Jets Panicked and Resigned Fitz.

JetBlue

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I'm hoping he builds up enough equity with the billboard guys prior to the big overhaul. Eventually he has to stop trading picks for expensive veterans. The undrafted guys sticking to the roster and contributing is promising too.

The elephant here is we're looking at Fitz being the starter for the next 3 years.

Here's the rub; who has Mac added that helps team in the future?  He gets no credit for Leonard Williams.  

So, we're holding out hope for Maudlin to become a full time player.  I like him but that's probably not going to happen.  Holding out hope for Petty and Hack, haha.  Maybe Lee becomes a full time player, maybe not.  Same goes for Jenkins.  He did find a punter.  Who else? Jalin Marshall looks good.  And that's where it ends.

Not a good look for a "scout".

The Fitz situation is something different all together.  Does Todd Bowles really want to tie his career to Ryan Fitzpatrick?  Yikes!

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Here's the rub; who has Mac added that helps team in the future?  He gets no credit for Leonard Williams.  

So, we're holding out hope for Maudlin to become a full time player.  I like him but that's probably not going to happen.  Holding out hope for Petty and Hack, haha.  Maybe Lee becomes a full time player, maybe not.  Same goes for Jenkins.  He did find a punter.  Who else? Jalin Marshall looks good.  And that's where it ends.

The Fitz situation is something different all together.  Does Todd Bowles really want to tie his career to Ryan Fitzpatrick?  Yikes!

he's had 2 drafts.  which player is a clear bust, as in, we know he sucks?  answer, nobody yet.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

he's had 2 drafts.  which player is a clear bust, as in, we know he sucks?  answer, nobody yet.

I agree.  Even the D Smith pick is hard to judge because he's been mostly hurt and I do not recall there being much thought that that would be the case, meaning that D Smith had some obvious history of htat or something.

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's had two drafts. As far as Fitz goes, he's the reason they're going to be employed for another couple of years.

Just now, JiF said:

I've listed a number of things I don't like that he's done here and there, but it's hardly all bad. 

I think we've got more than 1 good young receiver that he found, and what is more impressive is the 3 new ones didn't cost a single good draft pick. What were they, two UDFAs and a 7th? They're just first year guys so there isn't really room for more than 1 to be getting significant playing time. Who are they going to keep off the field as rookies: B.Marshall, Decker, or Enunwa? More likely, none of the above, which is what we're seeing. For all the years we've complained about the lack of investment at the position, or the poor players selected when we did, it's nice to see young talent coming in, at least one of whom should come of age as Marshall tails off.

It's such a good situation at the position that it's almost too good, in that we can't possibly get the most out of all of them, and could very well lose at least one because Decker and Enunwa are too young to wait behind. The thing is, will MM have the stones to just let BM's contract run out - and then Decker's a year later - without extending these massively popular players by a few more years, just because they each probably have another productive year or two left? The timing could work out perfectly if we just let their deals expire (after which, we recoup a decent comp pick for each), and have these guys take their place. There's some time yet before that happens, and they have a lot to show before we can seriously discuss letting our best ever 1-2 combo go so they can step in. Also despite the discouraging rookie season, it's hardly impossible for D.Smith to be a player as well.

The big question mark is going to be at QB, namely Petty and Hackenberg, as you point out. All the talk - good and bad - aside, it's too early to slam the door shut on either of them. As bad as Hackenberg looked this summer, a year earlier Petty didn't look good himself and seemed to make bigger strides than anyone expected a year later. Yours or my personal optimism or pessimism will bear no effect on how good or bad they end up being. Indirectly, veterans like Forte and Powell help the position for the future, in that they'll help a young QB out a whole lot more than a back with stone hands who isn't a willing (or decent) blocker.

Lastly, I wouldn't give him no credit for Leonard Williams. I think he was clearly the best player on the board, but with Mo and Sheldon both here and still so young, and with so much pressure on the team to take a WR, I do give him credit. I don't give him credit for Williams being such a good prospect, player, and being available there, though. Everyone knew he was supposed to be great and a sure thing. There was a lot of pressure back then to take a WR. Ignore it all you want in hindsight, but there was a lot of pressure - and a lot of people who wanted - for MM to draft Kevin White. But to your point, if Washington wasn't brain dead, and Scherf was taken instead, then is he worse at drafting?

• 2 weeks later...

