5 Things we've learned going into 2017

Paradis

I don't know what's in worse shape, this team, or this message board. Maybe I"m glutton for punishment, but I'm going to try to have a conversation here about the state of affairs, and see how many posts it takes for this to decay into verbal strong-arming. 

1) Bowles' isn't strong enough to overcome Rex's residual locker room culture. Did you see the way LA's defense played Seattle on thurs? It's disgusting that Sheldon is behaving the way he is. That Revis thinks it's OK to mail it in. That any player would campaign against another. Fck this noise. The coach is by definition the Alpha male, and Todd is in over his head. Couple that with a lack gameplanning, competent use of the roster, and this whole thing is a bust. 

2) Our franchise QB is not on the roster. Not shocking news, but it needs to be said. Macc's employed in 2017 hangs on how this subject plays out. Petty is a back up, and Hackenburg is a flux capacitor. 1.21 gigawatts not included. 

3) We've drafted like complete idiots for too long. Idzik, Macc - all of em. Our roster is a wasteland of wasted picks. The best player we appear to have drafted in the last 6 years required zero intelligence to select. And even then there's the redundancy issue. The ONLY team who has less to show for more, is The Cleveland Browns. It's worse than most of you are willing to admit. We're worse in every category (sauf WR somehow) than we were when Macc got here. 

4) There's a handful of players that (whoever the fck is a charge of this team) needs to promote and be rewarded. Enunwa, Burris, Williams, Powell, Anderson etc... These guys need to have leadership roles moving forward. Not necessarily because they're the best, but because they continue to play hard and need to be recognized. 

5) Once we've all had a chance to purge this offseason, we may actually have a chance to rebuild the right way this time. Start 2017 off the way we should have in 2015. No more trying to compete and rebuild at the same time. Not in the manner Macc did by assembling Marshall's avengers and over paid secondary

Doc___bfc_flux_355x284.jpg

*on a personal note, if I could dream up a 180, it would consist of investing considerable cap into our Oline, so we can stabilize that to give young QBs a chance to win games. Draft the hell out of the skill positions as best we can, and take another QB to compete with the 2 car wrecks we presently have. Win or lose, we should be in a position to properly take a franchise guy in 2018 if that's the way it goes. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I don't know what's in worse shape, this team, or this message board. Maybe I"m glutton for punishment, but I'm going to try to have a conversation here about the state of affairs, and see how many posts it takes for this to decay into verbal strong-arming. 

1) Bowles' isn't strong enough to overcome Rex's residual locker room culture. Did you see the way LA's defense played Seattle on thurs? It's disgusting that Sheldon is behaving the way he is. That Revis thinks it's OK to mail it in. That any player would campaign against another. Fck this noise. The coach is by definition the Alpha male, and Todd is in over his head. Couple that with a lack gameplanning, competent use of the roster, and this whole thing is a bust. 

2) Our franchise QB is not on the roster. Not shocking news, but it needs to be said. Macc's employed in 2017 hangs on how this subject plays out. Petty is a back up, and Hackenburg is a flux capacitor. 1.21 gigawatts not included. 

3) We've drafted like complete idiots for too long. Idzik, Macc - all of em. Our roster is a wasteland of wasted picks. The best player we appear to have drafted in the last 6 years required zero intelligence to select. And even then there's the redundancy issue. The ONLY team who has less to show for more, is The Cleveland Browns. It's worse than most of you are willing to admit. We're worse in every category (sauf WR somehow) than we were when Macc got here. 

4) There's a handful of players that (whoever the fck is a charge of this team) needs to promote and be rewarded. Enunwa, Burris, Williams, Powell, Anderson etc... These guys need to have leadership roles moving forward. Not necessarily because they're the best, but because they continue to play hard and need to be recognized. 

5) Once we've all had a chance to purge this offseason, we may actually have a chance to rebuild the right way this time. Start 2017 off the way we should have in 2015. No more trying to compete and rebuild at the same time. Not in the manner Macc did by assembling Marshall's avengers and over paid secondary

*on a personal note, if I could dream up a 180, it would consist of investing considerable cap into our Oline, so we can stabilize that to give young QBs a chance to win games. Draft the hell out of the skill positions as best we can, and take another QB to compete with the 2 car wrecks we presently have. Win or lose, we should be in a position to properly take a franchise guy in 2018 if that's the way it goes. 

Agree with all except 2

petty has a better chance of not being the guy than being him 

hack is still an unknown just like petty he has a better chance to bust than succeed but there is nothing new that we have seen since he was drafted except of very little preseason action

Good post and nice attempt at a grown up discussion. Don't agree with all of it but hard to argue with much of what you say especially point 1.

i still don't know why we can't give the Hack pick at least some benefit of the doubt, we moaned enough about ruining young QB's by throwing them in too soon so maybe the sit and learn approach deserve some patience. As key as the QB position is it's the overall sloppiness and decline of the defence that is most troubling. 

