NFL Draft QB Breakdown, ESPN

southtown24th

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

yeah, I find it hard to believe Darnold doesn't come out - the number two pick - going to the well respected Giants.  It'll be hard to imagine a better situation for him.

What's the upside to staying? one draft spot?

Downside is tremendous- his stock continues to fall, injury,  end up on the other team in NY?

This is what I was thinking, why risk injury when your draft stock likely won't change.

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Even a better reason enter the draft and get paid, next year more teams may realize his bust potential - he will need to have a great season (not average) to improve his draft status - an average year (for a top pick) will hurt his draft status

Good points.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Sounds like Darnold is staying in school. No way Rosen gets past the Giants or Browns (twice), so the Jets are realistically looking at Lamar Jackson and potentially Josh Allen. Given their track record with developing QBs, they shouldn’t even try to draft either. The bad news is that pick 10 is no-man’s land now because teams like the Colts, Niners, and possibly the Bengals will peel off pass rush and OL help, leaving the Jets looking at the third best rusher, or third best OT. Also means that we’re pretty much guaranteed to land Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith, which is Peak Jets. Consider that the Redskins would effectively be vacating the QB position if they let Cousins walk, and the Jets are going to act like they signed Aaron Rodgers anyway. 

Good morning Mr sunshine!

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If they had any balls, they’d scream “YOLO” and draft Mayfield. Alas, if they’ve demonstrated one thing at all in their three years here, it’s that they have no balls. Mayfield is going to interview like Johnny Drama, which will offend Bowles’ delicate sensibilities, and they’ll pass. 

It’s Mac’s call. **** Bowles. 

8 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

I'm kinda hoping we end up with Baker Mayfield.

Maccagnan has to know he’s realistically got one bullet left. One would have to imagine that the Redskins find a way to sign Cousins, leaving Macc a pre-draft choice between a trade for Alex Smith, picking up Bridgewater or Sam Bradford from the Vikings, or getting absolutely fleeced for someone’s backup.

Failing that, he can re-sign McCown and go into next season with McCown, Hackenberg, and another low-level draft pick or free agent, and then draft their preferred corner or OLT in the first round. Obviously, this would be Maccagnan’s last draft and the end of his career as a GM.

I think, given Bowles’ inability to manage strong-willed players, he’s going to veto any attempt to draft Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson, who will both scare the sh*t out of him and Maccagnan in their interviews. 

Now, were I Macc, I’d be sending John Morton surreptitious texts right now asking him if he likes Jackson or Mayfield and draft whichever one Morton feels like coaching at 10. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Maccagnan has to know he’s realistically got one bullet left. One would have to imagine that the Redskins find a way to sign Cousins, leaving Macc a pre-draft choice between a trade for Alex Smith, picking up Bridgewater or Sam Bradford from the Vikings, or getting absolutely fleeced for someone’s backup.

Failing that, he can re-sign McCown and go into next season with McCown, Hackenberg, and another low-level draft pick or free agent, and then draft their preferred corner or OLT in the first round. Obviously, this would be Maccagnan’s last draft and the end of his career as a GM.

I think, given Bowles’ inability to manage strong-willed players, he’s going to veto any attempt to draft Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson, who will both scare the sh*t out of him and Maccagnan in their interviews. 

Now, were I Macc, I’d be sending John Morton surreptitious texts right now asking him if he likes Jackson or Mayfield and draft whichever one Morton feels like coaching at 10. 

Don't know how you sell ownership to say nothing of the fan base on Cousins, Bridgewater/Bradford or Smith. A young guy could blow up for a time, but you can hope he figures it out. A retread is not an easy sell. These guys have more often than not failed. At some point you have to dare a bit. 

Archived