What Jets' Christian Hackenberg is doing to improve his accuracy

Gas2No99

What Jets' Christian Hackenberg is doing to improve his accuracy

FLORHAM PARK - Christian Hackenberg knows it. Everyone knows it. If the Jets second-round pick in this year's draft wants to make it in the NFL, he's got to improve his accuracy. 

His rocket arm means nothing if he can't hit the broadside of a barn. His 70-yard bombs won't matter if he can't hit the five-yard out. 

This isn't some hidden truth, it's an overwhelmingly known fact. And Hackenberg isn't playing dumb. He's doing everything in his power to change it.

"It's about being consistent," Hackenberg told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday. "It's about being consistent in all of your movements."

A three-year starter at Penn State, Hackenberg was one of the more polarizing players in this year's draft, partially because there was no one quite like him. Executives and scouts loved Hackenberg's brain, build and arm, but the fact he completed just under 54 percent of his passes as a junior? That was a bit scary.

To list everything Hackenberg needs to do, or is working to do, in order to improve that accuracy would take hours. But the biggest thing he says can help his errant passes is being consistent in everything he does-- from his footwork, to shoulder placement, to throwing motion and everything in between.

Before the draft, Hackenberg spent countless hours with Jordan Palmer, a former NFL quarterback and the younger brother of Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer. What Palmer tried to hammer into Hackenberg's mind is the need to keep his form no matter what. Defender in his face? Who cares? Clean pocket? Great. Under no circumstance should his mechanics ever alter. No matter what's going on, always keep your position the same.

"Say you're running one way and have to pop and turn," Hackenberg said, motioning to describe, "make sure you get back to that consistent position before letting the ball go. Once you've made a gazillion throws from that position, then you should be alright. 

"At times you're going to have to be an athlete and react and what not, but the thing I need to remember is always to get back to that consistent position."

With Palmer no longer there to help out, Hackenberg has instead turned to Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's studying No. 14 as much as the Jets' playbook. 

After drills, he'll walk over and ask Fitzpatrick what he saw. During lunch, he'll sit next to him. During free time, he'll pull Fitzpatrick into a meeting room for a little extra film session.  

Hackenberg's doing everything he possibly can to learn everything he possibly can from Fitzpatrick. And Fitzpatrick is taking notice.  

"Christian is a sponge," Fitzpatrick said. "The way he thinks about the game, you can tell he's been in a Bill O'Brien [Hackenberg's college coach his freshman year] offense, and I think that helped him a lot.  

"He's putting in the time, and that's half the battle as a young quarterback. Having the willingness to put the hours in and grind and look silly at times because you don't understand it, but then stop to ask why. He [and Bryce Petty] do it the right way."

With Fitzpatrick locked in as the Jets' starter, there isn't any pressure on Hackenberg to come in and compete right away. He has a .001 percent chance of starting this year, which means the majority of his time is going to be spent learning and developing. 

And that's exactly what he's trying to do. 

"I'm taking my time, learning as much as I can, absorbing as much as I can and just trying to be a fly on the wall in every situation," Hackenberg said. "Whether that's in our room, the receivers' room ... I just want to pick stuff up. 

"There are a ton of guys that have played a lot of football in this locker room. I'm just here trying to learn as much as I can for them so when I get my shot in one year, two years or three... I'm ready."

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com.

The Kid has the right attitude and seems like he WANTS to improve. Hopefully, unlike #6 & #7 in years past, this rookie will have time to grow and learn and not be thrust onto the field; baptism by fire won't help him any. 

Good read and I have no doubt Hack has what it takes to be great. However, the most interesting quote was this one:

"He's putting in the time, and that's half the battle as a young quarterback. Having the willingness to put the hours in and grind and look silly at times because you don't understand it, but then stop to ask why. He [and Bryce Petty] do it the right way."

- Sounds like a knock on Geno. 

Super excited that both young QB's are learning the right way and working there butts off.

"He's putting in the time, and that's half the battle as a young quarterback. Having the willingness to put the hours in and grind and look silly at times because you don't understand it, but then stop to ask why. He [and Bryce Petty] do it the right way."  

Funny one QB got left out....

Love the fact that him and Bryce are following Fitz around and trying to learn from him. For all of Fitz' physical limitations, his brain and his knowledge of this specific system is invaluable. I hope Fitz is good enough this year to bring back for another year or two, so that these guys can learn as much as they can.

I did find it hilarious that Fitz said that Petty and Hackenberg are learning the right way and didn't mention Geno. Its not like Geno is some seasoned vet, lol.He's putting in the time, and that's half the battle as a young quarterback. In fact, I remember Brandon Marshall telling Geno last year to have two notebooks. One for playbooks, and the other just for what he's learning from Fitz. Seems he didn't take that advice.

"Having the willingness to put the hours in and grind and look silly at times because you don't understand it, but then stop to ask why. He [and Bryce Petty] do it the right way."

Every time I read a camp update, I hear that Hack isn't getting a lot of reps. I understand the reps need to go to the guys who are actually going to be playing, but the fact that our supposed future franchise QB who has multiple mechanical issues isn't getting reps to fix those issues is strange to me.

3 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Every time I read a camp update, I hear that Hack isn't getting a lot of reps. I understand the reps need to go to the guys who are actually going to be playing, but the fact that our supposed future franchise QB who has multiple mechanical issues isn't getting reps to fix those issues is strange to me.

Per the CBA, they are not permitted to practice 5-6 hours a day. Only so many reps. 

For all we know he's doing drills after practice. 

There is zero disputing that he wants to succeed, is working hard, has the arm and by all accounts has the brain.  It will all come down to him being able to make enough big plays with less overall accuracy.   The really good news for him is our OC (who i was not a big fan of the hire) who has shown he can get a lot out of QB's that do not have the complete package.  I'd say if you can't so well under Gaileys offense you won't do well under any offense.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

"Christian is a sponge," Fitzpatrick said. "The way he thinks about the game, you can tell he's been in a Bill O'Brien [Hackenberg's college coach his freshman year] offense, and I think that helped him a lot.  

I forgot they both have O'Brien to thank for getting good football out of them.

36 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Carrying 4 QBs is ultimately going to slow down the development of both Hack and Petty, since they'll be the odd men out on getting much-needed reps.

Archived