GM Mike Maccagnan speaking to media shortly -- his annual session before NFL meetings (next week).

C Mart

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I haven't

I haven't either.  He will be much, much better in 2017.

Its pretty simple-he is cuttable in 2018.

Through all of this the smart guy was Harris.  He has played well enough through his unguaranteed contracts to avoid being cut.  That is the smart way to do it.  

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think you'd agree we don't want a repeat of 2013. Perhaps inadvertently, but that's what this course of action would outline:

• Say the Jets keep Maccagnan for next year no matter what
  • Then after this season fire Bowles and he gets to hire "his own" HC in 2018
  • Then "if there is not significant improvement, he is kaput" (your words)

Where does that leave the team as far as the just-hired HC?

• Fire Maccagnan's HC after 1 season before seeking new GM candidates;
  • Force the new GM to fire a HC he doesn't know yet (as his first act as GM);
  • Force-feed a 1-yr incumbent HC (who was "victimized" by the just-fired GM's mgmt) onto new GM candidates?

None of these are good options. The only good option, under the assumption Bowles is to be fired and things don't substantially improve roster-wise in 2017, is to fire them both at the same time (not just one of them). Then you allow a new GM to pick his own HC, which should lead to interest from better GM candidates in the first place.

Allowing Maccagnan to hire his own HC in 2018 indirectly gives Maccagnan a 3 (no less than 2) year extension, to simultaneously prevent this force-feeding his HC onto his successor and/or looking too knee-jerk with a HC after only 1 season using a fired-GM's roster. Except the problem is the GM's done basically nothing - as we stand today - to show he's earned an extension through a 6th season, while there are no shortage of reasons showing why he is undeserving of a 4th. 

Ok fire him now then!

But if the kids cant beat the old man, that says a lot about the kids

You need game experience to progress as an NFL QB...and until we stop trotting out washed up no future with us guys as a starter the young guys will never have even a chance to show progress.

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

You need game experience to progress as an NFL QB...and until we stop trotting out washed up no future with us guys as a starter the young guys will never have even a chance to show progress.

Thank you...

People don't realize the circular reasoning they employ for the other position.  If you don't get a player who is essentially dead then a younger inexperienced player may rarely if ever be head and shoulders better than the vet.  

The key is to identify players who, with playing experience, shine in actual game situations  and not stifle them behind poor relics whose only claim to fame is that they have some experience, often of which is mostly bad experience.

On 3/24/2017 at 3:21 PM, dbatesman said:

Or maybe--bear with me here--you could draft someone and cut one of the two guys on the roster who clearly have no shot of ever succeeding as an NFL starter, you dumb****.

Because, here's a thought, he might want to try and trade one?

23 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm putting words in who's mouth?

All I'm doing is reading between the lines of - Mac and Bowles comments to the media - the contract they gave McCown - and the lack of confidence in Hack and Petty - familiarity with the offense/leader etc.

Seems pretty obvious to me what's going on here.  You may disagree, we shall see.  From my perspective all signs point to Josh McCown is your starter. 

Or you could read through the lines with an open mind.  He was signed and the favorite because of familiarity with the system, smarts and leadership abilities.

inother words the perfect mentor.  Nah, doesn't fit the argument, let's not even think it could be what he's thinking 

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I literally LOLed at this

For some unknown reason.

People here wanted to trade Geno.  Most wrote how teams weren't interested in Geno, were interested in Petty.

Now we shouldn't even try to trade players.  We should laugh at the thought.  Then call out the GM.  

Can't make it up. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

For some unknown reason.

People here wanted to trade Geno.  Most wrote how teams weren't interested in Geno, were interested in Petty.

Now we shouldn't even try to trade players.  We should laugh at the thought.  Then call out the GM.  

Can't make it up. 

Some unknown reason???  geno BLOWS!!!  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What does that have to do with teams were willing to talk trade over Petty before and might still be willing?  Any pick is a pick

"For some unknown reason.

People here wanted to trade Geno." ...   I was just responding to this statement you made. 

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

For some unknown reason.

Can't make it up. 

Yes, we should absolutely laugh at the thought of trading Petty or Hackenberg.

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

For some unknown reason.

Can't make it up. 

Joey: Hey, you remember that cooze at the club that I said was hot?

Paulie: The one that I said had a penis?

Joey: Right. That one. How'd you know?

Paulie: Cursory observation and nominal inquiry.

Joey: Right. So. Here's the thing. You want to trade for her? She ended up having a penis! I'll take, like, that little tv you have in your spare bedroom. That's it.

Paulie: ...

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Yes, we should absolutely laugh at the thought of trading Petty or Hackenberg.

I'm torn, because on the one hand anything really can happen and the Jets can give up a 4th rounder for Tim Tebow. On the other, the only team that really ever seems to do that sh*t is us.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm torn, because on the one hand anything really can happen and the Jets can give up a 4th rounder for Tim Tebow. On the other, the only team that really ever seems to do that sh*t is us.

Wait the Jets gave the Mets a 4th rounder for Tebow.

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

"Coach Bowles, the team has 3 wins and has been out of the playoffs for 4 weeks now, Bryce Petty is injured.  Why are you not giving an opportunity to Christian Hackenburg to start?"

"We feel that Josh gives us the best chance to win,"

This is very likely. I predict a hole in my wall as a result

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sometimes when I'm bored I imagine a universe where the Jets could trade with themselves. I always end up laughing or weeping or both.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Don't forget, the man who traded for Tebow resides in Miami so there is always a chance.

7 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you...

People don't realize the circular reasoning they employ for the other position.  If you don't get a player who is essentially dead then a younger inexperienced player may rarely if ever be head and shoulders better than the vet.  

The key is to identify players who, with playing experience, shine in actual game situations  and not stifle them behind poor relics whose only claim to fame is that they have some experience, often of which is mostly bad experience.

Exactly.

It wouldn't surprise me if McCown outshines say the young guys in TC and pre-season say stat wise...hell, he probably has 75 NFL starts over the years.

You have to look somewhat at potential and progression at some point and not just stats, and try to envision what the young guy will look like AFTER he has significant NFL starts under his belt.

McCown offers the NYJ nothing past this year at age 38...IMO, the only way he sees the field would be out of plain necessity (injury, or say, total failure of the young guys).

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

Exactly.

It wouldn't surprise me if McCown outshines say the young guys in TC and pre-season say stat wise...hell, he probably has 75 NFL starts over the years.

You have to look somewhat at potential and progression at some point and not just stats, and try to envision what the young guy will look like AFTER he has significant NFL starts under his belt.

McCown offers the NYJ nothing past this year at age 38...IMO, the only way he sees the field would be out of plain necessity (injury, or say, total failure of the young guys).

Barring us drafting another Qb McCown will be starting week 1

Archived