Official Training Camp Thread(8/8/16)

Patriot Killa

35 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Was he throwing to Marshall and Decker when he was throwing against those no name DBs ?  Why is this even an issue, if what we're interested in is what's going to help us have the best 2016 season ?  Fitz looks good, Geno looks good and Petty appears to be improving . Go Jets.

That is all

I didn't ask the question with an agenda. I was just curious for **** sake. To me, it's a good sign that's he's owning people, but I want to get a sense of what caliber players he was owning. More than anything else, I was worried that our #1 defense was playing like sh*t.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Stark said:

I find it humorous that you would even imply Geno can take this team to 12-4. I don't think either QB gets us to 12-4. What I am saying is that while Fitz was a home, Geno was here. If the coaches thought he could/should be the starter they wouldn't pay Fitz 12 mil. I am sure if they thought he could/would start or trust him to start they would want him getting all the reps with the first team against the first team Defense. 

I also said that I agree, a few posts above that it should be based on performance. I don't think that people on this board fully understand that there is an entire team of coaches that could have went to bat for Geno and swayed Mac to not sign fitz for 12 mil when he could have gotten another veteran back-up cheaper.

What have you seen in live action that makes you believe that, "its great to know we have a backup who is at least semi-competent". Hell that is a ringing endorsement while backing out of the statement all at the same time. I feel like you would want at least a "competent" backup, but you want to settle for "semi-competent.

This is early August, lets see how he does in live football situations.

All you guys want to dump Geno, but based on what we're seeing in camp thank goodness he's on this team.  If Fitz goes down do you really want to hand the reigns to Petty, or Hackenberg, I don't.  I never liked Geno, but I think he's showing some character for a change.  As far as the money goes I wonder where the Jets rank on QB spending, I would imagine it's pretty modest by NFL standards even with Fitz' contract.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Hey, didnt @Maxman tell you to cut it the hell out already? 

I mean, I remember him telling you that specifically after that emotional diatribe of your own. I dont know, did you forget? I didnt. I recall reading that emotional diatribe and watching the owner of the site put your in your place and then I proceeded not to say anything to you, comment in any of your threads and I didnt even respond to you the last time you quoted me. Yet, for someone who feels like I have empty diatribes yet all you do is issues emotional diatribes, for someone who claims that I ruin your time here yet since your emotional rant I havent said a word to you...you seem to want to talk to me. 

What? What do you want? Do you need Max to chastise you again? I mean, I seen that you got the memo, why do you feel like ignoring it? Maybe some of the other mods need to talk to you. Maybe they just need to ban you...I dont know. But what I do know? You, like others here who claim that this is so difficult for you seems to love reaching for my attention. I havent said a word to you bro once Max checked you. What is your need for my attention, really? 

I dont understand, I already know why you talk about "emo" all the time, the two things you care the most for is spewing your emotions on here and your truck. Dude, go away. PLEASE. 

Leave it here, and do what Max TOLD you to do. Okay? 

That time you cried a whole bunch that I was snitching on you because I tagged Max in a response to you.

Go ahead and hide behind him if you want... but there's really no reason for 4 paragraphs of personal sh*t as a response to me asking you not to bog down the practice update thread with your brand of trolling/bickering. I don't think that's an unreasonable request to respect, considering that most folks are only interested in the updates right now.

Plenty of room for you to bicker with yourself about Geno in your other threads. 

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I didn't ask the question with an agenda. I was just curious for **** sake. To me, it's a good sign that's he's owning people, but I want to get a sense of what caliber players he was owning. More than anything else, I was worried that our #1 defense was playing like sh*t.

Totally legit question but let's face it, all the arguing this off-season has some folks on both sides being a bit defensive/protective of whichever camp they were in.

I was seriously seeing tweets to the JN account on day 1 of camp freaking out because Fitz threw an INT....as if that was never going to happen in 2016, especially on day 1 of camp.

