The Play of the Game

Tinstar

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Anyone with eyes to see will say some (certainly not all) of the INT's this year are the fault of the WR's, either not catching a ball that hit them squarely in the hands/chest (deflection INT's) or falling down on their face (Marshall yesterday).  A few have also been at least partially the O-line, allowing D-linemen pressure in to make deflections.

None of this frees Fitz from responsibility, and none of this is debating in objective terms.  What Jets Fans seem to refuse to see is that this team is failing in almost every aspect of the game thus far in 2016.  QB, certainly, is playing poorly, but so are the WR's (and some are hurt to boot), Forte is a dropoff from Ivory, especially in the Red Zone (where it's seriously costing us), Specials have given up multiple other-way TD's already, and our Pass Defense is amongst the worst in the NFL in every category.  Only our D-line is playing average football thus far....average, from a group that was supposed to be historic and game-changing.

Make no mistake, Fitz is playing horribly.  He has earned a benching.  But we're living in a fantasy world where a simply Fitz-replaced-by-QB-X means we're 4-0 or 3-1 today.  Lol, no.

But we're 1-3 now, and the team is going down the drain, badly and early, so make a change if we think that will help, or provide a spark, or get something going.  Fully support it if thats what happens.  Fitz has lost any defense he might once have earned.  But don't be shocked if making a QB change is deckchairs on the Titanic, this team is vastly underperforming, is hurt all over the place, and (thus far at least) has been poorly led, and poorly schemed and (sad as it is) the moves of last offseason almost to a man seem to have been poor, especially IMO the Forte>Ivory decision, which IMO is our biggest issue in punching it in in the Red Zone, forcing Fitz to throw every time, with sadly predictable results.

Yeah, except nobody has made this assertion you're now arguing against. What poster here claimed we'd be 4-0 if he was replaced by "QB-X" as you put it?

Quite consistently, virtually every argument for benching him (or not bringing him back in the first place at starter money) is that Fitz's ceiling is too low, and this wastes a season - or too much of a season - that could have been spent trying out a young QB (or multiple young QBs) that might have a higher ceiling. 

Now that they've signed him for $12M after losing a 4 month long standoff he's not getting benched so fast. 

Petty is, from every report I hear, still hurt.

It's Fitz or Geno.  Or Hack, I suppose.

So I expect it will be Fitz for a while still to come.

If and when a change is made, it'll be to Petty, and it'll be later in the year, when we're well are truly out of contention.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Petty is, from every report I hear, still hurt.

It's Fitz or Geno.  Or Hack, I suppose.

So I expect it will be Fitz for a while still to come.

If and when a change is made, it'll be to Petty, and it'll be later in the year, when we're well are truly out of contention.

by thanksgiving it will be petty throwing to peake, jalin marshall and devin smith.  and we're taking a cb in the first round, like jordan lewis.  history repeats itself.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Anyone with eyes to see will say some (certainly not all) of the INT's this year are the fault of the WR's, either not catching a ball that hit them squarely in the hands/chest (deflection INT's) or falling down on their face (Marshall yesterday).  A few have also been at least partially the O-line, allowing D-linemen pressure in to make deflections.

None of this frees Fitz from responsibility, and none of this is debating in objective terms.  What Jets Fans seem to refuse to see is that this team is failing in almost every aspect of the game thus far in 2016.  QB, certainly, is playing poorly, but so are the WR's (and some are hurt to boot), Forte is a dropoff from Ivory, especially in the Red Zone (where it's seriously costing us), Specials have given up multiple other-way TD's already, and our Pass Defense is amongst the worst in the NFL in every category.  Only our D-line is playing average football thus far....average, from a group that was supposed to be historic and game-changing.

Make no mistake, Fitz is playing horribly.  He has earned a benching.  But we're living in a fantasy world where a simply Fitz-replaced-by-QB-X means we're 4-0 or 3-1 today.  Lol, no.

