Game Observations (NYG)

KRL

Got to disagree a bit that "The OL was solid in pass protection" Inconsistent is how I would call it. In the opening TD drive alone there were two forced throw away's with Darnold running to prevent a sack.  If Darnold wasn't as mobile as he is there would have been several sacks in the 1st half.   On other plays the OL held up fine, just VERY inconsistent.  Actually on Darnold's one bad play, the intentional grounding, the OL held up pretty well, Darnold just held the ball in the same spot to long. 

I really again liked how Darnold looked.  He made a few rookie mistakes, but for the most part seems to have a real grasp of what is expected of him.  On 1st TD overcame two forced throw aways, a dropped ball, and a penalty on the edge of field goal range.  Also converted a 3rd and 13.  Very happy with Darnold.

The team in general looks like a mob.  ST's got to the point that it became funny.  Just a total lack of discipline, and focus.  The pass rush is a joke.  Won't be surprised to see the Jets over pay to bring in a pass rusher this week in a trade.  

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Got to disagree a bit that "The OL was solid in pass protection" Inconsistent is how I would call it. In the opening TD drive alone there were two forced throw away's with Darnold running to prevent a sack.  If Darnold wasn't as mobile as he is there would have been several sacks in the 1st half.   On other plays they OL held up fine, just VERY inconsistent.  Actually on Darnold's one bad play, the intentional grounding, the OL held up pretty well, Darnold just held the ball in the same spot to long. 

I really again liked how Darnold looked.  He made a few rookie mistakes, but for the most part seems to have a real grasp of what is expected of him.  On 1st TD overcame two forced throw aways, a dropped ball, and a peanalty on the edge of field goal range.  Also converted a 3rd and 13.  Very happy with Darnold.

The team in general looks like a mob.  ST's got to the point that it became funny.  Just a total lack of disapline, and focus.  The pass rush is a joke.  Won't be surprised to see the Jets over pay to bring in a pass rusher this week in a trade.  

The fact that they think pushups are the cure for bad penalties and not using that time to go over the mistakes and practice proper technique says a lot.  This isn’t pee wee football.  

I thought Darnold looked good which is the most important thing. But I have been a little surprised by the fact that this team seems to take no deep shots down the field. I know it's only preseason but that's something that's caught my attention. They run a lot of intermediate/short routes which is fine but I'd like to see Darnold throw a deep post or uncork a deep ball to Robbie Anderson on a fly route. I think he might have thrown a deep ball to Cannon on a wheel route week 1 that was incomplete. Again, just something i've noticed. 

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The fact that they think pushups are the cure for bad penalties and not using that time to go over the mistakes and practice proper technique says a lot.  This isn’t pee wee football.  

There’s is no technique that’s gonna stop the TE from 2 drive killing false starts . Gotta start holding these players accountable for there **** ups too . Todd Bowles ain’t the one committing these penalties 

Paid close attention to the OL again last night, and Brandon Shell looked awesome.

Hell, the entire starting OL looked rock solid in pass protection with the lone exception of Qvale, who after showing some signs of promise two weeks ago, looked like hot f*cking garbage.

Hopefully Beachum doesn’t suffer any setbacks and the Jets scour the sh*t out of the waiver wire for a decent backup LT.

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

There’s is no technique that’s gonna stop the TE from 2 drive killing false starts . 

Practice and discipline, from the coaches on down.  These are the most inexcusable of penalties.  The message that the gm and hc should send is that if you do this you’re cut.  

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Cannon can sit on the PS for a year but I don't want him on the 53 man roster and he should never ever play on special teams again.

Edwards is out kicking the coverage. Better hang time please

So disregard he has been solid as a Running back . Cause he isn’t s good returner? 

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I thought Darnold looked good which is the most important thing. But I have been a little surprised by the fact that this team seems to take no deep shots down the field. I know it's only preseason but that's something that's caught my attention. They run a lot of intermediate/short routes which is fine but I'd like to see Darnold throw a deep post or uncork a deep ball to Robbie Anderson on a fly route. I think he might have thrown a deep ball to Cannon on a wheel route week 1 that was incomplete. Again, just something i've noticed. 

IMO this is by design.  They are really hammering into Darnold's head not to turn the ball over.  He is reading the field well, and going to his check down's quickly if it looks like a disputed throw.  IMO at some point when he gets mosre comfortable he will start to challenge D's more up-field.  The OL has a hand in this also, just don't think there is enough time usually to let deep routes develop, so they are keeping them short.  Not to mention that one of the few problems Darnold has had in camp is with the long ball.  

