The GAS (Music Gear) Thread

10 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Now I’m hearing talk that they may not even allow local gigs in NJ for upwards of a year. Terrifying.!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Wow

Can't even have jams or band practice. Going to have to start all over again

Time to learn the darn equipment, write some music and make some CD's

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 4/10/2020 at 8:05 PM, Snell41 said:

I have a flight case board that breaks my back for gigs. This will sound nuts, I genuinely wish I could carry it right now to a gig. I’d never complain about carrying it again.

We were supposed to play Saturday night after a 9 month lay off. Smaller venue and as much as I'm itching to play - all I could think about was the sardine can that place usually is and how frightening that would be today till we get some things in place. And we will.

Not exactly gear related, although I guess a bottleneck slide could qualify.  To pass some of the time at home, I've been fooling around with learning/playing slide guitar.  

Have experimented with both open E and open G tunings.  Think I like open G better.  Noodling around the third, fifth, seventh and 12 frets, plus the octave higher at the 15 and 17.  After a week or so, today was the best I've played as well as felt the most comfortable and in tune. lol  Finally got the intonation point at the fret right.

Any tips for a slide novice?

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Not exactly gear related, although I guess a bottleneck slide could qualify.  To pass some of the time at home, I've been fooling around with learning/playing slide guitar.  

Have experimented with both open E and open G tunings.  Think I like open G better.  Noodling around the third, fifth, seventh and 12 frets, plus the octave higher at the 15 and 17.  After a week or so, today was the best I've played as well as felt the most comfortable and in tune. lol  Finally got the intonation point at the fret right.

Any tips for a slide novice?

Okey doke, going to surprise here and weigh in ...

Glass not metal? Totally different sound but the metal doesn't break when it drops on your drummer's basement floor

Standard tuning and the same scales you use otherwise also works on solos. That way you can go back and forth easily. Paul Gilbert has a slide magnetically attached to his pickguard and goes back and forth with it. Very kewl. 

Try the usual effects. Delay, OD/distortion, compression and reverb goes nicely, Harder to control, just make sure you dampen the strings with your first finger behind the slide. Don't forget vibrato (hand, not the effect pedal), covers lots of mistakes.

Also try the acoustic, Totally different vibe.

Hard isn't it? You have to be right on the fret after so many years of playing right behind it.  

I am starting to think that this guitar thing might be some fun :) 

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Okey doke, going to surprise here and weigh in ...

Glass not metal? Totally different sound but the metal doesn't break when it drops on your drummer's basement floor

Standard tuning and the same scales you use otherwise also works on solos. That way you can go back and forth easily. Paul Gilbert has a slide magnetically attached to his pickguard and goes back and forth with it. Very kewl. 

Try the usual effects. Delay, OD/distortion, compression and reverb goes nicely, Harder to control, just make sure you dampen the strings with your first finger behind the slide. Don't forget vibrato (hand, not the effect pedal), covers lots of mistakes.

Also try the acoustic, Totally different vibe.

Hard isn't it? You have to be right on the fret after so many years of playing right behind it.  

I am starting to think that this guitar thing might be some fun :) 

Thanks for your words of wisdom, TCK.  Funny you mention acoustic.  It's all I've been using.  Guess I'm going for an old school, Robert Johnson vibe.  lol  Will eventually try slide on one of my electrics.  Also going with a D'Addario glass slide which I got as gift last year.

Most difficult part part was experimenting with different fingers (something my wife has appreciated over the years).  Just could not get comfortable with the slide on my pinky.  Felt the best on my middle finger (homage to Bonnie Raitt) but that made chords and fingerings impossible.  

Right now, slide on my forefinger seems to be the way to go. Also getting better with moving the fingers behind the slide in unison to dampen and minimize noise.  That will take some practice. And I was most psyched yesterday when I finally got the right placement at the fret for proper intonation.  

Have been learning a few tunes from YouTube:  "Traveling Riverside Blues", "Jesus Left Chicago" and "In My Time of Dying".  But mainly just noodling around I-IV-V blues stuff.  

Thanks again.

• Upvote 1

BARGAIN ALERT !

ProAudioStar is selling DOD Rubbernecks, a reportedly nice analog delay for $120. Sweetwater, NF and others have it for $270. Harmon, DOD's parent the same. Used they go for $140-160 or so.

PAS has them for $120

Had to order just on price and rep on this one. Guess I can always recoup on Reverb if I don't like it.

DODRubberNeck.jpg.c21b7c65c77f9a795347af5f1999fcde.jpg 

I know Crimson will appreciate this one from one of the original pedal/gear masters, Robin Trower.  Other than Hendrix, no one ever blew me away with his sound/tone, especially the spacey tape delays and long sweeps.  Okay, maybe Jeff Beck, too.  Bridge of Signs still has you shaking your head as to how they thought of that sound and executed it so perfectly.

