Jets Panicked and Resigned Fitz.

JetBlue

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the op could not be any further from the truth in his post. The fact is that for all of Fitz physical limitations, he still makes better decisions in game situations than our other options. For all of Geno's physical abilities, he does not possess the required ability to make good critical decisions that minimize mistakes and turnovers. 

It's obvious that the front office wanted to find a QB that possessed both the required intellect and physical talent but they did not believe anyone existed, so instead they chose to place the greatest emphasis on minimizing turnovers and built an offensive game plan around low risk power running game with short pass accuracy a la Pennington, until they feel like they found the desire combo somewhere else. 

10 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't care about the higher pick. And half the time top guys drafted don't end up being the best players. I know we didn't make the playoffs last year but it was a fun year and a lot better than 2014. 

I dont find winning 10 games and choking on Week 17 in an win and in game, fun.  I find it very SOJ and it's disgusting.  

And you're wrong, the difference between top 5 and mid 1st is huge.  For example, this season we could be rolling out Jalen Ramsey opposite Revis instead of reaching for a MLB who they didnt even use last week to stop exactly what they drafted him for.

Again, your entertainment doesnt make the team better.  And I cant even grasp the concept of mediocrity being fun or entertaining but that's a different conversation on a whole other level. 

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont find winning 10 games and choking on Week 17 in an win and in game, fun.  I find it very SOJ and it's disgusting.  

And you're wrong, the difference between top 5 and mid 1st is huge.  For example, this season we could be rolling out Jalen Ramsey opposite Revis instead of reaching for a MLB who they didnt even use last week to stop exactly what they drafted him for.

Again, your entertainment doesnt make the team better.  And I cant even grasp the concept of mediocrity being fun or entertaining but that's a different conversation on a whole other level. 

It was fun for basically 16 weeks, which is more than we could say about the Jets for the previous 4 seasons.

And no, mediocrity is not fun.  Which is exactly why everyone is rightly pissed about Week 1.  As bad as we played, we should have won the game, because we were at home coming off a 10-6 season, and especially because we were up 7-0, with the ball deep in Cincy's territory, before you could even blink. 

The expectations are higher than mediocrity, but with this loss, now people are saying they'll be OK with 8-8.  I know I won't be. 

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It was fun for basically 16 weeks, which is more than we could say about the Jets for the previous 4 seasons.

And no, mediocrity is not fun.  Which is exactly why everyone is rightly pissed about Week 1.  As bad as we played, we should have won the game, because we were at home coming off a 10-6 season, and especially because we were up 7-0, with the ball deep in Cincy's territory, before you could even blink. 

The expectations are higher than mediocrity, but with this loss, now people are saying they'll be OK with 8-8.  I know I won't be. 

That's like saying that run down the black diamond was fun till I broke my leg at the end.

The expectations were/are playoffs.  Everything Big Mac and Bowles have done and everything this team has said this offseason indicates that's the expectations.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's like saying that run down the black diamond was fun till I broke my leg at the end.

The expectations were/are playoffs.  Everything Big Mac and Bowles have done and everything this team has said this offseason indicates that's the expectations.

You know that expectations were not playoffs.  Only when we went on that late season tear did we have hope of the playoffs.

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

With all due respect, because some fans feel that making Fitz a bottom two or three paid veteran QB is overpaying does not make it so.  

Off the top of my head, I think the only non-rookie contract QB making less than Fitz is RG III.

Fitz was still on the open market on the day before training camp began. He may have gotten a single offer from the Broncos for $7M, but that's unsubstantiated. Otherwise, he got no offers. 

The Jets overpaid. By a lot. 

Just now, whodeawhodat said:

You know that expectations were not playoffs.  Only when we went on that late season tear did we have hope of the playoffs.

I'm talking about this year.  There is zero doubt that everyone employed by Jets are expecting playoffs. 

But I disagree to an extent about last season.  Yes, preseason the playoffs were not the expectation.  But after a 4-1 start to the season in which teams make the playoffs close to 80% of the time....the expectations change.  They choked last year away.

1 minute ago, slats said:

Fitz was still on the open market on the day before training camp began. He may have gotten a single offer from the Broncos for $7M, but that's unsubstantiated. Otherwise, he got no offers. 

I respect your opinion on the matter.

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

I get it.  But if we're not going to make the playoffs I'd rather be competitive than not.  Football is about entertainment (arguing otherwise is silly, it's not THAT serious), and I was entertained for 16 weeks, because we were winning games. The last week sucked, but now the expectation is to make the playoffs this time around. 

