B/R's Matt Miller Reports Kirk Cousins Is Deciding Between Vikings and Jets

NYJets8

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. The Vikings are offering $90-$91mil guaranteed over three. He’s cashing checks for $90 mil while competing for titles, and god forbid he gets that title, then he becomes a free agent again and now there’s a ring on his resume. He wins the lottery on the front and the back end.

2. In this hypothetical you guarantee Cousins $150 mil...but what happens if the Jets have to cut him, or he’s miserable, or the Jets end up with another top-6 pick next year and they’re in position to draft the next great QB? They’re so locked into Cousins they wouldn’t be able to sit him and they wouldn’t be able to trade him. Kirk signs for 5/$150, that’s it, he’s your quarterback for every snap until 2023. Kirk Cousins.

3. Brady isn’t retiring next year. The Lions and Bears are average-to-bad teams, and the Packers are on the cusp of a full-on rebuild which, coincidentally, they’ll have to do while paying Rodgers more than the Vikings will be paying Cousins. If Cousins is worth $150mm, what is Rodgers worth? 

1.  You went from someone posting Cousins might be or could be signed to a. 3 year deal, for 90 mil guaranteed to the Vikings have made that offer. 

2.  Or hypothetically he could get you $90 mil deal, turn down $150 mil from the Jets and get hurt.  Everyone wants that security, Cousins doesn't.  Sure.

3.  Brady is one player, one team.  I'd take my chances with an aging Brady over the course of a 5 or more year deal. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The prevailing rumor is that Cousins is getting 3/$90 guaranteed. I’m not sure how you’re going to sell Cousins on the idea that Brady “might” retire when Brady himself has said he has no plans to retire. As far as “running”the AFC East, the Jets are by far the worst team in the division, with or without Cousins. 

Why would the Vikes offer him that kind of money?  They could have signed Keenam for half that?  A guy who won 13 reg season games.  What does Cousins bring to the Vikes and how many more wins do they get for all that money?  It guarantees they get to the SB?  That Cousins could have pulled a win out of his ass like Keenam did against NO?  

And to think that the Jets are by far the worst team in the AFCE with Cousins and after spending to their cap is nonsense.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

1.  You went from someone posting Cousins might be or could be signed to a. 3 year deal, for 90 mil guaranteed to the Vikings have made that offer. 

2.  Or hypothetically he could get you $90 mil deal, turn down $150 mil from the Jets and get hurt.  Everyone wants that security, Cousins doesn't.  Sure.

3.  Brady is one player, one team.  I'd take my chances with an aging Brady over the course of a 5 or more year deal. 

Regardless of whether or not Minnesota guarantees all $90 mil, Cousins will pocket the $90 mil unless he has some catastrophic collapse in performance. It’s three years, and he’s not Mike Glennon. In this scenario, where Cousins goes to Minnesota without the guarantee and collapses, man wouldn’t that be fun if he implodes with the Jets and they have him locked into a 5/$150mm deal? That’d be great.

As for the Brady point, we’ve been predicting the Patriots collapse for ten years now and it’s not close to happening. But, again, you’re going to sell Cousins on the fact that 1. Brady *might* retire at some point and that 2. He can’t beat Mitch Trubisky and Matt Stafford, or a rebuilding Packers team featuring Rodgers and Davante Adams?

Why would the Vikes offer him that kind of money?  They could have signed Keenam for half that?  A guy who won 13 reg season games.  What does Cousins bring to the Vikes and how many more wins do they get for all that money?  It guarantees they get to the SB?  That Cousins could have pulled a win out of his ass like Keenam did against NO?  

And to think that the Jets are by far the worst team in the AFCE with Cousins and after spending to their cap is nonsense.  