If the bend but don’t break defense continues I’ll have no problems with that. New England’s defense has been doing that for years and years. Plus, it’s preseason. I’m confident coverage will tighten up. It’s the special teams and penalties that always do us in, but the most important part of the game and really the only thing that matters is Darnold probably clinched the starting job last night, and he’ll be let loose when the regular season starts. Rejoice jets fans, rejoice. 

1 minute ago, Jetlife33 said:

If the bend but don’t break defense continues I’ll have no problems with that. New England’s defense has been doing that for years and years. Plus, it’s preseason. I’m confident coverage will tighten up. It’s the special teams and penalties that always do us in, but the most important part of the game and really the only thing that matters is Darnold probably clinched the starting job last night, and he’ll be let loose when the regular season starts. Rejoice jets fans, rejoice. 

The difference with NE is that their offense scores a lot, so they take leads and can allow longer drives b/c they do create turnovers and sacks.  The jets need more of an impactful defense with a rookie qb.

2 hours ago, Dinamite said:

The first drive or so is also usually scripted.   So it was interesting to watch afterwards, and the offense was less effective.   Of course the penalties and field position did not help.   You are right, though, they have to let him take a shot or two downfield.

Most coach’s prefer to take their long shots downfield when the field position doesn’t put the other team in field goal position if there’s a turn over.    Darnold has the arm and accuracy- it will happen when the time is right

2 hours ago, KRL said:

With the big cut down date coming, it will be interesting to see what
Maccagnan can find in terms of OLB's.  Because the pressure off the
edge has been non-existent.  Would the front office consider a couple
of free agent "dinosaurs" like Elvis Dumervil or Dwight Freeney?

They should consider everyone regardless of age. Anyone. 

My questions about Sam who reacts well (like that run he did earlier in the game after he couldn't find an open receiver) is can he consistently move the team and score points. He's going to make mistakes and bad ones (like that blocked pass) but at this time in his career he doesn't make that many. But the Jets will have to score points and sustain drives to be successful. I think the defense is going to be ok if not better. Even though not a great pass rush. Leonard Williams is starting to look even better. And the Dbs aren't bad at all even though a few got burnt last night. And were off of the ball after getting beaten by Giants receivers. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I agree.  Still, it is frustrating as hell when you look forward to watching your team all week and they put on a performance like they did last night.  The most troubling signs to me are the things we have seen that have been constants going back to last year and in some cases beyond.  The poor special teams play, the penalties, lack of a pass rush, poor pass blocking.  These were all issues last year and nothing we have seen in preseason suggestst that they will be any better this season.

Exactly how I feel.  I was pumped to go to the game.  And after the first drive I was even more excited.  From then on, it was a disgusting performance.  

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yes. He hasn't shown anything special and is not worth a spot. That's why the west was signed

He has shown the ability to make big plays all camp before he got hurt . Besides his special teams debacle he still had better ypc than Powell and 4 catches last night. 

West could indeed take his spot or could just be a 4th preseason game body . 

12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IMO this is by design.  They are really hammering into Darnold's head not to turn the ball over.  He is reading the field well, and going to his check down's quickly if it looks like a disputed throw.  IMO at some point when he gets mosre comfortable he will start to challenge D's more up-field.  The OL has a hand in this also, just don't think there is enough time usually to let deep routes develop, so they are keeping them short.  Not to mention that one of the few problems Darnold has had in camp is with the long ball.  

Agree.  I am not too concerned by all the shott/intermediate routes.  Would have liked to see them 1 or 2 shots deep, but they didn't.  No big deal.  Another thing I noticed is that Sam was taking the majority of his snaps from under center.  Haven't charted it, but I would guess that he took more than 2/3 of his snaps under center.  Maybe they are more concerned with him getting comfortable under center in PS games than with  him throwing the ball all over the field.  Maybe once the season starts, we will see more shotgun, presumably he is more comfortable in the gun and will take more shots.

Once the season starts, if we are still running an entire offense within 15 yards of the line, I will be concerned.  But not now.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Bryant Boyer should have been fired on the sideline last night. His unit is the JV team.

After the game, Bowles said that they were experimenting with some people on STs who don't normally play there.  Wanted to see how they would do.  I think we saw enough last night.  An unsuccessful experiment. 

