Darron Lee

HoustonJet

14 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Everything said about him so far is true to some degree, both on the positive and negative side.  I lean towards seeing more promise than bust at this point, because he's making as many plays as he's missing and he's flashed at times.  And he has literally had one camp and two games.  He should be a trainwreck.  Like Pryor was early on.  Like winters was early on.  Like most rookies are early on.  But he's not a trainwreck.  He's just not very good yet.  But he's certainly ahead of the curve for a rookie if you ask me.

Good post.  I was not a fan of the pick at the time, but after seeing him play two games, I am feeling a lot better about it than I did in April.  The guy has flashed and made some plays as shown above, which is really all you can ask of a rookie in his first two games.  He has also displayed some the the hesitation that concerned me coming out of college.  He was slow to fill the hole on McCoy's 24 yard run and looked like he hesitated a beat on the TD to Gillislee later in the quarter.  I have not watched the game back, so I could be mistaken, but those we my impressions watching the game live.  As he gets more experience, hopefully the instincts get better and we see him the flashes increase and mistakes decrease.  Encouraging start to his career, imo.

5 hours ago, Larz said:

thanks !   I noticed the bills sent a guy in motion to that side. not a great idea, revis is a good tackler, lol. 

the first gif didn't work for me, can you imbed it again ?

Does it work now?  

That whole play was to go up the middle and Lee blew it up, lol

Darron Lee 2.gif

4 hours ago, Jet9 said:

That 2nd play was on Incognito. That was as bad as the Revis TD, he smoked him, lol.

Yeah, I believe the guard was supposed to come out and block him at an angle, wall him off from McCoy, but Lee ran right by him so there was no cut-back option.  Lee isn't perfect, and there are times he gets pushed back, but if you give him open space, he has great closing ability.  

No; I think once Jet fans label him a bust after 2 games - he is a bust. Nothing you can do.

I was not thrilled with the pick, but he was picked at just about where he was targeted to go. He had to be red-shirted as a freshman due to injury. He changed positions. 2 games in, he is playing like a rookie. Can't always go by size.

Brees too short to be a QB in this league. Matt Leinart ideal size.

Let's see him play for a least another 2 games before we label him a bust.

20 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Everything said about him so far is true to some degree, both on the positive and negative side.  I lean towards seeing more promise than bust at this point, because he's making as many plays as he's missing and he's flashed at times.  And he has literally had one camp and two games.  He should be a trainwreck.  Like Pryor was early on.  Like winters was early on.  Like most rookies are early on.  But he's not a trainwreck.  He's just not very good yet.  But he's certainly ahead of the curve for a rookie if you ask me.

Speed makes up for a lot. He will be something when his head catches up to his feet.  NFL strength program will also add to his eventual success.  Right now he is like rudderless boat with a jet engine on it. 

On 9/17/2016 at 9:15 AM, Larz said:

I noticed that. It was after the bills TD in the prevent. Not sure what Lee did wrong but Bowles didn't like his answer at all. I'm sure they will have a chat, lol

He had a chance to tackle the guy before getting in the end zone and didnt, left it to Revis to make the tackle. If he makes the tackle there they stop them from scoring on that play which would've taken more time of the clock or forced Bills to burn a TO. He sort of stopped on his way to making the tackle. 

1 hour ago, CaliforniaJet said:

He had a chance to tackle the guy before getting in the end zone and didnt, left it to Revis to make the tackle. If he makes the tackle there they stop them from scoring on that play which would've taken more time of the clock or forced Bills to burn a TO. He sort of stopped on his way to making the tackle. 

Day-um

His size is no issue at all (not that, that will stop me from referring to it all the time in the future.).  He has good speed and seems to be decent at play recognition but like Pryor when he 1st came into the league he takes some really awful angles.  That 2nd hilight he takes a bad angle and essentially did nothing in the play, the Rb was outside him immediately.