To summarize:

1. Cousins isn’t worth $90 mil; the Vikings should just sign Keenum!

—But—

2. Cousins is worth $150 mil to the Jets because it makes them a contender!

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly. Also add to the fact that @T0mShane is stating that Brady wont retire. Well, lets say that he doesnt, he's still in his 40's and his arm can also give out on him. I remember Peyton Manning going from being the head of the most prolific offense the NFL has ever seen once season to him barely being able to throw the ball 10 yards the next. Peyton's body clocked out before he actually retired. Same could be with Brady. 

The bottomline is this, I'd take my chances with a 41+ year old Brady that has retirement/declining of performance in his future over a 34 year old Rodgers who's looking at a contract extension, a 30 year old Matt Stafford that has proven that "it wasnt just Megatron" and a guy in Trubisky with upside. I'd also prefer the AFC over the NFC in terms of playoff runs. Look at the QB's in the NFC in general in comparison to the AFC. The NFC has backup QB's that can win SB's against a Brady that will be retiring before the end of a Cousins 5 year contract with the Jets is final. 

And I dont care what anyone says, Putting Cousins on this team will make the Jets better than what the Dolphins or Bills can put on the field. 

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You obviously didnt read the entire response. 

Also, the operative word is "rumor", and The Jets could still guarantee more than 90 million if the Vikings can guarantee that. 

2ndly, if the Vikings guarantee 90 million then all of the talent that they have they wont be keeping which will defeat the purpose. 

I read the whole response, V. I just don’t see how it makes sense that signing Cousins hurts the Vikings ability to stay competitive while at the same time doesn’t hurt the Jets ability to *become* competitive. And in order to accept the argument that AFCE is a cakewalk while the NFCN is a snake pit, I’d have to accept that Mitch Trubisky and Matt Stafford are insurmountable AND Brady is secretly planning to retire in twelve months.

15 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

You would think no amount of money the Jets could throw at him would make him want to 1) NOT play in a dome 8 games a year 2) NOT have the WR's and running game already in place 3) A defense that can get itself off the field and give you ample opportunities to score.

The big issue I have with signing Cousins is this:  IF it was anyone on this board, and you could take a few less million, which if you sign a shorter contract you can make up for on the next one, and you could play with a team with a chance to win, OR you could take more money now and go with a team that probably, in all likelihood, will not challenge for the playoffs for the next 1-2 years, would you not want to win?  And if you don't want to win, and want to just chase the money, are you REALLY worth signing in the first place?  I mean, didn't we learn this lesson with Mo?

Agreed. Could the Jets, in theory, make an offer that’s so overwhelming that Cousins can’t walk away from it? Probably? But why would they do that? 

31 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The more and more I think about it and read the varying opinions about Cousins, I'm leaning towards not wanting him here,  I think the Jets are too far away for his impact to be felt.  He doesn't elevate the players around him like the elite QB's do and needs a good supporting cast, something the Jets don't have right now.  I don't see the point in signing him and watching him win 7 games a year for the next few years.  I'd rather watch a young QB develop during that time until the Jets can actually build a competitive team on both sides of the ball. 

To be fair, I may change my mind tomorrow.

And these are just the QB's we've drafted the past 10 years. How many years/times must we watch a young QB develop when there's no proof that it will produce anything? I'd rather sign a guy who has proven that he's competent at the position on a professional level. I dont understand how the Jets are too far away for his impact to be felt when every season a football team needs a QB. This elite QB talk is overrated, there are only about 3 elite QB's in the league. The rest of these guys are NOT elite. I love Baker Mayfield, but if the jets have the ability to sign a QB in his prime that averages over 4k yards, 65% comp rate and 25 TD's a season, I'll take it because at the end of the day performance trumps potential. Below are all the QB's drafted the past decade. 

