Josh Rosen's best game

jetstream23

10 hours ago, Jet Life said:

Always liked Darnold and Baker over Rosen. He won’t be on their level 

That's how I felt too. Wanted Darnold or Baker at 3, happy things worked out the way they did.

I have never been a Rosen fan at all. I would have gone Josh Allen over him, as Buffalo did.

In hindsight the idea that he was the most pro-ready QB of the class was always flawed depending on how one defines that phrase. Young QB's are usually bad at making reads on pro defenses at first and tend lean on their mobility to make things happen while they come into their own as pocket passers. This is a pragmatic measure, it opens thing up for them in passing situations because the D has to account for the QB's ability to run.

There's this sliding scale of mobility in this class. You've got a true blue Mike Vick-esq mobile QB that's gonna commit to his running ability in Lamar Jackson. You've got the Cam Newton-esq QB with all the prototypical physical features (Big Arm, Big Body,etc) in Josh Allen who could be a big time passer but will run because he's got the tools to make that work while he adjusts. In Darnold and Mayfield you've got two guys that are more laterally mobile than vertically so, that is to say they have a knack for scrambling and making big plays out of the pocket like a Rodgers or Luck. And then there's the true blue pocket passer in Rosen, who is an Eli Manning-esq statue.

Theoretically Rosen is the more pro ready guy because he's already got the skill the others are trying to develop one way or the other; being committed to staying in the pocket. But in the early going that's to his detriment because unlike everyone else that has something else to lean on when the going get's rough he's got nothing. He's a better passer than the other Josh for instance but who's more likely to make the big play at this point? And what's more his O-line sucks so he cant even be the QB he is properly despite Fitz and Johnson being around.

He might be the better guy when/if the Cards get that aspect going for them and maybe (maybe) some of the other guys find they cant adjust to being pocket passers and their other gimmicks are nullified as a result. But until then he's got the least dynamic set of skills to work with.

19 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Mayfield is the only one in a good situation. The rest are not, by quite a lot. 

I agree. Mayfield is making that situation a good one, but so is the coaching staff. They're doing a phenomenal job with dudes who were considered monumental busts. 

After releasing Josh Gordon, the Browns had no one step up to be WR1, they decided to sign and make their #1 Breshad Perriman...a guy considered a bust in Baltimore signed just a couple months ago and has been playing well. Greg Robinson is now the Browns LT, a guy considered a bust after being drafted 2nd overall by Jeff Fischer (figures). Once the coaching staff took over Gregg Williams immediately benched Desmond Harrison and put in Robinson as their LT. Mayfield has been one of the least hit QB's in the league over the past month and a half. 

When you have good coaching, you get the best out of your players. Today folks see the Browns as a good situation, all they did was remove the trash in the front office and the coaching staff and now players that Hue Jackson said he couldnt win with actually have a shot at the playoffs if things fall their way. 

Woody and Chris better clean house. 

30 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I agree. Mayfield is making that situation a good one, but so is the coaching staff. They're doing a phenomenal job with dudes who were considered monumental busts. 

After releasing Josh Gordon, the Browns had no one step up to be WR1, they decided to sign and make their #1 Breshad Perriman...a guy considered a bust in Baltimore signed just a couple months ago and has been playing well. Greg Robinson is now the Browns LT, a guy considered a bust after being drafted 2nd overall by Jeff Fischer (figures). Once the coaching staff took over Gregg Williams immediately benched Desmond Harrison and put in Robinson as their LT. Mayfield has been one of the least hit QB's in the league over the past month and a half. 

When you have good coaching, you get the best out of your players. Today folks see the Browns as a good situation, all they did was remove the trash in the front office and the coaching staff and now players that Hue Jackson said he couldnt win with actually have a shot at the playoffs if things fall their way. 

Woody and Chris better clean house. 

All excellent points that I agree with. Not going to defend Jackson, but their ex kicker cost them 2 wins in the first two games. I like to scan the local papers and message boards in the cities where the other rookie QBs play. In Cleveland, the town and the players are loving the job done by Williams and Kitchens and are now calling for them to be retained. The thing that stands out to me with the Browns fans is there is no doubt in any of their minds they have finally hit on the right QB. They don’t even talk about him like a rookie anymore, that’s how quickly and well he’s developed. That’s the feeling we’d like to have about Sam, and Sunday was a great step in that direction. If he can continue to improve the last 3 games it will be great for him, the team, and even us fans. That’s why it was so important he got back out there, rather then sit out until next year as many here wanted.

