Geno Question

whodeawhodat

Happy to see Geno light it up in practice.  If he lights it up in preseason, what is his value?  I don't think a team would trade anything worthwhile for him and tbh, I don't think we should trade him as we need a plan b if Fitz gets injured, especially with his play style.  

So to my question, if the CS and GM think that Geno has turned the corner, what would we offer as an extension to his rookie contract?  2 years at $5m/per fully guaranteed?  If he spends another season behind Fitz, I am not sure what he would command on the open market as a FA.  If his whole body of work is 1 game last season and preseason this year, what does he get?

Geno always looks decent (or better) in practice--you can't really place must stock in that.

The only way he gets an extension is if Fitz gets injured and Geno comes in and plays just incredibly. Otherwise he's going to walk at the end of the year and we'll take a comp pick. The front office has already made it clear by signing Fitz over Geno and drafting a QB each of the past two years that there is no confidence in Geno as a starter. We should hope he plays great in the preseason and he can nab a good contract with his next team so we can get the best comp pick possible. 

In order for the GM/CS to truly believe Geno has turned the corner, they would need to see him play some games and play well. Actual NFL season games that matter. 

There's no guarantee he will even get that chance. All you need to do is look at last season. Fitz was banged up a lot, and still played. Geno only got one game. And he didn't even start (vs. Raiders). 

Now, I believe Fitz has a shorter leash this season. So let's assume he stinks it up or gets hurt and Geno gets 10 games where he plays well, lights it up even. More than enough to gauge whether or not he can be a starting QB in the NFL. In that case, I think there's only 2 options for the Jets. Invest long term or tag him a la K.Cousins. I think Geno will want a long term deal to stay with the Jets. JMHO. 

If I were Geno, and I had a strong pre-season, I wouldn't dare to touch that extension with the Jets. Not after the whole Fitz drama. He's already said he's auditioning for 31 other teams. If Fitz goes down and Geno lights it up, he's going the FA route and cash in like Brock did.

If Geno plays well and doesn't start this year, he'll most likely leave for FA. The only way he stays for 10 mill over 2 years is if gets no better offers and/or he has no other starting prospects. The possibility is there that he'll stay but that's dependent on his market.

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

Geno always looks decent (or better) in practice--you can't really place must stock in that.

The only way he gets an extension is if Fitz gets injured and Geno comes in and plays just incredibly. Otherwise he's going to walk at the end of the year and we'll take a comp pick. The front office has already made it clear by signing Fitz over Geno and drafting a QB each of the past two years that there is no confidence in Geno as a starter. We should hope he plays great in the preseason and he can nab a good contract with his next team so we can get the best comp pick possible. 

This is true, but I guess for the sake of hypotheticals, do you think Geno could establish something performing in practices? We're most definitely excited for this season and fully expect us to make the playoffs, but thats like someone saying "Fitz always looks decent, but you cant really place stock in him taking you to the playoffs". Maybe Fitz finally has the top 3 defense and the #1 WR tandem in the league required to change that situation. Maybe Geno has the coaching staff along with young players developing around him that he can depend on that can also make plays. 

There should be some level of confidence in Geno being a starter in the future if there's some level of confidence in Fitzpatrick finally making a playoff appearance. 

Geno can walk on the street and get a 2 year 5 per contract in his sleep. Why would he sign one now? He has zero incentive to sign an extension right now. If he never plays a down this year he'll still get a 7-8m contract. Like him or not he's still extremely young, was fairly highly rated as a rookie, and will walk into an NFL market desperate for QB's. As I mentioned in another thread yesterday the only scenario where he is a Jet next year is if Fitz goes down early and Geno plays so lights out the team has no choice but to franchise him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This is true, but I guess for the sake of hypotheticals, do you think Geno could establish something performing in practices? We're most definitely excited for this season and fully expect us to make the playoffs, but thats like someone saying "Fitz always looks decent, but you cant really place stock in him taking you to the playoffs". Maybe Fitz finally has the top 3 defense and the #1 WR tandem in the league required to change that situation. Maybe Geno has the coaching staff along with young players developing around him that he can depend on that can also make plays. 

There should be some level of confidence in Geno being a starter in the future if there's some level of confidence in Fitzpatrick finally making a playoff appearance. 

If the coaching staff felt that way Fitz wouldn't have been re-signed at the last minute.

20 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Geno can walk on the street and get a 2 year 5 per contract in his sleep. Why would he sign one now? He has zero incentive to sign an extension right now. If he never plays a down this year he'll still get a 7-8m contract. Like him or not he's still extremely young, was fairly highly rated as a rookie, and will walk into an NFL market desperate for QB's. As I mentioned in another thread yesterday the only scenario where he is a Jet next year is if Fitz goes down early and Geno plays so lights out the team has no choice but to franchise him.

