Combine is coming…who are you watching? JN Radio

JetNation

6 hours ago, New York Mick said:

No one. What they did in 3/4 years in college is the only thing that matters. Unless the nfl turns into a skills only competition.  

I heard a Kiper today say that the Combine will be “really important” for sorting out the top quarterbacks and it was then that I realized 1. He’s not lying, but 2. the NFL is run by outright slapdick morons.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Darnold just dropped value in my books.  He has been my #1 guy all along but if you are afraid to throw a the combine you get a negative mark against you.

I don't care what his agent or handlers tells him.  F'ck that.

I'm glad you are not the Jets GM. I could care less if he throws. I highly doubt its because he is afraid of anything. If there's no reason to do it, and you're confident you will be going #1. Then why do it. 

8 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I'm glad you are not the Jets GM. I could care less if he throws. I highly doubt its because he is afraid of anything. If there's no reason to do it, and you're confident you will be going #1. Then why do it. 

Why not do it?  Why do any of them throw?  Teams want to see you throw, throw.

I love the combine, but obviously there are people that make it way too big of a deal out of it. Usually it's best used to just verify a players value. If a CB is perceived to be a stud, but then runs a super slow 40, that is a major red flag. But if a bad CB runs a 4.3, that doesn't suddenly turn him into a 1st round prospect. 

John Ross jumped up draft boards thanks to a 4.2/40. While he was a good player in college, he was tiny and not that gifted of an all around WR. 

I honestly, see the combine as a totally useless tool in evaluating QBs. A QBs value is in reading defenses and handling pressure. They can all (except for Hackenberg) hit open WRs in stride. 

On 2/25/2018 at 5:59 AM, New York Mick said:

No one. What they did in 3/4 years in college is the only thing that matters. Unless the nfl turns into a skills only competition.  

Disagree...there are historical data measurements that have proven to be very good predictors ie: SPARQ and Lewin.

40 minutes ago, JiF said:

Disagree...there are historical data measurements that have proven to be very good predictors ie: SPARQ and Lewin.

Well, Lewin is just stats. As far as athletic testing, the Waldo numbers for pass rushers, particularly the weight-adjusted jump formula, are elegant af. I came up with a better model for the combined agility number but I forgot it and don't care anymore.

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Well, Lewin is just stats. As far as athletic testing, the Waldo numbers for pass rushers, particularly the weight-adjusted jump formula, are elegant af. I came up with a better model for the combined agility number but I forgot it and don't care anymore.

I thought Lewin combined some testing as well, no?  Cant seem to find the criteria on the interwebz.

5 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

3 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

completely stat driven...could have sworn they used some other measurements.  interesting.

Archived