Combine is coming…who are you watching? JN Radio

JetNation

20 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

But you can honestly just look at the two basic numbers and use common sense as far as other factors. It's not complicated. Completion percentage measures accuracy. Start count is both qualitative (good enough to get and hold onto the job) and sample size. Easy game.

100%.  That's why I laugh when people try to poop on comp % and starts, etc. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

100%.  That's why I laugh when people try to poop on comp % and starts, etc. 

You don’t think there is a lot that goes into comp %?

What style of offense, pro, WC, air raid? A quarter of L Falk’s passes we’re bubble screens. That had to help the old comp % no?

what kind of receivers, are they creating separation, or are a lot of the throws contested.

hows the oline, is the qb constantly under duress?

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

You can either play or you can’t. 

Agreed and then when you add some testing in for specific positions, you can start to really predict exactly who can play vs. who cant.

Too many loafs get picked because of college tape that dont have the athletic ability to be play makers in the NFL. See; Jamall Adams.

14 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

What style of offense, pro, WC, air raid? A quarter of L Falk’s passes we’re bubble screens. That had to help the old comp % no?

what kind of receivers, are they creating separation, or are a lot of the throws contested.

Of course it does.  What's your point? 

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed and then when you add some testing in for specific positions, you can start to really predict exactly who can play vs. who cant.

Too many loafs get picked because of college tape that dont have the athletic ability to be play makers in the NFL. See; Jamall Adams.

See Veron Gholston and a sh*tload of other workout warriors 

56 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Again, these are things that you can account for while also walking and chewing gum and pretending you really want the Jets to win rather than wanting them to lose within your comfort zone.

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

See Veron Gholston and a sh*tload of other workout warriors 

Vernon Gholston had 23 career sacks in college, 30 tackles for loss.  He had 15 sacks his senior year, 2 of them coming against the 1st overall pick, Jake Long.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Vernon Gholston had 23 career sacks in college, 30 tackles for loss.  He had 15 sacks his senior year, 2 of them coming against the 1st overall pick, Jake Long.

Also, as has been pointed out a hundred times, Gholston ran a fast 40 and threw up a bunch of reps but did not perform well at all in the combine drills that are important for pass rushers. That isn't going to stop people from saying workout warrior because they heard a guy say workout warrior on TV so they have to say workout warrior and be one of the cool kids who says workout warrior.

4 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Also, as has been pointed out a hundred times, Gholston ran a fast 40 and threw up a bunch of reps but did not perform well at all in the combine drills that are important for pass rushers. That isn't going to stop people from saying workout warrior because they heard a guy say workout warrior on TV so they have to say workout warrior and be one of the cool kids who says workout warrior.

I thought that was the case but couldnt find his numbers to verify.  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

One sack. Long only gave up one sack all year. And Gholston was one dimensional like McFadden but did good at the combine. Outside of medical stuff the combine is stupid. 

On 2/25/2018 at 2:34 PM, Maxman said:

That won't be useless, we are looking forward to it. Thanks.

Lol, I'm driving up from like 2 in the morning, so if you see someone sleeping in the stands, it's me!  Maybe I can talk to McCagnan at the coffee shop line.  

Yeah, looking forward to seeing the QBs throw, disappointed about the no camera rules and Darnold not throwing.  Need to take some notes.    

14 hours ago, New York Mick said:

One sack. Long only gave up one sack all year. And Gholston was one dimensional like McFadden but did good at the combine. Outside of medical stuff the combine is stupid. 

Ok, point remains, Gholston was a high producer in college who sucked in the pros and if people paid attention to his testing, they would have seen he was a stiff with big muscles who ran fast in a straight line and pushed out a lot of reps but was bad in all the other explosive categories..  He didnt do well at the combine, that's the point. 

Dismissing the combine as if it serves no purpose is just stupid.  Why do that they have if there is no value and why do all the best pass rushers all test out similarly? 

22 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Why not do it?  Why do any of them throw?  Teams want to see you throw, throw.

No, I mean I agree. But just b/c a player decides NOT to throw I'm not going to drop him on my value chart. It's like cutting off my nose to spite my face. I could be passing on a stellar prospect just b/c he didn't throw a football in a controlled environment, with no pads, and zero actual in-game  'circumstances'.  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Ok, point remains, Gholston was a high producer in college who sucked in the pros and if people paid attention to his testing, they would have seen he was a stiff with big muscles who ran fast in a straight line and pushed out a lot of reps but was bad in all the other explosive categories..  He didnt do well at the combine, that's the point. 

Dismissing the combine as if it serves no purpose is just stupid.  Why do that they have if there is no value and why do all the best pass rushers all test out similarly? 

Workout warrior. Combine doesn't matter except medicals. Other things people say on ESPN. Arguing with a parrot is stupid.

21 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Workout warrior. Combine doesn't matter except medicals. Other things people say on ESPN. Arguing with a parrot is stupid.

Don't you find some value in the speed numbers?  I think it is helpful because of the even track/timing.  Pro-day numbers are all over the map.  I have seen 40 times vary by a full second.  In fact, Jamaal Adams pro-day 40 was reported as 4.33, but Gil Brandt had it as an "official" 4.45. 

Personally, I look at a guy having a huge drop in his pro day number as a red flag, but that is just me.  Even the people that love him have to admit that he certainly plays more 4.56 than 4.33. 

*I thought your avatar was a lizard or bug.  It's a parrot?

40 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Don't you find some value in the speed numbers?  I think it is helpful because of the even track/timing.  Pro-day numbers are all over the map.  I have seen 40 times vary by a full second.  In fact, Jamaal Adams pro-day 40 was reported as 4.33, but Gil Brandt had it as an "official" 4.45. 

Personally, I look at a guy having a huge drop in his pro day number as a red flag, but that is just me.  Even the people that love him have to admit that he certainly plays more 4.56 than 4.33. 

*I thought your avatar was a lizard or bug.  It's a parrot?

It's a locust. And sure, there is absolutely value in the speed numbers. Just not that I've ever seen as far as raw 40 times for pass rushers. I do look at adjusted 40 (for mass, not weight like FO speed score) for all positions. And for pass rushers specifically, the agility formulae use the splits as a baseline for evaluating marginal testable change of direction ability as measured by the shuttle and cone.

5 hours ago, JiF said:

The combine is way overrated 

Archived