Bryce_Petty.jpg

christian-hackenberg-061517-getty-ftr-us

200px-Geno_Smith_at_Jets_training_camp.J

220px-Sanchez2011.jpg

gallery_5331_96_152340.jpg

10411368-large.jpg

09000d5d81f22dfb.jpeg

8 minutes ago, prime21 said:

A @TOmShane and @Villiain the Foe debate is all i need for the rest of the day.

giphy.gif

I need to be careful, I may say something that will be a relevant point today but give folks the opportunity to necropost what I said 2 years from today with complete dismissal of what the situation is today. :-) 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

And these are just the QB's we've drafted the past 10 years. How many years/times must we watch a young QB develop when there's no proof that it will produce anything? I'd rather sign a guy who has proven that he's competent at the position on a professional level. I dont understand how the Jets are too far away for his impact to be felt when every season a football team needs a QB. This elite QB talk is overrated, there are only about 3 elite QB's in the league. The rest of these guys are NOT elite. I love Baker Mayfield, but if the jets have the ability to sign a QB in his prime that averages over 4k yards, 65% comp rate and 25 TD's a season, I'll take it because at the end of the day performance trumps potential. Below are all the QB's drafted the past decade. 

Bryce_Petty.jpg

220px-Sanchez2011.jpg

10411368-large.jpg

09000d5d81f22dfb.jpeg

Drafting QB's isn't an exact science and the Jets have obviously done a very poor job with it historically, but that doesn't mean that they can't get it right this time.  Cousins is a darn good QB, but hes going to come to a team that is more or less like the Redskins where he had a losing record with 50+ starts under his belt.  He's just not the guy I would go all in on.  He's got great stats but isn't the type of QB that carries his team on his back, and with the Jets lack of talent, he'd need to do a lot of heavy lifting.  I' would much rather roll the dice on another young QB and hope he's the franchise QB we've been looking for forever and build a young exciting team around him.  Selfishly speaking, I'd rather root for Baker Mayfield or any of the other top college QB's over Kirk Cousins.    

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I read the whole response, V. I just don’t see how it makes sense that signing Cousins hurts the Vikings ability to stay competitive while at the same time doesn’t hurt the Jets ability to *become* competitive. And in order to accept the argument that AFCE is a cakewalk while the NFCN is a snake pit, I’d have to accept that Mitch Trubisky and Matt Stafford are insurmountable AND Brady is secretly planning to retire in twelve months.

I agree with this ^^^^^

All im saying is this, and I think that these points are logical. 

#1. The Vikings are most likely not going to fully guarantee a contract. 

#2. Kirk understands that this is a business, and seeing the way he's been treated by the Skins I think it's safe to say that getting a long term contract as well as the most money guaranteed secures him professionally as well as his family. 

#3. The Vikes signing Kirk makes them a more competitive team, all im saying is that Rodgers will be there the entire time along with the NFC North being a tougher division given the QB's in that division. The the Jets/AFC East, there is only a 41 year old Brady that will ultimately succumb to retirement or deterioration of skills....with the Bills and Dolphins. 

All im saying brother is if I was Kirk and I had to chose between less guaranteed money playing for a better team in Aaron Rodgers division and could lose key players over the next couple years, or more guaranteed money playing for a rebuilding team playing in a division where I will be the best QB in it in a year (or two) with the amount of Picks the Jets have this year and the Jets still having a boat load of cash next season along with an overall longer contract, I would strongly consider the jets offer. I wont say that I'd take it, but im not going to sit here and pretend like the Vikings got this in the bag either. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Drafting QB's isn't an exact science and the Jets have obviously done a very poor job with it historically, but that doesn't mean that they can't get it right this time.  Cousins is a darn good QB, but hes going to come to a team that is more or less like the Redskins where he had a losing record with 50+ starts under his belt.  He's just not the guy I would go all in on.  He's got great stats but isn't the type of QB that carries his team on his back, and with the Jets lack of talent, he'd need to do a lot of heavy lifting.  I' would much rather roll the dice on another young QB and hope he's the franchise QB we've been looking for forever and build a young exciting team around him.  Selfishly speaking, I'd rather root for Baker Mayfield or any of the other top college QB's over Kirk Cousins.    

EXACTLY! 

Which is why you take performance over potential. Yet guys continue to talk themselves out of taking the performance in order to draft a guy when it's obvious that it isnt an exact science. 