Fail to do so and it's reasonable to question whether Macc and Bowles are the right duo for the franchise. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm talking about this year.  There is zero doubt that everyone employed by Jets are expecting playoffs. 

But I disagree to an extent about last season.  Yes, preseason the playoffs were not the expectation.  But after a 4-1 start to the season in which teams make the playoffs close to 80% of the time....the expectations change.  They choked last year away.

Serious question....what percentage of the time do teams make the playoffs when they win 10 games?

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Serious question....what percentage of the time do teams make the playoffs when they win 10 games?

85 % of the time since 2002, when the current 32-team format began.  Our failure to make it was a bit of a statistical anomaly.  That doesn't mean we should feel a whole lot better about that Week 17 game, but it DOES mean it's fair to say we were a playoff-caliber team last season for the first time since 2010. 

Just now, JiF said:

so once our season started you were mezmorized by the fitzmagic and had hope of the playoffs? i kid, i kid

You bolded the part about it being fun for 16 weeks, which I sure agree with and I already signed up for another 16 weeks with a shot at 17.  Nothing is guaranteed so maybe you and SAR I should move on to college football, hockey or bball(ignore the muts).  Actually might want to skip the gatas for a couple weeks too, noles are going to prove alligator tears exist in a couple weeks when they get to the swamp.

1 hour ago, Lizard King said:

the op could not be any further from the truth in his post. The fact is that for all of Fitz physical limitations, he still makes better decisions in game situations than our other options. For all of Geno's physical abilities, he does not possess the required ability to make good critical decisions that minimize mistakes and turnovers. 

It's obvious that the front office wanted to find a QB that possessed both the required intellect and physical talent but they did not believe anyone existed, so instead they chose to place the greatest emphasis on minimizing turnovers and built an offensive game plan around low risk power running game with short pass accuracy a la Pennington, until they feel like they found the desire combo somewhere else. 

Well I guess you didn't read my post because you assume Geno would have won the competition with Petty.  I am not so sure about that.... 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

85 % of the time since 2002, when the current 32-team format began. 

Yup...found that and edited my question to Jif.  Not getting in was a fluke.  Might see another fluke this season with an 8 win team getting in.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I get it.  But if we're not going to make the playoffs I'd rather be competitive than not.  Football is about entertainment (arguing otherwise is silly, it's not THAT serious), and I was entertained for 16 weeks, because we were winning games. The last week sucked, but now the expectation is to make the playoffs this time around. 

Fail to do so and it's reasonable to question whether Macc and Bowles are the right duo for the franchise. 

Meh, I get no pleasure going 8-8.  It feels no different than 4-12...but to each their own.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Not sure but I know it's insanely high. 

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Well I guess you didn't read my post because you assume Geno would have won the competition with Petty.  I am not so sure about that.... 

If Petty couldn't jump Geno for # 2 duties (and thus, if he had won that job, making it possible the Jets wouldn't have to carry 4 QB's), it seems unlikely Petty would have won a competition for starting duties. 

The Jets spent all offseason prior to Fitz's signing paying lip service to the idea that Geno could handle the starting gig if needed.  I doubt they would have gone against that.  Petty, meanwhile, apparently still isn't ready for # 2 duties, let alone # 1.  There were even people here saying we should have tried to cut Petty and stash him on the PS. 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

And that is why I said they "panicked".  

Just now, JiF said:

Meh, I get no pleasure going 8-8.  It feels no different than 4-12...but to each their own.

Not sure but I know it's insanely high. 

Found it...it's 85%.  Fluke that they didn't get in.

3 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

so once our season started you were mezmorized by the fitzmagic and had hope of the playoffs? i kid, i kid

You bolded the part about it being fun for 16 weeks, which I sure agree with and I already signed up for another 16 weeks with a shot at 17.  Nothing is guaranteed so maybe you and SAR I should move on to college football, hockey or bball(ignore the muts).  Actually might want to skip the gatas for a couple weeks too, noles are going to prove alligator tears exist in a couple weeks when they get to the swamp.

I love these posts.  Because I dont agree with you I should go watch and root for something else?  GFY but in the kindest way possible.  

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

There's a fairly massive difference between 8-8 and 10-6.  8-8 means no playoffs unless you're in a terrible division.  10-6 means playoffs nearly 90 % of the time.  I was entertained when we were 10-5 heading into Week 17.  I will not be entertained if we go 8-8 this year. 

