some sort of "deception" with the contract. Well how deceptive is it if YOU were able to see what the contract was worth? Whatever that contract is worth, that is still the best contract he's been offered so how or why is this a problem? 

This simply sounds like you expect the Jets to bid against themselves because you want Fitzpatrick back in order to "follow up on that success", amirite? This argument you're having here holds no water. The Jets didnt just offer him the best contract he's seen since becoming a free agent but the jets are the ONLY team left currently offering him a contract. 

What is your argument really about? 

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The offer was quite clear.  $24 million deal with $12 million guaranteed in year 1.  Period.  Not anything less as you claim.  Depending on what % of that $12 million is bonus and what % is salary, some of the cap hit of that $12 million will be spread out into years 2 and 3 (or until he is cut if sooner when it all accelerates), but make no mistake... Fitz pockets $12 million guaranteed in year one.  After year one there was $6 million not guaranteed for year 2 and another $6 million not guaranteed for year 3.

If this isn't good enough for the bearded journeyman, then we'll will see you later, Fitz.  Hello Geno. (ugh).  

I, for one, will be extremely disappointed in Mac if he pussies out and offers Fitz even another dollar.  The offer is more than fair, in fact it is generous considering Fitz has no other offers and if he did it would be for way less than this.  Screw him.  He should get down on his knees and thank Mac for such a rich, undeserved deal.

That isn't the deal. The 12 mil isn't  guaranteed for year 1 and he can leave and be a free agent. It is linked to years 2 and 3. And there have been no reports on guaranteed money. Every media source says they don't know. Anyways just give him 1 year at 12 period. No year 2 or year 3. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

That isn't the deal. The 12 mil isn't  guaranteed for year 1 and he can leave and be a free agent. It is linked to years 2 and 3. And there have been no reports on guaranteed money. Every media source says they don't know. Anyways just give him 1 year at 12 period. No year 2 or year 3. 

So you say that "this isnt the deal" obviously based on what media sources say, then you turn around 3 sentences later and say "every media source says they dont know". 

So how the hell do YOU know? 

You just want Fitzpatrick back. Just say that. 

14 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He's unemployed on Memorial Day. I think it's far more likely that he has less value than you or he thinks he has. 

14 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It is the deal that has been reported by multiple sources.  If those sources are incorrect, then so be it.... because all we can do here is evaluate what the reporters tell us.   Finally, if it is the offer, then my post is 100% on target as to the economics of it.

52 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

We don't know that or what Fitz would accept. He can get a job in the NFL, no problem. There are no starters jobs available this season at this time. That could change. If someone gets injured there could be a bigger market for Fitz. And there could be a few teams who could decide to go in a different direction as for their starter, So Fitz could take a one year deal as a higher paid backup somewhere. Or the Jets could raise their offer to a figure he would reluctantly accept. A one year deal if the Jets believe he's not going to be in their future. Or for a few mil per season more a 2 or 3 year contract. You know like a 3/30/16 guaranteed. Again it is idiotic to fight with your starting Qb over a couple of million bucks. 

The current status is he doesn't have a job 32 NFL teams didnt sign him he obviously cannot get a job. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

He's unemployed on Memorial Day. I think it's far more likely that he has less value than you or he thinks he has. 

I don't know why this is so hard for people to grasp.  There is 1 team in the NFL that needs him to start for them and that is all he needs.  Maccs boss wants him and maccs head coach hates every other QB on the roster.  That gives fitz all the leverage he needs

It is also likely a QB will get injured or arrested, giving fitz more leverage if he waits into August

If reports are to be believed, the structure of this deal is offensive.  "hey come start for a year, then take lock yourself into back up money for 2 years because jets"

nobody here would take that deal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if the jets want him for 1 year, give him a 1 year deal, this way he can bet on himself and have options after next year

1 minute ago, Larz said:

I don't know why this is so hard for people to grasp.  There is 1 team in the NFL that needs him to start for them and that is all he needs.  Maccs boss wants him and maccs head coach hates every other QB on the roster.  That gives fitz all the leverage he needs

It is also likely a QB will get injured or arrested, giving fitz more leverage if he waits into August

If reports are to be believed, the structure of this deal is offensive.  "hey come start for a year, then take lock yourself into back up money for 2 years because jets"

if the jets want him for 1 year, give him a 1 year deal, this way he can bet on himself and have options after next year

If the Jets NEEDED him that bad they would meet his demands and we wouldn't be having this discussion. 

1 minute ago, Larz said:

I tend to agree with the bolded above, however the reason for the phony year 3 (and probably the phony year 2 as well) is to defer some of the cap hit of that $12 million he receives in year 1.  What we haven't been told is how much of that guaranteed $12 million would be bonus and how much would be salary.  The bonus portion cap hit of the $12 would be spread out over 3 years (or two, if Fitz is cut after year 2).  

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Heard Jodie McDonald last night basically paraphrasing Ron Wolf. 31 teams have already passed on Fitz. Only leverage Fitz has is if between now and a few weeks into camp some team loses a starter long-term and  they do not trust their backup. And further would have to be a team other the legion of teams Fitz has already played for. And again, that means a starter who's 1. done for the year or almost and 2. a backup that they do not trust. And in August most teams are going to go with the backup, especially if it is not a win now team. Combing through teams that he hasn't played for and have backups they don't like or trust  is a nonexistent list, except for ..The Jets. And even then, NOBODY is writing him checks this big nor for more than a season. The chances the conditions 1 and 2 both being met are very close to less than 2%, and there is zero chance of a long term contract.

The Jets are really Fitz's best shot, period.If he wants to string it out to miss some camp, fine, because he's a smart enough guy to stay in shape. But there is no way anyone is paying him close to the Jets' numbers . And there is not ever going to be a better offer. Sign the goddamn contract and get on with this . 

27 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The Jets can't offer him a 1 year 12 million deal, it's 3 years so they can spread the initial 12 million through 3 years in a signing bonus lessening the 2016 cap hit, he might only make 6 million per in the final 2 years, but the Jets will be on the hook for roughly 10 mill per with 8 mill in dead cap money if cut after first year, and 4 mill dead money if cut after 2nd year.  Again I say roughly it would probably be a touch smaller as the signing bonus will be less than 12 mill, but the Jets will want it as high as possible to push as much as possible to future years on the cap because of how strapped they are this year.

Wish they would just let him walk, this team isn't winning a SB with, or without him, and the offensive roster is about a year, and half away from complete decimation.

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I tend to agree with the bolded above, however the reason for the phony year 3 (and probably the phony year 2 as well) is to defer some of the cap hit of that $12 million he receives in year 1.  What we haven't been told is how much of that guaranteed $12 million would be bonus and how much would be salary.  The bonus portion cap hit of the $12 would be spread out over 3 years (or two, if Fitz is cut after year 2).  

ok fine just give him a couple of car dealerships ;-)

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The Jets can't offer him a 1 year 12 million deal, it's 3 years so they can spread the initial 12 million through 3 years in a signing bonus lessening the 2016 cap hit, he might only make 6 million per in the final 2 years, but the Jets will be on the hook for roughly 10 mill per with 8 mill in dead cap money if cut after first year, and 4 mill dead money if cut after 2nd year.  Again I say roughly it would probably be a touch smaller as the signing bonus will be less than 12 mill, but the Jets will want it as high as possible to push as much as possible to future years on the cap because of how strapped they are this year.

Wish they would just let him walk, this team isn't winning a SB with, or without him, and the offensive roster is about a year, and half away from complete decimation.

Wait, so the only "deception" here is against the cap and not against Fitz getting 12 million the first year? 

@Rangers9 should have recognized that. 

Archived