It's the most difficult position, yet if you can get a guy that can perform then you can use those draft picks to build around him which would be much easier than finding the guy and hoping that you got a coaching staff that can actually develop him. 

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Bryce_Petty.jpg

220px-Sanchez2011.jpg

10411368-large.jpg

09000d5d81f22dfb.jpeg

ALmost forgot about Erik Ainge...man, we can pick em....also, at what point Is it that its the guys who are coaching and training them for the NFL game?  Guys like Sanchez were highly touted, and at one point people talked about geno going number 1 overall.  We are a team that has a defensive philosophy in an offensive game.  We need an offensive minded head coach.  Look that did for a guy like goff.

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

EXACTLY! 

Which is why you take performance over potential. 

Despite this being the Jets we're talking about, past performance is not an indicator of future results.

Drafting a QB would  excite the fan base and give us hope.  Signing another veteran QB, no matter how shiny his stats are, will not, especially when he has to go to battle with a very incomplete team.

56 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The more and more I think about it and read the varying opinions about Cousins, I'm leaning towards not wanting him here,  I think the Jets are too far away for his impact to be felt.  He doesn't elevate the players around him like the elite QB's do and needs a good supporting cast, something the Jets don't have right now.  I don't see the point in signing him and watching him win 7 games a year for the next few years.  I'd rather watch a young QB develop during that time until the Jets can actually build a competitive team on both sides of the ball. 

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I agree with this ^^^^^

All im saying is this, and I think that these points are logical. 

#1. The Vikings are most likely not going to fully guarantee a contract. 

#2. Kirk understands that this is a business, and seeing the way he's been treated by the Skins I think it's safe to say that getting a long term contract as well as the most money guaranteed secures him professionally as well as his family. 

#3. The Vikes signing Kirk makes them a more competitive team, all im saying is that Rodgers will be there the entire time along with the NFC North being a tougher division given the QB's in that division. The the Jets/AFC East, there is only a 41 year old Brady that will ultimately succumb to retirement or deterioration of skills....with the Bills and Dolphins. 

All im saying brother is if I was Kirk and I had to chose between less guaranteed money playing for a better team in Aaron Rodgers division and could lose key players over the next couple years, or more guaranteed money playing for a rebuilding team playing in a division where I will be the best QB in it in a year (or two) with the amount of Picks the Jets have this year and the Jets still having a boat load of cash next season along with an overall longer contract, I would strongly consider the jets offer. I wont say that I'd take it, but im not going to sit here and pretend like the Vikings got this in the bag either. 

That’s fair. And I think if it comes down to Kirk accepting an additional year at $30 mil to come to the Jets, he’ll have to think about it, but I can’t imagine him putting that much faith in Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles to build a competitive team around him. I mean, Kirk has access to Google. He can look up the transactions/draft history here. He’s got the same agent as McCown. He’ll know what he’s trading for that extra year.

5 minutes ago, usanyj said:

ALmost forgot about Erik Ainge...man, we can pick em....also, at what point Is it that its the guys who are coaching and training them for the NFL game?  Guys like Sanchez were highly touted, and at one point people talked about geno going number 1 overall.  We are a team that has a defensive philosophy in an offensive game.  We need an offensive minded head coach.  Look that did for a guy like goff.

This^^^^

Most of us talk crap about Sanchez and Geno, but during the draft process many of us wanted these guys, and for good reason. But as stated, the draft is a crap shoot and its rare that we get QB's that are so damn good coming out of college that they are considered "safe picks". If Sam Darnold came out last year he'd probably would have went 1st overall. 1 year later this guy is simply a top 10 pick. All of these guys, including my favorite QB all have issues with their game and need to be developed. 

None of these guys are "Andrew Luck plug and play" guys. Also, one of these late round QB's are probably going to hit that everyone and their mother is disregarding. 

