Which would hurt worse?

jgb

Nut Kick Pain Poll  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would be most excruciating for Jets fans?

• Jimmy Garraaoopppollooao plays lights out and becomes stud heir apparent to Brady
    • Sanchez wins comeback player of the year and knocks Jets out of wildcard game
    • Fitz goes down, Geno comes in and it all clicks and he leads Jets to playoffs. Refuses to negotiate long term contract with Jets
    • Ivory wins rushing crown in JAX
    • Paxton Lynch wins rookie of the year

35 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Lynch playing great because it would be another good QB we passed on. 

That one or Garoppolo. We passed up on both of them (we took Amaro 13 picks before Garoppolo, after Geno's rookie season).

One could easily argue that would be even worse than Lynch because it's the Pats in our division.

Then again, if it's Lynch then it also means we have a talent assessment issue with our current GM/coaches/scouts (can't blame Idzik), and I'd wager Maccagnan isn't getting fired so fast even if such a lapse in judgment occurred. Not coming right after Idzik was fired after only 2 years.

Either one of those would suck horribly. All the others are temporary issues. Even the potential Geno-turns-us-down one isn't as tragic since he could be franchise tagged and that may be preferable to a long term deal anyway in case he comes crashing back to earth again in '17. Not to mention it wouldn't happen anyway.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That one or Garoppolo. We passed up on both of them (we took Amaro 13 picks before Garoppolo, after Geno's rookie season).

One could easily argue that would be even worse than Lynch because it's the Pats in our division.

Then again, if it's Lynch then it also means we have a talent assessment issue with our current GM/coaches/scouts (can't blame Idzik), and I'd wager Maccagnan isn't getting fired so fast even if such a lapse in judgment occurred. Not coming right after Idzik was fired after only 2 years.

Either one of those would suck horribly. All the others are temporary issues. Even the potential Geno-turns-us-down one isn't as tragic since he could be franchise tagged and that may be preferable to a long term deal anyway in case he comes crashing back to earth again in '17.

forgot the franchise option. can i change my vote on my own poll? ;)

1 minute ago, jgb said:

forgot the franchise option. can i change my vote on my own poll? ;)

Change the terrible-scenario choice to us trading him at the deadline to the Broncos for a 6th rounder, after both Sanchez & that Semen guy get injured (with Lynch simply not ready to take the field yet) and then they win the SB with Geno at QB.

Your own personal hell.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Change the terrible-scenario choice to us trading him at the deadline to the Broncos for a 6th rounder, after both Sanchez & that Semen guy get injured (with Lynch simply not ready to take the field yet) and then they win the SB with Geno at QB.

Your own personal hell.

Thanks for ruining my day

Yeah, well it would have to happen for your day to be ruined. I'd take those odds to not happen, and put up $1M on a chance to win $1.50.

Sanchez could conceivably ride that defense deep into the playoffs... he's done it twice before. That would hurt pretty bad also.

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sanchez could conceivably ride that defense deep into the playoffs... he's done it twice before. That would hurt pretty bad also.

Still doesn't mean it would have happened here, so IMO it's nothing compared to a lost opportunity of a franchise QB for the next 10-15 years. Keep in mind there's also the 2 prospects we could have had with the Petty and Hackenberg picks we wouldn't have taken (technically 4 prospects, I suppose, since we used 2 picks on Petty, and maybe we wouldn't have traded another pick for Fitz), as well as the player(s) we could have signed with the Fitzpatrick money. So that's much worse.

Also because Sanchez isn't winning a SB. He's having a tough enough time securing the starting job from Semen.

I'd argue that would hurt Eagles fans even more than Jets fans if it happened BTW.

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Still doesn't mean it would have happened here, so IMO it's nothing compared to a lost opportunity of a franchise QB for the next 10-15 years. Keep in mind there's also the 2 prospects we could have had with the Petty and Hackenberg picks we wouldn't have taken (technically 4 prospects, I suppose, since we used 2 picks on Petty, and maybe we wouldn't have traded another pick for Fitz), as well as the player(s) we could have signed with the Fitzpatrick money. So that's much worse.

Also because Sanchez isn't winning a SB. He's having a tough enough time securing the starting job from Semen.

Yeah the Sanchez scenario is intense, acute pain. Losing out on a franchise QB is a chronic bad knee from which there is no relief.

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Either one of those would suck horribly. All the others are temporary issues. Even the potential Geno-turns-us-down one isn't as tragic since he could be franchise tagged and that may be preferable to a long term deal anyway in case he comes crashing back to earth again in '17. Not to mention it wouldn't happen anyway.

