Top 10 QB prospects of past 3 NFL draft classes

prime21

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922045/article/top-10-qb-prospects-of-past-3-nfl-draft-classes-darnold-no-1

Thought this was a good read with the ranking of the QB's over the past 3 years according to Daniel Jeremiah.  Darnold possibly being better than Wentz is the reason why Cleveland should take him with the 1st pick.

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  
Print
  • 2012_Jeremiah-65x90.jpg
  • By Daniel Jeremiah
  • NFL Media analyst
  •  

I always believe it's helpful during the evaluation process to rank the current group of prospects among the players at the position from the previous two drafts. I recently looked up the grades I gave to the quarterbacks in the '16 and '17 draft classes and I slotted them in with this year's crop of talent. Here's the order I have them in based on their draft grade.

1) Sam Darnold, USC
Draft class: 2018
The skinny: I had very similar draft grades on each of the top four players on this list. However, I gave Darnold a slightly higher grade than Carson Wentzbecause of his durability and level of competition from college.

2) Carson Wentz, North Dakota State
Draft class: 2016; second overall pick, Philadelphia Eagles 
The skinny: Wentz had an ideal skill set coming out of NDSU. His ability to drive the ball accurately and create with his legs made him a special prospect.

3) Josh Rosen, UCLA
The skinny: Rosen is the best pure passer in this time frame (2016-2018). His motion, footwork and arm talent are off the charts.

4) Jared Goff, Cal
Draft class: 2016; first overall pick, Los Angeles Rams 
The skinny: Goff was very smooth and accurate at Cal. He was an effortless thrower and you've seen that carry over to the NFL.

5) Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
The skinny: Mayfield is the shortest member of this group (measured in at 6-foot 5/8 and 215 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine), but I gave him a strong grade based on his touch, playmaking ability and toughness.

6) Josh Allen, Wyoming
The skinny: Allen was an inconsistent performer at Wyoming, but his good moments are incredibly impressive. He is very capable of outplaying my draft grade.

7) Deshaun Watson, Clemson
Draft class: 2017; 12th overall pick, Houston Texans 
The skinny: I had Watson as my highest-rated quarterback in last year's class, but based on early returns, I was way too low with my grade. I had concerns with his accuracy and decision making, but he cleaned up both areas last fall. He was off to a remarkable start as a rookie before suffering an ACL tear in November.

8) Mitchell Trubisky, North Carolina
Draft class: 2017; second overall pick, Chicago Bears 
The skinny: I loved Trubisky's talent, but he had a very small sample size of production. He was a full-time starter for only one year at UNC, but his upside was tremendous.

9) DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame
Draft class: 2017; 52nd overall pick (Round 2), Cleveland Browns 
The skinny: I had a big grade on Kizer heading into his final year at Notre Dame, but he struggled mightily to maintain that level of play. I ended up dropping his grade prior to the 2017 draft and he landed in a really tough spot in Cleveland. He was rushed into action before he was ready to play, and the results weren't pretty. Now, he's getting a fresh start after being traded to the Green Bay Packers earlier this month.

10) Paxton Lynch, Memphis
Draft class: 2016; 26th overall pick, Denver Broncos 
The skinny: Lynch was a polarizing player coming out of Memphis. His size, arm talent and athleticism were enticing, but I had concerns about the adjustment he would have to make from his college offense to an NFL system.

14 minutes ago, 19andOhWait said:

feels like we're destined for one of the Josh's

please let it be Rosen 

I think we will wind up with Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield.

I refuse to believe we would trade up to #3 to draft a guy with a 56% career completion percentage in Allen.

Even Darnold scares me a little bit - just because he is from USC and USC does not have a strong history of producing Franchise QB's....Carson Palmer is probably the best to have come out of USC that I can think of - and even Palmer has had very little NFL Post season/Playoff success - not to mention that he had a pretty well-documented injury history.

A good read, thanks, Jermiah's podcast with Bucky Brooks is a great listen. Injury history at college should be a bigger factor, me thinks. Players with a history of injuries at college often echo it in the pros.

1 minute ago, Gangrene said:

A good read, thanks, Jermiah's podcast with Bucky Brooks is a great listen. Injury history at college should be a bigger factor, me thinks. Players with a history of injuries at college often echo it in the pros.

Yup, i think minus the injuries Rosen is far superior than the other 3. Some guys are just naturally more durable than others and ending up with a more talented sam bradford/chad pennington at 3 just means we have a better football player waving a towel on the sideline.