Many folks talk about wanting to just develop a guy, but once Jets fans have a Kirk Cousins type performer on the roster that is actually playing like that then the story will shift. What those folks really mean is that they want to hold on to the hope that drafting a guy will turn into getting an "elite" QB. Think about it, everytime we see folks say to pass on Kirk, one of the first things we hear is how he's not "Elite", yet they will turn and say draft a guy...who in all reality could be a bust and has no history in the league. Some folks dismiss Cousins but will rather sign Josh Allen, a guy who barely average a 56% completion rate and cant even throw for 4,000 yards on the college level. 

All im saying is that Signing Cousins and being able to have a top 6 pick in this draft is extremely valuable and is an immediate upgrade to this team. 

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s fair. And I think if it comes down to Kirk accepting an additional year at $30 mil to come to the Jets, he’ll have to think about it, but I can’t imagine him putting that much faith in Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles to build a competitive team around him. I mean, Kirk has access to Google. He can look up the transactions/draft history here. He’s got the same agent as McCown. He’ll know what he’s trading for that extra year.

This is true. But he can also google the rest of this division too. Kirk is coming from the NFC East, a division that is practically a crap shoot every year because the teams are for the most part, all talented and have quarterbacks. It's similar to the NFC North. The Vikings are stacked, but the Packers have Aaron freaking Rodgers. Rodgers is one of the 3 elite QB's in this league....in his prime brother. I mean, I dont have to go down the line, we know the QB's in this division. 

Kirk Cousins going to the Jets means that the Dolphins, Bills and soon Patriots will have to go to the Draft to get a franchise QB. In otherwords, they're going to have to "hit" on that QB. It's rare to have a Kirk Cousins in free agency. So, it's a very good chance, that even if a team hits on a QB, it's not likely that all 3 teams will. It's also not likely that the QB will be able to produce on a Kirk Cousins level immediately. 

Kirk will be by himself in this division. If you're talking trying to get another pay day, what better situation could you be in as a 29 year old? Disregard us being Jets fans for a second, and lets look from the outside. Imagine Kirk signing a 5 year deal and making the playoffs (and winning a couple games) 4 out of his 5 years. He will be the best QB in Jets history, he would have done this in the media center of the world, and he would be just 34 years old when the next contract comes around...which is the same age as Rodgers is today. 

Signing on as a Viking can make that team one of the best teams top to bottom on paper, but on a football field, Rodgers could destroy that opportunity every single season. EVERY single season. 

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Regardless of whether or not Minnesota guarantees all $90 mil, Cousins will pocket the $90 mil unless he has some catastrophic collapse in performance. It’s three years, and he’s not Mike Glennon. In this scenario, where Cousins goes to Minnesota without the guarantee and collapses, man wouldn’t that be fun if he implodes with the Jets and they have him locked into a 5/$150mm deal? That’d be great.

As for the Brady point, we’ve been predicting the Patriots collapse for ten years now and it’s not close to happening. But, again, you’re going to sell Cousins on the fact that 1. Brady *might* retire at some point and that 2. He can’t beat Mitch Trubisky and Matt Stafford, or a rebuilding Packers team featuring Rodgers and Davante Adams?

And if he blows a knee out ala Bridgewater he loses big money.  Or if the cap doesn't continue to rise at this rate.  

I'd take almost double the money over less than double the years.  More money and security?  

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

To summarize:

1. Cousins isn’t worth $90 mil; the Vikings should just sign Keenum!

—But—

2. Cousins is worth $150 mil to the Jets because it makes them a contender!

Pretty much, yeah.  He doesn't add as. Ugh to the Vikes as he would to the Jets.  It's not a tough concept to understand.  Tell us, how many more wins would Cousins have added to the 13 win Vikes?  Now to the 5 win Jets?  Hard to understand? 

54 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Exactly. Also add to the fact that @T0mShane is stating that Brady wont retire. Well, lets say that he doesnt, he's still in his 40's and his arm can also give out on him. I remember Peyton Manning going from being the head of the most prolific offense the NFL has ever seen once season to him barely being able to throw the ball 10 yards the next. Peyton's body clocked out before he actually retired. Same could be with Brady. 

