Kacy Rodgers - Bowles True Test to his profession

Gas2No99

Of ALL the units severely underperforming, it seems the consensus is that the Defense is the most disturbing to fans due to Cap space/Draft picks/HC pedigree specifically devoted to that portion of the team when compared to the rest. 

The DC is Rogers who was an 11year DL coach for Dallas and MIA (under Bowles in '12) that NEVER has been a coordinator. The play of the Jets 2016 indicates Rogers is a novice at the coordinator level and he is simply unable to make adjustments thus far to stop opponents 6 weeks into the season. 

He HAS to be replaced and BOWLES - who made his name and reputation as a DC - needs to step in and take over DC duties if he intends to keep his job.  He can not let a highly invested - talent & $-wise - defensive unit keep declining to the abysmal low point that it currently is at. 

I highlighted the two points below to show that our defense is regressing more and more by the game. Bowles has to step in and man this unit and that would be MORE to do for a HC that many here have stated ALREADY seems overwhelmed and over-his-head as well. :unsure:

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

A few day-after thoughts on the Jets: The troubling part is they're getting worse, not better. Their run defense, the only thing they do well, was shredded by a team that started two new guards and isn't known for being physical. The Cards did a nice job of breaking their tendencies. Instead of throwing vertically, which the Jets expected, QB Carson Palmer dinked and dunked. The Jets blitzed on two-thirds of Palmer's dropbacks, but they had no sacks and no turnovers.

The D has been terrible.  However, they've been giving the offense plenty of opportunities.  You cant win scoring 3 points.  

The D forced 4 punts in the first half.  They gave the offense numerous chances.  The offense punted 6 times in the first half.  On 5 of those punts, they went 3 and out.

You can point at the D and say they suck, but one hand washes the other and the purpose of the game is to score more points than your opponent. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

The D has been terrible.  However, they've been giving the offense plenty of opportunities.  You cant win scoring 3 points.  

The D forced 4 punts in the first half.  They gave the offense numerous chances.  The offense punted 6 times in the first half.  On 5 of those punts, they went 3 and out.

You can point at the D and say they suck, but one hand washes the other and the purpose of the game is to score more points than your opponent. 

The Saints defense sucks too, but with the Saints offense we would have been up 21-10 last night with the Jets D forcing 4 punts like they did. There's zero balance between our offense, Defense or specials. Our power ranking is at 30.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I COMPLETELY agree with what you state, but the offense is what I expected from Fitz and no Pounding Run game. 

The defense SHOULD be elite. IT's not even GOOD! so I have a higher standard for the defense due to talent and $ invested compared to the offense's success which is HIGHLY subject to the natural talents and awareness by the captain of the ship (Fitz in this case). I knew the offense was NOT going to replicate last year's Top10 performance, but the defense has NO excuse except for a legit #2 CB.

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

I COMPLETELY agree with what you state, but the offense is what I expected from Fitz and no Pounding Run game. 

The defense SHOULD be elite. IT's not even GOOD! so I have a higher standard for the defense due to talent and $ invested compared to the offense's success which is HIGHLY subject to the natural talents and awareness by the captain of the ship (Fitz in this case). I knew the offense was NOT going to replicate last year's Top10 performance, but the defense has NO excuse except for a legit #2 CB.

Running game is pitiful Forte is washed up we have 0 RB depth on this team 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Rodgers is a card board cut out place holder like Rex's D coordinators, Bowles is running the whole show.

If what you say is true, then WHAT happened to Bowles ability to coach defense?

He built a solid resume as a DC in Philly and Arz before landing here. He just lost ALL his defensive coaching acumen overnight?

That's a bit hard to believe. 

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

He built a solid resume as a DC in Philly and Arz before landing here. He just lost ALL his defensive coaching acumen overnight?

He laid an egg hes not head coaching material isn't it quite obvious the team quit on him and he lost the locker room 

Rex for all his faults would actually personally coach the defense.  A HC is basically a highly paid coordinator too-either offense or defense.  

Kacey should be helping him, but Bowles is the guy who should be doing it.  And they are just awful.  

Maybe Bowles needs a shutdown corner to coach a defense.

Remember what Bum Phillips said about Don Shula (without the country infliection):  He can take his and beat yours, and then take yours and beat his.

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

you can't keep throwing picks in the end zone.  this is worse than sanchez and geno in this regard.  fitz was good in the red zone last year.  i truly believe when decker got hurt he lost all ability to find anyone other than marshall.  decker was the guy who kept defenses honest and allowed him to simply chuck it up for marshall.  with decker in he didn't need to truly scan the field, he figured most of the time one of them would get reasonably open.  decker had what, 10 tds last year, he was the key to the redzone success last year.  fitz cannot adapt to the offense w/o him, which is only further proof of his limitations.  petty has practiced with the other guys more, he will not lock onto the 2 primary guys.

