Hooker Among Jets Pre-Draft Visits

JetNation

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JiF said:

Hahahahahahaha - I didnt realize you knew Malik personally to know that everyone was lying when they said he almost quit 7 times but his mother convinced him to stay.  Malik lied, his Mom lied and Urban Myer lied all for the sake of a "fluff story".  lmfao

I'm such a hysterical foolish fool for believing all these liars for the sake of a fluff story.

The Buckeyes head coach was tipping his hat to Hooker’s mother, Angela Dennis. In fact, he made Angela  available to the media after the game. A parent at a post-game presser is not something you see very often but Angela had more to offer her son than just a mother’s love.

"He tried to quit about seven times," Meyer said of Hooker's freshman year. "And I credit his mother with not allowing him to quit because obviously, it would have been a bad ending."

Angela explained her side of the story that day to the media.

“I told him he couldn't come home if he left," Angela said  "So he had nowhere else to go."

You gotta love this game to be great at it.

This could be material information about him, particularly when dealing with the injuries.  

I am praying for Adams.  

Man I dont know what they Jets will do at safety but they better do something

Last night I watched the Film Room on Hooker and really didnt know what the Jets were doing with their safeties.  I just assumed Gilchrist was handling almost all the FS and Pryor\Miles were predominately doing the SS mostly because just watching on TV you cannot really tell....Lets go to the tape...

so I used the coaches film to watch a few games last night and I was surprised how much the jets were swapping their safeties...I didn't watch every game mind you but it did seem to me in games they were swapping almost 50% of the time.  I guess because they want to take advantage of Gilchrist man cover skills but anyhow what I noticed is that they are pretty bad as a unit.

Gilchrist never went after the ball carrier directly when they got into 2nd level and he was FS even when he was in position to do so he would let others make tackles meanwhile the other team gain 5-10 yards because of lack of effort.  He always seemed out of position and it seemed to me he wasn't even looking at the QB.  He was basically useless as FS.  He did ok when asked to cover man.

Pryor - I was actually surprised he did better than I thought when asked to play center field.  Unlike Gilchrist he would not hesitate to tackle asap however he was never in any position to break up passes.  Pryor seemed to get into trouble more when asked to cover man to man.  I also notice from very early in season Miles was taking a lot of his snaps and as soon as Pryor came in other teams would target if he was in SS man.  Never been a fan of Pryor but I do think he has his uses.  He is definately not worth 1st round and we got hosed (fans) but he can serve in rotation if you can limit his man cover responsibilities somehow.

Miles - I like, he too does not shy away from tackle and will limit YAC in that FS role but he never sniffed the ball as a FS so we have no true FS.  I think he does a better job in man than Pryor but not by much.  He plays the run very well whether he FS or SS he will come charging which I like.  I dont know what his ceiling is as he seems to get better every year so we see.

As a unit though they suck because they are always asking guys to play out of their comfort zone.  I think the Jets would be much better served if they could find a true FS center fielder and play him there 100%...Let Miles and Pryor battle it out for a SS role and then bring in your Nickel or Dime for that Man coverage but who knows.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

You gotta love this game to be great at it.

This could be material information about him, particularly when dealing with the injuries.  

I am praying for Adams.  

Agreed.  When you start to factor all these things together - 1 year wonder, raw, questionable tackling, injuries, love for the game - he's an incredible risk at #6. 

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Man I dont know what they Jets will do at safety but they better do something

Last night I watched the Film Room on Hooker and really didnt know what the Jets were doing with their safeties.  I just assumed Gilchrist was handling almost all the FS and Pryor\Miles were predominately doing the SS mostly because just watching on TV you cannot really tell....Lets go to the tape...

so I used the coaches film to watch a few games last night and I was surprised how much the jets were swapping their safeties...I didn't watch every game mind you but it did seem to me in games they were swapping almost 50% of the time.  I guess because they want to take advantage of Gilchrist man cover skills but anyhow what I noticed is that they are pretty bad as a unit.

Gilchrist never went after the ball carrier directly when they got into 2nd level and he was FS even when he was in position to do so he would let others make tackles meanwhile the other team gain 5-10 yards because of lack of effort.  He always seemed out of position and it seemed to me he wasn't even looking at the QB.  He was basically useless as FS.  He did ok when asked to cover man.

