GM Mike Maccagnan speaking to media shortly -- his annual session before NFL meetings (next week).

C Mart

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, thadude said:

If Mac wants to save his job draft OJ Howard at six and Deshone Kizer in round 2.

not only will we be competing next year we might even get a wildcard while having an effective offense

Drafting a TE at #6 overall should get him fired 1 minute later. That is, unless the goal is to draft all the cheapest positions in round 1 and sign the expensive position players through free agency. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Drafting a TE at #6 overall should get him fired 1 minute later. That is, unless the goal is to draft all the cheapest positions in round 1 and sign the expensive position players through free agency. 

Heh heh Beavis, this guy's name is Sperm heh heh heh

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

completely disagree.  This isn't the 1980's or 1990's.  TE is now a critical position.  Mac should be drafting the biggest difference makers he can find at our key positions of need. 

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

completely disagree.  This isn't the 1980's or 1990's.  TE is now a critical position.  Mac should be drafting the biggest difference makers he can find at our key positions of need. 

Has there ever been a faster TE coming into the game than Howard? This guy is going to shatter records given he's hooked up with the right QB. Reminds me ov a cross between a Winslow and Sharpe.  I'd take him over Fournette. Kid can do it all. Imagine the wr corp we could have. Enuwa, Howard, Decker, Robbie and could just build on that. 

1 minute ago, Powpow said:

Has there ever been a faster TE coming into the game than Howard? This guy is going to shatter records given he's hooked up with the right QB. Reminds me ov a cross between a Winslow and Sharpe.  I'd take him over Fournette. Kid can do it all. Imagine the wr corp we could have. Enuwa, Howard, Decker, Robbie and could just build on that. 

GB has a guy named Ty Montgomery that was a WR turned into a RB last season they had a lot of success with him used him in both roles. 

14 minutes ago, Powpow said:

I am leaning this way as well.

10 hours ago, thadude said:

Most teams would have cut Hackenberg already based on what he looked like in practice and TC

Really?  How has he looked? 

No team would cut a 2nd round draft pick in his first camp.  Keep telling yourself this

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really?  How has he looked? 

No team would cut a 2nd round draft pick in his first camp.  Keep telling yourself this

31 other teams wouldnt have picked him in the 2nd round see the pattern here the Jets also signed Fitzpatrick when 31 other NFL teams said NO. 

In Macc we trust. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

31 other teams wouldnt have picked him in the 2nd round see the pattern here the Jets also signed Fitzpatrick when 31 other NFL teams said NO. 

In Macc we trust. 

And you know this how?

Also the obsession with Fitzpatrick is getting a lil scary......laces out Dan!

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And what if that TE goes on to have a HOF career?  I can just hear it know "jets should have picked Howard..such idiots"  

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

In Macc we trust. 

Just stop. You don't know sh*t. 

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

In Macc we trust. 

Didn't a team just trade up into the 2nd or 3rd round to draft a kicker. I'm sure there have been more egregious things happen in the draft worst than taking hcakenburg 

50 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Didn't a team just trade up into the 2nd or 3rd round to draft a kicker. I'm sure there have been more egregious things happen in the draft worst than taking hcakenburg 

Talking about Aguayo?  Dude is a stiff

12 hours ago, Dcat said:

That must be why there are so many $15-20m TEs in the league. 

Your personal beliefs aside, teams pay more based on a player's value relative to other positions, and TE is in the the lowest-tier of paid positions, along with RT, ILB, RB, G/C, and usually S.

If teams felt it was so integral and so difficult to fill, TEs would routinely be drafted inside the top 5 and making top dollar. Neither happens routinely, or even at all. 

It is not a critical position worthy of a #6 overall pick. NE just lost their great TE and won another SB without him. They narrowly beat Atlanta, who also has the position filled by forgettable names. Giants lost Shockey and won the SB without him. Denver lost Julius Thomas and then won their SB without him. Seattle won the SB with Zach Miller, who was a huge FA bust for them. Endless examples of the same.

Teams winning a SB with a beast of a TE are the exception not the rule. That is why it's a cheap position.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm no draft/prospect junkie. There are positions of poor value, and positions a team can't be without. Maccagnan seems to be loading upon the former and is too lax in filling the latter.

If they don't go howard I'd like to see either Mike Williams or pass rusher like Taco who has shot up the draft boards

7 hours ago, C Mart said:

And what if that TE goes on to have a HOF career?  I can just hear it know "jets should have picked Howard..such idiots"  

Whatever. I heard that crap over and over in 2013, when taking a guard in the top 10 was said to be a no-trainer because there were two of them that were so great they were both going to be LOCK 1st ballot HOFers. Both are busts, like Milliner, except without his injury excuse.

You take a player at higher value because, in the even the player isn't incredible, it's still a good value pick. For example, say we drafted a QB and he is around the 15th-best QB in the league. You can win a SB with that (so long as he doesn't go cold in the playoffs), and he will be an asset to the team -- particularly for a team in search of a good one for over a decade. He'll still be a player that would command some $20m or more as a FA today

If you draft the 15th-best TE? That's a waste of a pick who won't even be worth the money for the 5th year team option.

33 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Whatever. I heard that crap over and over in 2013, when taking a guard in the top 10 was said to be a no-trainer because there were two of them that were so great they were both going to be LOCK 1st ballot HOFers. Both are busts, like Milliner, except without his injury excuse.

You take a player at higher value because, in the even the player isn't incredible, it's still a good value pick. For example, say we drafted a QB and he is around the 15th-best QB in the league. You can win a SB with that (so long as he doesn't go cold in the playoffs), and he will be an asset to the team -- particularly for a team in search of a good one for over a decade. He'll still be a player that would command some $20m or more as a FA today

If you draft the 15th-best TE? That's a waste of a pick who won't even be worth the money for the 5th year team option.

Agree with this

1 hour ago, thadude said:

If they don't go howard I'd like to see either Mike Williams or pass rusher like Taco who has shot up the draft boards

LOL...jus have to say...last time we took a DE at 6 who 'shot up the boards' it didn't work out too well.  Charlton may be the real deal...who knows?

And we really need an edge rusher, not another 3-4 DE.  Hell, if we'd let Sheldon play DE rather than OLB he'd be happier AND do the the job.

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

LOL...jus have to say...last time we took a DE at 6 who 'shot up the boards' it didn't work out too well.  Charlton may be the real deal...who knows?

And we really need an edge rusher, not another 3-4 DE.  Hell, if we'd let Sheldon play DE rather than OLB he'd be happier AND do the the job.

We played 4 man fronts most of the time last year.  Not that I expect Bowles to even be back after next season but to say we can't draft a stud pass rusher because of the 3-4 is clueless on your part

And when are we allowed to draft a pass rusher again?  Tell me?  How long does Vern Gholston preclude us from trying to improve the most important position on d

22 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

In Macc we trust. 

And 31 GMs didn't pick Brady.

6 times.  

So stop acting like you knew better than anyone.  Especially since he still could turn out to be good.  

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Seriously, where Hackenberg was picked is the one decision that I am baffled by Macc's thinking. I have no idea what he was thinking. On other moves he has made, I at least see the train of thought. Here I don't at all

the theory is that he thought that Houston HC, O'brien (former Penn St HC), would grab hack before the Jets in round 3.  But that really doesn't make sense since the Texans picked up Osweiler well before the draft.  I don't buy it.

Archived