13 minutes ago, AFJF said:

How crazy would it be to have nothing but garbage at QB for several decades, only to have two or three legit options to start and play at a high level?  I know, I know...never happen....but we can hope, right?

The law of averages does owe us quite a bit of catching up... it would be hilarious, we end up with 2-3 legit QBs and somehow manage to eff it up anyway. Jets-ey.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Totally legit question but let's face it, all the arguing this off-season has some folks on both sides being a bit defensive/protective of whichever camp they were in.

I was seriously seeing tweets to the JN account on day 1 of camp freaking out because Fitz threw an INT....as if that was never going to happen in 2016, especially on day 1 of camp.

Understandable, which is why I clarified. 

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Man....... From what im reading jets luck is creeping in again. 

The 12m dollar man blows..... The 2m dollar man is shining and maturing but will sign elsewhere. 

At least petty seems to be getting a lil better

If Geno blossoms into a franchise QB for the next ten seasons do you think anyone will care about that one time they made Fitz the 24th highest paid QB in the NFL?

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The law of averages does owe us quite a bit of catching up... it would be hilarious, we end up with 2-3 legit QBs and somehow manage to eff it up anyway. Jets-ey.

Cut Petty, let Geno walk, keep hack.  Geno and Petty face off in 11 super bowls...Hack is Brooks Bollinger...lol

2 hours ago, Shadetree said:

Hack can't hit the side of a barn right now. 

Id like to see him thrown to the wolves, too. Heck, why not? It's the first week of preseason. 

But to be livid if he doesn't get in is silly. It just means they want an extended look at petty.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

I disagree.  I would play the top 3 until the 4th game, then you give hack the 4th quarter.  Hack is red-shirting this year

I don't consider the fourth quarter of a preseason game to be "throwing him into the wolves". He's pretty advanced mentally, so we're told, he needs reps to build on the other side of the game. I don't believe 2 reps a day in TC and 1 quarter of fourth quarter preseason football will have him ready to go for next season - which is apparently the plan. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Prepare for disappointment, because I suspect it's pretty likely he doesn't play. 

He got hit enough in college, and learned a lot of bad habits he needs to unlearn. This will be a year of healing and education for him. We may not see him until a cameo in game four. If then. 

I can't argue with the bold, but then where are the reps in practice? He's not going to touch the ball during the season practices, and he's on pace for what, 40 throws until then? I'd just do it a little different. 

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

This is a redshirt year for Hack.  I expect plenty of 4th quarter action for him.  But they also want a long, hard look at Petty to see if he's worth keeping on the active roster.

Fourth quarter action is all he'd see either way, and it would be fine. 

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

That time you cried a whole bunch that I was snitching on you because I tagged Max in a response to you.

Go ahead and hide behind him if you want... but there's really no reason for 4 paragraphs of personal sh*t as a response to me asking you not to bog down the practice update thread with your brand of trolling/bickering. I don't think that's an unreasonable request to respect, considering that most folks are only interested in the updates right now.

Plenty of room for you to bicker with yourself about Geno in your other threads. 

@Maxman

For the record, when they go PM'ing you talking about "what I did" or "what I posted", or having other mods pull down my post because of what they "said I meant", as you can see its usually not the case. This guy is obviously ignoring what you plainly told him and I'd appreciate it if you told him again to go kick rocks somewhere else. 

Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

@Villain The Foe & @Integrity28

We get it, you don't like each other. If you don't have the willpower to refrain from responding to each other's posts, then please put each other on ignore. You've had plenty of warnings already. Enough. 

No need to mention me Slats. I havent said anything to him, however he feels to need to reach for my attention. I havent said a word to him after his emotional rant. Maybe you and the other mods should talk to him and allow me to continue what I was doing, which was leaving him alone. 

Just now, AFJF said:

Cut Petty, let Geno walk, keep hack.  Geno and Petty face off in 11 super bowls...Hack is Brooks Bollinger...lol

Sounds about right.

