Report: Jets Offer to Fitz at $12 Million in First Year of 3-Year/$24M Deal

JetNation

On 5/28/2016 at 0:35 PM, Rangers9 said:

Does Mac have that much experience negotiating contracts esp one that is as controversial and high profile as this one. And to handle a salary cap. Look, he spent most of it his first year. When you see him he looks pretty confident esp maybe after being named Exec of the Year. But to me this wasn't a great move by him to leak this info (if true) and it doesn't look favorable on the FO and him. It's possible he could lose his starting Qb. 

No he doesn't and that's why Jackie Davidson is on the payroll

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jett said:

He's going to sign after OTA's or maybe during training camp. Strahan, Favre, they all do this to avoid doing practices. 

Thats the word on the street? 

Strahan and Favre were both franchise players, superbowl winners and hall of famers. I dont think Fitz fits within that group of players who can do that. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Strahan and Favre were both franchise players, superbowl winners and hall of famers. I dont think Fitz fits within that group of players who can do that. 

Of course he doesn't. But he has a contract available, that the team has made clear they won't pull, so why sign it now? He's not Strahan or Favre, but he's in a a similar situation, where the team obviously wants him. Like it or not this is probably his mindset. It's almost win win for him. Hold out for money in which you might get it, or worst comes to worst miss all the practice and training camp. Makes sense. 

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Wait, so the only "deception" here is against the cap and not against Fitz getting 12 million the first year? 

@Rangers9 should have recognized that. 

no, the jets made a rookie mistake by only leaking the favorable part of the 3 year deal to the press.  that was dumb

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

fitz is URFA, he can do whatever he wants, lol. 

Just now, jett said:

Of course he doesn't. But he has a contract available, that the team has made clear they won't pull, so why sign it now? He's not Strahan or Favre, but he's in a a similar situation, where the team obviously wants him. Like it or not this is probably his mindset. It's almost win win for him. Hold out for money in which you might get it, or worst comes to worst miss all the practice and training camp. Makes sense. 

But you're assuming that this Jets front office will leave that contract on the table until Fitz decides to pick it up. Strahan and Favre had that type of clout...given their performance history. So again, Fitz putting himself in a similar situation as hall of fame franchise players doesnt mean that this front office will operate the same as how those other organizations operated for hall of fame franchise players. 

Right? 

28 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I tend to agree with the bolded above, however the reason for the phony year 3 (and probably the phony year 2 as well) is to defer some of the cap hit of that $12 million he receives in year 1.  What we haven't been told is how much of that guaranteed $12 million would be bonus and how much would be salary.  The bonus portion cap hit of the $12 would be spread out over 3 years (or two, if Fitz is cut after year 2).  

we don't know what the guaranteed money is

1 minute ago, Larz said:

lol

good old willy, the blind dog in a butcher shop

March 15 kicked off the free agency period if you are still a free agent on May 30 that should tell you something............

March 7: Beginning at 12 noon, New York time, clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2015 player contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 15. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 15.

5 minutes ago, ylekram said:

we don't know what the guaranteed money is

the reports I have read say $12 million guaranteed in year one.  Obviously, we don't know if those reports are accurate, but if they are, then the post is correct.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Offering that amount in the first place was dumb. I'll agree in that respect. 

the first thing that went wrong for macc was bowles playing a hurt fitz over geno.  that sent a loud message on how he feels about geno

the next thing to go wrong was woody being woody telling fitz to "come back to the jets"

the next thing to go wrong was macc left the offer on the table like some freakin rookie. 

that is why fitz can leave macc twisting in the wind

Just now, Larz said:

the first thing that went wrong for macc was bowles playing a hurt fitz over geno.  that sent a loud message on how he feels about geno

the next thing to go wrong was woody being woody telling fitz to "come back to the jets"

the next thing to go wrong was macc left the offer on the table like some freakin rookie. 

Then he looks like a fink.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

He sure as hell can. But dont confuse Fitz being able to do what he wants with the Jets organization suddenly being held hostage. Favre can do that because he's Brett f'ing Favre! 

.......and the jets are........

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

March 15 kicked off the free agency period if you are still a free agent on May 30 that should tell you something............

March 7: Beginning at 12 noon, New York time, clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2015 player contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 15. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 15.

cool.  what about when free agency ends ?  lol

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Bowles let Fitz play because his starting QB was able to play. Lets not exacerbate the injury. He injured his non-throwing hand. Fitz is not nearly the first QB to play with an injured non-throwing hand. 

Our differences aside on Geno/Fitz, when has Woody done anything right? This is the same guy who was fined for talking about other team players. 

Macc leaving an offer on the table isnt a rookie move, leaving that offer on the table, then continuously going up in price (letting Fitz bend him over the contract table) would have been a rookie move. The fact that Macc leaked the contract info in some ways puts a deadline on Fitz because it ends the false assumption that Fitz was being nickel'd/dime'd. 

Fitz is leaving macc twisting in the wind, but I see Macc calling Fitz bluff because we havent seen any changes to what the original offer was. Fitz got that offer in March. Macc let him test free ageny since March 15th. Fitz is still unemployed while Macc named Geno the starter.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

The free agent frenzy period is  over I guess it never ends according to your standards. 

technically you can't sign an UFA until the league year starts, but that's not really an ending, is it ?

