Hooker Among Jets Pre-Draft Visits

JetNation

malik-hooker.jpeg

By Glenn Naughton

Take a look around the web at the plethora of mock drafts available and you’ll see the Jets frequently linked to an immensely talented player who seems to be diving onlookers in their assessment of what he’ll bring to the table at the pro level.

Malik Hooker is one of the more polarizing players in this years draft among Jets fans who are concerned over his being a “one year wonder” having played only one full season at Ohio State, coupled with the fact that he recently had surgery to repair a torn labrum and a hernia, a pair of injuries that he played through last season.

As far as the Gang Green faithful are concerned, the fact that their top pick could be defense once again isn’t all that intriguing.

However, there are plenty of onlookers who still view the Ohio State product as the top choice for Gang Green with the sixth overall pick despite the injuries.   Why so many are willing to look the other way regarding Hooker’s durability?  Simple…his on-field play has already been compared to one future Hall-of-Famer who the Jets missed out on years ago in Ed Reed, and those comparisons have been validated by somebody who would know as well as anyone.

Current Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano was also on the same Miami Hurricanes staff that developed Reed, whom the Jets passed up on in favor of linebacker Bryan Thomas in the 2002 NFL draft, says that what makes Hooker a top prospect, his range, is comparable to Reed in an interview with Fox sports.

“Range is the biggest comparison,” Schiano told FOX Sports Monday. “And when he has the ball in his hands. Remember when Ed got the ball? Whoo. If he didn’t score, you were disappointed. Same thing with this kid.”

Hooker’s range was evident and on full display in 2016.  In his 13 games this season, Hooker had an eye-popping 7 interceptions, three of which he took back the other way for touchdowns.

While Hooker may be the most dynamic defensive back in this year’s class, he does have the aforementioned injury concerns and is far from the perfect player on the field.  When he’s not patrolling center field and making life miserable for quarterbacks, Hooker isn’t exactly stellar against the run.

He’s often accused of arm-tackling and an unwillingness to “stick his face in the fan”, but just how much of that can be attributed to the injuries he was playing with is unknown.

Even if he’s not a top-flight tackler, Hooker has the type of talent that the Jets may not want to pass up on.  They did it with Reed.  Will history repeat itself this time around?

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
B_lAr0nd-bI

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can this cat even workout yet  ?

Candidate : Worthy of pick 6 in 1st round

He put up #s for 1 year at a non premium position

He finished that same year injured needing surgery

He can't train

He hasn't done any football activities since the college season ended

Not a candidate : Not worthy of pick 6 in the 1st round

He Put up #s for 1 year at a premium position

He finished the year balling out in a bowl game

He's showed out at the combine and his pro day

He's done just about every activity required by teams since the college season ended and has impressed .

This is why the draft is called a crap shoot .

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

He can't train

He's done just about every activity required by teams since the college season ended and has impressed .

Where does "draws favorable comparisons to one of the greatest players in the history of the game" put him?

35 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

In a pool where maybe a handful came even close to the hype and hundreds have busted. 

Which can be said for every player in the draft.  What can't be said is that any of them cover as much ground as Hooker does in the secondary.  I'm not even sure I'm 100% on board with taking him, but there's no denying that the things he did at Ohio State were unbelievable.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Which can be said for every player in the draft.  What can't be said is that any of them cover as much ground as Hooker does in the secondary.  I'm not even sure I'm 100% on board with taking him, but there's no denying that the things he did at Ohio State were unbelievable.

What I'm very willing to deny is that he's not Ed Reed or Sean Taylor. He's got a minimal track record, even if what he showed was good stuff. 

Just now, SenorGato said:

What I'm very willing to deny is that he's not Ed Reed or Sean Taylor. He's got a minimal track record, even if what he showed was good stuff. 

Never heard anyone compare him to Taylor, but the guy who coached both of them said the comparisons are fair.  I'd lean toward his opinion before anybody else's.

I feel like when people compare this one year wonder who cant tackle to Ed Reed, those people actually never saw Ed Reed play college Football.  Similar to the NFL, Reed was legit one of the best players I've ever seen in college.  The sh*t that kid did was incredible.  He did it all...the picks/pick six's, the sacks, laying wood, the tips, the strips, the punt returns...these 2 players are not in the the same universe when it comes to play making and it's insulting to the player who should have been a Jet to even dare compare. 

Just a reminder of how amazing Ed Reed was....

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

I feel like when people compare this one year wonder who cant tackle to Ed Reed, those people actually never saw Ed Reed play college Football.  Similar to the NFL, Reed was legit one of the best players I've ever seen in college.  The sh*t that kid did was incredible.  He did it all...the picks/pick six's, the sacks, laying wood, the tips, the strips, the punt returns...these 2 players are not in the the same universe when it comes to play making and it's insulting to the player who should have been a Jet to even dare compare. 

the New York Jets picked Bryan Thomas like 2 slots before Reed...even though Safety just happened to be a big need for them. 

The New York Jets....

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

The can't tackle talking point is BS- have you seen him play?

10 minutes ago, cant wait said:

The can't tackle talking point is BS- have you seen him play?

