Worst Coaching year

UnitedWhofans

Worst year/coaching job  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Worse coaching year/worse team

• Todd Bowles/2016 Jets
    • Ben McAdoo/2017 Giants

22 hours ago, rangerous said:

or the coach influenced the gm's draft pick.

I’ve little doubt some picks are influenced by the coach, but that very thing could be said of any HC on any team in the NFL.

Ultimately, the pick is the GM’s to make, and the GM’s alone. For all the conspiracy theories, the HC doesn’t command him to do anything, and the owner doesn’t step in and override any picks.

For example, Maccagnan was put under obvious public pressure when the HC announced his desire to bring back the QB he never once sat with on an offensive meeting all season. Stupid, but [fill in the Gump family expression]. Maccagnan still didn’t have to get him; he could have moved up for Wentz and the pressure would have magically disappeared. Ditto if he’d drafted Prescott and he looked legit before July 30th or whenever it was Fitz finally signed. Ditto if he made a trade or signed any other veteran.

Even still he didn’t need to sign Fitz, but with the HC’s desire known publicly and stupid fans and dufus beat writers beating that drum, he could still make the decision. But Hackenberg had to have shown something for the fans to get off his back and see the bright future even without double-downing on a career loser QB and paying him a ridiculous amount everyone would have ultimately understood not paying.

11 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Hack in the 2nd is literally a Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell level whiff.  Yes, he was "only" a 2nd rounder, but he is not even good enough to dress.

Wow! Under no circumstances, in no known universe does a second round bust come close to a #1 or #2 overall bust.

8 hours ago, 20andOut said:

Wow! Under no circumstances, in no known universe does a second round bust come close to a #1 or #2 overall bust.

I admit that it is debatable, but there certainly can be a conversation.  

At least I have seen them in shoulder pads.  Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell won actual NFL games and threw actual NFL touchdown passes.  Jamarcus Russell outdueled the great Brett Farve that season when we would have won it all if only Brett didn't get hurt.  That was in mid-October, well before the old coot supposedly suffered the phantom injury that excused his sh*tty play even though he didn't do anything about it.  

Yes, whiffing on the first or second overall is way worse than a second rounder.  OTOH, picking a player with a Tahj Boyd career path in the second is much worse than a guy with potential that can play in NFL games but never put it together.  Why did they think he deserved to be in the NFL?  His ourlads high school reports?  He is/was a Jake Heap level prospect and they drafted him like he was Derek Carr.

37 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

At least I have seen them in shoulder pads.  Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell won actual NFL games and threw actual NFL touchdown passes.  Jamarcus Russell outdueled the great Brett Farve that season when we would have won it all if only Brett didn't get hurt.  That was in mid-October, well before the old coot supposedly suffered the phantom injury that excused his sh*tty play even though he didn't do anything about it.  

Yes, whiffing on the first or second overall is way worse than a second rounder.  OTOH, picking a player with a Tahj Boyd career path in the second is much worse than a guy with potential that can play in NFL games but never put it together.  Why did they think he deserved to be in the NFL?  His ourlads high school reports?  He is/was a Jake Heap level prospect and they drafted him like he was Derek Carr.

What if Hack got in last year and played well, not great, you would have been stunned? You knew from the moment he was drafted, this is what he was going to be? What if Dak was drafted in the 2nd round last season and played as well as he did? Wouldn't you have still been surprised? 

Not trying to defend Mac but when it comes to QB, it really does take luck in finding one. 

3 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

What if Hack got in last year and played well, not great, you would have been stunned? You knew from the moment he was drafted, this is what he was going to be? What if Dak was drafted in the 2nd round last season and played as well as he did? Wouldn't you have still been surprised? 

Not trying to defend Mac but when it comes to QB, it really does take luck in finding one. 

People keep selling this.

I agree that it takes luck to find a QB.  OTOH, Hackenberg's main asset was that he had played in a pro-style offense under O'Brien.  What advantage is having played in a pro-style offense when you need 2+ red-shirt years to learn how to throw a football? 

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

Prescott isn't having a great year either. Losing O'Leary and the loss of players on defense, as well as Ezekial Elliot's troubles has made Dak look very average.

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

As bad as Bowles is, McAdoo has a much better team with a future HOF QB, and yet he can't put any of it together. 

I think it goes well beyond that.  McAdoo got the job as some kind of offensive savant.  Their offense is atrocious and that predated the injuries.  In fact, even when they looked good last season they were bottom of the league in scoring and, if anything, did worse as the year went on.

On 11/6/2017 at 12:15 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Our coach is awful. Our GM is not.  

Nothing Bowles has ever done was as bad as the Christian Hackenberg draft pick 

You got it backwards JOJO

Bowles is doing a good job despite a poor roster construction. ANd that's on MAC

as for Ben McAdoo he's not that bad of a coach he's just unlucky enough to preside over Eli Manning's quick decline. 

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

Prescott isn't having a great year either. Losing O'Leary and the loss of players on defense, as well as Ezekial Elliot's troubles has made Dak look very average.

Greatness is required now? He's been good enough to win with, and whatever Dallas' problems are, this low-cost 2nd-year QB (who cost neither big money nor a high draft pick at #135 overall) is way down on the list:

• He has a 4:1 TD:INT ratio
  • Dallas has scored 28+ for 6 games in a row (and counting)
  • By QBR (for what that's worth) he's tied with Goff for being the 8th-rated passer in the NFL
  • On 3rd/4th and short he's 17 of 18 (11 passing 1st downs and 6 rushing). That's damn near automatic. Even with McCown's good stats he's got a 20-25% failure rate from this distance.

If Hackenberg somehow put up even a 1:1 ratio for half a season, it would be cause for celebrations and told-you-so's.

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sorry, not debatable, no comparison. Not defending the pick just saying no comparison between 2nd rounder and top 1/2 pick. I think Macc was victimized intentionally or accidentally by Bill OBrien. He must have talked up Hack while Macc was in Houston to the point where Macc thought he had the inside info to pull off a steal. Maybe O'Brien really believed in Hack or maybe he was feeding him a line of sh*t knowing Macc was going to be a top GM candidate in the offseason.

11 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

Sorry, not debatable, no comparison. Not defending the pick just saying no comparison between 2nd rounder and top 1/2 pick. I think Macc was victimized intentionally or accidentally by Bill OBrien. He must have talked up Hack while Macc was in Houston to the point where Macc thought he had the inside info to pull off a steal. Maybe O'Brien really believed in Hack or maybe he was feeding him a line of sh*t knowing Macc was going to be a top GM candidate in the offseason.

So, you are saying you don't agree with me? 

IMO, being jobbed by someone you used to work with is worse thank picking a guy that turns out to be hooked on grape drank like Russell.  So is picking a player that so obviously does not belong.  Not doing the homework and making the selection based upon your personal choice only makes it worse in my opinion.  You'll probably never have to worry about Maccagnan making such a selection at the top of the draft since he is so risk averse up there.  

1 hour ago, 20andOut said:

Victimized, lol.

Maybe he was victimized by Casserly in recommending him for the position in the first place.

Archived