Let's talk trade down...

Beerfish

Each year I talk trade down for the Jets and they never do it.  (Which is the right thing to do, if a good player is there for you that you like that fits with your plan you take him and don't get cute.)

Normally teams trade up for a QB in the 1st round but this year that is probably not going to happen as the value is just not there.  However there are other players that should be around at 6 and quite a few teams who may want to deal for a non QB trade up.

I think that our pick position is not lining up with needs this year and some positions have a lot of depth so we can get more picks or even get an extra pick next year.

I made a quick list of some teams that might have legit reasons to trade up with us trading down.

Cincinnati (9) - The Bengals are a good team, a team that should be challenging for the big prize but they just had a bad year, patience has to be wearing thin with Lewis and that regime.  If they identify a guy that will make an impact next year they might feel it is worth it to trade up a few spots.

Cleveland (12) - The Browns are in full rebuild mode and they get their pick of the litter with the 1st overall pick.  If they pass on a QB at 1 they might want to move up to get one or visa versa if they take a Qb they may identify another 'game changer' that they want to get, they have a lot of picks for ammo.

Philadelphia (14) - The Eagles have their franchise QB but the Dallas method of impact QB, RB, WR is out there.  They may covet one of the RB's or Mike Williams  (The eagles WRs are just terribad) 

Indianapolis (15) - Another regime that will be feeling the heat if they do not make major strides this year.  They have had a franchise Qb for a few years now and have decent Wr's but need to do something to get an impact player.

Washington (17) - The Redskins are going to pony up for Cousins and their offense was legit last year, they need better defense and as a team probably thinks they are on the cusp of making a legit run.

Tennessee (18) - Another young franchise Qb with no WR's.  They have good pieces in most other places but might have an eye on a guy like Mike Williams.

Tampa Bay (19) - Another young franchise QB, they have the receiving weapons but Doug Martin has mega personal issues and gets hurt a lot.  They might have an eye on one of the two top RB's

Dallas (?) - This will all depend on how they do in the playoffs.  They have the offense that every one would want, QB, RB, WRs, Oline but the defense is a question.  If they fail this year they may conclude they need that one impact defender to go over the top.

Normally teams would not even be thinking of trading up for some of the position players such as WR and RBs but this is an imitation league and success changes opinions we might see some trade ups for non QB's this year.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Philadelphia (14) - The Eagles have their franchise QB but the Dallas method of impact QB, RB, WR is out there.  They may covet one of the RB's or Mike Williams  (The eagles WRs are just terribad) 

Because the draft is deep at RB, and they need WR (as you point out), I don't see them moving. There are several 1st round WRs projected around this pick. RB later in draft. They do need both badly though. Their defense is solid, but inconsistency at RB hurt them as much as the WR situation last year, in some games.

If they were to trade up for a top-2 RB, we'd be a good fit, but based on how this draft seems to be stocked - I doubt it.

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Indianapolis (15) - Another regime that will be feeling the heat if they do not make major strides this year.  They have had a franchise Qb for a few years now and have decent Wr's but need to do something to get an impact player.

This is the only other team in this draft, in the range you're looking, that might make a move up for a RB. Grigson is such a bad GM, because of that, I could see it happening... but probably not.

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Normally teams trade up for a QB in the 1st round but this year that is probably not going to happen as the value is just not there.

I would disagree with this. QB is so highly coveted that if 3 QBs separate themselves (Kizer, Watson, Trubinsky), I could easily see at least 2 of them going in the top 5 and a team desperate for a QB trading up to get the 3rd.

Having said that, the most likely scenario would be the Browns moving up for a QB after taking Garrett #1 overall. They need a QB desperately, they will most likely have a shot at one of the top 3 at 6 and they have the ammo.

The other scenario that I think is very much possible is ANY team that is interested moving up for Fournette. He is an elite talent that does not come around very often and b/c of his ankle injury and the fact that he is a RB will most likely slip out of the top 5. But if you are a team that's 'on the cusp', has a Franchise QB, a solid defense and needs that elite RB talent, I could very well see you roll the dice on one of the premiere RB talent like Fournette. Cincy could very well be that team, as they would not have to move up much. Indy would be another possibility as @Integrity28 mentioned. But for Indy it would cost a lot, and they have other holes to fill.   

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Because the draft is deep at RB, and they need WR (as you point out), I don't see them moving. There are several 1st round WRs projected around this pick. RB later in draft. They do need both badly though. Their defense is solid, but inconsistency at RB hurt them as much as the WR situation last year, in some games.

If they were to trade up for a top-2 RB, we'd be a good fit, but based on how this draft seems to be stocked - I doubt it.

Philly has no assets either after last years trade up.  Unless we are talking 2019 draft picks.

19 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Not lining up with needs? The jets have needs at every position outside of DL

I am making a few assumptions.

RBs' two good ones there, but our front office has shown zero inclination to make that position a priority.

We just took a ILB last year that was viewed as a hybrid player. ILB again would be iffy.

We have a few developmental WRs.

No olimeman or QB is lining up to the #6 pick.

CB's are very deep this year.

As I said if there is a guy there they love then you take him but the fact that we have needs every where means we can perhaps help the team more by getting more picks and filling more holes this year, if the guys at 6 though good players do not fit.