I'd add that Hack is Bollinger, until we cut him, sign Geno back for $25m/year in 3 years from now... and Hack goes to the Pats and wins them more rings.

Anyway, back tot he practice stuff... couple of things I've got kicking around my dome:

• Can we get Amaro and Enunwa on the field at the same time? In theory, they might both be best suited for the "move TE" role, but with Amaro blocking better, maybe he can play inline and Enunwa at "move". Could we develop a 12 personnel grouping that gives us Marshall, Decker, Enunwa and Amaro as our 4 receiving targets? Those are some big, hard-to-miss targets.
  • How do we move Skrine back to the slot. I'm not super confident in him on the outside. It's like McCourtey for the Pats, great safety... so keep him there. Last year they talked about using him at CB again. Skrine is pretty damn good in the slot, at least he was with the Browns and early last year, so why move him? I hope someone steps up and gives Bowles some flexibility there.
  • Remember when Mangini convinced the fanbase that after 3 years, he still didn't have all the pieces to fit "his defense"? Juxtapose that with this regime, where the coaches tailor things to players, and the GM actually has retooled the roster to suit what the coach wants. Mac says he wants to have a pipeline of LBers, and boom, 2nd year on the job and that pipeline is looking good. Huge difference. Damn, Mangini was as much of a BS artist as Rex, but with a less likeable personality.
  • I cannot remember a preseason where there wasn't a glaring concerns in at least one position group. Maybe I could argue that OL is that concern, but I'm illogically confident that they'll be alright. We won't have a top-10 OL, but they'll get the job done. I'm not even worried about special teams anymore... we've got back-end roster players that are hungry AND talented for once.

Interesting,

Geno looking good in OTA's,doesn't matter,we have to see how he is in TC

Geno looking good in TC, doesn't matter we have to see how he looks in preseason

Geno looking good in preseason, well of course, but we all know he just can't play well in the regular season.

Anyone see a pattern here. I see a QB that might leave us next season and make many here regret the day we ever let him out of the building, time will tell.

2 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Interesting,

Geno looking good in TC, doesn't matter we have to see how he looks in preseason

Geno looking good in preseason, well of course, but we all know he just can't play well in the regular season.

Anyone see a pattern here. I see a that might leave us next season and make many here regret the day we ever let him out of the building, time will tell.

It's been the pattern. If not this then we have to hear about him "not being hit yet" instead of the fact that he's been having a solid camp. 

16 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

I can't argue with the bold, but then where are the reps in practice? He's not going to touch the ball during the season practices, and he's on pace for what, 40 throws until then? I'd just do it a little different. 

I think this year will be a lot of classroom work, and a lot of him sitting at Fitzpatrick's feet studying the gameplan. If the team only carries three QBs he'll be the third, and will probably QB the scout team during the season. So those will be his reps, and hopefully the QB coach will be working on his mechanics at that time. I just think that he got hit so much in college that they'll be careful not to throw him out there behind the third or fourth string OL. At least too much. 

Then they'll recommend some QB guru camp to attend during the offseason, and work heavily with him in OTAs next year, with him moving to the #2 QB, or potentially even the starter. 

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Sounds about right.

I'd add that Hack is Bollinger, until we cut him, sign Geno back for $25m/year in 3 years from now... and Hack goes to the Pats and wins them more rings.

