Report: Revis Confidant Says Darrelle is Done

JetNation

15 hours ago, dbatesman said:

BIG.

F**KING.

MACC.

Macc, as the GM, should get some flak for this, but really, bringing Revis in was the right move. Macc's mistake was betting on Revis being productive for 3 seasons rather than 1 productive season we got from him last year. So he missed the mark on that. And who knew Revis would have such a massive drop off in play this year? I certainly can't claim that I did. Lest we forget that Revis played well the last year, when he was one short of a career high in INTs and had a career high in fumble recoveries- i.e. making plays.  

One of the biggest tasks for Macc when he came on as Jets GM was fixing the horrid secondary after Revis was traded and Milliner flopped. He went ahead and brought in Revis, who at the time was still considered one of the best CBs in the league and just came off a SB title with the Pats. It was a good move. And Macc structured Revis' deal so that after the 2017 season they could cut him with no cap hit. He had no notions that Revis could go on playing at a high level for a long time. He was hedging his bets on 3 seasons- and he only got one. That was a mistake, but who knew? It's not like people were saying, well, I don't know, you're taking a huge risk here. NO. This was as sure of a signing as you could get. There may have been concerns about injuries, but nobody expected this season's debacle. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If this team had even a shred of balls at all at the very least he would be benched and embarrassed.  You want to loaf around?  Then sit on the bench.

Not gonna happen after what Ryan Fitzpatrick said in the presser about this organization and nothing was done, I blame Todd Bowles for all this and more the players are obviously running the team. 

If this story is correct, its good news.

We all expected and/or hoped that the Jets would cut him in 2017.  The fear, as presented by Jason Fitzgerald, was that after the Jets cut him Revis would sign with the Bills, Pats or Dolphins, take all their secrets with him and make the Jets look dumber than they already look (which is really dumb).  So perhaps even the Jets helped place this article to scare those teams from signing him on the rebound (and make them look dumb if he plays for them like he played for the Jets this season).

We and the Jets should get over the fact that Revis is owed another $6mm.  These last contracts are very, very perilous.   Revis is not going to be noble like Brick and walk away from guaranteed money (how much was that, anyway?).   They paid a deal, and they need to pay the piper.   We should just cut our losses, lick our wounds and move forward.

But I would bench him NOW.  If Dexter Macdougle is worse than Revis, he should be cut now.  Sign a senior from Rutgers.  Cutting Revis in 2017 gives the Jets $9mm in cap room.  I would just try and do it as late into 2017 as possible to torture him.

He should not be on the field anymore.

But young players looking for their second big contract should be really p****** off at Revis, Mo, Suh and others who dogged it after getting paid.  As we remember, Woody used to be very reluctant/cheap to pay big second contracts (Abraham, Farrior, Kendall (3rd)).  We felt like that make the Jets look dumb.  Woody and other owners are really going to have a hard think about signing these.  SR should be slapping Revis and Mo around.  There is NO WAY the Jets (or perhaps another team) offer SR a Mo, Malik Jackson or similar contract.

11 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

SO, in other words,  you're on board with Mac brining in HIS SUPPOSED primary choice for HC: Jax OL Doug Marrone? 

What coach out there would be an UPGRADE over Bowles that is currently available? (If they're commentating on TV, they are NOT coming back to coach the Jets)

I'd kick the tires on Frank Reich, or Jim Schwartz, but Schwartz would have to come with a proven offensive coordinator like Norv Turner.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

I didn't need any Revis 'confidant' to tell me he has quit on the team. I have seen it with my own eyes week in and week out, you kidding me? This is a story only for those too idiotic to believe what you see on the football field and what I see is Revis AVOIDING tackling as much as possible.

Some were holding out hope that he was hiding an injury, thus avoiding contact.

If Manish's confidant is a real thing, which I believe it is, then it's confirmation that there is no injury.

As many have commented here, Revis may indeed be done, but any article that has "unnamed source"/"confidant" and "manish" in it is most likely made up and just as likely to be wrong. Can't see Manish getting anything right. Can't see Revis walking away from 6 million - if he retires he looses it; if he is released he doesn't.

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Macc, as the GM, should get some flak for this, but really, bringing Revis in was the right move. Macc's mistake was betting on Revis being productive for 3 seasons rather than 1 productive season we got from him last year. So he missed the mark on that. And who knew Revis would have such a massive drop off in play this year? I certainly can't claim that I did. Lest we forget that Revis played well the last year, when he was one short of a career high in INTs and had a career high in fumble recoveries- i.e. making plays.  