But we're 1-3 now, and the team is going down the drain, badly and early, so make a change if we think that will help, or provide a spark, or get something going.  Fully support it if thats what happens.  Fitz has lost any defense he might once have earned.  But don't be shocked if making a QB change is deckchairs on the Titanic, this team is vastly underperforming, is hurt all over the place, and (thus far at least) has been poorly led, and poorly schemed and (sad as it is) the moves of last offseason almost to a man seem to have been poor, especially IMO the Forte>Ivory decision, which IMO is our biggest issue in punching it in in the Red Zone, forcing Fitz to throw every time, with sadly predictable results.

While the players seem to be playing slow and uninspired I feel the coaching staff is more to blame here. They are making the same mistakes they made last year in numerous categories. In the KC game it seemed they had like 8 men in coverage at times because they did not fear our slow ineffective running game. That's an impossible scenario for any QB. At times you would say hey Fitz throw the damn ball away if its not there but in that case half of his throws would have been to players standing on the sidelines. They were doubling both our WR';s and bringing LB's underneath. Who needs to adjust in that scenario ? what happened to the 2 back sets we were supposed to see with Powell and Forte ? Why has our starting QB not worked with Peake and Anderson ??? You have to think at some point those guys were going to get reps when Marshall and Decker were  getting 70 ******* snaps a game. You had to think Powell would get more than 5-7 touches when our 31 year old back was heading for 400 touches.

On defense at some point you have to think about double teaming AJ Green right ? At some point with all the missed assignments some coach has to be held accountable. right ?

Is Bowles like the quiet Rex Ryan ? It seems like each week is a carbon copy of the previous week.

I watched the Chiefs play the Steelers yesterday some would say they were shocked by the outcome but in reality the Chiefs had to play a different Defense vs the Steelers because they have breakaway threats at both Receiver and Running back. You can't compare that to what they did to the Jets they just got out classed by a superior offense since they were forced to play them straight up.

One thing to me is certain we have been out coached in just about every game and in two of those games we utterly dominated in every aspect yeat won by 6 points in one game and lost the other by 1 point.  This Head Coach is terrible and while other teams have adjusted we simply have not. While other teams have burned us in certain areas we didn't make the proper in game adjustments either.

This is yet another talented Jets football team that's poorly coached and I expect this to get much worse in Pittsburgh next week. I'm not sure how we even dream to compete with that football team in their house with the schemes we have put forth so far this season. This is a disgrace reaching Kotite levels

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Now that they've signed him for $12M after losing a 4 month long standoff he's not getting benched so fast. 

He's not getting benched because Macc and Bowles simply do not agree with you my friend.  You can be unhappy about it all you like, but they run the show, and they're not in alignment with your thinking.

1. We're not going to see Geno, that much seems clear.

2. With Petty hurt in Preseason, and Hack miles from ready for the NFL, which "young QB with potentially higher upside" should we be starting, exactly?

What too many people refuse to see if that Geno is done here, and the staff has no intention of playing him unless Fitz loses an arm in a tragic shaving accident.

Let it go, Geno is done here.  Want to talk about the future, lets talk Petty/Hack.....not a fun conversation right now, frankly, with one hurt and one looking like dogsh*t. 

What can the coaching staff do fitz is wiildly inaccurate on mid to deep balls .. teams are  going sit and jump his short routes cause it's his bread and butter .. they pretty much dare Fitz to beat them deep .. 

Which is also why we can't run the ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

He's not getting benched because Macc and Bowles simply do not agree with you my friend.  You can be unhappy about it all you like, but they run the show, and they're not in alignment with your thinking.

1. We're not going to see Geno, that much seems clear.

2. With Petty hurt in Preseason, and Hack miles from ready for the NFL, which "young QB with potentially higher upside" should we be starting, exactly?

What too many people refuse to see if that Geno is done here, and the staff has no intention of playing him unless Fitz loses an arm in a tragic shaving accident.

Let it go, Geno is done here.  Want to talk about the future, lets talk Petty/Hack.....not a fun conversation right now, frankly, with one hurt and one looking like dogsh*t. 