Anyway, back tot he practice stuff... couple of things I've got kicking around my dome:

• Can we get Amaro and Enunwa on the field at the same time? In theory, they might both be best suited for the "move TE" role, but with Amaro blocking better, maybe he can play inline and Enunwa at "move". Could we develop a 12 personnel grouping that gives us Marshall, Decker, Enunwa and Amaro as our 4 receiving targets? Those are some big, hard-to-miss targets.
  • How do we move Skrine back to the slot. I'm not super confident in him on the outside. It's like McCourtey for the Pats, great safety... so keep him there. Last year they talked about using him at CB again. Skrine is pretty damn good in the slot, at least he was with the Browns and early last year, so why move him? I hope someone steps up and gives Bowles some flexibility there.
  • Remember when Mangini convinced the fanbase that after 3 years, he still didn't have all the pieces to fit "his defense"? Juxtapose that with this regime, where the coaches tailor things to players, and the GM actually has retooled the roster to suit what the coach wants. Mac says he wants to have a pipeline of LBers, and boom, 2nd year on the job and that pipeline is looking good. Huge difference. Damn, Mangini was as much of a BS artist as Rex, but with a less likeable personality.
  • I cannot remember a preseason where there wasn't a glaring concerns in at least one position group. Maybe I could argue that OL is that concern, but I'm illogically confident that they'll be alright. We won't have a top-10 OL, but they'll get the job done. I'm not even worried about special teams anymore... we've got back-end roster players that are hungry AND talented for once.

- I think we see Enunwa playing a lot more WR this season than last with Amaro lining up as H-back and in the slot.

- If Milliner keeps it up, moving Skrine back to the slot becomes a no-brainer IMO.

- But, but....."Mangenius"

- This is along the lines of something I mentioned on JN radio the other day.  Lots of "OMG we're in cap hell next season" talk when barring unforeseen disaster, there won't be a need to go out and fill a ton of holes, and plenty of contracts to be re-worked and/or released.  Have to love the depth right now.

7 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Interesting,

Anyone see a pattern here. I see a QB that might leave us next season and make many here regret the day we ever let him out of the building, time will tell.

It is incremental, but to me it really is about the regular season only because I remember being very happy with how he looked in the pre-season in year two, then when the real bullets started to fly, he was atrocious.

He's a Jet....of course he'll play his best football after leaving.

8 minutes ago, slats said:

@Villain The Foe & @Integrity28

We get it, you don't like each other. If you don't have the willpower to refrain from responding to each other's posts, then please put each other on ignore. You've had plenty of warnings already. Enough. 

Sorry, I just asked him not to troll the daily thread that people are actually interested in. I don't know why he's making a scene. As far as I'm concerned, I am honoring the request to bench the bickering. I asked him not to troll, which isn't bickering. I probably should have waited for a mod to ask him to stop trolling instead. 

Otherwise, I'm talking about the topic, and making SOJ jokes, with @AFJF. Cool?

23 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

I don't consider the fourth quarter of a preseason game to be "throwing him into the wolves". He's pretty advanced mentally, so we're told, he needs reps to build on the other side of the game. I don't believe 2 reps a day in TC and 1 quarter of fourth quarter preseason football will have him ready to go for next season - which is apparently the plan. 

Fourth quarter action is all he'd see either way, and it would be fine. 

hack is the 4th qb, 4th priority.  Not enough reps to go around

14 minutes ago, slats said:

I think this year will be a lot of classroom work, and a lot of him sitting at Fitzpatrick's feet studying the gameplan. If the team only carries three QBs he'll be the third, and will probably QB the scout team during the season. So those will be his reps, and hopefully the QB coach will be working on his mechanics at that time. I just think that he got hit so much in college that they'll be careful not to throw him out there behind the third or fourth string OL. At least too much. 

Then they'll recommend some QB guru camp to attend during the offseason, and work heavily with him in OTAs next year, with him moving to the #2 QB, or potentially even the starter. 

Fair enough, and I agree. I do believe though that it would help if he had some real experience to carry over. JMO

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

- I think we see Enunwa playing a lot more WR this season than last with Amaro lining up as H-back and in the slot.

- If Milliner keeps it up, moving Skrine back to the slot becomes a no-brainer IMO.

- But, but....."Mangenius"

- This is along the lines of something I mentioned on JN radio the other day.  Lots of "OMG we're in cap hell next season" talk when barring unforeseen disaster, there won't be a need to go out and fill a ton of holes, and plenty of contracts to be re-worked and/or released.  Have to love the depth right now.

