A Football Life: Curtis Martin Sept. 16

JoeC36

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

BTW, Martin, and the environment he grew up in, was bred to be a thief and a prisoner. Just so you know

Yeah, I know the sad story, I don't care.

Curtis Martin is not a Hall Of Famer despite the bust in Canton.  Actually, he's a bust in Canton.

SAR I

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JoeC36 said:

I start one thread and it all goes to hell

On some level you had to know this was going to happen. Reality of things is the only people who don't appreciate Martin are like 10 people on the internet who don't shut up about it, so it seems like more of a thing than it really is. But we all know they're going to Prarie Dog it into every thread so whatever.  

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Its all good debate....  bunch of fans waiting for kickoff.

I have said Cumar was a class guy,a role model and a very good durable back.. If that's not hate speech I don't know what is..LOL Granted I didn't think he was worth a 1st and 3rd pick and that huge contract but that's just my opinion.. Last I checked I'm allowed to have one I think.. To me when I watched certain players over the years some had a wow factor some didn't.. Martin wasn't in my wow factor group but that doesn't mean I hated him like so many seem to think.. As a matter of fact I think his value as a human being far outweighed his football talent.. Whoops there I go again with that dam hate speech..:) 

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yeah, I know the sad story, I don't care.

Curtis Martin is not a Hall Of Famer despite the bust in Canton.  Actually, he's a bust in Canton.

SAR I

I should have figured it would devolve to this, particularly with you. It is your schtick to bait others with outrageously ignorant comments, and then see what happens. You like to yell "fire" in a crowded theater, and then see what pandemonium will ensue.

I stupidly took the bait on the Rusty Staub comment, as you knew it would elicit some type of response. My fault for falling for that little ignorant blurb from you.

I don't have problems with how anyone feels about any player, because opinions are free. But when they come framed and wrapped in the ignorance that you dish out, well it is easy to fall prey and think that someone may be that misinformed. But alas, it is your little way of trying to be "disruptive".

Unless you really are that ignorant..... Then that is sad and I shouldn't quibble with the terminally stupid.

53 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I have said Cumar was a class guy,a role model and a very good durable back.. If that's not hate speech I don't know what is..LOL Granted I didn't think he was worth a 1st and 3rd pick and that huge contract but that's just my opinion.. Last I checked I'm allowed to have one I think.. To me when I watched certain players over the years some had a wow factor some didn't.. Martin wasn't in my wow factor group but that doesn't mean I hated him like so many seem to think.. As a matter of fact I think his value as a human being far outweighed his football talent.. Whoops there I go again with that dam hate speech..:) 

Back to back afc championship game losses. No other Jets coach has ever....... Oh wait I forgot, that's the other overrated compiler that you actually still love ?

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I should have figured it would devolve to this, particularly with you. It is your schtick to bait others with outrageously ignorant comments, and then see what happens. You like to yell "fire" in a crowded theater, and then see what pandemonium will ensue.

I stupidly took the bait on the Rusty Staub comment, as you knew it would elicit some type of response. My fault for falling for that little ignorant blurb from you.

I don't have problems with how anyone feels about any player, because opinions are free. But when they come framed and wrapped in the ignorance that you dish out, well it is easy to fall prey and think that someone may be that misinformed. But alas, it is your little way of trying to be "disruptive".

Unless you really are that ignorant..... Then that is sad and I shouldn't quibble with the terminally stupid.

Great post from a very underrated poster. Fact is this is just e-tough guys popping off. 100% of the people on this board would cream their shorts if they had a chance to meet CMart and talk about his career with him. 0% would say any of this ridiculous garbage to his face.

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

These are my true feelings about Curtis Martin.  Just because you disagree with them does not mean that it is automatically some "bait" thrown into a movie theater.   I have a life.  I don't amuse that easily.

No different than the Firemen Ed excuse which is that anyone who doesn't like the guy as a superfan is somehow "jealous" of him.  Can't be that some don't like him.  Nah.  You're the genius and we're all the idiots.

Not all Jets fans are homers.  Savvy?

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

These are my true feelings about Curtis Martin.  Just because you disagree with them does not mean that it is automatically some "bait" thrown into a movie theater.   I have a life.  I don't amuse that easily.

No different than the Firemen Ed excuse which is that anyone who doesn't like the guy as a superfan is somehow "jealous" of him.

SAR I

And thankfully, not all Jets fans are jerks, either.

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You're certainly acting like one.

I'm offering opinions of players; you are personally attacking a poster. 

SAR I

Oh you thought I was talking about you? I wonder why you felt that way.

cinderella.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:51 PM, southparkcpa said:

I wonder how much time he spent complaining about his childhood and how much he never loved football.

His HOF acceptance speech was telling and troubling.  

Not sure why, but Im with Savage here.  Great JET but show me his playoff stats.

Troubling? Sure was, his Mom left him alone a lot because she had to work.

How anyone could trash Curtis Martin after his HOF speech is beyond me.

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You can certainly rip Curtis for some of his shortcomings as a player.  But not as a person.  Those ripping his HOF speech are ridiculous.  Not every football player loves playing the game, especially in recent years.  The "game" has shifted to becoming a violent, dangerous profession that can turn your head to mush.  It's always been like that, but only recently is getting recognition for it in the mainstream.

That's not a "game".  That's a lot closer to being a gladiator, with the only difference being that these guys do it by choice so they can make a good living.  Many are choosing not to these days because of the dangers of the sport. 

Martin was honest and truthful and for that he should be commended, not ripped. The game of football is far from innocent, and its certainly not played just to make us fans happy.  These guys put their bodies and brains on the line every day, yet get paid a lot less than NBA and MLB players, and typically do not get guaranteed contracts.  I can see why many players wouldn't enjoy it like us fans would hope they do while sitting on our couches.