My observations on the sidelines and I was at the Seahawks game is that I never see Bowles with the guys, drawing up a play or pointing out something to a particular unit on the team. The offense and the defense seem lost and ill prepared every week. 2nd half adjustments are just non-existent. They are worse every 2nd half than the first half of every game. Bowles is a DC and a former secondary player. This has to fall on Bowles. I mean how does Bowles recover from this type of coaching and player performance. These guys haven't had an INT or a big play in I can't remember. A coach needs to motivate his players. Bowles seems like he's telling his players to "just go out there and do good and a...be careful". Is this guy a NFL Head Coach or somebody's mother? He keeps saying every week it's all on him. I agree. And we forget about the loss and move on to the next team who will kick are ass the next week. This is not just Rodgers problem it's Bowles problem IMO. If you're gonna fire the DC you might as well fire the OC and HC as well. And not necessarily in that order.

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The Saints defense sucks too, but with the Saints offense we would have been up 21-10 last night with the Jets D forcing 4 punts like they did. There's zero balance between our offense, Defense or specials. Our power ranking is at 30.

Saints, Falcons, Lions, Raiders, Steelers - all have terrible D's.  Yet they all find a ways to win.  I wonder how that happens? 

6 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

It's funny because this offseason all I heard about was that the Jets with Fitz/Gailey present something that nobody in else in the league can boast...an offense that scored at least 2 TD's in every single game last year.  I was told offense has carried the Bowles regime.  So, you and I may not have expected a repeat performance...most everyone else was, including the Jets.

The D is under performing, no doubt about it.  But you have to wonder what they would look like if they werent expected to pitch shut outs to win.  3 and outs, turnovers...it's hard to play D when you have no confidence in your O. 

6 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

That's because as a HC you are responsible for MORE than just the defense. Both coordinators are under performing as are their respective units. Or maybe the Jets really suck as bad as they play on game day. Mo Wilkerson is M.I.A. and Fitzpatrick has reverted to journeyman Ryan and neither coordinator knows how to fix it. Rex was weak on X's and O's and offensive situational stuff, but the team always played fired up. Under Bowles they look like it's nappy time.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Saints, Falcons, Lions, Raiders, Steelers - all have terrible D's.  Yet they all find a ways to win.  I wonder how that happens? 

It's funny because this offseason all I heard about was that the Jets with Fitz/Gailey present something that nobody in else in the league can boast...an offense that scored at least 2 TD's in every single game last year.  I was told offense has carried the Bowles regime.  So, you and I may not have expected a repeat performance...most everyone else was, including the Jets.

The D is under performing, no doubt about it.  But you have to wonder what they would look like if they werent expected to pitch shut outs to win.  3 and outs, turnovers...it's hard to play D when you have no confidence in your O. 

i think we'll have a much better idea of the state of the offense when petty comes in and gets a chance to throw deep with devin smith in the fold.  that's mccags' vision of the offense he wants, whether it's petty or hack who has an even better arm.  petty will be less reliant on brandon marshall and decker who isn't even in.  as i posted above, decker made the offense go with fitz, he allowed marshall to have more room and was the primary redzone target last year.  his absence was i think in the kc game where all the picks started.

12 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Who knows, he is calling the game, he is responsible.  To absolve Bowles at all for this defense would not be just.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Rodgers is a card board cut out place holder like Rex's D coordinators, Bowles is running the whole show.

9 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

FWIW - before starting his Head Coaching career, Todd was asked about if he was going to run the defense and call plays.  His answers were No and NO.

No because he has a DC to run his D.  And no because all the decisions in game are made on offense and calling the D would distract you from making the right calls.

Pretty comical knowing that he's the worst in game Head Coach possibly in the history of the NFL.

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

you can't keep throwing picks in the end zone.  this is worse than sanchez and geno in this regard.  fitz was good in the red zone last year.  i truly believe when decker got hurt he lost all ability to find anyone other than marshall.  decker was the guy who kept defenses honest and allowed him to simply chuck it up for marshall.  with decker in he didn't need to truly scan the field, he figured most of the time one of them would get reasonably open.  decker had what, 10 tds last year, he was the key to the redzone success last year.  fitz cannot adapt to the offense w/o him, which is only further proof of his limitations.  petty has practiced with the other guys more, he will not lock onto the 2 primary guys.