• Post of the Week 1

Of course, absolutely love Trower, his playing and his tone. Major thanks for posting this. 

He is huge on the Fulltone line (as you can see) and has Mike Fuller mod them personally. In fact of you look at the Fulltone website, there are some models based on the pedals he made for Trower that he added to his line. The Wah Ful is one. The Marshall and Strats don't hurt either !

I think there is some sort of sale going on at Fulltone if you buy direct. I love his Clyde wah and actually use it. Got a couple of Fulldrives somewhere in the shelves too. Every so often I rotate in an OCD V2. I think someone here was unhappy with that OD though. 

I actually like his tone on one of the Procol Harum albums better. This is before he became enamored with Hendrix. That album is Home (Piggy Pig Pig, Whaling Stories, Whiskey Train, etc). PH was never the same once he left.

Mr. T is not a kid anymore but still tours and still brings it

• Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Of course, absolutely love Trower, his playing and his tone. Major thanks for posting this. 

He is huge on the Fulltone line (as you can see) and has Mike Fuller mod them personally. In fact of you look at the Fulltone website, there are some models based on the pedals he made for Trower that he added to his line. The Wah Ful is one. The Marshall and Strats don't hurt either !

I think there is some sort of sale going on at Fulltone if you buy direct. I love his Clyde wah and actually use it. Got a couple of Fulldrives somewhere in the shelves too. Every so often I rotate in an OCD V2. I think someone here was unhappy with that OD though. 

I actually like his tone on one of the Procol Harum albums better. This is before he became enamored with Hendrix. That album is Home (Piggy Pig Pig, Whaling Stories, Whiskey Train, etc). PH was never the same once he left.

Mr. T is not a kid anymore but still tours and still brings it

Some day, take us on the three day video tour of your gear stash.  Good lord you have everything imaginable.  Kudos.

Love your words on Trower with PH.  Definitely had so much more of a blues vibe.  The video below showcases his chops for sure.  Think I remember hearing that "concert" live on the radio (WPLJ) back in '71.

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

My 3 acoustic Guitars...  Taylor 810, 1997

Furch   Dreadnought. Boght from a Guiatr player in Nasheville who is currently in Lone Canyon Rangers with Steve martin

My Seagull that I bought at a pawn shop for $300 in Charleston

17992132_10212673758987290_5057230658999749621_n.jpg.d86fbee2f357ca2f7abbed07e10911e7.jpg

Nice guitars.  That Taylor looks sweet.  

And you got quite a buy on the Seagull.  I love Godin guitars.  Had one of his mid-priced Norman guitars in the early 90s (think I paid like $325 all set up at my guitar shop).  I'd stack that up to many other brands that you'd pay a grand or more.  All his lines are well built.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Just popped up on my YouTube recommendations.  Nice sounding pedal, especially thru the Friedman head. Crimson, I know you'll say you have like 12 of these. lol

Would love to have all those amp heads to play around with.

Vibe and Fuzz in one box !??!?!? and by one of my favorite pedal makers ?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

AND it's purple !!!!!!!

How did I not see this one before. They are already on V2

I think I'm gonna cry and when I stop, I am going to be $150 poorer , but then again that's only $75 per pedal !

(wiping tears from face)

--------------------------------------

Demos sound great with single coils, but mixed reviewss from TGP

So it's unavailable from AMS, MF, Zzounds. Amazon and Sweetwater

That makes you a bigger tease than a certain young lady from Junior High that shall remain nameless :)

Could kinda use a Vibe pedal so this would work quite nicely and it is  $70 less than  the Deja Vibe. Definitely on my hot list

• Haha 1

Darn It !  Now I need a univibe type thingee. It's bad enough that The Gear Page costs me a lot of $, but now the football board is too !

Spent all morning researching,

Seems that with the exception of the really high priced units, there are mixed reviews and problems with all of these. 

So right now it comes down to the JHS Unicorn, which takes the 18% discount code at ProAudioStar or putting out a couple more bucks for Fulltone's mini Deja Vibe (He's got a nice 15% sale going on too). The thing about the JHS is that is has a tap tempo button, which sounds good over using a dial on the Deja. Earthquaker Devices also has a nice looking pedal too. 

The thing I find interesting is that you have to put it before the dirt pedals. Not sure if after the wah in line or in the noise suppressor loop. 

Just thought of the cost rationale, looks like no expenditure on Mets, Jets and concert tix this year. That'll buy some cool gear :) ... or the Mrs. some "house stuff" :(

• Sympathy 1

well after a month, my jam/funk project played last night at the drummers garage. I wore a mask. my wife was "ok" when i went but a bitch when I got home. (but its ok for her sister and best friend to visit now and then?)

