Game Observations (NYG)

KRL

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

There are 52 other guys on the roster and believe it or not this team could get to 8 or 9 wins with a veteran under center. 

It’s the same team as last year. That team had a veteran starter and had as good a chance at getting to 8 wins as Dewayne Robertson had at winning AFC Defensive Player of the Week for a 3rd time. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/25/2018 at 7:39 PM, bitonti said:

The season hasn't started and I'm already sick of the excuses. No one makes a qb intentional ground a football. He's averaging 5 yards a throw.

Yeah He's great and all but still a rookie and if vanilla defenses are too fast he's not ready for 3 games in 11 days then Jacksonville.

I’ve thought about the grounding more and I’ll worry about it when I see it in games that count. Yeah they’re supposed to be preparing/playing like it’s a real game because of repetition and such, but there’s also the possibility that for the preseason games - sans red practice jersey - they told him to throw it away if he’s got nothing (or if he sees nothing) and someone’s about to steamroll him. Even if it’s with no one in the area, if he thinks he’s about to get clobbered in a meaningless game.

If so, that would constitute not only a valid excuse, but a calculated/smart one as well, where as if it was a real game he’d just take the sack there. I’m fairly certain he could see he wasn’t throwing it to anyone. Penalty and loss of down notwithstanding, sometimes it’s still the right play.

If he’d separated his shoulder on a sack you’d certainly wish he just threw it away. If it’s a pattern that continues, or if it was a problem he had and never corrected in college, only then would I really worry about that play. I neither expect a rookie to play mistake-free throughout, nor at the level of consistency he’ll eventually reach in his prime.

The 5 yards per completion stuff is allegedly by design. He turned the ball over a lot last year, so we’ll see if this puss ball - particularly during preseason games - helps him this year and in the long term. 

16 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Exactly....was another gutless, consensus CYO pick by Maccagnan.  When all is said and done it will be obvious that the Jets could have waited until the 4th Rd to get a Safety with the exact same skill-set as Adams.  I wanted Pat Mahomes drafted at that pick, just put all dbacks in the NFL on notice with a 70 yard (in the air) TD last week, no sleep for any of them the night before they play KC.  

I think Darnold will be the goods and am very happy the Jets lucked into him, but they could have had Mahomes and the 3 #2's they gave away, if we had a GM who wasn't hamstrung by a lousy head coach who can never have enough dbacks and himself, playing it safe for more paychecks.  I also want Darnold on the bench most of the year...4 years of drafting and Maccagnan never addresses the Oline.  Josh Allen paid the price today.

If Adams was another Troy Palumalu  would have no problem with that pick, but they're not from the same planet.

you are seriously crying over Mahomes like he is an established pro bowler.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:29 AM, T0mShane said:

The offense having success early and then looking disjointed as the game went on, imo, is going to be part of a larger trend if Darnold can’t figure out how to get the ball downfield. If there’s no threat of going over the top, the blitzing starts, the press coverage gets tighter, and safeties start living in the box. It’s hard to do business that way, as Chad Pennington can tell you. 

You want to make this argument in a preseason game?  Defensive adjustments are not usually the issue as much as rotating personnel. Didn't seem like an issue to me.  I was a little concerned that some of the deeper outs seemd to take some time getting there I was more concerned that the opening play and Powell's TD may have been the only successful runs in the 1st half.  For either team. 

On 8/25/2018 at 8:10 AM, faba said:

Sam e problems we have had no pass rush at all offensive line including tight ends inconsistent blocking and showing lack of depth. Penalties killing the team

Bowles is obviously NOT a very talented defensive mind. Can't find a way or a player who can get to the QB without committing a penalty. Frankie Luvu gets there but is penalized every time. Same with Jordan Jenkins. Juston Burris couldn't cover my 82 year old mother and Skrine is a waste of time and money. Jets are still a few years away from being any good and that will come when Bowles is gone.

Archived