A Football Life: Curtis Martin Sept. 16

JoeC36

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I wonder how much time he spent complaining about his childhood and how much he never loved football.

His HOF acceptance speech was telling and troubling.  

Not sure why, but Im with Savage here.  Great JET but show me his playoff stats.

Funny stuff. You're a Geno Smith fan, but blast Curtis Martin. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I wonder how much time he spent complaining about his childhood and how much he never loved football.

Not sure why, but Im with Savage here.  Great JET but show me his playoff stats.

Guy climbed from less than nothing and made it to the HOF. Used to be a guy like that was respected in this country. What is the world coming to?

Amazing Guy.....  Great player, community guy, respectful, never got into any trouble while he was a Jet, respected by every player who played with him, every coach who coached him and one of the few Jets who has played at a level at which he could go into the HOF and yet... folks still knock him because he didn't perform for the reasons that they wanted him to play for, or he was a compiler or wasn't the best of ALL TIME........

Jets fans... Simply Amazing......:(

22 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

He didn't blast him what Southpark said was the truth.. Cumar was a great role model and a fine person that never liked football.. He also once said the NY Jets were a bottom of the barrel team.. In these days of ego maniacal spoiled players Martin was a altar boy.. However If compiling stats makes you great keep in mind Vinny has more passing yardage and td's then Joe Montana.. :) 

Looking forward to this. Mets/Jets/Knicks life is never easy and Martin was one of the few things that consistently brought me some semblance of joy over the years.

Throughout all the bullsh*t this franchise has dealt with since his retirement, too often I found myself thinking how much the Jets needed some more players like Curtis Martin.

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Amazing Guy.....  Great player, community guy, respectful, never got into any trouble while he was a Jet, respected by every player who played with him, every coach who coached him and one of the few Jets who has played at a level at which he could go into the HOF and yet... folks still knock him because he didn't perform for the reasons that they wanted him to play for, or he was a compiler or wasn't the best of ALL TIME........

Perfection is the enemy of the good. Same fans can't be happy with the 2nd best season in Jets QB history because he isn't "the chosen one" who will franchise QB the Jets for the next 15 years. These same fans may very well be pining for the Fitzpatrick years a couple years from now when we've got the next Sanchez or Browning Nagle behind center. Enjoy where we are at. It may not be perfect but things are pretty darn good for Jets right now.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Guy climbed from less than nothing and made it to the HOF. Used to be a guy like that was respected in this country. What is the world coming to?

Get ready Savage and EM31 will tell you over and over how wrong you are.  

Great,person, great player HOF player and they complain about his accomplishments, being 3rd or whatever on the all time rushing list wasn't because of him, it's from some other nonsense.  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Get ready Savage and EM31 will tell you over and over how wrong you are.  

Great,person, great player HOF player and they complain about his accomplishments, being 3rd or whatever on the all time rushing list wasn't because of him, it's from some other nonsense.  

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

He didn't blast him what Southpark said was the truth.. Cumar was a great role model and a fine person that never liked football.. He also once said the NY Jets were a bottom of the barrel team.. In these days of ego maniacal spoiled players Martin was a altar boy.. However If compiling stats makes you great keep in mind Vinny has more passing yardage and td's then Joe Montana.. :) 

And only the truly clueless would compare Vinnys career to Martins to attempt to make a point.  

What i don't get is another .2 or .3 yards per on his resume and you would be impressed.  .2 or .3.   70 to 90 yards a season.   Nonsense on any level. 

5 hours ago, jgb said:

I get it...  Im troubled by it too.    His background and mine are similar but his HOF speech to me was a SMH moment.   

5 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I know....  I have a sift place in my heart for the underdog.  I did call Curtis a GREAT Jet. He was, his speech troubled me.

He spoke in Charlotte a few years ago and the JETS fan club got to meet him.

Great guy...met all the kids. We bought him a customized gift etc.  BUT....his speech was a SMH moment when he said he hated football.

5 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

A half way decent game in 1998 against the Broncos would have been  too much to ask?  Look I respect the guy but he will never be in the same category as many athletes who in fact helped their team win something big.   We make rulers to measure.  

Parcells, his HOF inductee said...."STATS are for losers".  

7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

You have to be kidding me.

36 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I get it...  Im troubled by it too.    His background and mine are similar but his HOF speech to me was a SMH moment.   

I love HOF speeches. It's nice to hear these guys' real voice. Most interviews during their playing days are carefully scripted and controlled and filled with bromides: "My focus is just to get better every day." "We win and lose together as a team." "We aren't focused on the playoffs. We are taking it one game at a time."

