Report: Jets Offer to Fitz at $12 Million in First Year of 3-Year/$24M Deal

JetNation

15 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Yeah the Jets have wasted billions, and l the team has to show for it is back to back spankings in afc championship games, pathetic

And one more legit Lombardi trophy than New England. All without a QB for 40 years. Not bad! 

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Ian RapoportVerified account
‏@RapSheet
While #Jets have OTAs, this offer waits for Ryan Fitzpatrick: 3 yrs, $24M that can be $36M with incentives. $12M in yr 1. More than $15M gtd

I agree with everyone who says the Jets should put a very short deadline on this extremely generous offer. Take it or leave it, Fitz. 

1 hour ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Ian RapoportVerified account
‏@RapSheet
While #Jets have OTAs, this offer waits for Ryan Fitzpatrick: 3 yrs, $24M that can be $36M with incentives. $12M in yr 1. More than $15M gtd

15 million guaranteed? Lol what a bunch of ******* clowns this organization is.

On May 28, 2016 at 8:15 PM, Rangers9 said:

Imo it's a non star Qb who is competent and can run an offense. So what I'm saying is that you don't need a star Qb to win games. Fitz in 2015 was better than that and one of the better starting Qbs in the NFL. Our offense was capable and won games. It was our best offense in years for a multitude of reasons but Fitz was high on the list. Why disassemble that it makes no sense. 

If you think they look like Clowns now, wait until he's benched by week 7...

Just now, FidelioJet said:

If you think they look like Clowns now, wait until he's benched by week 7...

Well he wasn't benched last year. Why do you think that will be the case in 2016. He might just disappoint you and be better after a year with the team and star receivers. Yet you guys want to start Geno Smith because he's cheaper. Last time he played he was a disaster. Named worst Qb in the NFL two years in a row. I hope we can do better than this.

On 5/28/2016 at 11:45 AM, Rangers9 said:

Sure there is. It's not 12 million per season. That's the headline number. According to Cimini it's more like 3/24 or 8 mil per. And no info on guaranteed money. Cimini could be wrong and he usually is. If so why do the Jets only leak the first year figure. To me it's a ridiculous number and misleading. 

Sounds like a contract that would make 2/3 of Jet fans happy. 

Those who think Fitz is an above average starter get their 12 mil per year when Fitz brings us the playoffs and holds on to the starting job. (This includes Fitz himself)

Those who think Fitz is a bridge to next year get their 8 mil per year when he's on the bench next year.

Those who think Geno has been denied an opportunity to fulfill his Ratliff like potential are out of luck here

On 5/27/2016 at 6:48 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Pay him $864 million for 2016 for all I care. But extending him beyond that would be a pretty Jetsy thing to do and would officially invalidate the goodwill that Maccagnan earned from me when he drafted a quarterback at the same time that Yoenis Cespedes hit a grand slam. 

I don't think you have a firm grasp of how the salary cap works. 

Well one possible scenario would be to give Fitz 12 mil the first season. A two year deal with a club option at 12 mil for season two. Total 15 guaranteed. If Fitz gets cut in 2017 he gets 3 mil which is kind of standard when a player is cut who still has guaranteed money left on his deal. He gets his starters money in years 1 and 2 but the Jets can cut him after year 1 or even renegotiate. . 

43 minutes ago, jett said:

That is a lot for Fitz. I sure do hope that they have a contingency in place where the can release him after this year. Hopefully all or most guaranteed money is upfront . 

The cap rolls over so guaranteed money is all created equal. We will need to keep him all 3 years to make this contract palatable. If we pay him 12 mil 1st year then he only costs us 6 mil the next 2.

With the 3 mil more guaranteed it will only save us 9 mil over 2 years to cut him 

19 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Sounds like a contract that would make 2/3 of Jet fans happy. 

Those who think Fitz is an above average starter get their 12 mil per year when Fitz brings us the playoffs and holds on to the starting job. (This includes Fitz himself)

Those who think Fitz is a bridge to next year get their 8 mil per year when he's on the bench next year.

