Your first 100 days as the new owner of the New York Jets...

T0mShane

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Imagine how some posters feel about other posters that posture themselves above other, make broad generalizations about groups based upon their own prejudices and ignorance, and attempt to portray their experiences as more important than any others.

You've just described the internet.

SAR I

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Really hope this is an act on your part. Otherwise, the way you purport yourself around here, you are a small, small, little man with no sense of any self worth. Your only way around that is to put others down to make your self feel better.

If this in fact the true you, I have pity for you. Either way, it is just sad.

An act?  Describing the difference between Jets/Yankees fans and Jets/Mets fans is pretty simple, we all live here, we all know each other.  I know about 50 of each of these types, we hear each other on the radio night and day, it's not rocket science.  I understand your sports frustration, but it doesn't mean you get PSL's at the Jets pity-party.  And I believe what I said:  Sad-sack overly sensitive Jets fans ran Mark and Mike out of town and led Woody to stick with Rex which turns out to be the worst football decision in New York in the last 40 years.

The personal attack is not warranted.  Debate the subject matter.  Calling other posters "small", "worthless", and "worthy of pity" is completely inappropriate.

SAR I

On 8/7/2017 at 8:34 PM, T0mShane said:

Here's the hypothetical: Woody sells, you become the owner of the team in January 2018. What are the five major things you do in that time frame.

I ask, because I usually make a post this time of year talking about how I'd fix the team moving forward, but I've quite frankly given up. But anyway, curious what you people think.

1) Bring in Mac & Bowles.  Tell them that Bowles will be reporting to Mac from now on.  They both have 3 years to get this franchise in position to be a consistent playoff participant (that is, enough talent & production to be legitimately projected as a likely playoff team for the ensuing 3 years).  Neither will be fired before that, neither will be extended beyond that until after 2020, and they succeed or fail as a pair.  If they do not want to sign contract extensions through the end of the 2020 season, I'll let them go today and bring in a new team with that same 3 year horizon.

That means they each get the next 2 years to make moves in the team's long term interest without worrying that short-term W-L will cost them their jobs.  

2) Direct them that for the next 2 years, the rules for job competitions in training camp are simple: If a young player with potential performs close to as-well as a hold-the-fort vet, the young player gets the job.  No exceptions. And salary is not to play a role in that determination.  I'd rather have a relatively high priced vet wasting away on the bench because he's not good enough than have him in the lineup hurting the team and retarding the development of younger players with greater potential.  Every GM makes mistakes, bad signings, etc. Those are sunk costs.  Insisting that guys play for salary reasons only compounds the costs, and is a worse sin, in my eyes, than making the bad signing in the first place.  This rule does not apply to stars or vets expected to be in the top half of the league at their position; a bad camp shouldn't cost them their job unless the younger player actually outplays them. But for the aggressively mediocre guys, and while we're in the process of building to that perennial playoff contender? Potential wins if it's close.

3) Invest big money in an analytics department and instruct Mac and Bowles to incorporate analytics in their player-personnel moves and in-game decisions.  Demand a full after-action report on that incorporation as part of the end-of-season exit interview process, along with full R.E.A.D. decision breakdown on major decisions.

4) Get the hell out of the way.

There's no 5

34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Mere icing on the cake, a simple insurance policy.

Once the Olympics were not coming, the WSS was dead.  Not much revenue to be gained by a team with 10 home games a year.  And all the so-called concerts and other events would just be taken away from MSG or Javitz, so there wasn't an incremental for the city.  Not to mention the inconvenience for the fans who live in New Jersey (80%) or Long Island/Westchester/CT (20%) whose last destination on Earth they'd want to spend a Sunday afternoon is Manhattan.

SAR I

No the concerts would have been bigger than anything at MSG or Jacob Javits not to mention Super Bowl and Final Four here once every 6-7 years

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Wrong.

Yankee/Jets fans are in balance.  We know what it's like to win with class and lose with dignity.  We've had lots of Championships so it's not so bad that the Jets have shut us out for our lifetimes.  We've had enough champagne in baseball to be okay with the thirst in football.  If anything, it makes it more spicy, more interesting.

Mets/Jets fans are out of balance.  They are paranoid, view everyone else as "entitled" when really they are just self-deprecating, they expect the sky to fall.  Sadly, deep-down, they secretly love playing the role of the pathetic loser, wouldn't know what to do if they actually won something. 