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Well past fails also have a way of influencing teams as well.  The Eagles waited around for their 20th pick in 2015 and took agholor when Cooper was near the top of the draft board.  The big question is how much better is Mike Williams than the field and how much better are the top two RBs than the field.

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This is the only other team in this draft, in the range you're looking, that might make a move up for a RB. Grigson is such a bad GM, because of that, I could see it happening... but probably not.

Well probably not because of their past fail with Richardson more than anything.  With Philly I was thinking more of Mike Williams

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Actually they do have assets, at least enough to trade up with us.

They have a 1,2,3,4,4,5,6,7

Do they have their 2018 1st rounder thou?  Because I'm not moving down the 8 spots for a 2nd rounder this year if a premium guy like Fournette is still there, and is coveted (I don't like Fournette just saying if he is considered to be a AP type of back by other teams and he slipped to us, I'm going to make you pay a high price to get him) as an AP talent.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I am making a few assumptions.

RBs' two good ones there, but our front office has shown zero inclination to make that position a priority.

We just took a ILB last year that was viewed as a hybrid player. ILB again would be iffy.

We have a few developmental WRs.

No olimeman or QB is lining up to the #6 pick.

CB's are very deep this year.

As I said if there is a guy there they love then you take him but the fact that we have needs every where means we can perhaps help the team more by getting more picks and filling more holes this year, if the guys at 6 though good players do not fit.

Agreed if the plan is to draft OT (arguably biggest need) then trading down is the ideal. I can see carolina wanting to move up for fournette, I'd also think about using sheldon as a chip to try and trade back up into the first (maybe sheldon + picks) to leapfrog cleveland/SF if one of the top QB's falls like bridgewater did

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Each year I talk trade down for the Jets and they never do it.  (Which is the right thing to do, if a good player is there for you that you like that fits with your plan you take him and don't get cute.)

Normally teams trade up for a QB in the 1st round but this year that is probably not going to happen as the value is just not there.  However there are other players that should be around at 6 and quite a few teams who may want to deal for a non QB trade up.

I think that our pick position is not lining up with needs this year and some positions have a lot of depth so we can get more picks or even get an extra pick next year.

I made a quick list of some teams that might have legit reasons to trade up with us trading down.

Cincinnati (9) - The Bengals are a good team, a team that should be challenging for the big prize but they just had a bad year, patience has to be wearing thin with Lewis and that regime.  If they identify a guy that will make an impact next year they might feel it is worth it to trade up a few spots.

Cleveland (12) - The Browns are in full rebuild mode and they get their pick of the litter with the 1st overall pick.  If they pass on a QB at 1 they might want to move up to get one or visa versa if they take a Qb they may identify another 'game changer' that they want to get, they have a lot of picks for ammo.

Washington (17) - The Redskins are going to pony up for Cousins and their offense was legit last year, they need better defense and as a team probably thinks they are on the cusp of making a legit run.

Tennessee (18) - Another young franchise Qb with no WR's.  They have good pieces in most other places but might have an eye on a guy like Mike Williams.

Tampa Bay (19) - Another young franchise QB, they have the receiving weapons but Doug Martin has mega personal issues and gets hurt a lot.  They might have an eye on one of the two top RB's

Dallas (?) - This will all depend on how they do in the playoffs.  They have the offense that every one would want, QB, RB, WRs, Oline but the defense is a question.  If they fail this year they may conclude they need that one impact defender to go over the top.

Normally teams would not even be thinking of trading up for some of the position players such as WR and RBs but this is an imitation league and success changes opinions we might see some trade ups for non QB's this year.

They draft #5, could take him on their own.  As you know, I've been advocating taking Mike Williams on this board for almost 2 months. If he is there at 6, he's ours. But to your post, let's say Titans take Williams at 5, and we are on the clock. If Cleveland doesn't take a QB with #1, and one is still there that they like, we offer to swap #6 for #12, plus their first pick in rd 2, #33. That would give us 12, 33 and 39, and could really help to fill some needs. I looked at draft value chart.....pick # 6 is 1600 pts, #12 is 1200, and #33 is 580, so it's a bit more, but if they really want a guy, they probably do it.The Browns also have pick #52 in 2nd rd, so they might offer that instead. The value of that pick is 380, almost perfect match in value. 

Imagine if the pick that Cleveland traded up for ended up being a franchise QB.  Any other position being traded up for would probably okay.  Just out of curiosity what is the cost for the teams in the teens to make the jump to 6?  Would it be a 1st, 2nd and 4th?  Perhaps a multi-trade back via Cincinnati?

I was listening to Matt Miller from BR say that teams were concerned with surgeries for Jonathan Allen, which opens up the possibility he could slide like Leonard Williams.  I'm wondering if some team tries to trade up for him from the teens.  I think the Colts could be a big player for Allen if he drops to us because they really need to fix the run defense there.  I think the Colts and the Browns are the targets (especially if they want to jump ahead of the Bills for a QB (assuming they take Garret first).  

If someone's trades up with the Jets to grab a QB, that QB will become a franchise QB, and Hack will turn out to be a major bust. Our QB will be sitting at the #1 spot for us next year so we can redeem ourselves. 

Archived