2019 WR watch

Paradis

13 minutes ago, RobR said:

FWIW I know his real name and tried googling it yet came back with nothing neither good nor bad. So I still hold out hope but it doesn't look good.

I was going ask if anyone did that. I'm pretty sleuthy on social media if i need to be (years of investigating for work)... i can always take a look.

God, depressing.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching some footage from during the week, and I just don't see how anyone can project Daniel Jones as a potential first rounder.  Drew Lock looks like he is by far the best QB on the North squad.  Since I am not that interested in QB this year (when was the last time I could say that during draft season), I have not watched any film on Jones, but I just don't get the 1st round hype.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

separate note, did you guys know that JI was sold again? lol

Chris NImbley, who was a writer for JI bought it.  Popped in the other day -- had not been a post there in about a week.  Chris has his work cut out for him if he wants to make it relevant again.

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Chris NImbley, who was a writer for JI bought it.  Popped in the other day -- had not been a post there in about a week.  Chris has his work cut out for him if he wants to make it relevant again.

I DM'd him on twitter, seems he wants to focus on the news/commentary. Forum is whatever to him at the moment. 

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

He's on zero peoples round 1-2 boards..... right now. we'll see how the interview/combine processes go

I know he isn’t rd1 cause his off the field issue at Tennessee . But I don’t see a reciever of his talent  level last past rd 3.  Especially if he test well at the combine . 

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

Can someone tell me why Metcalf isn’t being looked at as a top 3-5 pick if he’s getting comps to the likes of Josh Gordon and AJ Green? Is it the injuries?

Combination of injuries, production and such. I mean, he played on a team that had AJ Brown, Demarcus Lodge that tight end Knox — all with a sh*tty quarterback.  So his resume lacks that robustness

he will wind up in that top 10 convo post combine. In fact. #3 sounds about right. 

20 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Combination of injuries, production and such. I mean, he played on a team that had AJ Brown, Demarcus Lodge that tight end Knox — all with a sh*tty quarterback.  So his resume lacks that robustness

he will wind up in that top 10 convo post combine. In fact. #3 sounds about right. 

I am defintiely warming to the idea of Metcalf at 3.  Can't get excited about interior DL.  Pass rush is a huge need, but there is no need, in my opinion, that supercedes the need to surround Sam with weapons or protect him.  Since it does not look like there is that great stud OT in this draft, why not grab the guy who could become a legit #1 WR.

DK Metcalf at 3.  Yup, beginning to sound right to me too.

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am defintiely warming to the idea of Metcalf at 3.  Can't get excited about interior DL.  Pass rush is a huge need, but there is no need, in my opinion, that supercedes the need to surround Sam with weapons or protect him.  Since it does not look like there is that great stud OT in this draft, why not grab the guy who could become a legit #1 WR.

The fact that we think it makes sense automatically eliminates any chance Macc will pick DK.

FA has a handful of pass rushers, think we can make headway there with our cap. Same with OLINE, but we should address that in the draft too. 

Lets just assume the best player (Bosa) is off the table. Then let’s look at the best of the rest and who makes a bigger impact on the team and who is difficult/impossible to find in FA.. answer;

Metcalf>>>>>J.Williams

28 minutes ago, Lith said:

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The fact that we think it makes sense automatically eliminates any chance Macc will pick DK.

FA has a handful of pass rushers, think we can make headway there with our cap. Same with OLINE, but we should address that in the draft too. 

Lets just assume the best player (Bosa) is off the table. Then let’s look at the best of the rest and who makes a bigger impact on the team and who is difficult/impossible to find in FA.. answer;

Metcalf>>>>>J.Williams

It could make sense to Mac too if he blows it up at the combine and gets people talking like when Saquan crushed it. 

Just need to start seeing a bunch of mocks with him at 3 and I’ll feel comfortable it could happen. Mac basically follows those. 

On 2/1/2019 at 11:26 AM, MDL_JET said:

Can someone tell me why Metcalf isn’t being looked at as a top 3-5 pick if he’s getting comps to the likes of Josh Gordon and AJ Green? Is it the injuries?