I was rediculed for creating this thread several weeks ago, but I still feel the team "caved" (if panicked is too strong a word for some) and resigned Fitz.  I mean there was NO ONE bidding for his services; we could have let Geno and Petty fight it out and if the both struggled we could brought back.  The more likely scenerio imho, is that Petty or Geno would actually play well enough that there would be no need to sign him at all.

Of course the teams "veterans" might not like it but their job is to PLAY, not coach or sign players.   You look at NE and you NEVER see them making moves like this even if it winds up costing them in the short run.  Now after 3 weeks, we can get accustomed to the Fitz rollar-coaster of up one week and down the other. Or in some case, in the same game.

Instead of finding out if our 2nd or 5th year quarterbacks can excel with all the assembled talent on offense, we are stuck with a very limited journeyman quarterback whom, EVERYONE knows can't beat you deep; who still makes "rookie mistakes" like throwing into double and triple coverage, locking onto his receivers and even sliding HEAD FIRST! (Whats up with that??)   

I regret wishing injury on him but if 6 ints is not enough to get him a seat on the bench....  I don't know what is. 

11 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I was rediculed for creating this thread several weeks ago, but I still feel the team "caved" (if panicked is too strong a word for some) and resigned Fitz.  I mean there was NO ONE bidding for his services; we could have let Geno and Petty fight it out and if the both struggled we could brought back.  The more likely scenerio imho, is that Petty or Geno would actually play well enough that there would be no need to sign him at all.

Of course the teams "veterans" might not like it but their job is to PLAY, not coach or sign players.   You look at NE and you NEVER see them making moves like this even if it winds up costing them in the short run.  Now after 3 weeks, we can get accustomed to the Fitz rollar-coaster of up one week and down the other. Or in some case, in the same game.

Instead of finding out if our 2nd or 5th year quarterbacks can excel with all the assembled talent on offense, we are stuck with a very limited journeyman quarterback whom, EVERYONE knows can't beat you deep; who still makes "rookie mistakes" like throwing into double and triple coverage, locking onto his receivers and even sliding HEAD FIRST! (Whats up with that??)   

I regret wishing injury on him but if 6 ints is not enough to get him a seat on the bench....  I don't know what is. 

If Maccagnan didn't re-sign him, and they got out to the exact same start in Fitz's absence, people would be calling for him to be fired. That is why Fitzpatrick was brought back.

Lose with Fitz = Well, Maccagnan tried.

Lose without him = What an idiot! We would've won 11 games if they brought back Fitz the record-setter!

Doesn't matter that we weren't making the playoffs with or without him, as much as the most diehard fan wished to ignore last season's circumstances and upcoming season realities, and scoff at our upside-down schedule change from 2015 to 2016. I don't agree with it, even though I can sympathize with the optimism. 

*sigh*

Look, the season's not over. We're 1-2 not 0-6. But this handicap of a brutal early schedule plus the handicap at QB, combined with what is proving to be a handicap at HC, suggests a playoff appearance (let alone a superbowl) remains unlikely. 

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If Maccagnan didn't re-sign him, and they got out to the exact same start in Fitz's absence, people would be calling for him to be fired. That is why Fitzpatrick was brought back.

Lose with Fitz = Well, Maccagnan tried.

Lose without him = What an idiot! We would've won 11 games if they brought back Fitz the record-setter!

Doesn't matter that we weren't making the playoffs with or without him, as much as the most diehard fan wished to ignore last season's circumstances and upcoming season realities, and scoff at our upside-down schedule change from 2015 to 2016. I don't agree with it, even though I can sympathize with the optimism. 

*sigh*

Look, the season's not over. We're 1-2 not 0-6. But this handicap of a brutal early schedule plus the handicap at QB, combined with what is proving to be a handicap at HC, suggests a playoff appearance (let alone a superbowl) remains unlikely. 

No doubt, but I prefer to think what if we lose but find our quarterback in Petty or Smith?  In fact, I think we could be 1-2 or 2-1 with Smith or Petty at the helm (of course we could also be 0-3...)

I know the season is not over and I am not really that concerned about how brutal the schedule is.  We could have and probably should have beaten Cinn.  KC didn't beat us, we beat ourselves.  We will see which Jet team shows up on Sunday but I think we can match up with any team at just about any position.... except at quarterback and that is the problem.  I would be willing to take my chances with the arms of Smith or Petty.  I know it won't happen until we are completely out of it or Fitz goes down with an injury. 

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

My answer to you is Who Cares? We dont even know if Petty is healthy?

Archived