He also took a horrible angle on the TE big gainer he gave up and also on the last Buff td in which Bowles blasted him on the sidelines.  He'll do okay with our dline because they will keep our lbs clean but he has the poor angle issues and a bit of an effort problem on a few plays.

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

His size is no issue at all (not that, that will stop me from referring to it all the time in the future.).  He has good speed and seems to be decent at play recognition but like Pryor when he 1st came into the league he takes some really awful angles.  That 2nd hilight he takes a bad angle and essentially did nothing in the play, the Rb was outside him immediately.

He also took a horrible angle on the TE big gainer he gave up and also on the last Buff td in which Bowles blasted him on the sidelines.  He'll do okay with our dline because they will keep our lbs clean but he has the poor angle issues and a bit of an effort problem on a few plays.

I disagree on your reading of the end around run. He was in the gap quickly. Incognito reached out and impeded him just enough to delay him a step... then he accelerated and was closing on the runner as the other defenders contained. Main value of the play is to see that he can read the gap and take it by sheer speed.

Yeah, he's still tentative at times... rookie issue.

On 9/18/2016 at 1:43 AM, win4ever said:

In the process of writing up the offensive film review for tomorrow morning, but I did read this, so here you go, lol.  

There is another one that I thought was more impressive, but he doesn't get credit for because I believe Wilkerson made the tackle.  The one where he shot the gap and made the tackle, the Bills didn't really prepare for him, as they were running away from him, so he showed some impressive closing speed.  That kind of tackle is pretty impressive, and he has a penchant of doing that somewhat often.   

http://www.jetnation.com/2016/08/17/weapons-check-darron-lee-preseason-week-1/#sthash.6nVcKldN.E1VI0Pia.dpbs

This is an earlier weapons check on him from the preseason, and Play 4 is a very similar play. 

The second play shown here is more impressive to me, because the Bills have a lineman account for Lee.  Infact, from what I could tell, Lee occupies the cutback lane for McCoy to run forward, but Lee blows it up with his speed, breaking down the entire play.  McCoy is forced to go outside, where there is a crowd waiting for him, and he loses yardage.  I thought this was more impressive because the Bills already have someone there to take care of Lee, and he just flat out beats him with speed.  

Darron Lee 2.gif

Darron Lee 1.gif

The all-white is actually a good look IMO

11 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I disagree on your reading of the end around run. He was in the gap quickly. Incognito reached out and impeded him just enough to delay him a step... then he accelerated and was closing on the runner as the other defenders contained. Main value of the play is to see that he can read the gap and take it by sheer speed.

Yeah, he's still tentative at times... rookie issue.

He ran right by incognito but then immediately took a step inside while the RB was going outside all the way, the good thing about that play is he must have read a run to that side because of this pre snap step to the right.  At least he is starting to get more playing time, partly due to injury and partly because other teams are going pass on 1st down. 

Hopefully the angle issue is an experience thing and not an instinct thing.

On 9/17/2016 at 9:55 AM, Matt39 said:

They're playing the undrafted MSU kid over Mauldin now. He'll be gone next year if he even makes it through this year.

My concern with Mauldin is that he seems to be an offsides-machine...  If the O needs 5 yards, just give a hard count, and Mauldin will jump.

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He ran right by incognito but then immediately took a step inside while the RB was going outside all the way,

It's certainly possible that he was just protecting his gap.  Lee ran straight through his gap, which forced the RB to continue to go wide - where there was tons of help.  If he tried to cut him off to the right, a cutback could be very dangerous - as it didn't look like there was ANY help inside.

6 minutes ago, thshadow said:

It's certainly possible that he was just protecting his gap.  Lee ran straight through his gap, which forced the RB to continue to go wide - where there was tons of help.  If he tried to cut him off to the right, a cutback could be very dangerous - as it didn't look like there was ANY help inside.

No the back was already by him because he took that step, the back never really changes direction at all, he didn't string the play out, out penetration from the outside shut it down.  It was not terrible play on his part but we have no big outside support on that play the rb runs right by him and gets the sidelines.

Archived