The better question is why would we do that?

I actually think Geno can be good this year if given the opportunity to start but a lot of that is because he's in a contract year just like last year was for Fitz. 

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

My prediction is Geno Smith moves on from the Jets and becomes the next Tom Brady and the misery continues here as we try and find a franchise QB. 

Wouldn't that be something 

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Let him play out the string, and take the compensatory pick when he signs elsewhere.  Unless of course some desperate team with a QB injury comes along offering a 3rd round pick or something.

give up a 7th rounder to someone to take him off our hands. 

16 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

Happy to see Geno light it up in practice.  If he lights it up in preseason, what is his value?  I don't think a team would trade anything worthwhile for him and tbh, I don't think we should trade him as we need a plan b if Fitz gets injured, especially with his play style.  

So to my question, if the CS and GM think that Geno has turned the corner, what would we offer as an extension to his rookie contract?  2 years at $5m/per fully guaranteed?  If he spends another season behind Fitz, I am not sure what he would command on the open market as a FA.  If his whole body of work is 1 game last season and preseason this year, what does he get?

Start around Chase Daniel money.

13 hours ago, Snell41 said:

This is what i was wondering.  Mallet sat behind Brady for his entire rookie contract.  What did he get as a FA with zero body of work to look at outside of preseason.  

8 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Start around Chase Daniel money.

Do you know what Mallet got?  I'd say it is a similar situation except there would be more doubt with Geno.

2 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

This is what i was wondering.  Mallet sat behind Brady for his entire rookie contract.  What did he get as a FA with zero body of work to look at outside of preseason.  

Do you know what Mallet got?  I'd say it is a similar situation except there would be more doubt with Geno.

Chase Daniel probably took less snaps then Mallet. 

4 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Also Mallet was a serious problem player in Houston, like really bad, he was lucky to get another chance from the Ravens so him compared to Geno is a bad comparison.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Also Mallet was a serious problem player in Houston, like really bad, he was lucky to get another chance from the Ravens so him compared to Geno is a bad comparison.

I was speaking to Mallet leaving the Pats.  I know their fans were high on him wanting to trade him for a 2nd due to the fact he was groomed in the Pats org.  I just dont know the details as to what he got from the Texans on that deal.  trying to find comparable situation.  Geno is 25 this year so if the org offered him a 2 year prove it deal with a chance to win the starting job, it may be better than what other teams are offering. Either way, as Mr.Fuji said, Fitz is on a 1 year contract, could we go through the same offseason if Fitz lights it up again next year? Probably lol.

Just now, whodeawhodat said:

I was speaking to Mallet leaving the Pats.  I know their fans were high on him wanting to trade him for a 2nd due to the fact he was groomed in the Pats org.  I just dont know the details as to what he got from the Texans on that deal.  trying to find comparable situation.  Geno is 25 this year so if the org offered him a 2 year prove it deal with a chance to win the starting job, it may be better than what other teams are offering. Either way, as Mr.Fuji said, Fitz is on a 1 year contract, could we go through the same offseason if Fitz lights it up again next year? Probably lol.

He was traded to the Texans, not signed as a FA.

3 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Also Fitz never has lit it up, it's just juiced up stats vs horrible teams.  

39 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Also Fitz never has lit it up, it's just juiced up stats vs horrible teams.  

There is parity in the NFL since the salary cap. There are only a handful of horrible teams imo.  belittle Fitz performance last year all you like, it was discussed ad nauseum all offseason long.  I enjoyed watching our offense play last year and I am looking forward to this year.  

My question was, if Geno holds the clipboard all year long and the Jets think he has turned the corner, what does it take to keep him to compete for the starting QB position next year.  This is assuming that Fitz doesnt luck his way into another season where he breaks jet records as our QB :) and we try to bring Fitz back as the starting QB(again).

4 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

There is parity in the NFL since the salary cap. There are only a handful of horrible teams imo.  belittle Fitz performance last year all you like, it was discussed ad nauseum all offseason long.  I enjoyed watching our offense play last year and I am looking forward to this year.  

My question was, if Geno holds the clipboard all year long and the Jets think he has turned the corner, what does it take to keep him to compete for the starting QB position next year.  This is assuming that Fitz doesnt luck his way into another season where he breaks jet records as our QB :) and we try to bring Fitz back as the starting QB(again).

Geno extension at this hypothetical situation starts at 3 years 21 million, AND a guaranteed opportunity to compete for the starting QB job, anything less, or no guaranteed opportunity to compete for starting job Geno is gone.

Basically Geno will never play another down (besides mop up duty) in a Jets uniform if Fitz doesn't get hurt, Bowles showed last year he will never bench his veteran favorites with Cromartie so no matter how bad it gets, and it will get bad, Fitz will stay the starter.

Archived