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

All excellent points that I agree with. Not going to defend Jackson, but their ex kicker cost them 2 wins in the first two games. I like to scan the local papers and message boards in the cities where the other rookie QBs play. In Cleveland, the town and the players are loving the job done by Williams and Kitchens and are now calling for them to be retained. The thing that stands out to me with the Browns fans is there is no doubt in any of their minds they have finally hit on the right QB. They don’t even talk about him like a rookie anymore, that’s how quickly and well he’s developed. That’s the feeling we’d like to have about Sam, and Sunday was a great step in that direction. If he can continue to improve the last 3 games it will be great for him, the team, and even us fans. That’s why it was so important he got back out there, rather then sit out until next year as many here wanted.

I agree. The kicker this year most definitely cost them 2 wins. However, how different would those two games have been if Hue Jackson actually gave Mayfield a competitive shot at starting and not just benching him? 

Imagine where this team would be if Mayfield started since week 1? It's like for everything that goes wrong that impacted the Browns team, I can also point to something that Hue did that was equally as impactful. 

I agree with the fans and players who feel that Greg Williams and Fred Kitchens should be retained. I feel so strongly about it, that if they were released I think that the Jets should seriously consider both of them, ESPECIALLY Kitchens. I've been watching his play design and it's like every week he has a brand new funky play that completely takes the defense by surprise. 

More importantly, I can really tell that he's about the details. I've been pretty much invested in this Browns this year so I've been following the coach press conferences and all. Freddie Kitchens reminds me of that guy who will end up being like the next Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan before folks considered them. 

Im quickly begining to believe that John Dorsey may be the best General Manager in football. Two of the most exciting teams in the league he's  built (KC, CLE). Thats not bad. 

Sam is not that far behind. But Sam is in a really bad situation being around a bunch of deflated players who dont believe in the folks in charge and there's nothing to get excited about. If we can get a motivating coaching staff here with some clever playcalling and some attention to detail, the Jets can be an exciting football team again. 

We need to find the right guys, and firing Bowles and keeping Macc isnt the answer. 

39 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I agree. The kicker this year most definitely cost them 2 wins. However, how different would those two games have been if Hue Jackson actually gave Mayfield a competitive shot at starting and not just benching him? 

Imagine where this team would be if Mayfield started since week 1? It's like for everything that goes wrong that impacted the Browns team, I can also point to something that Hue did that was equally as impactful. 

I agree with the fans and players who feel that Greg Williams and Fred Kitchens should be retained. I feel so strongly about it, that if they were released I think that the Jets should seriously consider both of them, ESPECIALLY Kitchens. I've been watching his play design and it's like every week he has a brand new funky play that completely takes the defense by surprise. 

More importantly, I can really tell that he's about the details. I've been pretty much invested in this Browns this year so I've been following the coach press conferences and all. Freddie Kitchens reminds me of that guy who will end up being like the next Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan before folks considered them. 

Im quickly begining to believe that John Dorsey may be the best General Manager in football. Two of the most exciting teams in the league he's  built (KC, CLE). Thats not bad. 

Sam is not that far behind. But Sam is in a really bad situation being around a bunch of deflated players who dont believe in the folks in charge and there's nothing to get excited about. If we can get a motivating coaching staff here with some clever playcalling and some attention to detail, the Jets can be an exciting football team again. 

We need to find the right guys, and firing Bowles and keeping Macc isnt the answer. 

Good point about Baker sitting the first two games. Agree again about Williams and Kitchens. Especially Freddie. I have to be honest, I shook my head when they named him OC, but you could see a difference from the first week, even though it was a loss. Ive been into them also this year because of Baker. I live down south so I go to a sports bar to watch the Jets each week. The bartender knows by now to put the Browns on an adjoining tv so I can watch them also.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:30 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I remember when Brady was an average talent game manager the first couple of years if guys career.

Can we hold off on the hot takes on these kids?! I've seen flashes from all 4 of these guys. No one knows how these guys career will end up.

I still think we got the best one

Archived