Geno Smith losing Ground to Petty?

Charlie Brown

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

show me another qb who boycotts the media.  what aspiring starting nfl qb behaves this way?

Im not going to google to find that, though I would assume that within the history of the NFL I could find a QB who's done it. However, that wouldnt prove anything...all that would do is criticize THAT QB. 

Geno made a decision not to partcipate in the buffoonery. I cant blame him. 

Once again, Bowles -- who didn't let Smith off the hook for the altercation with Enemkpali, saying "it takes two to tango" -- was highly displeased.

Smith had better soon realize that he still has a chance to quit living down to the pre-draft questions about his leadership skills, judgment and maturity that sent him spiraling out of the first round and into the lap of a clueless Jets regime led by rookie general manager John Idzik, who drafted Smith in the second round in 2013 and was fired after two seasons.

He is who we thought he was... 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13471307/punch-just-latest-evidence-geno-smith-critics-were-target

9 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Just a short time ago the Geno-bots were predicting +40 touchdowns for him, now the guy is in a battle for a roster spot. Talk about egg on your face...

lol..  you continually make stuff up to suit your hate filled agenda.  Normally posters don't annoy me but you sir are quite annoying.

On the title article, I think if fans liked Geno Smith the narrative would be about his competitive fire. But he's hated, so it's a meltdown. Geno is gone after this season -or sooner- and if I had to guess I'd say that he's probably looking forward it. 

On the second, I don't know if the Jets are giving Petty extended looks to help decide if they should carry four QBs this year, or if they're looking at potentially cutting Geno. They could be doing the former, and wind up deciding to do the latter. The bottom of the Jets roster is right now as talented as I can ever remember on this team, and carrying four QBs means an extra cut down there. Also have to look at next year, where Petty and Hack are currently the only QBs under contract. It's not an easy decision. It'll come down not only to how close Petty is to Geno on the field, but also how much of a win now team they really believe they have. A top backup QB isn't as important as a developmental QB if you honestly don't see your team being capable of making a deep run in the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

On the title article, I think if fans liked Geno Smith the narrative would be about his competitive fire. But he's hated, so it's a meltdown. Geno is gone after this season -or sooner- and if I had to guess I'd say that he's probably looking forward it. 

On the second, I don't know if the Jets are giving Petty extended looks to help decide if they should carry four QBs this year, or if they're looking at potentially cutting Geno. They could be doing the former, and wind up deciding to do the latter. The bottom of the Jets roster is right now as talented as I can ever remember on this team, and carrying four QBs means an extra cut down there. Also have to look at next year, where Petty and Hack are currently the only QBs under contract. It's not an easy decision. It'll come down not only to how close Petty is to Geno on the field, but also how much of a win now team they really believe they have. A top backup QB isn't as important as a developmental QB if you honestly don't see your team being capable of making a deep run in the playoffs. 

i think they're simply evaluating petty, with the hope that at some point this season he'll be near equal to geno so they don't have to carry geno the entire season.  the play is likely for petty to be at least the #2 next season.  if they're equal then geno is gone.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

So the fans are at fault now? I am so confused.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

The development of Petty (if it all comes together) is much more important to the Jets franchise and the future than keeping Geno around to backup some 2016 games and play if Fitz got hurt. I'd argue if Fitz went down with an injury for the season, it behoove the Jets to throw Petty in there for real game experience.

Just now, slats said:

Fair point, on the first article, and I think it applies to a lot of people. Personally, I don't hate the guy, I just don't think he's the answer at QB, now or in the future, and therefore don't understand the amount of attention, excuses and enabled afforded to him. There have been many, many players and coaches that I've decided won't help this franchise, that I've mocked similarly. It's nothing specific to Geno, it's how I treat all the guys I wish were ex-Jets. Mangini, Chad, Sanchez, etc... and I was the first detractor for Rex. So, while I know the narrative "people hate Geno" is appropriate in some cases, I don't think it's generally the case. I think Jet fans that think Geno sucks are just over him. That doesn't equal hate.

In fact, the people introducing hate into the rhetoric are the Geno advocates. It seems to be just this months routine escalation of bad defenses of Geno. We've seen over the past several months, that each month there's a new theme, as the old theme for defending him gets exhausted quite quickly by the bad logic supporting it.

As for the second article, I agree with the bold... but it's a coin flip. If they believe Geno to be done here (which is my sentiment) and Petty is ready to be #2, then you give Geno's roster spot to one of the intriguing young players at another position where we're going to need to develop our own talent as future starters for vets that will be gone in a few years.