Nice breakdown and I agree. The I picked the Lynch one for the reason you mentioned. Nothing we can do about the Idzik regime - but if they were wrong on Lynch, it's gonna be hard to deal with.

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Nice breakdown and I agree. The I picked the Lynch one for the reason you mentioned. Nothing we can do about the Idzik regime - but if they were wrong on Lynch, it's gonna be hard to deal with.

All my breakdowns are entertaining. Even the nervous one I'd have if we let 2 more franchise QBs slip away.

All my breakdowns are entertaining. Even the nervous one I'd have if we let 2 more franchise QBs slip away.

LOL! I would add that if Lynch did have a good rookie year, it would just be one half of the failure being complete. Hack would then have to suck also. Which as a Jets fan we all know would 100% happen in that scenario.

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

LOL! I would add that if Lynch did have a good rookie year, it would just be one half of the failure being complete. Hack would then have to suck also. Which as a Jets fan we all know would 100% happen in that scenario.

That's true. If Hackenberg pans out I don't care what anyone else has. A little better to have a 1st round QB because he could be locked up for cheap for 5 years instead of just 4, but BFD. What a problem to have, to need to pay a franchise QB money to a true franchise QB. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's true. If Hackenberg pans out I don't care what anyone else has. A little better to have a 1st round QB because he could be locked up for cheap for 5 years instead of just 4, but BFD. What a problem to have, to need to pay a franchise QB money to a true franchise QB. 

Yeah seriously. I wonder what that feels like. lol

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

17 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Yeah seriously. I wonder what that feels like. lol

Seems new regime might have the philosophy to take a shot at QB every year. Sample size is small with only 2 drafts under Mac's belt but both years he's taken a QB in first 4 rounds, not to mention trading for Fitz. Many have criticized this strategy by saying well what if you get 2 good QBs at once, wasting the pick? 

I echo both of your sentiments: what a problem to have. If that were to happen (yeah right not with this team's luck), then you pull a Reid/Bellichick and unload one for a king's ransom.

I like the take a shot at QB every year until you find one approach.

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Seems new regime might have the philosophy to take a shot at QB every year until you find one. Sample size is small with only 2 drafts under Mac's belt but both years he's taken a QB in first 4 rounds. Many have criticized this strategy by saying well what if you get 2 good QBs at once, wasting the pick? 

I echo both of your sentiments: what a problem to have. If that were to happen (yeah right not with this team's luck), then you pull a Reid/Bellichick and unload one for a king's ransom.

I like the take a shot at QB every year until you find one approach.

Hard to say, as you mention. If they take a QB in the first 3-4 rounds next year then I think that's the attitude. If they take one in rounds 5-7 it may just mean they don't think Petty is an adequate #2 (or #3) QB, but it doesn't mean they're looking for a starter in the 3rd straight draft. 

I don't know what to make of it yet. On the one hand he obviously made offers to move up to #1 and then #2 after that. But it may have only been a scenario where he'd do it if he could get the type of trade-up value Tannenbaum got when he moved way up for Sanchez. But we know by now what it takes to move up to the top 2 slots for a QB these days and he didn't pony that up. I think he half wanted to show the effort but would have had mixed feelings about it if one of the offers was accepted, because he was purportedly so Hackenberg-smitten.

We'll see. A lot will depend upon what Hackenberg shows in practice over the course of the season. In particular if Fitz goes down again, and he gets bumped up a slot on the depth chart.

Talk about a typical thread wreaking of masochistic personality disorder. 

Longing for this type of disappointment & expecting some type of Doom & Gloom from your football team in August is typical loser mentality. :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hard to say, as you mention. If they take a QB in the first 3-4 rounds next year then I think that's the attitude. If they take one in rounds 5-7 it may just mean they don't think Petty is an adequate #2 (or #3) QB, but it doesn't mean they're looking for a starter in the 3rd straight draft. 

I don't know what to make of it yet. On the one hand he obviously made offers to move up to #1 and then #2 after that. But it may have only been a scenario where he'd do it if he could get the type of trade-up value Tannenbaum got when he moved way up for Sanchez. But we know by now what it takes to move up to the top 2 slots for a QB these days and he didn't pony that up. I think he half wanted to show the effort but would have had mixed feelings about it if one of the offers was accepted, because he was purportedly so Hackenberg-smitten.

We'll see. A lot will depend upon what Hackenberg shows in practice over the course of the season. In particular if/when Fitz goes down and he gets bumped up a slot on the depth chart.

