Jets like Cutler, but so does Tennessee

Green Jets & Ham

NEWSDAY

Vandy's Cutler a hot QB

Bob Glauber

The best quarterback not named Matt Leinart or Vince Young?

It's Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler, who wowed scouts at last week's Senior Bowl workouts. "Every year, there are one or two guys that stand out, and he was one of them," one scout said. "He's got a arrogance to him that you want to see from a quarterback. Big kid. Strong arm. He looks really good."

Cutler flew under the radar most of the season, but with the draft just a couple of months away, he's already climbing the charts.

The Jets will give serious consideration to drafting him at No. 4, or trading down a few spots and taking him. But Cutler might not last that long. NFL sources say the Titans, who have the third overall pick, have been on to Cutler for quite some time and might take him.

NEWSDAY

Vandy's Cutler a hot QB

Bob Glauber

The best quarterback not named Matt Leinart or Vince Young?

It's Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler, who wowed scouts at last week's Senior Bowl workouts. "Every year, there are one or two guys that stand out, and he was one of them," one scout said. "He's got a arrogance to him that you want to see from a quarterback. Big kid. Strong arm. He looks really good."

Cutler flew under the radar most of the season, but with the draft just a couple of months away, he's already climbing the charts.

The Jets will give serious consideration to drafting him at No. 4, or trading down a few spots and taking him. But Cutler might not last that long. NFL sources say the Titans, who have the third overall pick, have been on to Cutler for quite some time and might take him.

screw cutler, he went 6-19 in the senior bowl. we should just stick with Vinny Testaverde instead, hes better, plus hes already in his prime, hes not some project that we're going to have to groom for years to take over the starting job.

My question is this...if the Jets take Cutler at #4, does Chad get the ax if he refuses to take a HUGE pay cut?

I'd guess he'd get cut whether he is willing to take a pay cut or not. You don't take Cutler at #4 to contend with Chad for the franchise QB spot,you take him to replace Pennington. You can't even keep Chad on for this season to hold the fort until Cutler is ready because you don't know if Chad will be ready. If we take Cutler, we're cutting Chad and signing someone for a year or so until Jay is ready. It just wouldn't make sense to keep Pennington after investing the #4 pick on a QB.

I was under the impression this franchise wasn't able to afford having two #1 QBs, so now all of a sudden we're going to draft Cutler? We're already paying an assload to Chad right now. Giving a fat contract to the #4 overall pick (esp a QB) isn't going to help our cap situation. Second, you guys are worried that Cutler gets taken by Tennessee, but that means that either Leinart or Vince Young become available, if Texans are going to choose Bush.

The part of this thread that grabbed my attention was "so does Tenn". It also jumped out at me when I saw Ham's first round mock here.

If Cutler is such a great talent, I could see Norm Chow figuring that out, too, and taking him at #3.

If that goes down, I say take DeBrick at 4.

The Jets will give serious consideration to drafting him at No. 4, or trading down a few spots and taking him. But Cutler might not last that long.

Knowing the Jets, they will trade down believing Cutler will still be there and the team picking right before the Jets will grab him.

Same old Jets.

The part of this thread that grabbed my attention was "so does Tenn". It also jumped out at me when I saw Ham's first round mock here.

If Cutler is such a great talent, I could see Norm Chow figuring that out, too, and taking him at #3.

If that goes down, I say take DeBrick at 4.

I dunno,if Tennessee takes Cutler at #3,that means one of the "big 3" would be sitting there at #4,probably Vince Young and maybe even Leinart. There will be someone willing to trade up to take whoever is still there, and I'd prefer at that point to trade down a few slots with someone like Arizona, grab a few picks from them, and take Lendale White,Deangelo Williams,or maybe even trade down again and take Eric Winston. That's just what I'd like to see happen for us if Cutler goes #3.