The best was hearing Gruden talk about how Fitz knows he locks onto receivers and gets infatuated with Marshall to often.  He knows these things and after 12 years in the league, cant fix it.  It's impressive.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

FWIW - before starting his Head Coaching career, Todd was asked about if he was going to run the defense and call plays.  His answers were No and NO.

No because he has a DC to run his D.  And no because all the decisions in game are made on offense and calling the D would distract you from making the right calls.

Pretty comical knowing that he's the worst in game Head Coach possibly in the history of the NFL.

He was lying in other words at least according to the commentators last night that came right out and say he calls the D game and Arians calls the o game for Zona.  Also he famously blew the go for 2 pts call vs buffalo because he admitted he was talking about defense on the sideline.

In any case all of these hard core coordinators that become head coaches cave in and take control sooner or later.  Parcells, Payton, McCarthy, Rex, they give guys Independence as ling as things are going great, the moment there is a problem they step in, can't help themselves.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

The best was hearing Gruden talk about how Fitz knows he locks onto receivers and gets infatuated with Marshall to often.  He knows these things and after 12 years in the league, cant fix it.  It's impressive.

Gruden tore Fitzpatrick and the Jets apart last night he said what many of us have said on this very forum on national tv. 

Just now, JiF said:

it's been much worse since decker got hurt.  enunwa should be upset, without decker he was outcaught by robbie anderson and peake.  the writing is on the wall, the jets need a quarterback.  it's at the point where we were at the end of sanchez's and geno's playing, it's hard to watch.  at least this time there are other guys to give some hope.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He was lying in other words at least according to the commentators last night that came right out and say he calls the D game and Arians calls the o game for Zona.  Also he famously blew the go for 2 pts call vs buffalo because he admitted he was talking about defense on the sideline.

In any case all of these hard core coordinators that become head coaches cave in and take control sooner or later.  Parcells, Payton, McCarthy, Rex, they give guys Independence as ling as things are going great, the moment there is a problem they step in, can't help themselves.

I'm just repeating what he said in an interview.  Not sure what is actually taking place. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Too bad Mike Westoff never got a HC gig.. Last night he said he was never a fan of Fitz who can only win when every other phase of the team is working well.. He also said the team doesn't have the right players to run a 3-4 because he doesn't have the right LB'ers.. He should go 4-3 starting next game and stop the Sheldon at LB'er crap.. Also start Geno and get Petty ready ASAP.. He sounds like most Jet fans..LOL

Just now, Savage69 said:

Too bad Mike Westoff never got a HC gig.. Last night he said he was never a fan of Fitz who can only win when every other phase of the team is working well.. He also said the team doesn't have the right players to run a 3-4 because he doesn't have the right LB'ers.. He should go 4-3 starting next game and stop the Sheldon at LB'er crap.. Also start Geno and get Petty ready ASAP.. He sounds like most Jet fans..LOL

Nice bringing this up we should switch to a 4-3 DEFENSE and  knock off this trickery bullsh*t its our only hope at solving the defensive problems at this point 

33 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The Saints scored 19 points against the Cardinals when they played them in 2015.

Gruden tore Fitzpatrick and the Jets apart last night he said what many of us have said on this very forum on national tv. 

I thought Gruden did a very good job last night. He was looking for something positive for the Jets, but it never happened.

BTW, that was the worst officiated NFL game (for both teams) that I ever watched.

Those ticky-tack PI and defensive holdings penalties got to go. Let the players play the game!

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

Hes' full of sh*t and was losing it bad his last year or so as special teams guy.

1) EVeryone in the world knows fitz can only win when the rest of team plays well, big surprise there, what was his alternative trade for Brady?

2) He is 100% ass backwards on his 2nd comment, we drafted mauldin and jordan jenkins to be olbs in a 3-4, Lee is going to be best as an ilb in a 3-4 so we go to 4-3 and are playing richardson all over the place.  I don't disagree about just go to a 4-3 but our lbs are 3-4 lbs all the way.

Just now, PatsFanTX said:

I thought Gruden did a very good job last night. He was looking for something positive for the Jets, but it never happened.

BTW, that was the worst officiated NFL game (for both teams) that I ever watched.

Those ticky-tack PI and defensive holdings penalties got to go. Let the players play the game!

Yea, he's the MNF hype man... his job is to stoke interest in the sub-plots of the game. The sh*tty QBs was the only angle he could work. Everythig else was so bad.

4 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Westoff was an overrated special teams coach and he doesn't know what he's talking about and that's why he is an analyst.