Those who think Geno has been denied an opportunity to fulfill his Ratliff like potential are out of luck here

You forgot about when Fitz gets injured by week 5 and Geno comes off the bench.  Everyone Wins! 3/3 :)

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well one possible scenario would be to give Fitz 12 mil the first season. A two year deal with a club option at 12 mil for season two. Total 15 guaranteed. If Fitz gets cut in 2017 he gets 3 mil which is kind of standard when a player is cut who still has guaranteed money left on his deal. He gets his starters money in years 1 and 2 but the Jets can cut him after year 1 or even renegotiate. . 

I don't like this deal. If Fitz doesn't play at a starter level then he doesn't deserve 12 mil for 1 year.

Let him bet on himself if he believes he's worth the money. If he starts the majority of the games then he gets starter money. If not then he stays as the backup for 6 mil. 

I'm not letting him take 15 mil for 1 year then bail. 

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I don't like this deal. If Fitz doesn't play at a starter level then he doesn't deserve 12 mil for 1 year.

Let him bet on himself if he believes he's worth the money. If he starts the majority of the games then he gets starter money. If not then he stays as the backup for 6 mil. 

I'm not letting him take 15 mil for 1 year then bail. 

It's not actually a good deal for Fitz it's a better deal for the Jets. Anyways he is going to get 12 mil in year 1 even if he stinks or gets injured if he takes the offer currently on the table. Most players don't want their base determined by incentives which could be hard to get. They are basically sweeteners. If they are easily attainable like number of starts I'm sure it's something that could fit in the equation. 33 isn't ancient for a Qb. 

In fairness to Fitzpatrick, why would he accept back up money for 2017 when there's every possibility he'll still be a starter at that stage?

We all hope that Petty or Hackenberg will become capable of starting for the jets sooner rather than later but it's hardly set in stone is it?

Just now, SwanseaJack said:

In fairness to Fitzpatrick, why would he accept back up money for 2017 when there's every possibility he'll still be a starter at that stage?

We all hope that Petty or Hackenberg will become capable of starting for the jets sooner rather than later but it's hardly set in stone is it?

36 mil with incentives says if he is still starting in 2017 he could earn 12 mil then too. 

I don't care if Fitzpatrick goes now. This has gotten out of hand.

I applaud the Jets for acting with business sense. 

If Fitzpatrick wanted to play here, he would have signed by now. And hold out next year. In fact, that is the proper move. Take the deal.

You know why he's not doing that? Because he's afraid that he will bomb this year and not have anything

12 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

36 mil with incentives says if he is still starting in 2017 he could earn 12 mil then too. 

Players don't go by what they could earn they go by what they will earn. In other sports contracts are fully guaranteed but not in the NFL. They should be able to reach a medium between this offer and what Fitz probably wants which is probably a 3/36. That's without incentives but not fully guaranteed. Right now he is ok with the first year but won't accept the rest of the deal. The way I see it for a couple of million bucks this could get done.

12 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

and I guess that's fair enough if he is still a starter at that point.

I've read a lot of assumption about him being back up from 2017 onwards but without any real justification as to why this will be the case. 

22 hours ago, johnnysd said:

No, it is really just a one year contract. It is almost definitely $6 million per year, contract not guaranteed in years 2 or 3 for either skill or injury, and a $6 million signing bonus. $4 million dead money next year when he was cut. I doubt with the Christian drafting, they really have him in their plans outside of this year. I still believe strongly that it is really only Bowles driving this. I think Gailey probably prefers Geno just as he did last year and Mac wants to build towards the future with Hack or potentially Geno, but he is doing what he can within the framework of going with the future guy next year to get Fitz for Bowles this year in a "win now" scenario.

I do not see the Jets budging from the structure, or filling it with incentives. I think there is zero plan to start Fitz after thus year. If they do, they are idiots, but if you have been watching Mac is structuring his contracts around a 3 year draft plan. 

