James Holzhauer on Jeopardy

PS17

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Apparently they uploaded it early to one of the streaming apps.

I posted it because it’s been reported by just about every major news outlet.

Most areas of the country it airs\ the show in the evening ( 7:30pm here) . They said a few areas of the country air it in the early afternoon so people knew then and the word spread.

13 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

He threw it. Looked ready to go home after winning $2.5M and setting himself up for a job in MLB or with the Rand Corporation.

He got daily double on first pick which screws up his game. And the the other person got the ones in daily double. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

He threw it. Looked ready to go home after winning $2.5M and setting himself up for a job in MLB or with the Rand Corporation.

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

He got daily double on first pick which screws up his game. And the the other person got the ones in daily double. 

Almost felt more rigged than thrown... But I’m sure the daily doubles were just bad luck.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

NOT going to disagree at all. Wife and I were shocked he didn't bet a lot more in final jeopardy. As we say... no guts no glory. At least not tonite.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Nothing to do with guts.  ...............................................

So, again, it was the optimal bet.

^^^ 100% correct. I dont think he ever made the wrong bet throughout his run.

Last night his opponent got the doubles she needed and made the right bets also.

Pretty sure he knew it was over when he saw the final question about Shakespeare with her being a librarian.

It will be interesting to see him on the tournament of champs.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

NOT going to disagree at all. Wife and I were shocked he didn't bet a lot more in final jeopardy. As we say... no guts no glory. At least not tonite.

not sure you understand - even if he bet all his money he would have lost - the winner bet enough so that she would have one dollar more than him.  He bet enough that the 3rd place guy could not beat him and if the winner got the question wrong he would end up winning.  solid strategy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, batman10023 said:

not sure you understand - even if he bet all his money he would have lost - the winner bet enough so that she would have one dollar more than him.  He bet enough that the 3rd place guy could not beat him and if the winner got the question wrong he would end up winning.  solid strategy.

looks like someone else already explained it.

he did seem off though.   and that first daily double was bad for him.  although she played a great game and got the two daily doubles.  she wasn't going to be beat.

42 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

I know that. We were just surprised that he didn't bet it all. He had no idea of how much she was betting or if she would answer it correctly. Kinda like WTF do I have to loose ? 2nd or 3rd place who cares after he already has $2.5 mil.

22 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I know that. We were just surprised that he didn't bet it all. He had no idea of how much she was betting or if she would answer it correctly. Kinda like WTF do I have to loose ? 2nd or 3rd place who cares after he already has $2.5 mil.

What he has to lose is an additional opportunity to win the game, which, could have been hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars, based on his earlier performance.

He knew exactly what she was going to bet, because that was the only bet that made sense for her.  Anything less would have been her throwing away her controlling her own destiny (i.e., by betting that exact amount, she wins no matter what, if she gets it right).

So, knowing she's going to bet enough to beat him by $1, here's the 4 possible outcomes based on each bet:

Big Bet

He's correct and She is correct = She wins

He's correct and she's wrong = He wins

He's wrong and she's wrong = She wins

He's wrong and she's correct = She wins (obviously)

Small Bet

He's correct and she's correct = She wins

He's wrong and she's wrong = He wins

He's wrong and she's correct = She wins (obviously, again)

So, by betting small he gave himself 2 scenarios in which he could win, versus only one scenario with a big bet.  He also ensured an extra $1,000, which, in 2.5M isn't a lot of money, but if given the choice between 1K and 2K, why not take the 2K.

• Upvote 2

On 4/21/2019 at 8:25 AM, Scott Dierking said:

He will make a mistake on one of the daily doubles and that will be an eventual downfall.

The guys is great on the buzzer, and the knowledge is incredible

Turns out it wasn’t a mistake, just bad luck. Hitting the first daily double very early and then not getting a crack at the second two. 

Too bad he couldn’t break Ken’s record. I think James is the Jeopardy GOAT regardless. Curious to see what he does with the rest of his life.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

The wtf do I have to lose isn’t how professional gamblers think. 

On 6/4/2019 at 11:51 PM, Thai Jet said:

OMG yes ! I hope she spends some of her winnings and buys a personality.

in alex defense - they tape a week at a time so he only had like a few hours to recover from James loss.  i think by monday he will be back to normal.

this gal could go on a good streak herself.  she knows a lot of stuff.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/4/2019 at 1:29 PM, TeddEY said:

What he has to lose is an additional opportunity to win the game, which, could have been hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars, based on his earlier performance.

He knew exactly what she was going to bet, because that was the only bet that made sense for her.  Anything less would have been her throwing away her controlling her own destiny (i.e., by betting that exact amount, she wins no matter what, if she gets it right).

So, knowing she's going to bet enough to beat him by $1, here's the 4 possible outcomes based on each bet:

Big Bet

He's correct and She is correct = She wins

He's wrong and she's wrong = She wins

He's wrong and she's correct = She wins (obviously)

Small Bet

He's correct and she's correct = She wins

He's wrong and she's wrong = He wins

He's wrong and she's correct = She wins (obviously, again)

So, by betting small he gave himself 2 scenarios in which he could win, versus only one scenario with a big bet.  He also ensured an extra $1,000, which, in 2.5M isn't a lot of money, but if given the choice between 1K and 2K, why not take the 2K.

My mother is a Jeopardy fanatic.  The kind that would do great on the show, but even she knows that she would choke and not be good on the buzzer.  Or maybe she'd Cliff Clavin it.  My Dad is pretty good, particularly with the history, but his only comments involve people betting stupidly at the end.  He would have literally called me up to complain if this guy had bet like @Thai Jet wanted.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

22 hours ago, batman10023 said:

in alex defense - they tape a week at a time so he only had like a few hours to recover from James loss.  i think by monday he will be back to normal.

this gal could go on a good streak herself.  she knows a lot of stuff.  

Missed it last nite ( car cruise, but I heard she lost. Good riddance.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

My mother is a Jeopardy fanatic.  The kind that would do great on the show, but even she knows that she would choke and not be good on the buzzer.  Or maybe she'd Cliff Clavin it.  My Dad is pretty good, particularly with the history, but his only comments involve people betting stupidly at the end.  He would have literally called me up to complain if this guy had bet like @Thai Jet wanted.

I only commented that the wife and I were surprised that he didn't bet it all since he was so aggressive. Move on already.

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Missed it last nite ( car cruise, but I heard she lost. Good riddance.

the best part of james was his knowledge and of course his big bets - but he also had a quirky personality - betting his kids birthdays and different stuff like that.  

• Upvote 1