Its kind of funny that in recent drafts 1st round RBs are talked about being over valued yet yielded high impact players like Gurley, Gordon, McCaffrey, Fournette, Elliott, Barkley, Michel, Penny (looking like a bust though).  Yet 1st round "big" WRs have not lived up to expectations, Davis, M. Williams, Coleman, Doctson, Treadwell, White, Parker, Perriman.  It may be that  teams are shying away from these types of WRs due to the low impact they've had in recent drafts.

It may also be that since it is so hard to find these types of players that offenses are beginning to adapt to not having them.  Either replacing them with a receiving TE, Gronk, Kelce, Ertz or relying on smaller quicker WRs.  Look at the last 4 playoff teams.  Patriots, without Gordon, has often relied on players like Edelman and Welker to carry the load for their WRs.  Rams feature Woods and Cooks.  Chiefs have Hill and Watkins.  Saints, the older offenseive style, featured Mike Thomas, a big WR.

Even for Gase, who had Parker a "big" 1st round WR, could not get him involved in his offense.  Gase was a WRs coach and helped develop Thomas and Sanders.  Yet his offense focused on players like Landry, Amendola and Stills to get production.

Metcalf has immense talent but trends in the selection of recent 1st round WRs may prevent him from being drafted at his talent level.

7 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Its kind of funny that in recent drafts 1st round RBs are talked about being over valued yet yielded high impact players like Gurley, Gordon, McCaffrey, Fournette, Elliott, Barkley, Michel, Penny (looking like a bust though).  Yet 1st round "big" WRs have not lived up to expectations, Davis, M. Williams, Coleman, Doctson, Treadwell, White, Parker, Perriman.  It may be that  teams are shying away from these types of WRs due to the low impact they've had in recent drafts.

It may also be that since it is so hard to find these types of players that offenses are beginning to adapt to not having them.  Either replacing them with a receiving TE, Gronk, Kelce, Ertz or relying on smaller quicker WRs.  Look at the last 4 playoff teams.  Patriots, without Gordon, has often relied on players like Edelman and Welker to carry the load for their WRs.  Rams feature Woods and Cooks.  Chiefs have Hill and Watkins.  Saints, the older offenseive style, featured Mike Thomas, a big WR.

Even for Gase, who had Parker a "big" 1st round WR, could not get him involved in his offense.  Gase was a WRs coach and helped develop Thomas and Sanders.  Yet his offense focused on players like Landry, Amendola and Stills to get production.

Metcalf has immense talent but trends in the selection of recent 1st round WRs may prevent him from being drafted at his talent level.

The biggest reason for that is these GMs are missing huge red flags in the games of those receivers.   I remember when Gil Brandt mentioned Perriman as a potential first round receiver, I went at him on twitter saying he was nuts.  Same with Doctson.  There were holes in those guys games that should have made GMs look a little harder at them, but they didn’t.  

The need for these types of receivers is what makes some GMs reach and maybe gloss over the negatives when evaluating these guys.  They know if they hit on one of these big receivers it’s huge for the team because they never become available in free agency, so there is some additional risk taking when drafting these guys.  

8 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

True. Josh Jacobs it is. 

10 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Sec101 beat me to it.... there's been some awful drafting by GMs in the last 3-4 years at WR. Perriman and Doctson as he pointed out -- were both like wtf... i couldnt' understand how either got rnd 1 hype. Also, keep in mind, WRs used to given until their 3rd season to develop completely. Backs are instant production.

I already see the same buffoonery happening this year. Kelvin Harmon round 1? Harry? Whiteside??.... It's crazy

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The biggest reason for that is these GMs are missing huge red flags in the games of those receivers.   I remember when Gil Brandt mentioned Perriman as a potential first round receiver, I went at him on twitter saying he was nuts.  Same with Doctson.  There were holes in those guys games that should have made GMs look a little harder at them, but they didn’t.  

The need for these types of receivers is what makes some GMs reach and maybe gloss over the negatives when evaluating these guys.  They know if they hit on one of these big receivers it’s huge for the team because they never become available in free agency, so there is some additional risk taking when drafting these guys.  