The bottomline is this, I'd take my chances with a 41+ year old Brady that has retirement/declining of performance in his future over a 34 year old Rodgers who's looking at a contract extension, a 30 year old Matt Stafford that has proven that "it wasnt just Megatron" and a guy in Trubisky with upside. I'd also prefer the AFC over the NFC in terms of playoff runs. Look at the QB's in the NFC in general in comparison to the AFC. The NFC has backup QB's that can win SB's against a Brady that will be retiring before the end of a Cousins 5 year contract with the Jets is final. 

And I dont care what anyone says, Putting Cousins on this team will make the Jets better than what the Dolphins or Bills can put on the field. 

The fish are said to be looking at drafting a QB.  The Bills are looking at anyone but their QB to be there next season.  But the Jets with Cousins and 100 mil to spend won't be in their class.  OK

23 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Cousins agent most likely just abusing the NYJ to coerce Vikes into upping their offer.

Macc is easy pickings for astute front office personnel and agents to manipulate.

The Vikings dont have the cap space. I think it would be the other way around. Cousins agent would probably tell the Jets to either Jump out the window on the contract or we'd rather take less money to sign with a contender. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

The Vikings dont have the cap space. I think it would be the other way around. Cousins agent would probably tell the Jets to either Jump out the window on the contract or we'd rather take less money to sign with a contender. 

Yeah the question is whether the Vikings even want to play that game at all

The fish are said to be looking at drafting a QB.  The Bills are looking at anyone but their QB to be there next season.  But the Jets with Cousins and 100 mil to spend won't be in their class.  OK

Im not sure if you're agreeing with my position or not. 

To quickly reiterate. IMO The Jets signing Kirk could put the Jets in a much better position immediately than the Dolphins and Bills.... and the Patriots longer term. 

The Dolphins/Bills can knock themselves out, and maybe they hit on a QB. But again, it's about performance over potential. Kirks performance is good enough to win with. No, you wont win with it by himself, but it's a managers job to build a team...and one of the core pieces...if not, the most important piece is the QB. For once we wont have that piece as an issue. 

I'd take that scenario and work on building around him. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This is true. But he can also google the rest of this division too. Kirk is coming from the NFC East, a division that is practically a crap shoot every year because the teams are for the most part, all talented and have quarterbacks. It's similar to the NFC North. The Vikings are stacked, but the Packers have Aaron freaking Rodgers. Rodgers is one of the 3 elite QB's in this league....in his prime brother. I mean, I dont have to go down the line, we know the QB's in this division. 

Kirk Cousins going to the Jets means that the Dolphins, Bills and soon Patriots will have to go to the Draft to get a franchise QB. In otherwords, they're going to have to "hit" on that QB. It's rare to have a Kirk Cousins in free agency. So, it's a very good chance, that even if a team hits on a QB, it's not likely that all 3 teams will. It's also not likely that the QB will be able to produce on a Kirk Cousins level immediately. 

Kirk will be by himself in this division. If you're talking trying to get another pay day, what better situation could you be in as a 29 year old? Disregard us being Jets fans for a second, and lets look from the outside. Imagine Kirk signing a 5 year deal and making the playoffs (and winning a couple games) 4 out of his 5 years. He will be the best QB in Jets history, he would have done this in the media center of the world, and he would be just 34 years old when the next contract comes around...which is the same age as Rodgers is today. 

Signing on as a Viking can make that team one of the best teams top to bottom on paper, but on a football field, Rodgers could destroy that opportunity every single season. EVERY single season. 

My brother, Tom Brady wants to play until he’s 50. He has said this. He has that stupid TB12 diet and is protected from on high by the League office. I don’t see his eventual absence as any sort of a realistic selling point. You know who’s openly talked about retirement, though? Aaron Rodgers. If you wanted to project best case scenarios for Cousins as it relates to division opponents, Rodgers is turning 35 this year he’s about to lose Cobb and Jordy Nelson. The Lions just hired a Pats assistant to be their head coach. The Bears are the Bears. I don’t think AFCE vs NFCN is a good argument until the ink is dry on Brady’s retirement papers. 