4 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Did you feel that way before the season?

Of course. Nothing but long shots on this roster. Geno unluckiest man alive. Could become a reliable back up someplace. Was obvious front office did not want him to be the starter this year.   Fitz? Haha Fitz! Hackenburgh was a late round project at best.  Penn State getting better after he left does nothing to help me feel any better about him. Petty is a tough kid with a very good arm and I will root for him.   We can make believe he will learn the game good enough to be a starter but I honestly don't. Petty or Hack could but I can't help to think the chances of that happening are slim to none. I'm fat so it's non for me. 

Agree with all except 2
petty has a better chance of not being the guy than being him 
hack is still an unknown just like petty he has a better chance to bust than succeed but there is nothing new that we have seen since he was drafted except of very little preseason action

You lost me. Don't agree with #2? Your commentary below that remark kind of supports what I'm saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Of course. Nothing but long shots on this roster. Geno unluckiest man alive. Could become a reliable back up someplace. Was obvious front office did not want him to be the starter this year.   Fitz? Haha Fitz! Hackenburgh was a late round project at best.  Penn State getting better after he left does nothing to help me feel any better about him. Petty is a tough kid with a very good arm and I will root for him.   We can make believe he will learn the game good enough to be a starter but I honestly don't. Petty or Hack could but I can't help to think the chances of that happening are slim to none. I'm fat so it's non for me. 

Nothing has changed since he was picked

If you didn't like the hack pick then your gonna hate it now, I get it. 

If you liked the hack pick you feel the same way you did when he was picked 

if you weren't sure about the hack pick, you probably don't like it now 

me, I don't watch a a lot of college football, so I have no opinion except for what I read, I'm willing to see where this goes and like that the FO is sticking to there plan whether it was "red shirting" him this year or playing him, just stick to it 

Petty, I seen His last bowl game and liked watching him play but I also realize he was a 4th rounder for a reason and dont have much hope for him, please prove me wrong but odds are he isn't a corner stone type QB 

Only time will tell

7 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Nothing has changed since he was picked

If you didn't like the hack pick then your gonna hate it now, I get it. 

If you liked the hack pick you feel the same way you did when he was picked 

if you weren't sure about the hack pick, you probably don't like it now 

me, I don't watch a a lot of college football, so I have no opinion except for what I read, I'm willing to see where this goes and like that the FO is sticking to there plan whether it was "red shirting" him this year or playing him, just stick to it 

Petty, I seen His last bowl game and liked watching him play but I also realize he was a 4th rounder for a reason and dont have much hope for him, please prove me wrong but odds are he isn't a corner stone type QB 

Only time will tell

I'm in same place.. Time will tell. 

Basically you have a better chance of being right than wrong but we don't know that yet 

Look, crazier things have happened. Enunwa somehow went from being Captain alligator arms, to a play making wide receiver. The point is; moving forward we as a franchise cannot afford to make decisions that assume either quarterback is going to become a legitimate starter

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

okay with most of this.  petty has been improving since he's started.  can't say if will be the franchise guy but at least he's a guy who can get the job done if he gets some better pieces.  bowles may surprise once they clean out the sheldons.

Your first opinion is spot on. Bowles doesn't seem to have the energy to turn around a culture. Although he comes from a Parcells culture, he doesn't have the energy Parcells had; the demand. So the Rex culture hung around. We were blinded to it because they won 10 games last year and winning is the ultimate deodorant

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Look, crazier things have happened. Enunwa somehow went from being Captain alligator arms, to a play making wide receiver. The point is; moving forward we as a franchise cannot afford to make decisions that assume either quarterback is going to become a legitimate starter

Agreed, if there is a top prospect at QB on the board when we pick and the FO likes him we can not pass on him because of our current crop but I do not reach or force a pick because the two kids aren't developing as they had hoped 

I have not been this disinterested/despondent since 1995. Whether its the no show players, lack of clear management on the field, and or simply a culmination of poor performance since 2011.

I went to a Christmas party last night and let me give Thanks that I did not waste another hour watching a team seems helpless.

okay with most of this.  petty has been improving since he's started.  can't say if will be the franchise guy but at least he's a guy who can get the job done if he gets some better pieces.  bowles may surprise once they clean out the sheldons.

But he shouldn't have to. Sheldon's proving to be mental POS.. but every team has a couple sheldons. It's the coach's job to manage those personalities.

I think Petty could develop into a decent bandaids but I've seen enough to know he's always, always going to struggle with touch and accuracy

Archived