Mets fans are the millennials of New York sports.  So sensitive.  Identify as abused.  Need safe spaces.  Couldn't tolerate Buttfumble jokes at the water cooler so they ran our young quarterback and proven GM out of town because the buffoon HC got them the attention they so desired.  Hope you're happy now.  No QB in town has been as good as Mark since he was booted, we've been through two GM's since Tanny was punted and turned the Fins around, and Rex is the joke of the NFL. 

Brilliant job.  Go Mets.

SAR I

Sanchez is out of the league and the Dolphins are financially committed to spin the tires in the mud Ryan Tannehill. Substitute Tannenbaum with Mangini and Sanchez with anyone else, you might have a point. And I'm a Jets/Yanks fan too.

53 minutes ago, SAR I said:

An act?  Describing the difference between Jets/Yankees fans and Jets/Mets fans is pretty simple, we all live here, we all know each other.  I know about 50 of each of these types, we hear each other on the radio night and day, it's not rocket science.  I understand your sports frustration, but it doesn't mean you get PSL's at the Jets pity-party.  And I believe what I said:  Sad-sack overly sensitive Jets fans ran Mark and Mike out of town and led Woody to stick with Rex which turns out to be the worst football decision in New York in the last 40 years.

The personal attack is not warranted.  Debate the subject matter.  Calling other posters "small", "worthless", and "worthy of pity" is completely inappropriate.

SAR I

Sports frustration? Ha! 

All I am saying is if your true personality is to stereotype large groups and fit them in small compartmentalized packages that confirm to some measure that makes your existence more meaningful, then that his sad.

That is not an attack, that is a commentary. My pure hope again, that it is an act. If not then I shower you with pity.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

No the concerts would have been bigger than anything at MSG or Jacob Javits not to mention Super Bowl and Final Four here once every 6-7 years

MSG seats 21,000 for a concert.  MetLife Stadium seats 80,000.  The Jets stadium in Manhattan would have held 75,000 making it a redundancy just 5 miles away.

The Super Bowl happened here already and the fans didn't like it.  Not because of a lack of a dome but because Super Bowl attendees view it as a winter vacation for the family and they want to be somewhere warm in February where the kids can swim like Miami.  The Final Four is no different than the Regionals MSG hosted this year, you're talking a few extra people, no major incremental difference in city revenue or hotel rooms.

In your mind it might have been exciting to see concerts and sporting events at a domed Manhattan stadium, but in reality it would have made zero difference to the people of New York who simply would have seen these same events moved from MSG and MetLife to a redundant facility sitting between them.  It made no sense then and it makes no sense now.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Sanchez is out of the league and the Dolphins are financially committed to spin the tires in the mud Ryan Tannehill. Substitute Tannenbaum with Mangini and Sanchez with anyone else, you might have a point. And I'm a Jets/Yanks fan too.

Tannenbaum was with the Jets for the 15 year span where we were always a playoff contender, had a non-losing or winning record 12 of those 15 years and only Chad Pennington's weak body prevented 15 for 15.

History shows it was worth the risk to build around Sanchez in 2013 and 2014 considering he was still better than Geno Smith.  History shows that Idzik and Maccagnan haven't done anything favorable in comparison to Tannenbaum.  And Rex, well, we know that story.

In 2013 Woody Johnson should have fired the head coach, kept Tannenbaum, and build a legitimate offense around Sanchez.  Looking back, that was the proper play.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Sports frustration? Ha! 

All I am saying is if your true personality is to stereotype large groups and fit them in small compartmentalized packages that confirm to some measure that makes your existence more meaningful, then that his sad.

That is not an attack, that is a commentary. My pure hope again, that it is an act. If not then I shower you with pity.

It is impossible to have a conversation about millions of people and not compartmentalize them.  It's how the internet works.

Speaking of which, is it not compartmentalizing me to say I am part of a stereotypical "rich guy" group?  I can pull all your quotes about the so-called wine-drinking quiet-sitting no-show BMW-driving stereotype you and many others have talked about over the years if you like.  "These new rich fans don't cheer and they sell their seats to enemy fans and they care more about their phones than the Jets...."  Sound familiar?  Hypocrite much?

SAR I

33 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Tannenbaum was with the Jets for the 15 year span where we were always a playoff contender, had a non-losing or winning record 12 of those 15 years and only Chad Pennington's weak body prevented 15 for 15.