It was fun! but everyone was sloppy for sure

16 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Vibe and Fuzz in one box !??!?!? and by one of my favorite pedal makers ?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

AND it's purple !!!!!!!

How did I not see this one before. They are already on V2

I think I'm gonna cry and when I stop, I am going to be $150 poorer , but then again that's only $75 per pedal !

(wiping tears from face)

Demos sound great with single coils, but mixed reviewss from TGP

So it's unavailable from AMS, MF, Zzounds. Amazon and Sweetwater

That makes you a bigger tease than a certain young lady from Junior High that shall remain nameless :)

Could kinda use a Vibe pedal so this would work quite nicely and it is  $70 less than  the Deja Vibe. Definitely on my hot list

Glad I brought this to your attention.  Definitely check out some more reviews.

On 3/25/2020 at 10:25 PM, The Crimson King said:

the wife looks in and says … "what did those things do, have another litter?"

pedals 200325 (2).jpg

Latest update … starting to get where I want to be. MM got me thinking vibe at the front end. Can't decide between the JHS or the Deja Vibe so for now I threw the Phase 90 in there.

Amazing what the Noise Suppressor does when you use the 4 cable method. Right now I have the compressor, the TCE Pre-drive and the POT in the loop. ZERO noise and no loss of tone. Thinking of another OD and/or distortion in that loop. Got lots to try and lots of time to do it.

321674254_Equip200425(2).thumb.JPG.22d05bb1f2c5966cd094a9a437fad34c.JPG

• Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Latest update … starting to get where I want to be. MM got me thinking vibe at the front end. Can't decide between the JHS or the Deja Vibe so for now I threw the Phase 90 in there.

Amazing what the Noise Suppressor does when you use the 4 cable method. Right now I have the compressor, the TCE Pre-drive and the POT in the loop. ZERO noise and no loss of tone. Thinking of another OD and/or distortion in that loop. Got lots to try and lots of time to do it.

Feels like a NASA control panel.  Wow, I am so impressed that you have a handle on all this technology.  I would be completely lost.  Kudos.

On 4/25/2020 at 3:07 PM, The Crimson King said:

OK, this should do it. Forgot how good that Bogner pedal is

1721949944_pedals200428(2).thumb.jpg.aabbbfc40684849d822ba2ed4a78050a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 3:49 PM, munchmemory said:

Just popped up on my YouTube recommendations.  Nice sounding pedal, especially thru the Friedman head. Crimson, I know you'll say you have like 12 of these. lol

Would love to have all those amp heads to play around with.

So for three weeks you had me thinking vibe. the MXR Phase 90 is a nice pedal but just doesn't do THIS. 

Researched the heck out of it. Scared away by the Deja Vibe price but found a great deal (18% off) at ProAudioStar. so ended up with:

jhs-pedals-unicorn.png.97afba9bb260345a5869bf94ba9b7871.png

JHS Unicorn V2.

Nice part is that it has a tap tempo. 

• Sympathy 1

The secrets behind Tony Iommi's classic Black Sabbath guitar tone

Tony Iommi's "Monkey" 1964 Gibson SG Special is, of course, an integral element of the sound that spearheaded heavy metal on Black Sabbath's pioneering early works - and it's something we've grilled the riff-master about at length.

But no study of Iommi’s seminal early sound would be complete without making mention of his amp and effects setup, which is simple but pivotal to its menacing sonic presence. Simon Fraser-Clark of Laney talks us through the rig that changed the world...

“The original Laney LA100 BL amps Tony was using in 1967 were super-simple: very, very unsophisticated," he reveals. "Single channel, very little gain, with a quartet of EL34s in the power section. You had to dime it all the way across and get everything up to ‘10’. 

"There’s a really weird thing as well: the first amps that were built used Partridge box-frame transformers. And there is this thing that happens when you saturate the output section - there’s a weird undertone that is there. It’s almost sounds like an octave below, but it’s not an octave below. 

"When we were working on recreating those amps, Tony sent me a load of guitar tracks, just solo’d stems from the album - and I thought they were multi-tracked. But he said, ‘No, it’s not multi-tracked,’ so I was listening to just one guitar. 

"But there was this sub-undertone, which as soon as you notice it’s there it becomes really obvious. When you bend it doesn’t track properly - it gives you this weird oscillation that then catches up to the note. It’s kind of like a ghost tone. 

Tony said, ‘Why does yours sound better than mine?’ And the guy said, ‘Well, my brother modified it.’ So Tony said, ‘Well, would he modify mine?’ So he did

“The fact everything had to be turned up loud with those amps was why Tony also used a Dallas Arbiter Rangemaster with them in the front-end, purely to hit that amp harder to make it break up. Before Tony formed Sabbath he was playing in a band up north with another guitar player, who also had a Dallas Arbiter Rangemaster.