Agreed.  It's just so hard to tell with wide receivers as the good ones tend to have a "diva" complex more often then other positional players.  AB, Ochocinco, TO, Odell, Keyshawn, Plax, etc.  Being drafted in the 1st round doesn't help keep their egos in check.

NKeal Harris

Metcalf

Jazz

ALL of them look VERY enticing as receiving possibilities for Darnold. Jets should move up from #68 in the 3rd to pluck whichever one of these falls into the latter portion of the 2nd round. 

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

NKeal Harris

Metcalf

Jazz

ALL of them look VERY enticing as receiving possibilities for Darnold. Jets should move up from #68 in the 3rd to pluck whichever one of these falls into the latter portion of the 2nd round. 

Unless Harry tests really poorly at combine (possible) he'll go in 2nd at worst. Too much upside.

Metcalf could go as early as top 10

Jazz is mid to late flyer... we could probably take him in the 4th-5th with little competition.

Just to add some buzz on late round flyers, I love Cody Thompson from Toledo. Smooth route running and had good production throughout his time for the Rockets.

Lead the NCAA in Yards per catch at 19.8 in 2016. Had 1,269 yards and 11 touchdowns as well.

In 2017 he was on pace to do even better but broke his ankle in week 5. Still had 537 yards and 4 TD's in that span. 

2018: had a quarterback change and the team had a generally down year, Thompson posted 647 yards receiving but still found the end zone 10 times. 

Some guy I would love to see in the 7th round or an undrafted FA. 

thompson.jpg

On February 3, 2019 at 1:58 PM, Paradis said:

Unless Harry tests really poorly at combine (possible) he'll go in 2nd at worst. Too much upside.

Jazz is mid to late flyer... we could probably take him in the 4th-5th with little competition.

really? The talking heads and various articles keep ripping on this year's crop as being few flat -out STUDS at WR, but solid talent that would provide better value at the bottom of the first through the 2nd round. 

Metcalf LOOKS the part, but the knock is injury fear and thus why he's a ins round talent. I haven't seen much of him but highlight and am familiar w/the name. Would you be happy if the Jets took him in the Top 10 - traded down to 8? 9? and passed on an EDGE for picks - if there were no Oline or elite EDGE players available?

On 2/3/2019 at 1:58 PM, Paradis said:

Harry body catches too much for a high draft pick. He also seems to lack separation. Those two traits don’t go well together. Mike Williams wasn’t great at separating but his catch radius was absurd and he’s still struggling to be consistent.

I’m terrible scouting receivers tho so maybe he’ll be great. 

31 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Harry body catches too much for a high draft pick. He also seems to lack separation. Those two traits don’t go well together. Mike Williams wasn’t great at separating but his catch radius was absurd and he’s still struggling to be consistent.

I’m terrible scouting receivers tho so maybe he’ll be great. 

Maybe more of the Dwayne Jarret or James Hardy variety -- but he does track the ball really well and can catch the ball through the DB.., so i dunno. Tbh, i'm not sure we'll ever know until sundays... I'm of the camp that's nervous for Harry, but I'm also feeling like i may be blowing the separation concerns out of proportion at this point. It would have been nice had he ran more routes and was thrown the ball in a better offense... something absurd like 75% of his production came off these short digs, screens, outs etc... that doesn't help us gauge game speed and separation concerns. 

On 2/1/2019 at 6:24 PM, Lith said:

I was chatting with Paradis about this on twitter, but I think we might start to see Jawaan Taylor enter the top 10 (or top 5) conversation. He's got some good tape. 

22 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I was chatting with Paradis about this on twitter, but I think we might start to see Jawaan Taylor enter the top 10 (or top 5) conversation. He's got some good tape. 

yea's going to be a polarizing pick i bet. Did you see that Draft network thread on him today? 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Yea. He had some not so flattering clips of him getting beat. I didn’t have time to read just caught a coupe gifs/tweets

I saw one of Ledyard's later tweets where he said Taylor had some rough snaps in the first half, but was dominant in the second half. I'm going to try and pull the tape to see Taylor's reps against Josh Allen. 

Archived