Yes, I have.  And he takes terrible angles and doesnt tackle well and really doesnt want to play the run at all.  He was attributed for 17 missed tackles this season. He was ranked 136th in tackling efficiency this season. He's not a fully developed player and could use another season in college to learn how to tackle.

The other problem is other than his injuries, he doesnt really like Football and his mommy convinced him not to quit.

I heard a comparison to Reggie Nelson...and I think that's spot on.  Ed Reed?  That's straight stupidity from morons.

Reggie was very similar coming out.  Raw, rangy center fielder type who had 1 year of experience.  He couldnt really do anything other than play the ball, although I would say he was a much more willing tackler who could lay the wood occasionally.  Still, he wasnt a fully developed player coming out.  He actually had a nice rookie season but then disappeared for the rest of his career with the Jags only to finally put it all together on his next team the Bengals. 

You're probably getting something similar in Hooker.

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

He has good range, so he's Ed Reed . The fact that Ed Reed diagnosed plays while the QB was calling them means nothing . The fact that he played FS like a SS means nothing . Fans should seriously stop repeating what the talking heads say as if it were facts. Those jokers have to fill a segment for 4 months and have to say something that's going to keep folks interested .

Hooker takes questionable angles, misses tons of tackles and is recovering from multiple surgeries after his breakout year  at a non premium position .

Is there any cause for concern making this pick in the top 10 ? Yes . What would ease those concerns for me ? The position he plays and it's importance to the long term success of my team .

I pass .

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes, I have.  And he takes terrible angles and doesnt tackle well and really doesnt want to play the run at all.  He was attributed for 17 missed tackles this season. He was ranked 136th in tackling efficiency this season. He's not a fully developed player and could use another season in college to learn how to tackle.

The other problem is other than his injuries, he doesnt really like Football and his mommy convinced him not to quit.

LOL okay so basically you have nothing except hysterical nonsense. You have about one sentence in there that's reasonable

7 minutes ago, cant wait said:

LOL okay so basically you have nothing except hysterical nonsense. You have about one sentence in there that's reasonable

LOL okay so basically you have nothing except hysterical nonsense.  You havent said a thing to alleviate the concerns I've made from my own observations of his play and recorded stats by professionals and what scouts have to say about his inability to tackle.

So next time just respond with, "not ahh", and we'll go about our merry ways.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

LOL okay so basically you have nothing except hysterical nonsense.  You havent said a thing to alleviate the concerns I've made from my own observations of his play and recorded stats by professionals and what scouts have to say about his inability to tackle.

So next time just respond with, "not ahh", and we'll go about our merry ways.

keep telling me how player's mommys make them play football and I'll keep calling you a hysterical fool

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Are you claiming this didn't happen?  

At least you've conceded he can't tackle. 

you're taking a nothing fluff story and using it as an excuse to bash the kid. not worth discussing substance with you since it's clear you've got an agenda to push- pathetic. have a nice day 

4 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

The kid's coach (who also coached Ed Reed in college) or Jif? 

I gotta say, although it's close... i gotta go Jif. 53K posts can't be wrong. 

Jif wanted to quit the board but his mommy made him stay

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

He can't train

i'm not dissing hooker at all but i have to laugh when the talking heads start comparing a player to past greats.  what these guys seem to be saying is that they should take hooker to make amends for taking thomas instead of reed .  this makes no sense.  reed was the 24th pick in his draft and probably still about where the draft positions of really good safties lies.  imo 6 is too high for a safety.  he does make a lot of sense if they trade down a bit.

16 minutes ago, cant wait said:

you're taking a nothing fluff story and using it as an excuse to bash the kid. not worth discussing substance with you since it's clear you've got an agenda to push- pathetic. have a nice day 

Hahahahahahaha - I didnt realize you knew Malik personally to know that everyone was lying when they said he almost quit 7 times but his mother convinced him to stay.  Malik lied, his Mom lied and Urban Myer lied all for the sake of a "fluff story".  lmfao

I'm such a hysterical foolish fool for believing all these liars for the sake of a fluff story.

The Buckeyes head coach was tipping his hat to Hooker’s mother, Angela Dennis. In fact, he made Angela  available to the media after the game. A parent at a post-game presser is not something you see very often but Angela had more to offer her son than just a mother’s love.

"He tried to quit about seven times," Meyer said of Hooker's freshman year. "And I credit his mother with not allowing him to quit because obviously, it would have been a bad ending."

Angela explained her side of the story that day to the media.

“I told him he couldn't come home if he left," Angela said  "So he had nowhere else to go."

17 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

The kid's coach (who also coached Ed Reed in college) or Jif? 

I gotta say, although it's close... i gotta go Jif. 53K posts can't be wrong. 

Coaches never say things to hype up their players when they're headed for the NFL.  NEVER!!!!

Dabo Sweeny didnt call DeShaun Watson, Michael Jordan.  These things never happen.  Coaches dont do that.

We should take everything coaches say at face value and never discuss it or question it.  It makes for a great message board debate.   

Hey, he said this about that guy so it must be true. ....next story!

Archived