Pryor - I was actually surprised he did better than I thought when asked to play center field.  Unlike Gilchrist he would not hesitate to tackle asap however he was never in any position to break up passes.  Pryor seemed to get into trouble more when asked to cover man to man.  I also notice from very early in season Miles was taking a lot of his snaps and as soon as Pryor came in other teams would target if he was in SS man.  Never been a fan of Pryor but I do think he has his uses.  He is definately not worth 1st round and we got hosed (fans) but he can serve in rotation if you can limit his man cover responsibilities somehow.

Miles - I like, he too does not shy away from tackle and will limit YAC in that FS role but he never sniffed the ball as a FS so we have no true FS.  I think he does a better job in man than Pryor but not by much.  He plays the run very well whether he FS or SS he will come charging which I like.  I dont know what his ceiling is as he seems to get better every year so we see.

As a unit though they suck because they are always asking guys to play out of their comfort zone.  I think the Jets would be much better served if they could find a true FS center fielder and play him there 100%...Let Miles and Pryor battle it out for a SS role and then bring in your Nickel or Dime for that Man coverage but who knows.

I've been saying it for a while now Miles > Pryor.  

I think there are some solid options for FS in this draft and you dont have to go using the #6 pick on them. 

While I wouldnt take him at #6, you cant not be intrigued by Hooker's range.  I love Baker's game but he's small for a S. I got to watch Desmond King vs. the Gators in the bowl game (he had a pick) and I think he can play but again, small for a S.  I love Marcus Williams...talk about a play maker, he creates all sorts of turnovers.  I think my boy Maye has some serious potential. Menifonwu might be able to play both positions. 

Definitely some options. 

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I like Hooker, but I got a thing for LSU DBs and if we're going Safety at 6 I'd much prefer Adams. 

That all being said, l'd also prefer to go elsewhere at 6 altogether.

Exactly how I feel.  

Sans your thing for LSU DB's...;-)

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Never heard anyone compare him to Taylor, but the guy who coached both of them said the comparisons are fair.  I'd lean toward his opinion before anybody else's.

Coaches say crazy things all the time. Hooker doesn't even really stack with guys like Berry and Thomas as a prospect, let alone Ed Reed as an NFL safety. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Coaches say crazy things all the time. Hooker doesn't even really stack with guys like Berry and Thomas as a prospect, let alone Ed Reed as an NFL safety. 

To each his own.  I think he covers an insane amount of real estate in the secondary.

I suppose it could just be that those comparing him to Ed Reed are all crazy.

19 minutes ago, AFJF said:

To each his own.  I think he covers an insane amount of real estate in the secondary.

I suppose it could just be that those comparing him to Ed Reed are all crazy.

100% and it's unfair to the kids really.  Hooker has one year on tape and is compared to one of the greatest to every play the game?  It's ridiculous and truly holds no weight. Remember when Leo was compared to Reggie White?  

Schiano is the only one I've seen compare him to Ed Reed.  College coaches are always going to do this sh*t.  Recruiting is 24/7 365 and you have to use every thing in the book to get the best players. Pumping your boys up to help increase their draft stock is absolutely something that is noticed by potential recruits.

26 minutes ago, JiF said:

I've been saying it for a while now Miles > Pryor.  

I think there are some solid options for FS in this draft and you dont have to go using the #6 pick on them. 

While I wouldnt take him at #6, you cant not be intrigued by Hooker's range.  I love Baker's game but he's small for a S. I got to watch Desmond King vs. the Gators in the bowl game (he had a pick) and I think he can play but again, small for a S.  I love Marcus Williams...talk about a play maker, he creates all sorts of turnovers.  I think my boy Maye has some serious potential. Menifonwu might be able to play both positions. 

Definitely some options. 

I dont think I would pass on Adams if he there if Garrett and Fournette gone

I do think Baker would be an upgrade over Gilchrist despite his size but would not pick him with 1st 2 picks unless we trade down a bit.