One of the biggest tasks for Macc when he came on as Jets GM was fixing the horrid secondary after Revis was traded and Milliner flopped. He went ahead and brought in Revis, who at the time was still considered one of the best CBs in the league and just came off a SB title with the Pats. It was a good move. And Macc structured Revis' deal so that after the 2017 season they could cut him with no cap hit. He had no notions that Revis could go on playing at a high level for a long time. He was hedging his bets on 3 seasons- and he only got one. That was a mistake, but who knew? It's not like people were saying, well, I don't know, you're taking a huge risk here. NO. This was as sure of a signing as you could get. There may have been concerns about injuries, but nobody expected this season's debacle. 

Agreed, we all anticipated him getting older and maybe not being the elite CB he was when he was 25 but no one could've expected him to just quit like this.  

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

If this team had even a shred of balls at all at the very least he would be benched and embarrassed.  You want to loaf around?  Then sit on the bench.

Exactly...There's not a Jet fan in the world that likes this guy.  They know they're cutting him next year, they know he's barely trying, they know they have youth to watch...and they know it'll make the fans very happy.

Just do it!

18 hours ago, Matt39 said:

If he's due that 6 mill next year I dont see him retiring...

Revis will retire after we cut him. Then he gets both his money and his retirement. He doesn't even have to officially announce a retirement; just decline any/all offers.

When the dust settles, after he's cut, it'll come to $39M for 2 seasons (the latter of which he tanked). Not 3 years at $16M per season or 5 years at $14M per season. It was 2 years at $19.5M per season

This is why a smart GM doesn't let fans dictate which free agents get signed to try to win a popularity contest with them. Wish we had one of those.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Revis will retire after we cut him. Then he gets both his money and his retirement. He doesn't even have to officially announce a retirement; just decline any/all offers.

When the dust settles, after he's cut, it'll come to $39M for 2 seasons (the latter of which he tanked). Not 3 years at $16M per season or 5 years at $14M per season. It was 2 years at $19.5M per season

This is why a smart GM doesn't let fans dictate which free agents get signed to try to win a popularity contest with them. Wish we had one of those.

You can't blame BIG MACC for this. I mean, how was he supposed to know that giving Revis a boatload of money to play for a terrible team would end up with him loafing and getting fat and milking injuries? What human being could possibly have seen that coming?

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If you think bringing Revis back was Macc's decision and not a PR move by Woody to make the fans somewhat forgive him for not signing him when Tampa cut him, you need to seek professional help.

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

When the dust settles, after he's cut, it'll come to $39M for 2 seasons (the latter of which he tanked). Not 3 years at $16M per season or 5 years at $14M per season. It was 2 years at $19.5M per season. 

how about an owner?

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well once upon a time Revis was a great tackler. Now he's Corbin Bernsen in Major League.

he really was, he was a complete corner.  Now it's shame to see what he has become.  it happened so fast it's really shocking.  I am hoping it's injury related and not just age/desire.

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Good signings = Maccagnan, bad signings = Woody. Gotcha.

In fairness, in this case, there's an argument to be made that this is on Woody.  Macc has made other bad signings though, so it's not like he's being let off the hook.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

In fairness, in this case, there's an argument to be made that this is on Woody.  Macc has made other bad signings though, so it's not like he's being let off the hook.

No doubt. But there's also an argument to be made that Woody had big interest and the GM should have said that, for a year-to-year contract fine but Revis has a history and will be expected to become a worse player with each passing year; that we wouldn't be signing 25 year-old hungry Revis but rather 30 year-old mega-rich Revis who already got his SB ring. Maccagnan has earned zero benefit of the doubt to place it all on someone else.

The most generous one could say is it's on both of them, and that's probably fair.

8 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Thank you! Throw in the fact that the Jets caved into Revis the two times he held out under Mr.T, the proof is pretty clear the decision was coming from the top.Macc has made some bad moves, but I firmly believe his hands were tied on Revis.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah so as long as he just waits to get cut he can just ride off into the sunset with that last 6 mill. Honestly it probably was the plan all along. He's playing not to get hurt right now and nothing else.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And when they have one, he gets run out of town. Why the Jets should move or get a new owner

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah so as long as he just waits to get cut he can just ride off into the sunset with that last 6 mill. Honestly it probably was the plan all along. He's playing not to get hurt right now and nothing else.

If I was in charge, I'd bench his ass the rest of the year. Then cut him.

Archived