100% agree with the last sentence, but looking at the talent and coaching of this team, I do think they are a top 12 team in the league on paper. 

Hard decision. Glad I don't have to make it!

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

The development of Petty (if it all comes together) is much more important to the Jets franchise and the future than keeping Geno around to backup some 2016 games and play if Fitz got hurt. I'd argue if Fitz went down with an injury for the season, it behoove the Jets to throw Petty in there for real game experience.

they didn't just draft petty in the 4th, they also dealt a 7th to move ahead of cleveland b/c they had intel he would go to them.  they clearly want petty to be the #2.  i think at some point this season he gets there.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think they're simply evaluating petty, with the hope that at some point this season he'll be near equal to geno so they don't have to carry geno the entire season.  the play is likely for petty to be at least the #2 next season.  if they're equal then geno is gone.

Exactly. You have 4 QB's on the team. How do you evaluate them all? There will be days where guys will have to take less reps in order for the team to evaluate another. 

1 minute ago, FreindlyFellow said:

So the fans are at fault now? I am so confused.

Ultimately, all that matters is how the coaches see his behavior. The side of this that is fan perception and media manipulation is mostly irrelevant. This regime doesn't seem to make decisions based on Daily News twitter polls.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Ultimately, all that matters is how the coaches see his behavior. The side of this that is fan perception and media manipulation is mostly irrelevant. This regime doesn't seem to make decisions based on Daily News twitter polls.

Agree, and its refreshing. But of course there will be rhetoric about how Geno did not get a fair shot from the coaches because the fans hate him.....

Lets face it. This guy was on thin ice with Jets fans the second his ego was bruised at the draft and he stood up to leave when he wasnt a first round selection.

He needs to take the NFL by storm in order to have some of the dumbass stuff he has done forgotten / forgiven but obviously that isnt even remotely possible at this point.

1 minute ago, FreindlyFellow said:

Agree, and its refreshing. But of course there will be rhetoric about how Geno did not get a fair shot from the coaches because the fans hate him.....

that's tough to support with Bowles saying time and again that Geno is the #2 qb.  that's a strong statement.

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Exactly. You have 4 QB's on the team. How do you evaluate them all? There will be days where guys will have to take less reps in order for the team to evaluate another. 

I could see this making sense - but this isn't what they did last year and this really is not what I have ever seen happen at QB unless there is a competition. If Petty can handle the number two job I don't see Geno making the team. Also, Petty is getting the number 2 reps and doing well while Geno is struggling.

2 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Lets face it. This guy was on thin ice with Jets fans the second his ego was bruised at the draft and he stood up to leave when he wasnt a first round selection.

He needs to take the NFL by storm in order to have some of the dumbass stuff he has done forgotten / forgiven but obviously that isnt even remotely possible at this point.

That was quickly forgotten when he was in competition to take the starting QB position away from one of the most hated Jets of all time. His current status with the fans has been based on his play, his attitude and his actions for the past 3+ years.

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

I could see this making sense - but this isn't what they did last year and this really is not what I have ever seen happen at QB unless there is a competition. If Petty can handle the number two job I don't see Geno making the team. Also, Petty is getting the number 2 reps and doing well while Geno is struggling.

They didnt do it last year because there were only 3 QB's (Geno/FItz/Petty) and Petty was a 4th round QB that never read a defense or even knew how to find the mike backer and Fitz was brought in as the backup. Geno Smith never made it to a preseason game last year so we never got an opportunity to see how this coaching staff would handle the rotation during August games because Geno was injured. However, this season is much different from last. 

1 year later they drafted Hackenberg and resigned Fitz to another 1 year deal to be the starter making it 4 QB's. Hackenberg this season is what Petty was last season. He's rarely getting any burn, however, the coaching staff is trying to find how well Petty developed so he's getting some burn with the twos. Remember, there was nothing to evaluate last season in that regard because it was an entirely new regime. 

This is an evaluation. Bowles has said it plainly that there is no competition at this moment for the #2 position because its Geno's job. Now of course he can lose that job, im not saying that he cant. What im saying is that the reports are based on assumption and not what the coaching staff has said. 

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Fair point, on the first article, and I think it applies to a lot of people. Personally, I don't hate the guy, I just don't think he's the answer at QB, now or in the future, and therefore don't understand the amount of attention, excuses and enabled afforded to him. There have been many, many players and coaches that I've decided won't help this franchise, that I've mocked similarly. It's nothing specific to Geno, it's how I treat all the guys I wish were ex-Jets. Mangini, Chad, Sanchez, etc... and I was the first detractor for Rex. So, while I know the narrative "people hate Geno" is appropriate in some cases, I don't think it's generally the case. I think Jet fans that think Geno sucks are just over him. That doesn't equal hate.