That first half was definitely the worst half of football I have ever seen from a special teams unit.

2 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

He has shown the ability to make big plays all camp before he got hurt . Besides his special teams debacle he still had better ypc than Powell and 4 catches last night. 

West could indeed take his spot or could just be a 4th preseason game body . 

That's why he gets a year on the PS. Otherwise I would straight up cut him.

there is no way he makes it to the GameDay roster, and nobody will claim him

Stash him

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agree.  I am not too concerned by all the shott/intermediate routes.  Would have liked to see them 1 or 2 shots deep, but they didn't.  No big deal.  Another thing I noticed is that Sam was taking the majority of his snaps from under center.  Haven't charted it, but I would guess that he took more than 2/3 of his snaps under center.  Maybe they are more concerned with him getting comfortable under center in PS games than with  him throwing the ball all over the field.  Maybe once the season starts, we will see more shotgun, presumably he is more comfortable in the gun and will take more shots.

Once the season starts, if we are still running an entire offense within 15 yards of the line, I will be concerned.  But not now.

What impressed me most with Darnold last night was when he changed the call at the line on like a 3rd and 6 or so in the first quarter, and hit Sterling, I believe, on a short route, right into the blitz, and got the first down. That was impressive. 

1 minute ago, Lith said:

After the game, Bowles said that they were experimenting with some people on STs who don't normally play there.  Wanted to see how they would do.  I think we saw enough last night.  An unsuccessful experiment. 

That first half was definitely the worst half of football I have ever seen from a special teams unit.

I saw that. Have to wonder if it was the new guys that were messing up tho.

Guess we will find out

perfect opportunity to cut a player today who they already decided isn't making the team to send a message.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

It's always a fair excuse for preseason but given the extent of the failures I'd be shocked if this doesn't carry over to the regular season. The most basic fundamentals aren't being executed. You learn lane discipline on kick coverage in high school. NFL preseason week 3 we had almost half the punt coverage team abandoning their lanes. It's almost like it's not even being discussed. ?

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Guess we will find out

perfect opportunity to cut a player today who they already decided isn't making the team to send a message.

Yup.  Lets face it, a lot of the guys on the bubble will find their way onto the roster by contributing on special teams.  Painful as it was to watch, it does make sense to give some fringe guys a chance and to see how they looked.  Not sure who some of the new STers were last night, but they did not help themselves.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The offense having success early and then looking disjointed as the game went on, imo, is going to be part of a larger trend if Darnold can’t figure out how to get the ball downfield. If there’s no threat of going over the top, the blitzing starts, the press coverage gets tighter, and safeties start living in the box. It’s hard to do business that way, as Chad Pennington can tell you. 

I think its also ties into not having anything close to a consistent ground game.  The line doesnt open enough holes and theres not even a threat of breaking any kind of yardage on the ground

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Stash him

I don’t agree.  If we try to stash him on our practice squad New England or another smart team will grab him and make him this years Woodhead.   He has speed moves and good hands - he should become a dangerous weapon for us

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Guess we will find out

I think they’ll be surprise cuts. These back of the roster guys need to contribute on special teams. If they can’t play special teams, they are not making the team. That’s why I think a guy like Andre Roberts is a lock to make the team.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Lets face it, a lot of the guys on the bubble will find their way onto the roster by contributing on special teams.  Painful as it was to watch, it does make sense to give some fringe guys a chance and to see how they looked.  Not sure who some of the new STers were last night, but they did not help themselves.

It was so bad I was expecting one of the giants kick offs that Cannon casually let bounce over his head take a funny bounce and get recovered by the giants lol

Just now, Larz said:

It was so bad I was expecting one of the giants kick offs that Cannon casually let bounce over his head take a funny bounce and get recovered by the giants lol

lol.  I had the same thought when he let one go over his head in the 2nd half.

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Stash him

The kid has done nothing but stand out to this point at the important Running back stuff . Being mad at him for not being good at something he never did till he got here is interesting .  Still doubt he gets cut be we shall see

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's always a fair excuse for preseason but given the extent of the failures I'd be shocked if this doesn't carry over to the regular season. The most basic fundamentals aren't being executed. You learn lane discipline on kick coverage in high school. NFL preseason week 3 we had almost half the punt coverage team abandoning their lanes. It's almost like it's not even being discussed. ?

What do you think is more likely- that lane discipline has not been discussed, or that players lack the discipline necessary to do what theyve been coached to do?

Archived