Breer's Draft Column

KRL

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No Pro Drafthead is going to project us taking a QB at #10, because no Pro Drafthead thinks Mayfield (or Jackson or the others) are worth the #10 pick.

I could never understand this logic.  If you're taking a QB in the first round - your committing to this guy to be the driving force and face of your franchise how does 10 draft spots make a difference.   If you're willing to take this guy at 25 you should be willing to take him at 5.  The position is simply too important to play games with.

Nice fluff piece. Couple thoughts;

1 - No way Lamar last till the 2nd RND. If you want him, you're going to have to take him in the 1st. JAX seems like a real possibility - and the fit makes sense. Young Offense, defense that's emerging as top 5... they could make a serious run right now with Lamar for a few years. I'm not banking on Lamar's career @30 yrs old, so get him while he's hot. 

2 - After next year's draft, the total overhaul at RB in the NFL will be complete. And thank god. 

3 - I really want a QB. I'll basically take anyone at this point not named Allen.

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No Pro Drafthead is going to project us taking a QB at #10, because no Pro Drafthead thinks Mayfield (or Jackson or the others) are worth the #10 pick.

I know you think you know more than Draft Experts because one time Wayne Chrebet slipped through the cracks and Vernon Gholston was a bust.  But the reality is that scouts, even within the same organization grade players very differently. Scouts miss ALL the time. THe question is whether their experience and time make them better predicters (not perfect) than guys like you that love to Monday Morning QB drafts. 

Meanwhile, relating to your expert opinion that Pro Draftheads don't think Mayfield is worth the #10 pick:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php  - Has Mayfield going 5 to Denver

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-bengals-select-qb-baker-mayfield-to-replace-andy-dalton/   - Mayfield going 9

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-nfl-draft-qb-rankings-after-week-14 Mayfield as  the #1 QB Prospect

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Nice fluff piece. Couple thoughts;

1 - No way Lamar last till the 2nd RND. If you want him, you're going to have to take him in the 1st. JAX seems like a real possibility - and the fit makes sense. Young Offense, defense that's emerging as top 5... they could make a serious run right now with Lamar for a few years. I'm not banking on Lamar's career @30 yrs old, so get him while he's hot. 

2 - After next year's draft, the total overhaul at RB in the NFL will be complete. And thank god. 

3 - I really want a QB. I'll basically take anyone at this point not named Allen.

Agree on Lamar. He is going top 15. He is a win now QB in my mind. While he needs work on his passing skills, his feet will win you games and his passing isn't as bad as some think. A team will take him and hope to catch lighting in a bottle. I don't love him for the Jets because I don't think he is a long term answer. His game/frame makes me think he will be hurt more often than not. 

2- Agreed on the RBs. 

3- Serious question. You loved Paxton Lynch (Not rehashing that argument). But Josh Allen has been compared to Big Ben (http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018JAllen.php) . Paxton Lynch was also compared to Big Ben (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000579335/article/afc-executive-paxton-lynch-similar-to-ben-roethlisberger). Both are big strong kids with big arms. And Allen seems a little more mobile.

If you liked Lynch's ability, I am little surprised you don't like Allen. They seem like similar prospects. 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I know you think you know more than Draft Experts because one time Wayne Chrebet slipped through the cracks and Vernon Gholston was a bust.  But the reality is that scouts, even within the same organization grade players very differently. Scouts miss ALL the time. THe question is whether their experience and time make them better predicters (not perfect) than guys like you that love to Monday Morning QB drafts. 

Meanwhile, relating to your expert opinion that Pro Draftheads don't think Mayfield is worth the #10 pick:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php  - Has Mayfield going 5 to Denver

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-bengals-select-qb-baker-mayfield-to-replace-andy-dalton/   - Mayfield going 9

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-nfl-draft-qb-rankings-after-week-14 Mayfield as  the #1 QB Prospect

I don't know more broadly than Draft Experts of College Football fans.

I DO know the Jets, their needs, and the choices they should make better than most, and my posting history the past 20 odd years (with some hilarious and entertaining exceptions) proves that out.