Just now, JiF said:

Sure...but they controlled their own destiny and came up short.  Just because their part of the 15% doesnt excuse getting swept by the Bills and losing a win and in game.

No one is arguing that that last game sucked.  What you're trying to argue is that one loss made you prefer 4-12 overnight.  Which is silly.  You're the same guy who has said teams need to "learn to win".  4-12 with that roster would have meant Bowles totally sucks and we needed to already start thinking about a new coach. 

Just now, JiF said:

Sure...but they controlled their own destiny and came up short.  Just because their part of the 15% doesnt excuse getting swept by the Bills and losing a win and in game.

I know...I know...no excuses for Fitz.  He's not allowed those.  Other QB's???  Well, that's a different story.

You should go up to Buffalo tomorrow...beer's on me.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Petty couldn't jump Geno for # 2 duties (and thus, if he had won that job, making it possible the Jets wouldn't have to carry 4 QB's), it seems unlikely Petty would have won a competition for starting duties. 

The Jets spent all offseason prior to Fitz's signing paying lip service to the idea that Geno could handle the starting gig if needed.  I doubt they would have gone against that.  Petty, meanwhile, apparently still isn't ready for # 2 duties, let alone # 1.  There were even people here saying we should have tried to cut Petty and stash him on the PS. 

Not true if there was a real open competition for starting qb, whicht here might have been if Fit z had not been resigned.  Once he was signed, he was named starter and got all the first team reps leaving Geno and Petty to fight it out for 2nd and 3rd team reps.

Just now, JetBlue said:

Not true if there was a real open competition for starting qb, whicht here might have been if Fit z had not been resigned.  Once he was signed, he was named starter and got all the first team reps leaving Geno and Petty to fight it out for 2nd and 3rd team reps.

There was a true competition for # 2 duties.  The Jets wanted Petty to win that # 2 job so they could only carry 3 QB's.  He didn't. 

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

I can't believe how many fans do not understand the concept of having a winning attitude and building on that going forward.  Sure there are examples of teams that make a nice turnaround, just like the Jets did last season thankfully having a better Qb than Smith.  But for the most part the teams that win in a given season are ones that have been winning.  Veteran players do not want to waste a season on a team that is tanking, and the worst thing for young players to see and be around is vets who are disenchanted.

Go ask Brandon Marshall if he wished last season was one the team took off.  Or Mangold.  Sure they're disappointed to have not made the playoffs.  But do you think THEY wish they lost more games than they did?

Of course not.  Fans like you don't get it.

There was a true competition for # 2 duties.  The Jets wanted Petty to win that # 2 job so they could only carry 3 QB's.  He didn't. 

Actually some might say he was winning until he got hurt.  Plus the scenarios are completely different.   Once Fitz signed there was no open comp for starter and that is what this entire thread was about.

No one is arguing that that last game sucked.  What you're trying to argue is that one loss made you prefer 4-12 overnight.  Which is silly.  You're the same guy who has said teams need to "learn to win".  4-12 with that roster would have meant Bowles totally sucks and we needed to already start thinking about a new coach. 

I'm not really sure what you're talking about anymore.  I said I'd prefer 4-12 to 8-8.  I'm not saying because we didnt win last year I hope we go 4-12. I dont even know how you came to that conclusion. lol  I've been saying for 2 pages that playoffs are the expectation.  

And when I said we needed to "learn to win" - I thought we were breaking in a baby at QB in Geno.  Not rolling with a journeyman vet in Fitz.  Huge difference there when it pertains to learning to win. 

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I know...I know...no excuses for Fitz.  He's not allowed those.  Other QB's???  Well, that's a different story.

You should go up to Buffalo tomorrow...beer's on me.

No clue what this is in response to or what you're talking about. 

13 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

That's a great post right there and just so right on...I was watching highlights of the games last Sunday and watching tons of long TD passes more than 5 yard drop downs to the RB and thinking that we have not had that capability since VT was here. That's 15  years virtually of dink and dunk boring football.

The problem isn't just that it's boring, the problem is that it's hard to have success as an offense without any quick strike, downfield capability. Every drive has to be a plodding, methodical trudge down the field. One penalty, one sack, and the drive stalls. And now you're also facing defenses who know you can't beat them over the top, making you easier to defend. 

Archived