Where do Jets rank in study of NFL's best and worst fans?

Gas2No99

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Emory University is out with its annual study of the NFL's best and worst fans

Jets fans ranked third, third, and fifth in 2013, 2014, and 2015. 

But this year, Jets fans dropped all the way to 17th, while the Patriots took the top spot, followed by the Cowboys, Broncos, 49ers, Eagles, and Giants

Among AFC East teams, the Jets ranked second. The Dolphins were 27th in this year's study, and the Bills were 28th. The Rams, Chiefs, Jaguars, and Raiders rounded out the study's rankings, from 29th to 32nd. 

So how did Emory's Michael Lewis come up with these rankings? It's complicated, so we'll let him explain: 

The basic approach (more details here) is to use data to develop statistical models of fan interest. These models are used to determine which cities fans are more willing to spend or follow their teams after controlling for factors like market size and short-term variations in performance. In past years, two measures of engagement have been featured: Fan Equity and Social Media Equity. Fan Equity focuses on home box office revenues (support via opening the wallet) and Social Media Equity focuses on fan willingness to engage as part of a team's community (support exhibited by joining social media communities).

This year I have come up with a new method that combines these two measures: Dynamic Fan Equity (DFE). The DFE measure leverages the best features of the two measures. Fan Equity is based on the most important consumer trait — willingness to spend. Social Equity captures fan support that occurs beyond the walls of the stadium and skews towards a younger demographic. The key insight that allows for the two measures to be combined is that there is a significant relationship between the Social Media Equity trend and the Fan Equity measure. Social media performance turns out to be a strong leading indicator for financial performance.

Dynamic Fan Equity is calculated using current fan equity and the trend in fan equity from the team's social media performance. I will spare the technical details on the blog but I'm happy to go into depth if there is interest. On the data side we are working with 15 years of attendance data and 4 years of social data.

So there you have it. 

Do you agree with Lewis dropping the Jets from fifth to 17th, after they went 10-6 in 2015 and almost almost made the playoffs for the first time since 2011? Is it possible that their fan support actually decreased last season? 

Shout out in the comments, if you'd like. 

25 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Emory University is out with its annual study of the NFL's best and worst fans

Jets fans ranked third, third, and fifth in 2013, 2014, and 2015. 

But this year, Jets fans dropped all the way to 17th, while the Patriots took the top spot, followed by the Cowboys, Broncos, 49ers, Eagles, and Giants

Among AFC East teams, the Jets ranked second. The Dolphins were 27th in this year's study, and the Bills were 28th. The Rams, Chiefs, Jaguars, and Raiders rounded out the study's rankings, from 29th to 32nd. 

So how did Emory's Michael Lewis come up with these rankings? It's complicated, so we'll let him explain: 

The basic approach (more details here) is to use data to develop statistical models of fan interest. These models are used to determine which cities fans are more willing to spend or follow their teams after controlling for factors like market size and short-term variations in performance. In past years, two measures of engagement have been featured: Fan Equity and Social Media Equity. Fan Equity focuses on home box office revenues (support via opening the wallet) and Social Media Equity focuses on fan willingness to engage as part of a team's community (support exhibited by joining social media communities).

This year I have come up with a new method that combines these two measures: Dynamic Fan Equity (DFE). The DFE measure leverages the best features of the two measures. Fan Equity is based on the most important consumer trait — willingness to spend. Social Equity captures fan support that occurs beyond the walls of the stadium and skews towards a younger demographic. The key insight that allows for the two measures to be combined is that there is a significant relationship between the Social Media Equity trend and the Fan Equity measure. Social media performance turns out to be a strong leading indicator for financial performance.

Dynamic Fan Equity is calculated using current fan equity and the trend in fan equity from the team's social media performance. I will spare the technical details on the blog but I'm happy to go into depth if there is interest. On the data side we are working with 15 years of attendance data and 4 years of social data.

So there you have it. 

Do you agree with Lewis dropping the Jets from fifth to 17th, after they went 10-6 in 2015 and almost almost made the playoffs for the first time since 2011? Is it possible that their fan support actually decreased last season? 

Shout out in the comments, if you'd like. 

while the Patriots took the top spot

Stopped reading at that point

16 minutes ago, AFJF said:

These things are silly.  That being said, I'd put Browns fans at the top of the list.  No team has had it worse than them, and they still sell out.

I'm friends with many browns fans and optimism somehow exists every year. I'll never forget last season when I was at bdubs for week 16 watching the Jets/Patriots, and the Browns fans were as hyped up and as loud as I was for a meaningless game for their 3-11 team...I'm attending the game with friends in Cleveland when the Jets come into town on Oct. 30th, should be fun. 

17 minutes ago, BroadwayBen said:

I'm friends with many browns fans and optimism somehow exists every year. I'll never forget last season when I was at bdubs for week 16 watching the Jets/Patriots, and the Browns fans were as hyped up and as loud as I was for a meaningless game for their 3-11 team...I'm attending the game with friends in Cleveland when the Jets come into town on Oct. 30th, should be fun. 

Thinking about going to that one myself.

Social media equity is always going to follow the trend of negativity, therefore with the patriots being embroiled in the deflategate scandal their social media activity and equity skyrocketed last year, which is reflected in the poll. Adversely, the Jets had the first good season in a few years, and with that less bitching online.

ultimately studies like this are ******* ridiculous

On July 13, 2016 at 1:12 PM, Larz said:

So we don't tweet enough?

Figures chowds are big time tweeters

Pats fans took over the top spot because they whined, tweeted and posted on line petitions to sue everyone and anything because the organization and Tom Brady were persecuted over deflategate. 

The way I rank fan bases too. 

Archived