Breaking Bitonti news

R44

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he's only 24 and was AFC defensive player of the week this year. He's not a bust or even close to it. What's the problem? DROB was not the reason the Jets lost 12 games this year.

bit, are you kidding me?

DFat has played 50 games as a NYJ and you cite one friggn' game that he played like he was suppose to when the Jets gave up the farm for him?

Also, 24 years old with no cartilege in his kness. He won't last 8 years in the NFL with that problem.

And he may no have been totally responsible for 12 losses, but he sure was damn responsible for the Jets defense finishing 31st against the run last year.

Take you green-colored glasses off when you evaluate the Fat load.

bit, are you kidding me?

DFat has played 50 games as a NYJ and you cite one friggn' game that he played like he was suppose to when the Jets gave up the farm for him?

Also, 24 years old with no cartilege in his kness. He won't last 8 years in the NFL with that problem.

And he may no have been totally responsible for 12 losses, but he sure was damn responsible for the Jets defense finishing 31st against the run last year.

Take you green-colored glasses off when you evaluate the Fat load.

Uh, bit just did point out a game where he played like the top 4 pick. :shock::shock::shock:

Anyways, the Jets defense wasnt half as bad as their ranking vs the run. FOR THE LAST TIME, that ranking is skewed. Teams just ran the ball once they got a lead because our offense couldnt match them. Plain and simple.

Uh, bit just did point out a game where he played like the top 4 pick. :shock::shock::shock:

Yes he did, 1 friggn' game out of 50.

That means in 2% of DFat's games he performed like the #4 overall pick and 98% of his games he has performed like a JAG.

Now, are those percentages worth two 1st's and a 4th?

Case closed.

Yes he did, 1 friggn' game out of 50.

That means in 2% of DFat's games he performed like the #4 overall pick and 98% of his games he has performed like a JAG.

Now, are those percentages worth two 1st's and a 4th?

Case closed.

How about the entire 2004 season? He was really playing well. Not a worldbeater, but he played well.

How about the entire 2004 season? He was really playing well. Not a worldbeater, but he played well.

And what about 2003 and 2005?

The Jets didn't give up what they gave up for DFat to just come in and perform "well". You can find JAG's to do that.

They needed him to play like the game-changing DT that they thought they were getting.

It hasn't happened yet

in 2003 there were about 11 legit first rounders. This year there are about 40-45 legitimate first round grades out there. I agree had the Jets used 2006 picks the price would be too high but in 2003 it was the best use of 2 picks in teh middle of nowhere.

Plus the fact that these DTs usually don't develop early he could be a star at 25 or 26 or 27 the age when most rookies become stars the guy still has alot of potential.

Also I spoke to actual doctors who are good and Jets fans familiar with the player and the game and they said there was no way Drob has as little cartlidge in his knee as some have said. (not KNEES it's only 1 knee) - it's not 1973 if a doctor goes in with a scope it's a very minor thing and maybe it affects his long term but it doesn't make him a cripple at 24, not even close. It will lead to arthritis and problems later in life but nothing in the here and now that would affect the prime of his NFL career.

ps Vince Wilfork is ok not great. :mrgreen: I liked him alot the year they took Vilma and I was glad to be wrong with that draft prediction. (My mock draft at 12 selection was Tommie Harris by the way - the Jets did better than me =D> ) Yeah Wilfork's a sometimes servicable NT but will never be a 10 sack a year guy - Drob still could be.

Yeah Wilfork's a sometimes servicable NT but will never be a 10 sack a year guy - Drob still could be.

I don't think any Pats fan will ever think Wilfork will be a 10-sack a year guy. Just not the type of player he is.

However, I would submit up to this point in their careers, Wilfork has outplayed DFat.

Memo to Bit. From Mel Kiper no less. Ask ASSMOP if true.

"Stop talking up the players you touted the second after the draft ends, because you then get perceived as a fan and not a Draft expert".

In other words, stop smokin DROBs meatpipe and people will forget your love affair and listen to your draft words more closely.

Great draft site by the way.

Draftdaddy.com is a great site for college football-they really have done a great job with all the info there_ wish I could hit it more often to get info

Drob has been a disappoitment-for all we gave up to draft him you have to expect more from the player- sorry Bit

Drob has been a disappoitment-for all we gave up to draft him you have to expect more from the player- sorry Bit

January 8, 2009

Dear PatsFanTX,

I'm sending this PM to you because I am extremely embarrassed. I still can't believe DFat had to retire this year because of his chronic knee problem and his weight condition. He never came close to making a Pro Bowl or being the player I was so sure he would be. I can't believe he was the 5th DT on the depth chart this past season

I just want to admit that you were right from the very beginning. On draft day 2003, you said the Jets gave up way too much for DFat and you were right all along.

Your good friend,

bit

I think the perception of D-Rob being a good pick or not has a lot to do with expectations and how well a player fulfills them.

There are a ton of people on this board who say he's a bust because he didn't live up to their expetations.

This is why IMO I give D-Rob a passing grade thus far..based on what I expected of him at the time he was picked.

Year 1--I expected him to struggle but learn to play at the NFL level with gradual improvement and make the occassional play or two. IMO he did that.

Year 2--I expected a much improved player with a year under his belt and given his role in this defense I expected dramatic improvement, especailly against the run. IMO, he did that.

Year 3--I expected D-Rob to play at or just below the level of a pro bowl DT. He was far from that. I'm not going to make excuses for the man and say but this...but that...what if, etc. In year three he did not live up to my expectations. IMO.

