NFL Insider John Clayton laid off by ESPN

joewilly12

On 6/1/2017 at 4:13 PM, Bugg said:

It really comes down to money;their NFL rights fee may be  bad, but the NBA fee arrangements are absurd.  NOBODY is going to make money broadcasting awful NBA games at these prices. The deal was signed under the belief that the NBA would overtake MLB as the #2 sports property. While MLB has foundered, nobody really grasped that technology and television were changing in ways that made sports properties less valuable. There are so many options for your entertainment dollar in your home that simply were not there before.  An NBA broadcast on ABC(same company, same contract)  on Saturday March 4th was outrated by a nondescript boxing match on CBS. Also, marginal NCAA games outdrew NBA games on ESPN and ABC. These have not been exceptions but the new reality. There is a real problem here with competitiveness; nobody needed to watch 8 months of preliminaries to get to this Finals. Now I admit I am not an NBA fan(would sooner watch Calgary Flames/Anaheim Ducks Tuesday in January game without  a 2nd thought, but I am not the target demo) , but I can respect the talent, hard work and athleticism of many of these players. But frankly there are an awful lot of NBA games from October through May  that aren't much more than exhibitions. ESPN has built their whole programming around an awful product. 

Even someone like me who doesn't follow basketball knew it was going to be GS and Cleveland in the finals for the 3rd consecutive year.  I used to like the Knicks but they've been a disaster for so long now that they're almost non-existent.  And the guaranteed contracts plus the salary cap make it very difficult to compete in the NBA.  It is a league dominated by superstars and there's no real way to acquire one other than being crappy in the right year.

The NFL has similarities (and, sadly, has been pushed in that direction) but it's not as extreme IMO as the NBA.  The NHL has the best competition because teams who play with heart and desire (and have a hot goalie at the right time) can overcome more talented teams.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/1/2017 at 9:16 AM, T0mShane said:

No doubt. Watching an hour of ESPN, you get a few highlights, then a segment where a chick in a cocktail dress is interviewing an actor/rapper, then a segment where some dudes are making hockey jokes, then an unfunny panel show where old beat reporters make snide remarks about Bryce Harper and Kobe Bryant. Who's watching that? 

There is in fact a market for people who wake and bake (Jerry,Maury, etc.) and for people who apparently don't go to work in the morning such that they can watch "Good Morning, 'merica, WTF DO YOU DO WITH YOURSELF THAT YOU CAN WATCH TV AT 845 IN THE MORNING"?  . But what kind of audience are you catering to put on these even less stimulating marginally-sports related shows, and who wants to advertise to such a collection of future Darwin award competition participants spare the catheter cartel? 

18 hours ago, Bugg said:

There is in fact a market for people who wake and bake (Jerry,Maury, etc.) and for people who apparently don't go to work in the morning such that they can watch "Good Morning, 'merica, WTF DO YOU DO WITH YOURSELF THAT YOU CAN WATCH TV AT 845 IN THE MORNING"?  . But what kind of audience are you catering to put on these even less stimulating marginally-sports related shows, and who wants to advertise to such a collection of future Darwin award competition participants spare the catheter cartel? 

Daytime TV is unwatchable

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, there's a panel show on at the bar with Colin Cowherd, Jason Whitlock (who is stuffed into a suit jacket, Chris Broussard, and some other excitable dude. What the **** is going on with sports media? Are we this stupid? 

7% of the country thinks chocolate milk comes from brown cows. So yes.

Google that one btw. Not making it up.

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

7% of the country thinks chocolate milk comes from brown cows. So yes.

Google that one btw. Not making it up.

I saw that and was surprised the number was that low. I recently spent time in the Deep South.

the fourth guy was Jason McIntyre, btw, of The Big Lead fame.

Archived