History shows it was worth the risk to build around Sanchez in 2013 and 2014 considering he was still better than Geno Smith.  History shows that Idzik and Maccagnan haven't done anything favorable in comparison to Tannenbaum.  And Rex, well, we know that story.

In 2013 Woody Johnson should have fired the head coach, kept Tannenbaum, and build a legitimate offense around Sanchez.  Looking back, that was the proper play.

SAR I

It actually shows the opposite. Sanchez was placed on a talented team in 09-10. isolate his individual play from the team those years and it was easy to project he wasnt the longterm answer.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It actually shows the opposite. Sanchez was placed on a talented team in 09-10. isolate his individual play from the team those years and it was easy to project he wasnt the longterm answer.

a team so talented that w/ no Tom Brady around and a creampuff sched they couldn't make the playoffs the year before mark.  Mark's play dropped off after we stripped him of his weapons. we had talented teams and he as a huge part of those title game runs but when the talent left he struggled, like basically all QBs not named Brady or Rodgers.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Sanchez is on the Bears and at least Miami has a shot.  it sure beats what we have seen since he left, right?

Just now, nyjunc said:

a team so talented that w/ no Tom Brady around and a creampuff sched they couldn't make the playoffs the year before mark.  Mark's play dropped off after we stripped him of his weapons. we had talented teams and he as a huge part of those title game runs but when the talent left he struggled, like basically all QBs not named Brady or Rodgers.

Sanchez is still relatively young for a QB and is barely in the league. He was never going to be the longterm answer at QB here or anywhere for that matter.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

You are the exception, not the rule.

The tailgaters that I have seen for decades in the Meadowlands were not like you, not at all.  The rude people in the lots who litter and curse and the couple that sits next to me in my section are more the norm.  They show up halfway through the first quarter reeking of beer.  After a series, the wife gets up to go to the bathroom and comes back with two beers.  Ten minutes later, the husband gets up to go to the bathroom and comes back with two beers.  It's a precision machine designed to consume as much alcohol as possible.  Their timing is impeccable.  And this repeats itself 3 more times, up and down, beer goes in, piss comes out, until we get to the midway point of the third quarter when they leave to clean up their tailgate and drive home either slightly buzzed or hung over.  Thankfully they only show up for half the games, give their tickets to their kids who don't drink and actually want to watch the action on the field.

SAR I

I haven't seen anything like that at the stadium in a very long time.

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sanchez is still relatively young for a QB and is barely in the league. He was never going to be the longterm answer at QB here or anywhere for that matter.

he's in no man's land right now, he needs injuries to get back on the field.  we screwed his career when we fired Tannenbaum.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Has a shot at what?

the playoffs which they made for the first time since the year favre couldn't get us to the playoffs w/ a more talented team.

22 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I'll play.

• I'd make it perfectly clear that if Matt Stafford or Kirk Cousins are a FA next year, that they'll be the face of our franchise. If there are tampering charges, I'd pay them happily.
  • Then I'd draft a top QB in the first round of next years draft. 

With the pick you lost for tampering?

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

This.

And people forget New York history-  The Dodgers left Brooklyn because of lack of parking.  The Baseball Giants left Manhattan because of lack of parking.  The Football Giants left the Bronx because of lack of capacity.

So the Jets West Side Stadium was going to hold 20,000 fewer fans, have the least amount of parking in the NFL, and be in the one spot in the NY metro area that is worse than any other to reach.  Would have been a nightmare if it happened.  Fans would be screaming that there weren't enough seats, that they couldn't find parking, that there was no tailgating, there were no seats without PSL's, the LIRR and NJT were a nightmare, and on and on.

And most important of all?  The gameday ticket prices would have been outrageous due to fewer seats and the influx of Manhattan weekend tourists who would go to a Jets game as a curiosity because they couldn't get tickets to see Hamilton.

SAR I

This is 100% accurate.  A WSS would be the greatest case of be careful what you wish for that I could possibly imagine.

Do people even know what's going on at Penn Station right now?

The only disappointment I had over the whole thing is that I'm pretty sure if the WSS got a Super Bowl, I could leave the city for a few days, and AirBnB my apartment for about 15K for the weekend.  That would have been nice.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

It is impossible to have a conversation about millions of people and not compartmentalize them.  It's how the internet works.