I still think you take him and introduce him to Tom Brady's HGH supplier

5 hours ago, prime21 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922045/article/top-10-qb-prospects-of-past-3-nfl-draft-classes-darnold-no-1

Thought this was a good read with the ranking of the QB's over the past 3 years according to Daniel Jeremiah.  Darnold possibly being better than Wentz is the reason why Cleveland should take him with the 1st pick.

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  
Print
  • By Daniel Jeremiah
  • NFL Media analyst
  •  

I always believe it's helpful during the evaluation process to rank the current group of prospects among the players at the position from the previous two drafts. I recently looked up the grades I gave to the quarterbacks in the '16 and '17 draft classes and I slotted them in with this year's crop of talent. Here's the order I have them in based on their draft grade.

1) Sam Darnold, USC
The skinny: I had very similar draft grades on each of the top four players on this list. However, I gave Darnold a slightly higher grade than Carson Wentzbecause of his durability and level of competition from college.

The skinny: Wentz had an ideal skill set coming out of NDSU. His ability to drive the ball accurately and create with his legs made him a special prospect.

3) Josh Rosen, UCLA
The skinny: Rosen is the best pure passer in this time frame (2016-2018). His motion, footwork and arm talent are off the charts.

4) Jared Goff, Cal
The skinny: Goff was very smooth and accurate at Cal. He was an effortless thrower and you've seen that carry over to the NFL.

The skinny: Mayfield is the shortest member of this group (measured in at 6-foot 5/8 and 215 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine), but I gave him a strong grade based on his touch, playmaking ability and toughness.

6) Josh Allen, Wyoming
The skinny: Allen was an inconsistent performer at Wyoming, but his good moments are incredibly impressive. He is very capable of outplaying my draft grade.

The skinny: I had Watson as my highest-rated quarterback in last year's class, but based on early returns, I was way too low with my grade. I had concerns with his accuracy and decision making, but he cleaned up both areas last fall. He was off to a remarkable start as a rookie before suffering an ACL tear in November.

The skinny: I loved Trubisky's talent, but he had a very small sample size of production. He was a full-time starter for only one year at UNC, but his upside was tremendous.

The skinny: I had a big grade on Kizer heading into his final year at Notre Dame, but he struggled mightily to maintain that level of play. I ended up dropping his grade prior to the 2017 draft and he landed in a really tough spot in Cleveland. He was rushed into action before he was ready to play, and the results weren't pretty. Now, he's getting a fresh start after being traded to the Green Bay Packers earlier this month.

The skinny: Lynch was a polarizing player coming out of Memphis. His size, arm talent and athleticism were enticing, but I had concerns about the adjustment he would have to make from his college offense to an NFL system.

So 3 of the Top 5 QB prospects from the last three years are in this Draft?  Criticizing Macc's move up to #3 this year is becoming increasingly hard to do.

And, look at his comments on Watson.  His grade on Watson was low because of accuracy and decision-making concerns (similar to Allen this year) but Watson "cleaned up both areas last fall."  Are those of us who are criticizing Allen saying that he can't similarly improve his footwork and clean up his issues?

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

So 3 of the Top 5 QB prospects from the last three years are in this Draft?  Criticizing Macc's move up to #3 this year is becoming increasingly hard to do.

I agree with you.  Especially ranking them in front of Watson who we saw was very good before getting hurt.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I gotta be honest, I'm getting to where I would prefer Allen over Rosen.

Somebody has to, lol.  In all seriousness though, I have the other 3 ahead of him as far as who I want but I am happy regardless because one of them will be our hopeful franchise QB for the next 10+ years.   

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Are those of us who are criticizing Allen saying that he can't similarly improve his footwork and clean up his issues?

No. What they're saying is they don't want to wait for him to clean up his issues. Neither do I. Rosen and Mayfield probably have the shortest learning curve to success. 

8 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

No. What they're saying is they don't want to wait for him to clean up his issues. Neither do I. Rosen and Mayfield probably have the shortest learning curve to success. 

I agree.  But I also have a long term perspective.  I'd rather have a QB who will be 9.0 on a 1-10 scale for 12 years after he sat his first season than an 8.5 guy for 13 -14 years.  I'm not "all in" for 2018 and would be perfectly fine watching Bridgewater start for a year if we had a guy who would really benefit from a year of watching and learning.

8 hours ago, prime21 said:

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  
Print
  • By Daniel Jeremiah
  • NFL Media analyst
  •  

1) Sam Darnold, USC

3) Josh Rosen, UCLA

4) Jared Goff, Cal

6) Josh Allen, Wyoming

Now that’s some interesting shit right there! OP got board cred for that. 

Archived