Clash of the Titans: Josh Allen v. Jawaan Taylor

maury77

Most would agree that 2 of the biggest needs for the Jets are edge rusher and OL help. At the 3rd pick, the Jets choice could come down to Josh Allen, the Kentucky edge rusher, or Jawaan Taylor. Jawaan Taylor? Most have focused on Jonah Williams as the top OT in the draft, but you are beginning to see mentions of Taylor going in the top 10. I believe that with Taylor having better physical tools than Jonah Williams, you may ultimately see Taylor going in the top 5. 

Fortunately, Florida played Kentucky this year, so we had the chance to see the 2 aforementioned players battle head to head on several occasions. The video is embedded below and I will breakdown their individual matchups later in the day. 

We’re starting to see other names rising up the draft boards and the “consensus” guys are starting to be scrutinized more.   Taylor, Dillard, Ford all guys who are now legit first round prospects.  

As far as Allen goes, even in a 4-3 he could be valuable.  I see him playing a Bruce Irvin type role when he was with Seattle.  In base defense he is an OLB, in nickel and dime he moves down to DE to attack the QB.  Allen does have some versatility to him.  That being said, I still want my alpha WR and am 90% all in on Metcalf.  There’s really questions around all these guys as none are true locks for anything.  Give me the WR that this franchise has been missing for so so long.   

I'd rather not relive this game but what this game does showcase for Allen, is his versatility.  They had him lined up all over the field, man coverage, zone coverage, attack the QB mode, set the edge, blow up some guards...they asked him to do it all.  He made the game ugly and was in and around a lot of plays with a few plays behind the LOS.  So that being said, this isnt one of the films where you get to see a ton of 1 vs. 1 because Allen was all over the field. 

I dont see Taylor as a LT in the NFL.  Though he played it and played it well at Florida, he's seems at home playing RT.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I'd rather not relive this game but what this game does showcase for Allen, is his versatility.  They had him lined up all over the field, man coverage, zone coverage, attack the QB mode, set the edge, blow up some guards...they asked him to do it all.  He made the game ugly and was in and around a lot of plays with a few plays behind the LOS.  So that being said, this isnt one of the films where you get to see a ton of 1 vs. 1 because Allen was all over the field. 

I dont see Taylor as a LT in the NFL.  Though he played it and played it well at Florida, he's seems at home playing RT.

Allen is a generational defensive talent.  I’ve seen the guy make sensational plays dropping back in coverage for Jesus sake

.17 - Pass play. Taylor shows off his excellent feet and pass set forcing Allen to not engage on the outside. Allen stutters steps and tries an inside route. Gets a little pressure, but the QB gets his pass off without much interference. 

2:13 - running play. Allen tries to go around Tayor rather than engaging him head-on. Smart play by Allen, who plays to his strengths here and almost comes around Taylor to make the play. That being said, Taylor makes the block and opens the hole.

2:30 - pass play. Nice display for both players here. Allen gets a good burst up the arc, but Taylor shows really nice feet, a proper pass set and uses his long arms to stop Allen. Allen counters with an inside move and almost gets there. Taylor is susceptible to these inside counters, but hopefully, that can get worked on with good coaching. 

3:10 - pass play. Taylor dops his anchor and Allen goes nowhere. 

3:20 - pass play. Taylor has a tendency to be late with his hands and it shows up here. Allen gets his long arms inside Taylor and puts him on skates. Good power rush by Allen. 

5:50 - pass play. Allen runs up the arc with good burst, but Taylor does his dancing bear routine and stuffs him. Nice rep by Taylor. 

5:58 - pass play. Another nice rep for Taylor. Allen tries the same technique he tried at .17. Taylor apparently recognizes this and tosses Allen when he goes for the inside move. 

7:21 - run play. This time, Taylor gets his hands up early and moves Allen with ease. 

9:10 - pass play. Taylor initially stuffs Allen, who does a nice job of using his hands to disengage. Allen is effective with his hands, he just doesn't use them consistently. 

Hey @Paradis and @JiF , is Franks supposed to be good? He's kind of trash in this video. 

@RobR , what did you think of this tape?

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

.17 - Pass play. Taylor shows off his excellent feet and pass set forcing Allen to not engage on the outside. Allen stutters steps and tries an inside route. Gets a little pressure, but the QB gets his pass off without much interference. 

2:13 - running play. Allen tries to go around Tayor rather than engaging him head-on. Smart play by Allen, who plays to his strengths here and almost comes around Taylor to make the play. That being said, Taylor makes the block and opens the hole.

2:30 - pass play. Nice display for both players here. Allen gets a good burst up the arc, but Taylor shows really nice feet, a proper pass set and uses his long arms to stop Allen. Allen counters with an inside move and almost gets there. Taylor is susceptible to these inside counters, but hopefully, that can get worked on with good coaching. 

3:10 - pass play. Taylor dops his anchor and Allen goes nowhere. 

3:20 - pass play. Taylor has a tendency to be late with his hands and it shows up here. Allen gets his long arms inside Taylor and puts him on skates. Good power rush by Allen. 

5:50 - pass play. Allen runs up the arc with good burst, but Taylor does his dancing bear routine and stuffs him. Nice rep by Taylor. 

5:58 - pass play. Another nice rep for Taylor. Allen tries the same technique he tried at .17. Taylor apparently recognizes this and tosses Allen when he goes for the inside move. 

7:21 - run play. This time, Taylor gets his hands up early and moves Allen with ease. 