I find the rare moments when athlete's true personality is revealed as refreshing, honestly. It's cool to hear that some of these guys have other passions in their life. Some days at work I can't wait to get out of here. It humanized CMart to know maybe he felt the same way. 

But I do find it funny that people both argue he was "just a compiler" who stuck around "too long" but then question his passion for the game. He had enough passion to last much longer than many, and play at a higher level than most. It's actually more admirable that he got the job done despite not living and breathing football 24/7 in his heart.

I wanted to be an astronaut when I was a kid. Didn't happen that way. So I do the best I can at my job but I don't love every second at the office. Maybe CMart's dream was to be an astronaut, also.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I love HOF speeches. It's nice to hear these guys' real voice. Most interviews during their playing days are carefully scripted and controlled and filled with bromides: "My focus is just to get better every day." "We win and lose together as a team." "We aren't focused on the playoffs. We are taking it one game at a time."

I find the rare moments when athlete's true personality is revealed as refreshing, honestly. It's cool to hear that some of these guys have other passions in their life. Some days at work I can't wait to get out of here. It humanized CMart to know maybe he felt the same way. 

But I do find it funny that people both argue he was "just a compiler" who stuck around "too long" but then question his passion for the game. He had enough passion to last much longer than many, and play at a higher level than most. It's actually more admirable that he got the job done despite not living and breathing football 24/7 in his heart.

I wanted to be an astronaut when I was a kid. Didn't happen that way. So I do the best I can at my job but I don't love every second at the office. Maybe CMart's dream was to be an astronaut, also.

Todd Burger, OL for Jets and other, used to tailgate with us every Sunday.  Remember one day talking with him and he told me fans think it's a game, it's fun.  He said it's really hard, takes so much dedication that the fun gets sucked out for many.  Said you wouldn't believe how many players play because it's a job.  Not out of love of the game.  Lunch pail players who play because they make a lot of money.  

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Todd Burger, OL for Jets and other, used to tailgate with us every Sunday.  Remember one day talking with him and he told me fans think it's a game, it's fun.  He said it's really hard, takes so much dedication that the fun gets sucked out for many.  Said you wouldn't believe how many players play because it's a job.  Not out of love of the game.  Lunch pail players who play because they make a lot of money.  

Many feel it, Cmart had the guts or didn't give any f*cks at that point after he retired to say it. You do anything enough it becomes a grind. I read somewhere that Phil Mickelson hits something like 2,000 golf balls A DAY. You think it's like a weekend golf trip to him every day of his life? Of course not. Being a pro means approaching it LIKE A JOB. That's the definition.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

We have that in common. I in fact have cried at some of these speeches.  Ozzie Smith baseball was a tear jerker.   Piazza was pretty good a few weeks ago. I was invited to Joe Dellamallieures HOF ceremony in 2003 (he lives in Charlotte and I iknow him a bit).  I regret not going.

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

That sounds so believable.  You're making even 800K as a lineman.  Where you going after football? So you sacrifice your body another year and some do it one or two years too long.   

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Looking forward to this. Mets/Jets/Knicks life is never easy and Martin was one of the few things that consistently brought me some semblance of joy over the years.

Throughout all the bullsh*t this franchise has dealt with since his retirement, too often I found myself thinking how much the Jets needed some more players like Curtis Martin.

Sort of like Ewing. a GREAT Knick but couldnt get us over the top. Would have loved a championship for either one of them.

36 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Sort of like Ewing. a GREAT Knick but couldnt get us over the top. Would have loved a championship for either one of them.

A back that should make the HOF to me was Terrell Davis without him no 2 Bowl wins for Elway at the end of his career.. Some backs have been on the player of the decade teams and have been League MVP's like Barry Sanders,Emmitt Smith, Terrell Davis and Thurman Thomas in the 90's.. In the 2000 decade you had Edgerrin James,LT, Shaun Alexander and Jamal Lewis.. It's funny if you just say Martin was just a very good durable back some Jet fans curse you out..LOL His first 6 years in the League he was under 4 ypc for 3 of them.. His real love was Parcells and had his contract allowed it he would have run to the Tuna in Dallas.. But the poison pill contract that got him out of New England was no longer legal in the NFL.. But he did get his old college coach Paul Hackett in 2001 as his OC and thanks to his play calling he was able to compile enough to make the Hall on his 2nd try.. 

