NFL Network suspends Brian Baldinger for bounty comments on Ezekiel Elliott

Jetfan13

The NFL Network has confirmed reports that it has suspended analyst Brian Baldinger for six months without pay for comments he made on 97.5 The Fanatic last Friday suggesting the Eagles should intentionally hurt Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott, Rob Tornoe of Philly.com reports. 

"This is the guy that we've got to hurt," Baldinger told host Anthony Gargano on Friday morning, more than two days before Sunday night’s Eagles-Cowboys game. "This is the guy that we've got to take out of the game. There's got to be 10 guys that want to hurt him every single play. In fact, we may even put a little bounty on Ezekiel Elliott. Let’s get to [backup] Alfred Morris."

The comments were widely criticized by multiple media outlets and former players, such as ex-linebacker London Fletcher, who said it was “reckless” for Baldinger, an NFL employee, to call for a player to be injured.

Baldinger appeared on Tuesday on The Fanatic to discuss the Eagles loss, and all indications are he will make his scheduled appearance on Mornings with Anthony Gargano Thursday during the show's weekly "Meat Locker" segment. Baldinger himself did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

3 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

The NFL Network has confirmed reports that it has suspended analyst Brian Baldinger for six months without pay for comments he made on 97.5 The Fanatic last Friday suggesting the Eagles should intentionally hurt Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott, Rob Tornoe of Philly.com reports. 

"This is the guy that we've got to hurt," Baldinger told host Anthony Gargano on Friday morning, more than two days before Sunday night’s Eagles-Cowboys game. "This is the guy that we've got to take out of the game. There's got to be 10 guys that want to hurt him every single play. In fact, we may even put a little bounty on Ezekiel Elliott. Let’s get to [backup] Alfred Morris."

The comments were widely criticized by multiple media outlets and former players, such as ex-linebacker London Fletcher, who said it was “reckless” for Baldinger, an NFL employee, to call for a player to be injured.

Baldinger appeared on Tuesday on The Fanatic to discuss the Eagles loss, and all indications are he will make his scheduled appearance on Mornings with Anthony Gargano Thursday during the show's weekly "Meat Locker" segment. Baldinger himself did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

I am surprised that a former player would say inflammatory stuff like that. Especially saying they "take him out". That is uncalled for on any level. I think Baldy was just "playing up" to Eagles fans and that is not what he really thinks.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

I am surprised that a former player would say inflammatory stuff like that. Especially saying they "take him out". That is uncalled for on any level. I think Baldy was just "playing up" to Eagles fans and that is not what he really thinks.

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but this is exactly what he is thinking. 

Golic and Louis Redick talked about the same thing on Monday.  The intent is not to end his season, but put enough helmets on him so he cannot finish.

5 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but this is exactly what he is thinking. 

Golic and Louis Redick talked about the same thing on Monday.  The intent is not to end his season, but put enough helmets on him so he cannot finish.

Yeah, that's kind of how I see it to.  Unless he's been warned about inflammatory statements in the past, seems harsh

Archived