Report: Revis Confidant Says Darrelle is Done

JetNation

21 hours ago, flgreen said:

Very unlikely he'll retire while still under contract.  If he does he leaves $6,000,000 on the table.  Just not his nature.  He'll force the Jets hand,  walk away with the money, then retire.

I know that is the reality,  I just thought that ridiculous contract would buy a nice conclusion with Revis retiring as a Jet, headed to the HOF, and fans going to Canton to watch and hear a player (actually drafted by the Jets) give his acceptance speech.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things:

1- It has been an absolute pleasure to watch DR, a future hall of famer play at the level that he has played at for his whole career (minus this season and his one up in New England of course). It sort of reminds me of watching Mickey Mantle play those last two seasons at 1st base for the Yankees in 1967 and '68. Mickey always regretted playing those 2 seasons because it dropped his lifetime BA under .300 which he said he was the one stat that he was the most proud about. But you have to figure that a hundred grand in 1967 and 68's was equivalent to making $697,713.86 per year in today's money-hard to say no to.

2- and the second thing is Revis has never been afraid to get his knee pads dirty or his nose bloodied, why wouldn't he at least consider giving the free safety position a try for a pre-season and if he and the CS thinks he can do it, why not play the 2017 season out in center field?

27 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Two things:

1- It has been an absolute pleasure to watch DR, a future hall of famer play at the level that he has played at for his whole career (minus this season and his one up in New England of course). It sort of reminds me of watching Mickey Mantle play those last two seasons at 1st base for the Yankees in 1967 and '68. Mickey always regretted playing those 2 seasons because it dropped his lifetime BA under .300 which he said he was the one stat that he was the most proud about. But you have to figure that a hundred grand in 1967 and 68's was equivalent to making $697,713.86 per year in today's money-hard to say no to.

2- and the second thing is Revis has never been afraid to get his knee pads dirty or his nose bloodied, why wouldn't he at least consider giving the free safety position a try for a pre-season and if he and the CS thinks he can do it, why not play the 2017 season out in center field?

Because he's going to make 6M just to sit at home.  At a certain point, money just becomes points on a scoreboard.  We haven't seen a lot of Revis living foolishly, and so his great-grandchildren should be millionaires.  At this point, I think Revis will value extending his life/health over a few million dollars more.  It's not like he's ever shown a real passion for the game.  Had he, this would be a different conversation.

17 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah so as long as he just waits to get cut he can just ride off into the sunset with that last 6 mill. Honestly it probably was the plan all along. He's playing not to get hurt right now and nothing else.

I wonder if there is some blow-back from this in future contracts related to effort clauses.  I can't imagine how this would ever be enforced/judged, so it's probably just a cautionary tale, but it would be interesting if teams try to build this sort of thing in, the way they do for off-field stupidity and such.

21 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I wonder if there is some blow-back from this in future contracts related to effort clauses.  I can't imagine how this would ever be enforced/judged, so it's probably just a cautionary tale, but it would be interesting if teams try to build this sort of thing in, the way they do for off-field stupidity and such.

Well I think players are definitely getting weary of the concussion thing....but there also seems to be a theme in Jetland that you dont have to try anymore once you get paid either. The way the CBA is built now you basically need to find the QB pay him and treat everyone else like replaceable parts through the draft.

This was just a crazy contract.  He was guaranteed an enormous and unreasonable amount of money.  

The only rational explanation is that what he is guaranteed next year was basically money due for the 2015 and 2016 but spread to 2017 for cap purposes.  Otherwise, the Jets were betting that Revis would want to keep playing hard through 2018 to collect on his contract.  Now, Revis can say "cut me" and collect $6mm for doing nothing.

It is complete stupidity to guarantee that type of money at the end of someone's career.  I guess the Cowboy's are in the same spot of Romo.    They do not have to keep playing hard for the next contract.  To guarantee money in the last contract, it is very easy for a player to mail it in.  Brick was honorable.  Most are not.

Don't know whether Wilkerson is in that category per se.  He is a different player next year, because he is potentially playing for 2018 and even beyond.  I think he is hurt, and he is disillusioned by the coaching, record, etc.  But he will find it hard to get another big pay day and should hope the Jets don't have to cut him.

Perhaps Revis restructures.  if the Jets cut him, based on this year I think he is working for the minimum plus the rest of the Jets guarantee.  If the Jets offer him a big cut but a more than the guarantee, then they take a chance that he plays hard for 2018.  So Revis can theoretically stick with the Jets for say $7mm or play for someone else for $6mm.   That is the only way I would keep him.

Archived