I like Jones from NC from potential if picked up with comp pick or later not really fan of OBI unless it 3rd round or later

King was mostly CB so that would be change of position project

hoping Macc and his scouts come up with some magic here and find perfect FS

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

100% and it's unfair to the kids really.  Hooker has one year on tape and is compared to one of the greatest to every play the game?  It's ridiculous and truly holds no weight. Remember when Leo was compared to Reggie White?  

Schiano is the only one I've seen compare him to Ed Reed.  College coaches are always going to do this sh*t.  Recruiting is 24/7 365 and you have to use every thing in the book to get the best players. Pumping your boys up to help increase their draft stock is absolutely something that is noticed by potential recruits.

They are taking one aspect of his game, that aspect being range, and saying it compares to Ed Reed.  If it's a factual statement, ,what's wrong with that?  The guy is relatively new to football, played only one full season and had seven INT's and 3 pick sixes.

It's easy to sit back and write off every prospect on the board because you'll be right the majority of the time, simply because the majority of guys don't make it, but what this guy did last season was unreal.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Hahahahahahaha - I didnt realize you knew Malik personally to know that everyone was lying when they said he almost quit 7 times but his mother convinced him to stay.  Malik lied, his Mom lied and Urban Myer lied all for the sake of a "fluff story".  lmfao

I'm such a hysterical foolish fool for believing all these liars for the sake of a fluff story.

The Buckeyes head coach was tipping his hat to Hooker’s mother, Angela Dennis. In fact, he made Angela  available to the media after the game. A parent at a post-game presser is not something you see very often but Angela had more to offer her son than just a mother’s love.

"He tried to quit about seven times," Meyer said of Hooker's freshman year. "And I credit his mother with not allowing him to quit because obviously, it would have been a bad ending."

Angela explained her side of the story that day to the media.

“I told him he couldn't come home if he left," Angela said  "So he had nowhere else to go."

sure I bet you get all your news from TMZ too. vapid hysterical fool

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

you pay more attention to what players mothers say then their coaches. nuff said :lol:

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

They are taking one aspect of his game, that aspect being range, and saying it compares to Ed Reed.  If it's a factual statement, ,what's wrong with that?  The guy is relatively new to football, played only one full season and had seven INT's and 3 pick sixes.

It's easy to sit back and write off every prospect on the board because you'll be right the majority of the time, simply because the majority of guys don't make it, but what this guy did last season was unreal.

Nothings wrong with it...I just think it's a ton to put on a player.  People hear it and expect it and that's a tough comparison to live up to.  And then you have bozo's like us debating if he's Ed Reed.  Schiano also said, Reed was a 4 year starter and Malik has a long way to go.  Whatever, I guess there is no harm but if someone posts a topic on it, I'm going to disagree with the comparison and make my own because this is america after all. 

What he did last year was not unreal.  He picked of the likes of Bowling Green, Tulsa, Nebraska, Indiana...sure, he had some eye popping plays and one amazing one vs. Clemson.  But unreal?  What was unreal about it?  He didnt lead the nation in anything or break records.  He just had a really good year.

8 minutes ago, cant wait said:

you pay more attention to what players mothers say then their coaches. nuff said :lol:

Yes, I had two whole posts where I pointed to concerns in his game and then made one comment about him wanting to quit and that's all I pay attention too. 

TMZ = direct quotes from Urban Myer, Malik Hooker and his sweet Mother btw.  I liked that.  Cute.

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nothings wrong with it...I just think it's a ton to put on a player.  People hear it and expect it and that's a tough comparison to live up to.  And then you have bozo's like us debating if he's Ed Reed.  Schiano also said, Reed was a 4 year starter and Malik has a long way to go.  Whatever, I guess there is no harm but if someone posts a topic on it, I'm going to disagree with the comparison and make my own because this is america after all. 

What he did last year was not unreal.  He picked of the likes of Bowling Green, Tulsa, Nebraska, Indiana...sure, he had some eye popping plays and one amazing one vs. Clemson.  But unreal?  What was unreal about it?  He didnt lead the nation in anything or break records.  He just had a really good year.

I'd say for a guy to average better than one INT every two games in his first season as a starter at the highest level of collegiate football is pretty unreal.

