Jets Should Offer McCown & a 5th for Glennon

Doggin94it

Mike Glennon has to be super pissed right now.  He finally got out of Tampa, where he got all of 1 year before the Bucs (correctly) drafted Winston and pushed him to the bench, and now the team he carefully selected as the place to go on a second contract - the team that signed him for 18.5M guaranteed - just did the same thing to him by dealing the farm for Trubisky.  There's no way - none - Glennon plays out his contract in Chicago as a starter, not with the No. 2 overall pick as his backup.  His leash will be super short, the fan base will be calling for Trubisky ... he's got to want out.

And we happen to have both an opening for a starting QB and a current "good veteran" who last enjoyed real success as ... the fill-in starter for the Chicago Bears.

This is a match made in heaven.  And before you go "but the money" ... money's no object.  Glennon only has an 8M salary this year (2 more than McCown) and 14.5 next year, of which only 2 is guaranteed.  So if he doesn't work out, it's an easy escape.

I think the beauty of Glennon for Chicago is he's why they don't have to start Trubisky who's a huge project. He gives the coaching staff and management more longevity too bc now they have a "long term plan" w two different possible options. You'd have to rip him from their Cold dead hands.

7 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Why? If we wanted to pay the contract the Bears gave him plus a bonus, we could have done that in FA

This.

The Mike Glennon ship has sailed. If the Jets want to add one more QB to the mix before camp draft a guy like Davis Webb if he's there in round 3 and take a chance. It wouldn't knock them out of drafting a QB next year.

7 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Mike Glennon has to be super pissed right now.  He finally got out of Tampa, where he got all of 1 year before the Bucs (correctly) drafted Winston and pushed him to the bench, and now the team he carefully selected as the place to go on a second contract - the team that signed him for 18.5M guaranteed - just did the same thing to him by dealing the farm for Trubisky.  There's no way - none - Glennon plays out his contract in Chicago as a starter, not with the No. 2 overall pick as his backup.  His leash will be super short, the fan base will be calling for Trubisky ... he's got to want out.

And we happen to have both an opening for a starting QB and a current "good veteran" who last enjoyed real success as ... the fill-in starter for the Chicago Bears.

This is a match made in heaven.  And before you go "but the money" ... money's no object.  Glennon only has an 8M salary this year (2 more than McCown) and 14.5 next year, of which only 2 is guaranteed.  So if he doesn't work out, it's an easy escape.

If I'm Glennon, I'm thrilled... I have 18.5M guaranteed and I get to go on a 1-year-audition before I sign another huge deal.

The only issue is if he starts and is terrible, then he's in trouble.  But, if he's even okay, the Bears likely move on to Trubisky next year, and another team overpays him.  If Trubsiky starts this year, that's fine too, because he's still an unknown, and will take his 18.5M and get another deal so that some other team can see if he's worth it.

You assume Glennon is the starter in 2016 and then could be available. Mark is on the roster, too. He actually had a real good relationship with Prescott on the Cowboys last year maybe better than Romo. Prescott talked a lot about Mark helping him out a lot. Plus with Sanchez you have a guy with a lot of starts who can play if called on. I think McCown will be out starter and it's an improvement over Fitz and over Petty and Geno.

they have Glennon for 1 year really so no need to get rid of him.  they will see what they have in him and Mitch.  can't have enough qb's on the roster (ok maybe the jets do too bad they all suck)

4 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Why? If we wanted to pay the contract the Bears gave him plus a bonus, we could have done that in FA

Precisely because we wouldn't have to give him that contract.  8M of it was tied up in signing and roster bonuses that would not transfer to the Jets; the result would be an 8M cap-and-cash payment year 1, with a 14.5M salary in year two if he did well enough that we wanted to keep him at that price (v. 2.5M in dead money if we wanted to cut him).

If you don't think the Jets would've been willing to give him that deal in FA, you're nuts

Ummmmm I begged for Glennon and wanted him desperately for the Jets but not at that price. 

But the answer is Noooooooo!

Why trade anything for him if you were willing to give Glennon that contract from the get go as others have already stated?

Clearly the Jets as a team believe that Hack is probably will be the answer.  

Time will tell. 

Archived