The Jets may not have the linebackers for the 3-4, that's true (though the linebackers haven't been given much of a chance to actually show that to be true) but they certainly don't have the defensive lineman for a 4-3 either. They're basically running a 4-3 now and it's not working. Sheldon at OLB, MLB, wherever is just bad football. Sheldon is Bowles' Coples.

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it's been much worse since decker got hurt.  enunwa should be upset, without decker he was outcaught by robbie anderson and peake.  the writing is on the wall, the jets need a quarterback.  it's at the point where we were at the end of sanchez's and geno's playing, it's hard to watch.  at least this time there are other guys to give some hope.

On the bright side, I think Anderson and Peake can play and could be weapons with an actual QB throwing them the ball. 

6 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

It's amazing how obvious the ****ed up sh*t is on this team but our own coaching staff cant see it.

Richardson playing ILB.  WTF?  I mean seriously.  The person that came up with that idea cant be smacked hard enough. 

39 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Of ALL the units severely underperforming, it seems the consensus is that the Defense is the most disturbing to fans due to Cap space/Draft picks/HC pedigree specifically devoted to that portion of the team when compared to the rest. 

Who said that?? The D isn't great, of course, but when your offense can't move the ball and keep turning it over, the D is going to give up points. If you wanna say the D isn't carrying the team, then yeah, its not. 

The DC is Rogers who was an 11year DL coach for Dallas and MIA (under Bowles in '12) that NEVER has been a coordinator. The play of the Jets 2016 indicates Rogers is a novice at the coordinator level and he is simply unable to make adjustments thus far to stop opponents 6 weeks into the season. 

Falls on the HC far more than the DC. 

He HAS to be replaced and BOWLES - who made his name and reputation as a DC - needs to step in and take over DC duties if he intends to keep his job.  He can not let a highly invested - talent & $-wise - defensive unit keep declining to the abysmal low point that it currently is at. 

Bowles is the one that needs to be gone. He has no guts. Down 3-14, with 14 seconds to go, Bowles decides to punt from like the Cards 48. Why not take a hail mary shot? What the worse, we give away the ball with 4 seconds today? Cards won't try a hail mary at that point being up 3-14. Bowles has no balls. 

Just now, Jetster said:

2015? It's 2016 now, pay attention!

I'm aware of the year. They haven't played each other this year, bud. Just proving that even a great offense like the Saints can struggle against a good defense like Arizona. Especially on the road. The Jets don't even have an average offense.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hes' full of sh*t and was losing it bad his last year or so as special teams guy.

1) EVeryone in the world knows fitz can only win when the rest of team plays well, big surprise there, what was his alternative trade for Brady?

2) He is 100% ass backwards on his 2nd comment, we drafted mauldin and jordan jenkins to be olbs in a 3-4, Lee is going to be best as an ilb in a 3-4 so we go to 4-3 and are playing richardson all over the place.  I don't disagree about just go to a 4-3 but our lbs are 3-4 lbs all the way.

Who is you rush LB'er in the 3-4 because they are not doing squat now..

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Westoff was an overrated special teams coach and he doesn't know what he's talking about and that's why he is an analyst.

The Jets may not have the linebackers for the 3-4, that's true (though the linebackers haven't been given much of a chance to actually show that to be true) but they certainly don't have the defensive lineman for a 4-3 either. They're basically running a 4-3 now and it's not working. Sheldon at OLB, MLB, wherever is just bad football. 

Maybe Bowles just likes 300 pound LB'ers to make up for itty bitty LB'er??:lol:

I don’t think anybody needs to be fired at this point. The defense lacks talent. It’s so obvious. I don’t see how firing anyone mid season is going to help. I know people want to fire everyone at this point but looking at it realistically we know that’s not going to happen. I’m of the belief that a coach should get 3 years unless the first 2 are just awful.

The Jets defense played well last year. Their schemes worked. The schemes are designed to work. The Jets simply have no talent in the secondary.

What I’d like to see happen is a move to FS for Revis and then bring in 2 younger corners to play on the outside. Move Skrine back to the slot where he belongs, or get rid of him. Get rid of Marcus Williams or slide him down the depth chart where he belongs. We have an aging corner in Revis and a couple of scrubs at corner. Pryor is a highlight reel hitter. That’s about it. He’s awful in coverage and with the talent around him he needs to help out more in coverage. That’s a problem for him.

The Jets have no edge rushers. That’s been a problem for so long. They need to revamp the defense. The defense has little talent. That’s not on Rodgers, that’s not on Bowles, that’s not even entirely on Maac. It’s on the organization as a whole throughout the last few years.

Archived