It sounded better than Tony’s. So Tony said, ‘Why does yours sound better than mine?’ And the guy said, ‘Well, my brother modified it.’  So Tony said, ‘Well, would he modify mine?’ So he did. 

"Tony came back, the band broke up, he formed Sabbath. So, an LA100 BL, modified Dallas Rangemaster… that was his sound until in 1982, they employed a new tech who went through Tony’s gear, built him a new pedalboard, everything. Old stuff? Thrown away. 

“Problem was, Tony had never opened the back of the Dallas Arbiter Rangemaster in order to see what the mod was. So no-one knew. So when we built the new LA 100 amps for Tony, he said we’ll need the pedal as well. So we said, ‘What do you mean you’ll need a pedal as well?’ And we said, ‘What do you want?’ And he said, ‘I want one like my old Rangemaster.’ 

"So, again, we bought up some old Rangemasters to try out, but because we didn’t know what the mod was, we had to basically mod something, send it to him and say, ‘Is it that?’ and he’d be like ‘No.’ But we carried on listening and testing until eventually we said, ‘Hang on, how about that?’ and it was like, ‘Yeah, that’s it.’ And he said, ‘All right, I’ll have one.’ And it was sat in his rack. 

"But that was like 18 months of R&D time in a box, so then we thought, ‘We don’t make pedals - let’s make some pedals.’ So that’s where the TI Boost came from, where we were 50 years old so we decided we’d reissue 50 sets of Tommy’s original amp, his original speaker and the original pedal."

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/the-secrets-behind-tony-iommis-classic-black-sabbath-guitar-tone

• Post of the Week 1

On 5/13/2020 at 8:34 PM, The Crimson King said:

So for three weeks you had me thinking vibe. the MXR Phase 90 is a nice pedal but just doesn't do THIS. 

Researched the heck out of it. Scared away by the Deja Vibe price but found a great deal (18% off) at ProAudioStar. so ended up with:

jhs-pedals-unicorn.png.97afba9bb260345a5869bf94ba9b7871.png

JHS Unicorn V2.

Nice part is that it has a tap tempo. 

This is cool:

didn't notice this until tonight when I was reconfiguring stuff.

There is a little sticker underneath the pedal that says:

"This pedal is special. It was made in our homes during the Covid-19 Shutdown of 2020"

and gives special serial number

Let's see Boss or MXR do THAT !

• Sympathy 1

On 4/10/2020 at 9:05 PM, Snell41 said:

I have a flight case board that breaks my back for gigs. This will sound nuts, I genuinely wish I could carry it right now to a gig. I’d never complain about carrying it again.

Just picked up the New Pod go. $449. A mini Helix system which for me makes sense because Im a minimalist.

So, stayed with Line 6 simply because NO ONE has a good envelope filter for jerry garcia type vibe and for funk. I knew the reverbs, delays and mods were going to be fine but what surprised me was the overdrive. I use a ts808 and a klon and both sound really good. Not fuzzy and digital but quite analog.

Its a keeper!

download.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2020 at 11:54 PM, The Crimson King said:

This is cool:

didn't notice this until tonight when I was reconfiguring stuff.

There is a little sticker underneath the pedal that says:

"This pedal is special. It was made in our homes during the Covid-19 Shutdown of 2020"

and gives special serial number

Let's see Boss or MXR do THAT !

that is cool. plus the tap

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Just picked up the New Pod go. $449. A mini Helix system which for me makes sense because Im a minimalist.

So, stayed with Line 6 simply because NO ONE has a good envelope filter for jerry garcia type vibe and for funk. I knew the reverbs, delays and mods were going to be fine but what surprised me was the overdrive. I use a ts808 and a klon and both sound really good. Not fuzzy and digital but quite analog.

Its a keeper!

download.jpeg

I've been reading that it was a great buy. Pretty too :) Also nice to just bring one unit with pre-setup patches, plug in and go.  

Good to hear that they are finally getting OD right in the multis. I figure that when I finally come around on the King of Tone waiting list that digital modelling will be so good that it would even better than analog. Besides by the time I come up on the KOT list and the handler at the Elder Care Center tells me, I will just be confused and say "Where's Tone?"

Its a keeper!
download.jpeg.ca5f787467ec9660ed95ebd3992de70b.jpeg

Trust me, there’s a great pedal for the Jerry filter.

On 5/26/2020 at 11:43 PM, Snell41 said:

Trust me, there’s a great pedal for the Jerry filter.

Ive used the kangra . OK

EHX q tron. OK.

earthquake devices. Awful.

head rush. Awful.

no jerry type envelope sounds anywhere as good to me as the one on my old line 6 xt live. Doesnt matter what guitar or where you are on the fretboard. Always consistent and quacky.

my buddy has a nice one on his fractal, but thats a fortune.

im sure the mutron reissue is prettty good but its pricey