Do you have a link to the Hackenberg smitten write up? I've been out of the loop, thanks.

I have no problems taking a shot on Hack in the 2nd. Just like I have never criticized Idzik for taking a shot at Geno in the 2nd. Doesn't look like it will work out, but taking a QB in the 2nd that was considered a first round talent at various points in their college careers is a good risk/reward shot. Taking Geno was probably Idzik's 2nd best draft pick after Richardson, given the information available at the time of the selection. Granted, if you look at Idzik's draft history it's Richardson and then everything else so the competition for "second best" is basically picking the least odoriferous turd.

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

Do you have a link to the Hackenberg smitten write up? I've been out of the loop, thanks.

I have no problems taking a shot on Hack in the 2nd. Just like I have never criticized Idzik for taking a shot at Geno in the 2nd. Doesn't look like it will work out, but taking a QB in the 2nd that was considered a first round talent at various points in their college careers is a good risk/reward shot. Taking Geno was probably Idzik's 2nd best draft pick after Richardson, given the information available at the time of the selection. Granted, if you look at Idzik's draft history it's Richardson and then everything else so the competition for "second best" is basically picking the least odoriferous turd.

Among his best use of draft pick(s) was trading a 4th rounder for Ivory. 

One thing he did well was giving some weight to FAs based on whether or not it would also cost a draft pick. Case in point, signing backup DE Jenkins for as little as 1 year, in effect, going to cost us a 4th round draft pick. Our veteran RBs each cost a draft pick themselves. I'm not saying we shouldn't have signed them; just acknowledging their additional costs. We lost Snacks, Ivory, and Davis to free agency and - despite having little cap room to throw money around - will not pick up a single compensatory draft pick next year.

It rings hollow when so many (justifiably) ripped on Idzik's predecessor for trading away so many draft picks (including mid/lower ones) - picks that should have provided cheap depth for years at a time, plus a shot here or there of getting lucky and finding a stud - only to now laugh it off as unimportant when his successor does the same thing.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Among his best use of draft pick(s) was trading a 4th rounder for Ivory. 

One thing he did well was giving some weight to FAs based on whether or not it would also cost a draft pick. Case in point, signing backup DE Jenkins for as little as 1 year, in effect, going to cost us a 4th round draft pick. Our veteran RBs each cost a draft pick themselves. I'm not saying we shouldn't have signed them; just acknowledging their additional costs. We lost Snacks, Ivory, and Davis to free agency and - despite having little cap room to throw money around - will not pick up a single compensatory draft pick next year.

It rings hollow when so many (justifiably) ripped on Idzik's predecessor for trading away so many draft picks (including mid/lower ones) - picks that should have provided cheap depth for years at a time, plus a shot here or there of getting lucky and finding a stud - only to now laugh it off as unimportant when his successor does the same thing.

Macc seems to have his scouts concentrate on UDFAs. If you do that right it's like having extra draft picks. Look at Jalin Marshall,  who knows where he goes in the draft if he stays in school for 1 more year? 1st four rounds are an easier crap shoot. Anyone of us would probably have drafted better than Idzik using a draft guide & picking with our gut instincts.

Only a Jets fans would make a thread like this.  

Thank you

Only a Jets forum would have this, OK maybe Browns.

Perhaps we should change our name to New York apocalypse. Or The Doom Bringers.

I am a product of my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk about a typical thread wreaking of masochistic personality disorder. 

Longing for this type of disappointment & expecting some type of Doom & Gloom from your football team in August is typical loser mentality. :rolleyes:

I bring an umbrella if they are calling for rain. Doesn't mean I'm hoping for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But I really wanted a Lynch Mob T-shirt with the opposing team standing in the gallows with Lynch, Mangold, Wilkerson, Revis or a few other players in executioner hoods. 

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

But I really wanted a Lynch Mob T-shirt with the opposing team standing in the gallows with Lynch, Mangold, Wilkerson, Revis or a few other players in executioner hoods. 

Well you'll just have to get creative with Mauldin's name instead, despite the unrealized dreams of what might have been. 

Sanchez knocking us out in the wildcard shouldn't even ping.  Unless you're of the mindset that the difference between the Jets and the Broncos right now is solely at the QB position and unless you're of the mindset that a Sanchez vs. Fitz flip would be meaningfully different for these two teams.

Garrappolo is probably the right answer here.  While we did pass on lynch, there were plenty of reasons to.  Transitioning from Brady to another similar player, after the last decade and a half, would be disastrous for Jets fans.

Archived