As I've said for weeks now, the "hyped guys" have, and ae, changing nearly by the day.  Few days ago, mayfield was barely a 2nd rounder according to Kiper and others.  Today you like me some stuff (including the laughably bad CBS) that he's a Top 10 pick.  Tomorrow it'll change again.

With that said, let me amend what I said:  Till VERY recently, almost no Pro Drafthead one had Mayfield as a 1st Rounder.  He was roundly being described as a high 2nd Rounder.

If I'm the Jets this off season, I use the $90M in cap space to re-tool our OL, resign a few of our contributors (Sefarian-Jenkins, Ealy, Davis) and bring in a #1CB. Draft day I trade whatever it takes to get into the position needed to get Cleveland's #1 overall and I grab the QB at the top of my board. It's time to stop ******* around.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

3- Serious question. You loved Paxton Lynch (Not rehashing that argument). But Josh Allen has been compared to Big Ben (http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018JAllen.php) . Paxton Lynch was also compared to Big Ben (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000579335/article/afc-executive-paxton-lynch-similar-to-ben-roethlisberger). Both are big strong kids with big arms. And Allen seems a little more mobile.

If you liked Lynch's ability, I am little surprised you don't like Allen. They seem like similar prospects. 

Fair question. 

Lynch was always a 50-50 guy with half of his game not translating at all, and the other half was big NFL throws into NFL windows... for whatever reason, none of the latter has happened, and we're only seeing the lost, low confidence, no vision side of his game. He's not made any of the big throws that made him so.... tantalizing lol. Sucks, and the opposite of what i was hoping for. 

But Lynch's accuracy was not the mess that Allen's is. too much hackenberg/petty there for my liking. I don't know why that continues to get understated. He's like Derek Anderson out there with more mobility. Lynch's mobility is relative to Allen's and that hasn't helped Paxton at all. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I don't know more broadly than Draft Experts of College Football fans.

I DO know the Jets, their needs, and the choices they should make better than most, and my posting history the past 20 odd years (with some hilarious and entertaining exceptions) proves that out.

As I've said for weeks now, the "hyped guys" have, and ae, changing nearly by the day.  Few days ago, mayfield was barely a 2nd rounder according to Kiper and others.  Today you like me some stuff (including the laughably bad CBS) that he's a Top 10 pick.  Tomorrow it'll change again.

With that said, let me amend what I said:  Till VERY recently, almost no Pro Drafthead one had Mayfield as a 1st Rounder.  He was roundly being described as a high 2nd Rounder.

Heading into the 2015 college football season no one had Carson Wentz as a top 2 pick. Scouts/Draftheads are capable of reacting and adjusting to what they see. Not everyone can predict the future of college kids as well as you can.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Fair question. 

Lynch was always a 50-50 guy with half of his game not translating at all, and the other half was big NFL throws into NFL windows... for whatever reason, none of the latter has happened, and we're only seeing the lost, low confidence, no vision side of his game. He's not made any of the big throws that made him so.... tantalizing lol. Sucks, and the opposite of what i was hoping for. 

But Lynch's accuracy was not the mess that Allen's is. too much hackenberg/petty there for my liking. I don't know why that continues to get understated. He's like Derek Anderson out there with more mobility. Lynch's mobility is relative to Allen's and that hasn't helped Paxton at all. 

Fair enough. Allen seems like your typical, "forget what you've seen from him in college, just trust me he will be great in the NFL" type of prospect. Reminds me a little of EJ Manuel and Christian Ponder. I remember watching those guys in college and thinking, "man, they suck" and then the draft would roll around and some teams just fell in love with the "talent" and ignored the lack of production. 

I'll be watching him next Friday night to see if I can figure out what the scouts are in love with. His "highlight" clips show flashes of what you want in a QB, but his game against Iowa to start the year is etched in my memory...and not in a good way. 

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Heading into the 2015 college football season no one had Carson Wentz as a top 2 pick. Scouts/Draftheads are capable of reacting and adjusting to what they see. Not everyone can predict the future of college kids as well as you can.

ui5g4zNu.jpeg

Archived