In fact, the people introducing hate into the rhetoric are the Geno advocates. It seems to be just this months routine escalation of bad defenses of Geno. We've seen over the past several months, that each month there's a new theme, as the old theme for defending him gets exhausted quite quickly by the bad logic supporting it.

As for the second article, I agree with the bold... but it's a coin flip. If they believe Geno to be done here (which is my sentiment) and Petty is ready to be #2, then you give Geno's roster spot to one of the intriguing young players at another position where we're going to need to develop our own talent as future starters for vets that will be gone in a few years.

100% agree with the last sentence, but looking at the talent and coaching of this team, I do think they are a top 12 team in the league on paper. 

Hard decision. Glad I don't have to make it!

I think there's genuine hate towards Geno from a large segment of the fan base. Fans at the Jax game were ready to boo him at the first, slightest miscue, and did. And it's not like I don't realize that he's brought a lot of it on himself, either, but there is real hate there. There's a group of fans who will simply never give him the benefit of the doubt. Or give him a chance. It's he sucks, he's stupid, he's a jerk, whatever. Fans who say you have to root for the team out of one side of their mouths, and boo Geno as soon as he steps on the field out of the other. 

And really, it's neither here nor there. It is what it is. It's not everyone who simply thinks he's just not a good QB, but let's not deny that it exists. 

As I said, I think he's probably looking forward playing somewhere else. I don't know if he'll ever amount to anything, but he'll never amount to anything here. His temperament and NYC are just not a good mix. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I think there's genuine hate towards Geno from a large segment of the fan base. Fans at the Jax game were ready to boo him at the first, slightest miscue, and did. And it's not like I don't realize that he's brought a lot of it on himself, either, but there is real hate there. There's a group of fans who will simply never give him the benefit of the doubt. Or give him a chance. It's he sucks, he's stupid, he's a jerk, whatever. Fans who say you have to root for the team out of one side of their mouths, and boo Geno as soon as he steps on the field out of the other. 

And really, it's neither here nor there. It is what it is. It's not everyone who simply thinks he's just not a good QB, but let's not deny that it exists. 

As I said, I think he's probably looking forward playing somewhere else. I don't know if he'll ever amount to anything, but he'll never amount to anything here. His temperament and NYC are just not a good mix. 

I think sooner or later he may end up on a Florida team be it the Jag's,Buc's or Fins as a backup..

Just now, slats said:

I acknowledged the bold, and agree. It's our society, people thirst for something new to hate constantly. It takes effort as a human being to not fall into that pattern. All I'm saying is that people like me represent a different perspective, and I'm sharing what that perspective is. I think there are far more (especially here on JN) Jet fans that are just over the guy, because they see him as limited in talent and intangibles. So, they're ready to move on to the next one, so to speak. Yes, some people just hate for the sake of it, but you see more of that on twitter than here on JN. To blanket criticize people as hateful here on JN seems unfounded.

Regardless, I stand by my comment that "they are haters" has just become this month's escalation of defense for Geno. It's the same thing the Pats fans did, to be honest. Their defense of the cheating got exhausted, so they just started calling everyone haters. 

Yes, there's a pinch of truth to the hate piece when used as a generalization, but here on JN it circumvents the validity of all prior arguments, becoming a vey convenient evasion tactic in debate.

I totally agree. His personality in NY is a bad mix. I'm sure he'd make a much better #2 QB in a smaller market.

21 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

They didnt do it last year because there were only 3 QB's (Geno/FItz/Petty) and Petty was a 4th round QB that never read a defense or even knew how to find the mike backer and Fitz was brought in as the backup. Geno Smith never made it to a preseason game last year so we never got an opportunity to see how this coaching staff would handle the rotation during August games because Geno was injured. However, this season is much different from last. 

1 year later they drafted Hackenberg and resigned Fitz to another 1 year deal to be the starter making it 4 QB's. Hackenberg this season is what Petty was last season. He's rarely getting any burn, however, the coaching staff is trying to find how well Petty developed so he's getting some burn with the twos. Remember, there was nothing to evaluate last season in that regard because it was an entirely new regime. 

This is an evaluation. Bowles has said it plainly that there is no competition at this moment for the #2 position because its Geno's job. Now of course he can lose that job, im not saying that he cant. What im saying is that the reports are based on assumption and not what the coaching staff has said. 

Why isn't anyone splitting reps with Fitz? I mean they are "mixing" it up, right?

Archived