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Pretty much, yeah.  He doesn't add as. Ugh to the Vikes as he would to the Jets.  It's not a tough concept to understand.  Tell us, how many more wins would Cousins have added to the 13 win Vikes?  Now to the 5 win Jets?  Hard to understand? 

This is some galaxy brain stuff right here, boy.

32 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

That's if we assume he has any genuine interest in coming to NY.

Lets assume he doesn't. (I don't believe he has any desire to come here)

Would that prevent his agent from using the Jets as pawns in their quest for the most money they can squeeze from the Vikes?

Not like it has never happened to the Jets before right ?

Also, this guy has made like 40-50 mill already and is already set for life (he isnt the type to go broke after his career) so his quality of life, indoor venue, SB ready team and so on is a big lure for a guy like him.

27 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not sure if you're agreeing with my position or not. 

To quickly reiterate. IMO The Jets signing Kirk could put the Jets in a much better position immediately than the Dolphins and Bills.... and the Patriots longer term. 

The Dolphins/Bills can knock themselves out, and maybe they hit on a QB. But again, it's about performance over potential. Kirks performance is good enough to win with. No, you wont win with it by himself, but it's a managers job to build a team...and one of the core pieces...if not, the most important piece is the QB. For once we wont have that piece as an issue. 

I'd take that scenario and work on building around him. 

No, we're in total agreement.  It's not only the Jets getting Kirk, it's also the additions they're about to make to the roster.  

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My brother, Tom Brady wants to play until he’s 50. He has said this. He has that stupid TB12 diet and is protected from on high by the League office. I don’t see his eventual absence as any sort of a realistic selling point. You know who’s openly talked about retirement, though? Aaron Rodgers. If you wanted to project best case scenarios for Cousins as it relates to division opponents, Rodgers is turning 35 this year he’s about to lose Cobb and Jordy Nelson. The Lions just hired a Pats assistant to be their head coach. The Bears are the Bears. I don’t think AFCE vs NFCN is a good argument until the ink is dry on Brady’s retirement papers. 

I agree, I dont think the AFCE vs NFCN is a good argument. 

Both divisions have elite QB's though 1 wants to play until he's 50 but it really depends on his body while the other is 34 years old. One division has Matt Stafford and a young Trubisky while the other has........crickets. 

Aaron Rodgers can lose both Cobb and Nelson, why? Because both showed that they dont perform unless Rodgers is on the field. That goes to show who's the important one of the group. 

Tom Brady wants to play until he's 50, but he wont. You say he wants to play until he's 50, I say that Tom will retire the end of the 2019 season. We can make a wager of it. I say a wager of signatures or avatars. The winner gets to chose what goes into the others sig box or avatar area. 

Either way, The jets from a financial standpoint have a much better chance of signing Cousins. 

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is some galaxy brain stuff right here, boy.

If you have a hard time understanding the idea that it's hard to add as much to a 13 win team who went to the NFCCG as to a 5 won team that's on you

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. You’re going to give Kirk $50 million in year one of a six year deal that pays him, what, $180 million over six years? For Kirk Cousins?

2. And Kirk is taking this bait because you’re promising him you’ll try to sign Sammy Watkins and Allen Robinson? And the guy promising to build this amazing fuftureteam around him is Mike Maccagnan? But it’s only the Vikings that are going to run out of money because of this contract?

I mean, what the pitch? “Kirk, the Vikings are going to have to pay a lot of talented players soon, but we’re so talent poor you can basically have all our money for six years because there’s literally no one worth paying.”

-or-

3. He takes the 3/$90 from the Vikings on a team that’s ready to compete immediately, where he can even the difference maker in them competing for a ring next year and the year after? 

+ DOME

Archived