There are Jet fans that never saw Namath play that think he was a overrated drunk.. Being around the same age as Joe I disagree but I can respect their opinion.. The funny thing is when it comes to Cumar and the Martinette's you get killed for saying he wasn't the best Jet of all time..:wacko:

17 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

A back that should make the HOF to me was Terrell Davis without him no 2 Bowl wins for Elway at the end of his career.. Some backs have been on the player of the decade teams and have been League MVP's like Barry Sanders,Emmitt Smith, Terrell Davis and Thurman Thomas in the 90's.. In the 2000 decade you had Edgerrin James,LT, Shaun Alexander and Jamal Lewis.. It's funny if you just say Martin was just a very good durable back some Jet fans curse you out..LOL His first 6 years in the League he was under 4 ypc for 3 of them.. His real love was Parcells and had his contract allowed it he would have run to the Tuna in Dallas.. But the poison pill contract that got him out of New England was no longer legal in the NFL.. But he did get his old college coach Paul Hackett in 2001 as his OC and thanks to his play calling he was able to compile enough to make the Hall on his 2nd try.. 

There are Jet fans that never saw Namath play that think he was a overrated drunk.. Being around the same age as Joe I disagree but I can respect their opinion.. The funny thing is when it comes to Cumar and the Martinette's you get killed for saying he wasn't the best Jet of all time..:wacko:

If the JETS dont win a SB...  I bet Namath is NOT in the HOF.  getting over the top matters. Its that simple.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Many feel it, Cmart had the guts or didn't give any f*cks at that point after he retired to say it. You do anything enough it becomes a grind. I read somewhere that Phil Mickelson hits something like 2,000 golf balls A DAY. You think it's like a weekend golf trip to him every day of his life? Of course not. Being a pro means approaching it LIKE A JOB. That's the definition.

Exactly.  Add in that a guy like Curtis knew it was a way to keep himself alive, to help his mother & family through football.  He was playing for a lot of really important reasons, all bigger than the fantasy that fans believe the game is for them.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

One golf story too.  A reporter spent a day with Tiger, following him around and documenting his day.  Brutal.  Up before dawn, runs a few miles, to the gym, hits thos 2,000 balls at the range then goes out walks the course playing a couple of rounds, back for a light workout and a massage.  

How can that not be a job? 

13 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

If the JETS dont win a SB...  I bet Namath is NOT in the HOF.  getting over the top matters. Its that simple.

You could be right.... Namath was like a rock star back then the media followed him everywhere.. I would have loved to see a young Namath with good legs in today's game..Sadly he was damaged goods before ever taking a snap in the NFL..:(

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

While we are sullying the names of HOF backs, lets throw Walter Payton into the mix. Ever look at his playoff numbers? Worse than Martin's.

Scottie point out the post where Martin was getting sullied to use your word?? :)

15 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

"His speech wasn't great"

"His playoff numbers"

Are those endorsements?

No those are facts I have a friend that's a big Martin fan that hated his HOF speech.. His playoff numbers weren't even as good as Shonn Greene who many Jet fans say sucked.. And no that doesn't mean he was a better back..LOL Look I have never been a fan of a one back system.. I liked the Snell-Boozer,Boozer-Riggens,Freeman-Hector combo's .. Jim Brown as great as he was had another back drafted to team up with him in a dream backfield..Sadly Ernie Davis died before that could happen.. Could Martin have done better in the playoffs had he not been given so many carries during the season?? I think so but I was always shouted down by the stats for Cumar crowd..:)

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

Where did anyone say he was the best Jet of all time?  

And without a doubt he's one of the best Jets of all time.  So why do you give a shlt if someone grew up appreciating what you can't?  Think that another 80 yards a season would change things.  

The best part is that some of you continue to bash the guy make him to be nothing more than a back that hung on for too long.  Funny, how many hung on and retired as th 3rd all time leading rusher?  How many hung around for 10 straight 1,000 yard seasons?  And are in the HOF.  This is the dumbest argument in the history of really dumb arguments.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Where did anyone say he was the best Jet of all time?  

And without a doubt he's one of the best Jets of all time.  So why do you give a shlt if someone grew up appreciating what you can't?  Think that another 80 yards a season would change things.  

The best part is that some of you continue to bash the guy make him to be nothing more than a back that hung on for too long.  Funny, how many hung on and retired as th 3rd all time leading rusher?  How many hung around for 10 straight 1,000 yard seasons?  And are in the HOF.  This is the dumbest argument in the history of really dumb arguments.  

I will say this Martin had one thing you don't class.. You could say I respectfully disagree but anyone that disagree's with you is just dumb.. Ok then..:rolleyes: BTW I said he was a role model and a very good durable back show me where I posted he hung on too long??

Archived