I truly can't believe some of these posts on here and the criticisms of Cmart. I guess they shouldn't watch it, they will be so disappointed by him again.

11 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Troubling? Sure was, his Mom left him alone a lot because she had to work.

How anyone could trash Curtis Martin after his HOF speech is beyond me.

Because he said he didn't love every minute of working his ass off and putting his body through Hell. I guess Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Megatron and countless others were bums because they lost their passion (much earlier than CMart, I will add). It's a ridiculous "criticism."

23 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

I truly can't believe some of these posts on here and the criticisms of Cmart. I guess they shouldn't watch it, they will be so disappointed by him again.

You root for the team, not the players.

And in an era when the team doesn't win a damned thing and one of its players is lauded for individual accomplishment, it's hollow.  It's not a celebration.  It's an unfortunate reminder of a time you wish to forget.  Derek Jeter bobblehead day feels great.  Mike Piazza bobblehead day feels empty.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

And in an era when the team doesn't win a damned thing and one of its players is lauded for individual accomplishment, it's hollow.  It's not a celebration.  It's an unfortunate reminder of a time you wish to forget.  Derek Jeter bobblehead day feels great.  Mike Piazza bobblehead day feels empty.

SAR I

So I guess the enjoyment from watching Jets football, talking on JN for countless hours is retroactively lobotomized from your brain if the season doesn't end in a Lombardi. Man that is a sad approach to sport, and life in general.

7 hours ago, jgb said:

So I guess the enjoyment from watching Jets football, talking on JN for countless hours is retroactively lobotomized from your brain if the season doesn't end in a Lombardi. Man that is a sad approach to sport, and life in general.

Yes. 

And the screencap from my Jets Draft Blunders video on YouTube that you use as your signature is quite ironic considering your current posture, dontcha think?

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Yes. 

And the screencap from my Jets Draft Blunders video on YouTube that you use as your signature is quite ironic considering your current posture, dontcha think?

SAR I

Why don't you explain my current posture. This should be funny since you clearly have no clue.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Why don't you explain my current posture. This should be funny since you clearly have no clue.

I don't care about you. And unlike you, I'm not here to talk about other posters. I'm here to talk about the Jets. Try it sometime. 

SAR I

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't care about you. And unlike you, I'm not here to talk about other posters. I'm here to talk about the Jets. Try it sometime. 

SAR I

Oh clearly ya do, since you exert so much energy on trying to decipher my motivation. Don't play cat and mouse now. You know we gotcha.

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

No different than the Firemen Ed excuse which is that anyone who doesn't like the guy as a superfan is somehow "jealous" of him.  Can't be that some don't like him.  Nah.  You're the genius and we're all the idiots.

SAR I

I don't have a problem in how you "feel" about Curtis Martin. Opinions are free, as I said earlier. Oh, and I have never said anything about Fireman Ed. Not sure why you throw that non sequitor in here.

What I will debate you on is your criteria for characterizing Martin. I will list some of those:

-His performance in big games. Fine. That is somewhat of a subjective matter with a lot of criteria involved, but if you choose a side to be on, I won't quibble with it. Know that other HOF players had similar disparities. I suggested Walter Payton as an example.

-You claim that he was "BRED" to be a football player. On the surfaces, that appears to be just a plain IGNORANT comment. You obviously do not understand the background of the player, because if you did, you would say nothing of the sort. he was actually FORCED to play football as a last resort to ensure his life did not spiral further into an abyss. Again, your comment appears to ignorant on the level of knowledge of the player. I won't even suggest the other level of ignorance it may suggest. I will give you the benefit of the doubt there (barely).

-You claim that he did not get the most of his "capabilities". Exactly what is that supposed to mean? That you have the expertise and knowledge of what his true capabilities should have enabled him?  Where does your expertise lie in this area? What are your standards to judge? As well you feel that he should have been a greater player because he came from a "big time" program? Huh?

I will just assume that this is part of your little game of "look how cute I can be and look what feathers I can ruffle". If there is any conviction behind those statements, well then you are just a sad person. And that does not make anyone a "homer".

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will just assume that this is part of your little game of "look how cute I can be and look what feathers I can ruffle". If there is any conviction behind those statements, well then you are just a sad person. And that does not make anyone a "homer".

Again, those are my true feelings about Curtis Martin.  I do not believe he is a Hall Of Famer. 

That's my opinion.  It does not make me a feather-ruffler or a sad person.  There's a third choice:  It makes me objective.

Try talking about subject matter, not other posters.  Would be refreshing.

SAR I

Again, those are my true feelings about Curtis Martin.  I do not believe he is a Hall Of Famer. 

That's my opinion.  It does not make me a feather-ruffler or a sad person.  There's a third choice:  It makes me objective.

SAR I

It doesn't make you objective, it makes you wrong. He's not top 10 all time, but he is without a doubt a HoF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You ignore the subject matter that I directly questioned you on. Please elaborate on your sentiments of:

-He was "bred" to be a football player. What the heck does that even mean?

-He never played to his "capabilities". What basis of evaluation are you an expertise at pertaining to a player you never even worked out, in regard to "capabilities".

Stick to the subject, rather than playing the victim. 

• 1 month later...
On August 3, 2016 at 0:36 AM, SAR I said:

SAR I

This is plain dumb. 

Celebrating a HOF career is empty?  Piazza as the greatest hitting catcher ever shouldn't be appreciated because the rest of his team wasn't good enough to win a championship?  Curtis Martin was less of a player because we didn't have the team to get a Championship?   If you never played sports or are a whiney fan, I guess it is.  

What a miserable way to watch sports.  

Archived