Petty was hurt in preseason because they kept Geno ahead of him not the other way around. They should have cut Geno and kept Petty out of the last preseason game, as I've said before no matter how much you want to tag me as having major man love for the guy. 

The GM bringing Fitz back was a PR move to shield himself from the criticism of not bringing him back and not winning. Lose with Fitz and he's still viewed as smart (as some still render him totally blameless now); lose without bringing back Fitz and there would be actual woulda-won scenarios claimed after each loss, unlike the nonexistent ones you made up for the purpose of easy arguing against.

And the QB that may have had the higher upside would include either backup (except their other decision to draft the project Hackenberg on the heels of drafting the project Petty). In other words they brought in only project prospects - Petty and then Hackenberg - to be their future QBs. Then excuse-making fans like yourself rationalized bringing back Fitz because the only other alternatives are Petty and Hackenberg, who are unready because they're both projects, or Geno. Thing is, it's a problem of their own making. 

This franchise went from foolishly throwing unready prospects out there week 1 of rookie seasons to the other end of the spectrum of foolishly not letting prospects see the field for their first two years. Petty looked good enough to be the #2 QB. As much as Rex did with Sanchez in 2013, these guys got Petty unnecessarily injured in the last preseason game. So Petty's injury is a poor excuse for these guys.

As much as most want to see Petty replace Fitz as soon as he's able, I'll be unsurprised to find that when Bowles finally does pull Fitz it'll be for Geno (even if Petty is healthy). Then they may pull Geno for Petty (or he may even go back to Fitz lol) with 1-3 games remaining, which won't be enough of an audition to consider Petty the starter next year no matter how well he performs. So next year again will be Petty, Hackenberg, plus (1) a meh veteran & another draft pick, or (2) sinking $$$ into a FA QB like Glennon to be the instant starter before giving Petty a legitimate on-field opportunity.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

None of this frees Fitz from responsibility, and none of this is debatable in objective terms.  What Jets Fans seem to refuse to see is that this team is failing in almost every aspect of the game thus far in 2016.  QB, certainly, is playing poorly, but so are the WR's (and some are hurt to boot), Forte is a dropoff from Ivory, especially in the Red Zone (where it's seriously costing us), Specials have given up multiple other-way TD's already, and our Pass Defense is amongst the worst in the NFL in every category.  Only our D-line is playing average football thus far....average, from a group that was supposed to be historic and game-changing.

We got very lucky with ivory.. Before we got him his MO was one injury after another.. It was only a matter of time before he broke down again.. He doesn't seem to be doing that well this yr either..https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/jaguars-chris-ivory-remains-ineffective-on-the-ground/amp/?client=safari

maybe one day the jets will realize, it's not a bad thing to draft a sure hit rb in the first or 2nd instead of ALWAYS going defense.. Instead of picking one in the mid to late rounds.. Powell, Greene, ect.. backs that are good supplementary runners, but not the feature backs you have to grab in the 1st or 2nd rounds.. 

21 hours ago, jetsfan719 said:

As a fitz supporter i agree he needs to be pulled. But how can anyone still want to see what geno can do?! Do u rele think theres the slightest bit of hope with geno? I rather play fitz until the second petty is ready then see genos face on tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure anyone really wants to. It's more an anyone but Fitz thing at this point. I mean what could anyone do worse at this point?

47 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Not sure anyone really wants to. It's more an anyone but Fitz thing at this point. I mean what could anyone do worse at this point?

I did and probably still would, but truth be told it would be best to see what Petty has to offer before it becomes all about Hackenberg  in 2017

12 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Fitz didn't look wildly inaccurate in the Buffalo game did he ? Teams are adjusting to us and what we do making it extremely hard on the QB. We have not adjusted to what teams are showing us on defense . Fitz didn't just go in the toilet after one game he's trying to pass into the teeth of defenses who are dropping numerous players into coverage and jumping routes. We seem to be playing very slow and that's probably why teams don't fear us or our Running game.

We can go down list on missed opportunities on deep balls being under thrown.. 

Archived