9 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I just cant understand how Fitzpatrick has any leverage.

Jets go with Geno and suck for a year. Who cares? They're already projected to do badly this year anyway. SO WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

you cant be serious with this statement

1 minute ago, ylekram said:

Guess what? I am.

Most people have the Jets not making the playoffs this year. So why would going with Fitz over Geno help us. Even with Ftiz, people don't think we are making the playoffs.

The only reason the Jets have veterans on offense is because Jets fans cant take a proper rebuild. This is a rebuilding job disguised as a win now team. I've said it from the beginning

1 minute ago, ylekram said:

11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Bowles let him in starting QB because his starting QB was able to play. Lets not exacerbate the injury. He injured his non-throwing hand. Fitz is not nearly the first QB to play with an injured non-throwing hand. 

Our differences aside on Geno/Fitz, when has Woody done anything right? This is the same guy who was fined for talking about other team players. 

Macc leaving an offer on the table isnt a rookie move, leaving that offer on the table, then continuously going up in price (letting Fitz bend him over the contract table) would have been a rookie move. The fact that Macc leaked the contract info in some ways puts a deadline on Fitz because it ends the false assumption that Fitz was being nickel'd/dime'd. 

Fitz is leaving macc twisting in the wind, but I see Macc calling Fitz bluff because we havent seen any changes to what the original offer was. Fitz got that offer in March. Macc let him test free ageny since March 15th. Fitz is still unemployed while Macc named Geno the starter.

taking snaps with a broken thumb is not some silly injury.  he was also handing off with the wrong hand.  it was obvious to everyone bowles would rather play literally anybody but geno.

woody is a knucklehead

when I was negotiating deals, I was taught early on to "take it away" if it starts to drag out.  if you really have a deal, the other side won't let you take it away, and it gets done.  If they let you take it away you never had a deal, but you are better off because now you know that and can move on

its rookie deal to let the offer sit because only bad things can happen like a QB blowing his thumb off on the 4th of july or getting arrested and then fitz has another suitor

it was dumb to leak only the first year because then fitz leaked the other details and whatever they gained was for 1 day, and now they look like fools.  AGAIN

Geno is only the starter if fitz doesn't come back, you know that

24 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

But you're assuming that this Jets front office will leave that contract on the table until Fitz decides to pick it up. Strahan and Favre had that type of clout...given their performance history. So again, Fitz putting himself in a similar situation as hall of fame franchise players doesnt mean that this front office will operate the same as how those other organizations operated for hall of fame franchise players. 

Right? 

by the way the contract looks, the jets could leave it on the table forever. fitz told them "no way in hell". that offer is not on fitz's table

Just now, Larz said:

taking snaps with a broken thumb is not some silly injury.  he was also handing off with the wrong hand.  it was obvious to everyone bowles would rather play literally anybody but geno.

woody is a knucklehead

when I was negotiating deals, I was taught early on to "take it away" if it starts to drag out.  if you really have a deal, the other side won't let you take it away, and it gets done.  If they let you take it away you never had a deal, but you are better off because now you know that and can move on

its rookie deal to let the offer sit because only bad things can happen like a QB blowing his thumb off on the 4th of july or getting arrested and then fitz has another suitor

it was dumb to leak only the first year because then fitz leaked the other details and whatever they gained was for 1 day, and now they look like fools.  AGAIN

And I ask you, so what?

1 minute ago, Larz said:

woody is a knucklehead

Who says they do? The media? They're always anti-Jets.

The fans, when some fans say that that's too big an offer to begin with? No.

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

woody is a knucklehead

its rookie deal to let the offer sit because only bad things can happen like a QB blowing his thumb on on the 4th of july or getting arrested and then fitz has another suitor

I didnt say taking snaps with a broken thumb is some silly injury, but if I recall during that injury the Jets played alot of shotgun. You're the one exacerbating the injury, as if he couldnt play. If he couldnt play, he wouldnt have played. 

If it was obvious that Bowles would have rather played ANYONE ELSE, and Fitz was THAT INJURED then Petty would have PLAYED! Petty constitutes "anybody else" 

Woody is indeed a knucklehead! lol. 

When you were negotiating deals, you werent an NFL GM. 

Its your opinion that its a rookie move. Subjective. 

It was dumb to even offer that amount in a contract. Thats the only dumb part here. 

Geno is the only starter, because Fitz ISNT back. Let me say that again. Fitz IS NOT back. 

20 minutes ago, Dcat said:

the reports I have read say $12 million guaranteed in year one.  Obviously, we don't know if those reports are accurate, but if they are, then the post is correct.

they are not. the story broke stating 12m for year 1 and $6m for year 2 and 3. nothing about guaranteed money. later on that day and the next, all the twitter guys starting adding "12m guaranteed", re-reporting what they heard from the original report. imo, the 12m guaranteed is made up. not that it makes a difference:D

Just now, joewilly12 said:

HOUSTON (AP) — The New York Jets had two chances to tie Sunday’s game against the Houston Texans.

Both times, Ryan Fitzpatrick threw an interception to end the drive, and those wayward tosses helped seal a 24-17 win for the Texans.

fitzmagic.0_zpskwm8ijmx.gif

Archived