There have been times where I've been pretty positive about the state of the team, but it's rare that I've been this confident in the type of depth they are building. It's that old cliche that you're only as good as your worst player, or whatever... past teams have had a good crew of starters, and nothing but crap behind them... not pushing them, not competing with them... and I think that, in part, is what fostered the sense of "good enough" that has been here since Herm.

Think about it, Herm, Mangini and Rex' Jets were all guilty of regularly settling. Even last year's team did it a couple times. 

I feel like they are hungrier this year. 

1 minute ago, Larz said:

hack is the 4th qb, 4th priority.  Not enough reps to go around

Can't disagree with that mentality, though when Fitz only sees two series' a game (until the 3rd game), there will be reps for him at the end of games IMO. Fitz was leaving games with 5 minutes to go int he 1st quarter last preseason. Whatever, agree to disagree, as I said to slats just now, I do believe there's some value in seeing more than one live action, that way a week goes by, and you try to improve little by little, do things better against competition slightly better than the ones he was facing a year ago. 

@slats I dont see this: 

Good lord @Villain The Foe, dont' ruin the thread please. Nobody wants to hear you empty diatribes. Just bump one of your older cluster****s and talk to yourself there.

as simply asking me to stop trolling. If anything, this^^^^ in itself is trolling. All I did was participate in the thread. The only thing that's considered "trolling" around here is anything that remotely looks like Geno Smith support. Besides, the last I checked, the people who monitor the threads are mods, the last person who should be monitoring anything is the person that the owner of the site specifically stated should "knock it the **** off already". 

8 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

Can't disagree with that mentality, though when Fitz only sees two series' a game (until the 3rd game), there will be reps for him at the end of games IMO. Fitz was leaving games with 5 minutes to go int he 1st quarter last preseason. Whatever, agree to disagree, as I said to slats just now, I do believe there's some value in seeing more than one live action, that way a week goes by, and you try to improve little by little, do things better against competition slightly better than the ones he was facing a year ago. 

he would learn more, he's just not the focus.  even if disaster strikes, the jets would go sign a veteran off the street before they would play hack.  They are going to get fitz and geno ready, petty and hack won't play this year no matter what, so they get the scraps

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

I can see geno pushing fitz, and that is a good thing

This is true. This will be a site to see. I dont think we'll see enough of Fitz to make a preseason comparison. He'll probably get a series or two, but if Geno is productive with the time given then I wonder what the go-to plan will be. Of course he's not getting the starting job here unless its week 6 or 7 and the Jets season is looking bleak, but I wonder if he would actually push for a trade somewhere. 

8 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

Fair enough, and I agree. I do believe though that it would help if he had some real experience to carry over. JMO

I don't disagree with that, either, and I could be wrong. They could trot him out every week for all I know. I do think they'll want to keep him upright. And, like it or don't, but I wouldn't be surprised if they want to protect him from boo-birds at home, either. He was a controversial pick, and he seems to still be some way away. Part of the reclamation project is restoring his confidence, and that job'll be more difficult if he's getting a lot of negative reinforcement from the home crowd. 

3 hours ago, ljr said:

Lololololololol ... Bro ... Please tell me you are just trolling

Fitz is our starter

go in your Geno salad toss secret handshake club meeting & even your fellow Geno lovers will tell you the same

Who pissed in your cheerios?  Seriously - based on the information available to date, I'd much rather see Fitz as the starting QB of this team than Geno.  But know-nothing fans with irrational hatred aside, it's also not out of the realm of possibility that Geno would be the better QB for the Jets.  Geno has more natural arm-talent than Fitz, and has always been held back by the mental side of the game.  That coming together for him enough to take the starting job is the longest of long shots - but there's also no doubt the Jets would be better off if that long shot cashed.  Can't see how anyone can dispute that.

Archived