I don't get where you get the idea that Gailey favored smith last year.  At the beginning of OTA's when Fitz was recovering from a broken leg, and his availability for opening day still had some question marks 3 weeks before opening day.    Bowles said there was a QB competition.   Gailey didn't want it to appear he was dumb enough to  select smith, and came right out and said in his first presser "there was no QB competition"  even though Bowles was publicly saying there was,

Fitz was brought in because of his past relationship with Gailey.   Smith was dubbed the starter very early on even before camp begun.  IMO the plan was to let Fitz heal, see if smith had made any improvement , either performance, or maturity wise the first 4 weeks, then put Fitz in over the bye week.

Any way you look at this contract, as reported, it is a 3 year contract.  From what it appears they intend to have Fitz the starter this year, jettison smith, and have Fitz mentor the two kids the following 2 years.  If Fitz has a big season this year he is stuck in a 6 M contract.  He's not signing that  

43 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

up I don't care if Fitzpatrick goes now. This has gotten out of hand.

I applaud the Jets for acting with business sense. 

If Fitzpatrick wanted to play here, he would have signed by now. And hold out next year. In fact, that is the proper move. Take the deal.

You know why he's not doing that? Because he's afraid that he will bomb this year and not have anything

to the bolded. how is this the proper move? incentives aside, by signing, fitz locks himself into a 3 year deal. if the jets decide to start hackenburg next year, how will fitz hold out? he would be a back up qb at that point, even if he had a good year in 2016. what leverage does fitz have at that point? i will tell you. the number is zero. why would any player sign a contract that locks them into a back up role, with zero leverage, a year after it is signed?

22 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well the rumor on PFT today via Manish (which means that 99% it is not true) is that Fitz would consider a deal for less money with another team. 

Which is absurd, even for a hack like mansh*t. So we're supposed to believe fitz is going to take less money, move his wife and 5 kids AGAIN, because he wants to stick it to the jets for not offering him more? 

At this point, I don't even want the guy anymore.  It blows my mind that he hasn't signed the deal.  He's a journeyman QB who had a career year last season.  He didn't even get the team into the playoffs!  If I were the GM, I'd move on.  He's not going to get a similar deal like this one from anyone else.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Well the rumor on PFT today via Manish (which means that 99% it is not true) is that Fitz would consider a deal for less money with another team. 

Why would he do that? No other team has offered him anything. With the Jets he has the best possible chance of starting this year, and if Geno, Petty, and Hack don't work out or are not ready (or get hurt), next year as well. 

A bird in the hand; why sit and wait/hope for a QB to get hurt and get a call? That isn't likely. If he was concerned about next year, he could ask for a 1 year deal. Fitz position doesn't make sense to me unless he is just hoping to avoid OTAs and that doesn't sound like him. Is he hoping the Jets will panic/fold and double the offer?

Manish is a hack; if he is going to spread this rumor, maybe he should make it more interesting and, of course, quote 3 different un-named sources.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I'd love it to happen.  But it's doubtful.  He's mentioned before how much moving his family around so often has been rough.

My guess is he's just trying to get any other offers.  Even getting lowball offers would probably be helpful for him now vs trying to negotiate when no one wants him.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

I don't get where you get the idea that Gailey favored smith last year.  At the beginning of OTA's when Fitz was recovering from a broken leg, and his availability for opening day still had some question marks 3 weeks before opening day.    Bowles said there was a QB competition.   Gailey didn't want it to appear he was dumb enough to  select smith, and came right out and said in his first presser "there was no QB competition"  even though Bowles was publicly saying there was,

Fitz was brought in because of his past relationship with Gailey.   Smith was dubbed the starter very early on even before camp begun.  IMO the plan was to let Fitz heal, see if smith had made any improvement , either performance, or maturity wise the first 4 weeks, then put Fitz in over the bye week.

Any way you look at this contract, as reported, it is a 3 year contract.  From what it appears they intend to have Fitz the starter this year, jettison smith, and have Fitz mentor the two kids the following 2 years.  If Fitz has a big season this year he is stuck in a 6 M contract.  He's not signing that  

Fitz was brought in because 3-4 other QBs they wanted chose to sign elsewhere.

Archived