9:10 - pass play. Taylor initially stuffs Allen, who does a nice job of using his hands to disengage. Allen is effective with his hands, he just doesn't use them consistently. 

Hey @Paradis and @JiF , is Franks supposed to be good? He's kind of trash in this video. 

@RobR , what did you think of this tape?

Great stuff my man!  I knew there were only a few plays they actually went head to head but this break down is fantastic.

Franks is not good.  He was highly rated coming out of college, for a being a big kid, athletic with a cannon but he's been a slooowww developer.   He just processes really slow.   Granted, McChoppers was a terrible HC and did him no favors, Mullen has seem to get a lot more out of him but he's still just a serviceable dude who can make some plays here and there.  That said, this was one of his worst games.  Franks made big leap this year from last year but not sure how much time he's got left with Emory Jones sitting behind him who's a much more talented player and fits Mullen's scheme better IMO.

I will say this; he's a competitor and has handled himself with nothing but class toward a fanbase that has been brutally hard on him.  I went from, I never want to see Franks again, to rooting for the kid.

Should be interesting, the Gators made a big splash yesterday and got into the top 10 recruiting class in the nation.  Franks is going to have to really shine this offseason to hold off Jones. 

On 2/6/2019 at 7:19 AM, maury77 said:

Most would agree that 2 of the biggest needs for the Jets are edge rusher and OL help. At the 3rd pick, the Jets choice could come down to Josh Allen, the Kentucky edge rusher, or Jawaan Taylor. Jawaan Taylor? Most have focused on Jonah Williams as the top OT in the draft, but you are beginning to see mentions of Taylor going in the top 10. I believe that with Taylor having better physical tools than Jonah Williams, you may ultimately see Taylor going in the top 5. 

Fortunately, Florida played Kentucky this year, so we had the chance to see the 2 aforementioned players battle head to head on several occasions. The video is embedded below and I will breakdown their individual matchups later in the day. 

That is some good tape although it focuses in on mostly pass plays. I'll agree with @JiF on this one because I see a RT through and through...albeit a very good one.

He has decent feet, looks long and does well at the second level. Their wasn't many run plays in that tape but he collapsed the defense on some of those clips. Hand usage needs some work but I would love a player like this if we could recoup a second rounder. Time to end the Shell experiment and just keep him as the swing tackle.

On 2/6/2019 at 3:24 PM, Philc1 said:

Allen is a generational defensive talent.  I’ve seen the guy make sensational plays dropping back in coverage for Jesus sake

I’ve been on Allen longer than most around here, but he’s not a generational talent.  He isn’t even the best pass rusher in THIS draft.  Myles Garrett was better coming out as well.  Let’s not get carried away with these accolades.  

13 hours ago, RobR said:

That is some good tape although it focuses in on mostly pass plays. I'll agree with @JiF on this one because I see a RT through and through...albeit a very good one.

He has decent feet, looks long and does well at the second level. Their wasn't many run plays in that tape but he collapsed the defense on some of those clips. Hand usage needs some work but I would love a player like this if we could recoup a second rounder. Time to end the Shell experiment and just keep him as the swing tackle.

I feel like there is a bunch of no brainer RTs in this draft, but projecting these guys as LTs seems like a struggle.  I wonder if there is too much over-thinking when projecting these LTs.   Is the skill set really that much different in today’s game?   These edge rushers move around so much today and RTs face the premium rushers as much as the LTs, I get that the LT protects the QBs blind side, but a good QB should sense and feel that pressure anyway.   I don’t know, just my opinion,  the game has changed and the traditional “mauler RT” has become a bit extinct and the skill set for LTs and RTs have become somewhat the same.  

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I feel like there is a bunch of no brainer RTs in this draft, but projecting these guys as LTs seems like a struggle.  I wonder if there is too much over-thinking when projecting these LTs.   Is the skill set really that much different in today’s game?   These edge rushers move around so much today and RTs face the premium rushers as much as the LTs, I get that the LT protects the QBs blind side, but a good QB should sense and feel that pressure anyway.   I don’t know, just my opinion,  the game has changed and the traditional “mauler RT” has become a bit extinct and the skill set for LTs and RTs have become somewhat the same.  

I agree. The tape in this thread actually reinforces your point as you see Allen lining up all over the place. 

10 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I agree somewhat. LT's are still much more athletic than their RT counterparts and you can see that with every single roster around the NFL. They are also paid as such. I don't think anyone sees Right Tackles as strictly road graders anymore and haven't for quite some time but it still doesn't change the dynamic that true LT's are inherently more valuable and desired. Nothing like feeling comfortable putting your LT out on an island.

On 2/6/2019 at 9:19 AM, maury77 said:

As usual, great work Murray and thanks.

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

Are we just moving this whole operation out to the strip till april?

seems we've lost the majority to main forum draft posts. 

The posters who really care are here. Didn't recognize you with the different Av. lol

On 2/8/2019 at 11:31 AM, sec101row23 said:

I’ve been on Allen longer than most around here, but he’s not a generational talent.  He isn’t even the best pass rusher in THIS draft.  Myles Garrett was better coming out as well.  Let’s not get carried away with these accolades.  

I think Polite is a better pass rusher than Allen. He's a tweener. Where do you play him. A great choice for us, if we trade down

On 2/8/2019 at 11:31 AM, sec101row23 said:

Garrett is the best pass rusher since Von Miller and he might be better 

Allen’s motor and athleticism are off the charts.  That said I would like to see him bend more and be as flexible as a Myles Garrett which is almost impossible to do but I think that’s what separates him from being a good pass rushing prospect to a great prospect

Archived