Speaking of which, is it not compartmentalizing me to say I am part of a stereotypical "rich guy" group?  I can pull all your quotes about the so-called wine-drinking quiet-sitting no-show BMW-driving stereotype you and many others have talked about over the years if you like.  "These new rich fans don't cheer and they sell their seats to enemy fans and they care more about their phones than the Jets...."  Sound familiar?  Hypocrite much?

SAR I

When did I say you were rich? In fact, I believe you are emotionally bankrupt for some soul-sucking reason. I will not attempt to categorize that vapid hole, as it would just fit exactly what you are doing. 

How the internet works? So sad.

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

He showed more flashes than any other young quarterback since Namath.  Would have been interesting to see what he could have become with some actual talent at WR and TE.

And it would be just like the Jets, right?  To finally find the franchise quarterback after 40 years of trying and screw it up.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

I haven't seen anything like that at the stadium in a very long time.

That's because you attend games in a traveling house and have a private toilet.

Come live with ye commoners, see how the other 99% lives.

SAR I

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

This is 100% accurate.  A WSS would be the greatest case of be careful what you wish for that I could possibly imagine.

Do people even know what's going on at Penn Station right now?

The only disappointment I had over the whole thing is that I'm pretty sure if the WSS got a Super Bowl, I could leave the city for a few days, and AirBnB my apartment for about 15K for the weekend.  That would have been nice.

LOL, yes, the windfall of Manhattan Super Bowl cash rentals would have been epic.

SAR I

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

You are the exception, not the rule.

The tailgaters that I have seen for decades in the Meadowlands were not like you, not at all.  The rude people in the lots who litter and curse and the couple that sits next to me in my section are more the norm.  They show up halfway through the first quarter reeking of beer.  After a series, the wife gets up to go to the bathroom and comes back with two beers.  Ten minutes later, the husband gets up to go to the bathroom and comes back with two beers.  It's a precision machine designed to consume as much alcohol as possible.  Their timing is impeccable.  And this repeats itself 3 more times, up and down, beer goes in, piss comes out, until we get to the midway point of the third quarter when they leave to clean up their tailgate and drive home either slightly buzzed or hung over.  Thankfully they only show up for half the games, give their tickets to their kids who don't drink and actually want to watch the action on the field.

SAR I

Image result for shaking head in disgust gifs

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

And people forget New York history-  The Dodgers left Brooklyn because of lack of parking.  The Baseball Giants left Manhattan because of lack of parking.  The Football Giants left the Bronx because of lack of capacity.........

SAR now you are just making sh!t up or you are just a revisionist historian. Parking lol.

The Dodgers and baseball Giants left NY because owners Stoneham and Omalley were given brand new publicly paid for stadiums in LA and SF.

Taking it one step further Omalley wanted out of Bklyn because NYC refused to pay for a new stadium and he also let it be known that despite Jackie Robinson the area around Ebbetts was keeping the white fans away.

The uptown Giants on the other hand couldnt compete for fans with the Yankees who were dominating the sport while the Giant basically stunk during the 30's-40's

If parking as you say was the problem they would have both built high rise parking garages... like the Yankees did when they felt the parking space crunch.

They wanted out of NY to make MORE MONEY. Nothing else mattered. 

The football Giants left the Bronx to play in a stadium designed for football. There was plenty of capacity at Yankee stadium  but the design made for terrible sight lines.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

SAR now you are just making sh!t up or you are just a revisionist historian. Parking lol.

The Dodgers and baseball Giants left NY because owners Stoneham and Omalley were given brand new publicly paid for stadiums in LA and SF.

Taking it one step further Omalley wanted out of Bklyn because NYC refused to pay for a new stadium and he also let it be known that despite Jackie Robinson the area around Ebbetts was keeping the white fans away.

The uptown Giants on the other hand couldnt compete for fans with the Yankees who were dominating the sport while the Giant basically stunk during the 30's-40's

If parking as you say was the problem they would have both built high rise parking garages... like the Yankees did when they felt the parking space crunch.

They wanted out of NY to make MORE MONEY. Nothing else mattered. 

The football Giants left the Bronx to play in a stadium designed for football. There was plenty of capacity at Yankee stadium  but the design made for terrible sight lines.

I highly recommend you watch the documentary "The Ghosts Of Flatbush".

SAR I

Archived