What has happened to Vic Beasley? A worse drop-off than Leo Williams?

jetstream23

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

For a couple of years there was a small but loud chorus of people who held major regrets about the Jets taking Leo Williams over Vic Beasley.  I was just reading an article about possible trade-down partners for the Jets in the draft (link below) and the Falcons at #14 were mentioned as a team that may want to come up for a pass-rusher.  This surprised me.  I had thought Beasley was drafted in 2015 to be that guy for Atlanta.  I went back and looked at his statistics and he's had a significant drop off over not one, but two seasons since his stellar 2016 season.

1962035967_ScreenShot2019-04-04at10_48_13AM.png.32ba9fa230a1d2a1bf51398c42db2f68.png

In fact, Leo Williams generated just as many sacks (5) from the interior as Beasley did as an outside pass rusher in 2018.  Williams had significantly more tackles and TFL.  (Beasley played in all 16 games).

The similarities in how the Jets and Falcons may view Williams and Beasley respectively are pretty interesting.  Here, there has been some discussion of the Jets taking Q. Williams at #3 and looking to trade Leo.  That would be a direct replacement with a similar player for lower $$$.  It seems the same thinking is being thrown around for Beasley this year as he heads into his final season under contract in 2019.  Does Atlanta want to move up in the Draft to find an Edge rusher upgrade?

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/03/potential-trade-down-partners-jets-2019-nfl-draft/4/

1353518402_ScreenShot2019-04-04at10_56_52AM.thumb.png.c202825e0329db4050fd36c87e2d4f95.png

Trade Lee for Beasley straight up.

16 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Yes. Let’s say Williams with Allen or Bosa or Oliver next to him turns his pressures and QB hits into sacks. This means he’s suddenly worth $16 million a year. We either franchise him and get him for a season at a high cost or extend him at much higher a price than we would’ve asked for right now.

Just playing devil's advocate, what if you extended him before his option and he continues to have little impact with someone else next to him? Then everyone is up in arms that we didnt learn from Wilk

5 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Just playing devil's advocate, what if you extended him before his option and he continues to have little impact with someone else next to him? Then everyone is up in arms that we didnt learn from Wilk

Because regardless he’s gonna get at least 11 million a year next year from someone. He’s still a good player, a top IDL even if he’s somewhat disappointing.

20 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'll man up and admit I was very interested in Kevin White.

i am actually interested in seeing what Williams makes out of Leo.  Players do not get better under Bowles.  He plumbs their mediocrity quotient

7 minutes ago, jack48 said:

i am actually interested in seeing what Williams makes out of Leo.  Players do not get better under Bowles.  He plumbs their mediocrity quotient

Bowles waited 9 games to insert Harrison for Long. If you read what Gase has said about harrison's tape from last year, we'll all understand why we didn't overpay for Paradis or Morse. Bowles was awful.

1 hour ago, genot said:

Bowles waited 9 games to insert Harrison for Long. If you read what Gase has said about harrison's tape from last year, we'll all understand why we didn't overpay for Paradis or Morse. Bowles was awful.

I did not read it.  Where was it?

14 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

How sad ..... but true. :sad:

They were so convinced that repeating over and over again that we should have drafted Beasley would prove that they were better GMs than the actual GM who wouldnt 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They were so convinced that repeating over and over again that we should have drafted Beasley would prove that they were better GMs than the actual GM who wouldnt 

It's so tough because you never know for sure what kind of a pro these kids will become. The only one's who know FOR SURE are the "experts" here. Of course it's always post facto.

3 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

It's so tough because you never know for sure what kind of a pro these kids will become. The only one's who know FOR SURE are the "experts" here. Of course it's always post facto.

And as well versed GMs they know what a player is after a given year they will always be unless they picked them.  Then they'll just improve every year until they retire and head to the HOF.  LOL

16 hours ago, genot said:

Of course he did . Only issue with Leo is he doesn’t finish with sacks .. he gets plenty pressures , QB hits and is very solid against the run . The guy just doesn’t close with sacks for whatever reason always a second late . Anderson got a few a clean up sacks off of Leo’s work this year . 

Around the league he is Regarded as a Good to Solid player. but In the over exaggerated jets fan base world he is trash . Lol 

9 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Of course he did . Only issue with Leo is he doesn’t finish with sacks .. he gets plenty pressures , QB hits and is very solid against the run . The guy just doesn’t close with sacks for whatever reason always a second late . Anderson got a few a clean up sacks off of Leo’s work this year . 

Around the league he is Regarded as a Good to Solid player. but In the over exaggerated jets fan base world he is trash . Lol 

I was venting about Bowles in this thread. Gase is referring  to Harrison, our center who replaced Long. Considering what Gase thinks of Harrison's tape, that's probably why we didn't pursue and spend money on Paradis and Morse.

16 minutes ago, genot said:

I was venting about Bowles in this thread. Gase is referring  to Harrison, our center who replaced Long. Considering what Gase thinks of Harrison's tape, that's probably why we didn't pursue and spend money on Paradis and Morse.

Yeah I know . I was gonna make a comment on the article then changed my mind and it wouldn’t let me delete the quote . 

5 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Yeah I know . I was gonna make a comment on the article then changed my mind and it wouldn’t let me delete the quote . 

I wish they would change that. Posted stuff, i wanted to take back, and couldn't.

Archived