So far the guy has hit on 2 of 3 years. I'm not ready to give up on him but again, thats because I didn't expect him to walk in to the NFL at 19/20 years old and dominate every play from day 1. The climate in sports today is to get so caught up in the hype that we forget about reality and keeping expectations at an attainable level so when a player falls short of being all world within 8 games, people start labeling them a bust. I've heard several people on here call Justin Miller a bust. Are you friggin kidding me. Less than a full season of playing time but because he was a high pick he should just step on the field in the NFL and take over. Riddiculous.

One hting that many people overlook. D-Rob left school after his sophomore year and had he stayed in school he would have just finished his rookie year. I'm not ready to bail on him just yet.

problem with your logic is u dont draft early entries THAT HIGH that need 3 years to 'mature',,,

problem with your logic is u dont draft early entries THAT HIGH that need 3 years to 'mature',,,

Is that exclusive to DT? Last time I looked there are teams all over the NFL who draft QBs knowing they're going to take years to pan out. Sometimes foolish enough to expect them to play well from day one. The best example of this is Drew Brees. Pro Bowl QB who was given up on to the point where his team drafted another 1st round QB with him on the roster, only to have Brees come in to his own and light it up. Some players/positions take time. It's not as if D-Rob is getting blown up out there and showing an inability to compete at this level like some other first round picks (Dorian Boose anyone)

I'm sure Steeler fans are happy they kept Rothlisberger on the bench for a couple years to "pan out".

I figured there'd be somebody who'd use Rothlesberger as an example as opposed to the other 99% of QBs in the league who take time to develop. Thats a wonderful comparison Tx, lets take the single most successful season a 1st year QB has ever had and discuss it as if it should be the norm. Why am I not surprised it came from you.

Rothlesberger is a hell of a QB and I've been a fan of his since he was at Miami (OH) but the fact that he played for a team that ran the ball over 60% of the time with a great defense helped him tremendously. This is not at all to say he's not a top notch QB. Maybe the best in the league IMO but to say all others should be compared to him is just riddiculous.

OBTW, Pittsburgh did plan on sitting Big Ben and he was doing just that until the starter was injured ant BR took the job from him.

I figured there'd be somebody who'd use Rothlesberger as an example as opposed to the other 99% of QBs in the league who take time to develop. Thats a wonderful comparison Tx, lets take the single most successful season a 1st year QB has ever had and discuss it as if it should be the norm. Why am I not surprised it came from you.

Rothlesberger is a hell of a QB and I've been a fan of his since he was at Miami (OH) but the fact that he played for a team that ran the ball over 60% of the time with a great defense helped him tremendously. This is not at all to say he's not a top notch QB. Maybe the best in the league IMO but to say all others should be compared to him is just riddiculous.

OBTW, Pittsburgh did plan on sitting Big Ben and he was doing just that until the starter was injured ant BR took the job from him.

I hear you AirForce, I'm just busting chops. :wink:

Keep two things in mind, Rothlisberger was fortunate to fall into an extremely good situation with the Steelers where he was not asked to carry the team on his back.

Second point, and you also addressed it, the Steelers plan was to keep him on the bench for a year but the injury to Maddox prevented that from happening.

only hyper analytical Jets fans and jealous pats fans would consider Drob a bust. Consider the fact there were only 12 or so legit first round grades in 2003 and the price paid seems alot smaller. this year with so many great players, 13 and 22 will be premium picks but in 2003 these picks were in no man's land.

the bottom line is that there are 32 teams in the league that would run not walk to sign this guy if he was cut tomorrow, that's not a sign of a bust. A real bust is a guy like Wendall Bryant who went in the first round, got cut and didn't get a sniff afterward

you guys can bust on me all you want but im not changing my tune. When (not if - WHEN) Drob explodes i expect apologies from each and every one of you.

by the way pro bowl appearances are directly tied to team wins - the more team wins you have the more slots on the pro bowl roster you command. It's about reputation but it's also about team. When Chad got injured he killed many people's pro bowl chances, including Drob (who if you look at the pure stats has just as good a line as any of the AFC pro bowl DTs - the difference isn't in production it's in win totals) even a guy like Johnny Abe had a pro-bowl caliber year but didn't make it because the jets had 4 wins instead of 10 or 12.

Keep two things in mind, Rothlisberger was fortunate to fall into an extremely good situation with the Steelers where he was not asked to carry the team on his back.

Second point, and you also addressed it, the Steelers plan was to keep him on the bench for a year but the injury to Maddox prevented that from happening.

TX- what does this have to do with anything

Cindy only got his chance after Mo blew up Bledsoe.

There was a good chance Cindy would still be on pine

Big Ben will be a better player when both careers are done. Cindy was very lucky early in his career.

the Tuck, a little AV, some poor coaching by Martz, some gagging by Donovan.

Big Ben 15-1 his rookie year

Big Ben SB win in year 2

the kid is better than Cindy, not even close

you guys can bust on me all you want but im not changing my tune. When (not if - WHEN) Drob explodes i expect apologies from each and every one of you.

Not sure if you read all of the posts bit but some of us have your back on this...me included.

You got a deal. hey ..do you know there was a QB from Michigan St. named Matt bitonti? 1999 I think.

Sounds a lot like Tom Brady huh?

Sounds a lot like Tom Brady huh?

Totally different situation Smizz.

When Brady came in he did not have the smash-mouth running game that Big Ben had in Pittsburgh.

Several times that year Brady had to win football games through the air. He was 33/54, 364 yards in a comeback win versus the Chargers.

Hell, it took Big Ben 3 games to throw 54 passes.

Totally different situation.

Archived