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes, I had two whole posts where I pointed to concerns in his game and then made one comment about him wanting to quit and that's all I pay attention too. 

TMZ = direct quotes from Urban Myer, Malik Hooker and his sweet Mother btw.  I liked that.  Cute.

concerns in his game is one thing- your hysterical exaggeration of tackling issues and his "mommy" is what makes it nonsense

8 hours ago, cant wait said:

"But his mommy!"

He and his mommy are a top ten draft pick.  

She is smart.  She is getting her mortgage paid.

He may not be top 3, but he is top 10.

Beautiful story all around.  Hopefully he can focus on his game and have 10 year career.  Then he and his Mom are doing really well.

If you want someone with great range that can track with the ball in the air and who will turn it over, take Hooker.

If you want a guy with good range but chases down dump offs like a nickel LB, take Adams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Hooker over Adams sounds like a perfect Jetsy move.

Lets see, top recruit who goes on to start and star on one of the nations top defenses for 3 seasons, freshman year on.

Or a guy who made some big plays for 1 year

Arguing over which non-freak safety to draft with a top ten pick is Jetsy in itself.

Because the scouting media is made up largely of dudes who sit around and wait for Mayock and Kiper to tell them who scouts actually like, every one of their takes is pre-programmed idiocy.

White, unathletic forward who can shoot? Like Larry Bird!

Short, black QB? Like Russell Wilson!

Thin safety with a good 40? Like Ed Reed!

6'3 safety with a bad 40? Like Kam Chancellor!

CB under 6' tall? Confined to the slot!

Safety 215+ pounds? Box safety!

Tackle prospect you've never heard of? Will have to slide inside to guard!

260 lb DE? Like Terrell Suggs!

QB prospect that we didn't really watch but trashed anyway? Like Dak Prescott!

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Arguing over which non-freak safety to draft with a top ten pick is Jetsy in itself.

The truly Jetsian part would be drafting another Ohio State product who hates football and is always injured to pair with Devin Smith.

7 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Lets see, top recruit who goes on to start and star on one of the nations top defenses for 3 seasons, freshman year on.

The Jets will not take Hooker over Adams.  

I am feeling now that the injury/mother thing is going to drop Hooker a bit.

52 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Let's see, we need a quarterback, a left tackle, a center, a CB, and a pass rusher. So let's take a safety at #6!!!!

Selecting this guy would be the dumbest f*cking move this team could make. 

The problem with these needs is whether a QB, LT, C, CB or pass rusher is the best player available, or even close at 6.

I am also feeling the Solomon Thomas phenomenon.  Could the Jets find a way to use him?

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

The problem with these needs is whether a QB, LT, C, CB or pass rusher is the best player available, or even close at 6.

I am also feeling the Solomon Thomas phenomenon.  Could the Jets find a way to use him?

Then try to trade down, or reach on a guy that fills the biggest need (QB) who's projected to go a little lower. Even if Hooker turns out to be a great player (and I have my doubts he will), it will do little to better this team. 

The NFL is all about the quarterback. It isn't the team sport other versions of football are. Stop wasting time on safeties and D-Linemen, and go all out on filling the only position that matters. 

I don't give a sh!t what Kiper, Mayock, or any other f*cktard draftnik says. Take a f*cking quarterback. Hell, use the first two or three picks on them. 

8 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

A safety who can actually play the position, why is that a bad thing?

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

Then try to trade down, or reach on a guy that fills the biggest need (QB) who's projected to go a little lower. Even if Hooker turns out to be a great player (and I have my doubts he will), it will do little to better this team. 

The NFL is all about the quarterback. It isn't the team sport other versions of football are. Stop wasting time on safeties and D-Linemen, and go all out on filling the only position that matters. 

I don't give a sh!t what Kiper, Mayock, or any other f*cktard draftnik says. Take a f*cking quarterback. Hell, use the first two or three picks on them. 

The problem is that quarterbacks, especially young quarterbacks need to be developed and come into a good situation beyond just being good players. sh*t team around a great quarterback and you end up with Andrew Luck who is starting to become damaged goods. 

Archived