I dunno,if Tennessee takes Cutler at #3,that means one of the "big 3" would be sitting there at #4,probably Vince Young and maybe even Leinart. There will be someone willing to trade up to take whoever is still there, and I'd prefer at that point to trade down a few slots with someone like Arizona, grab a few picks from them, and take Lendale White,Deangelo Williams,or maybe even trade down again and take Eric Winston. That's just what I'd like to see happen for us if Cutler goes #3.

No way would i take Winston over St. Gillies(assuming Brick is gone), and I dont want Young either.

I can't wait for PutzFagJackass to get hit by a truck.

His purpose on Jet boards everywhere will improve.

Oh come on, how the hell did this a$$hole end up here. This kid personifies everything I hate about JI. You are the only non-moderator/Sooth lackey I would say this to from JI: Get the F*CK OUT of here!!!!

I am not sure if someone beat me to it, but suppose Leinart drops.

In my opinion, Cutler will continue to rise, and a great Combine would only seal the deal. NO drafts him instead of Leinart, and Matt starts to fall. With Chow in as the OC in Tennessee, does he pass on his former pupil or does he take Vince Young, the kid with the strong, arm, great manueverability ala Air McNair?

I don't think Cutler drops past NO.

This could be interesting.

I think Cutler's appeal will only grow, and everything seems to indicate that he will have a pretty good, if not great Combine.

I find it hard to imagine Cutler dropping to us at #4. How could NO or Tennessee pass on him? Big arm, accurate and the ability to flourish in a small program, against big teams only stress how good this kid is and how good he can be.

Vandy is also located in Tennessee, right in Floyd Reese's backyard. Reese has had great drafts and with Volek aging, and McNair almost done, a successor is needed. He has had ample opportunity to watch this kid.

New Orleans? I've gone over this before but I'll reiterate. Cutler would give them a bigger arm, plus accuracy over Leinart. This cannot be overstated. They have speed to kill in Stallworth, Horn, Henderson and a stud in McAllister. You don't waste that by bringing in a kid that could hinder their abilities. You sign someone that can take advantage of it. The division also has three teams with defenses that could have Top 5 potential. Trust Leinart to sling passes into tight spots against Carolina, Atlanta and Tampa?

The only thing that can offset Leinart's arm strength is the dome factor. The eight home games , plus one on the road vs. Atlanta helps, but I would not trust him in the Meadowlands or Soldier Field. FedEx field and Lincoln Financial Field could also be hostile.

Personally?

I think the Jets will trade down (if somebody covets that 4th pick, that is). Mangini will draft Chad Greenway. Max Jean-Gilles will most likely fall to the second round, where the Jets will be right there waiting at the top to grab him.

The Jets just aint got the cap room to sign a a top five draft pick. And they definitely are not going to draft a QB in round 1. No way.

Just my opinion, I could be totally wrong.

I don't know what it is about Cutlr. His college numbers weren't astounding, his Senior Bowl practices were good to above good. His Senior bowl game numbers were putrid. I just don't get it. Sure he may have good tools, but is having potential worth the #4 pick? I couldn't even fathom that.

Greenway is an OLB if I'm not mistaken and with Hobson and Barton I don't see OLB as a need position right now.

I think Cutler talk is all smoke and mirrors to get someone (like the Dolphins) to get all hot bothered about him and move up and pay a steep price to get him. Cutler won't be any better than Penny, Bolly, Fielder, or Joe Montanta back there if he is being put on his bum every play. The O-Line needs to be addressed through the draft, let a vet FA come in a compete for the QB slot.

I do like someone else's thought about if all else fails after this season take Brady Quinn next year. Quinn would be the best Qb in this draft IMHO.

Personally?

I think the Jets will trade down (if somebody covets that 4th pick, that is). Mangini will draft Chad Greenway. Max Jean-Gilles will most likely fall to the second round, where the Jets will be right there waiting at the top to grab him.

The Jets just aint got the cap room to sign a a top five draft pick. And they definitely are not going to draft a QB in round 1. No way.

how i hope youre right....

So Assmop, what would you do if this plays out (which is very possible), take Young or Brick?

Right now i try and get a king's ransom for Young. I would like to see what he does in combine, he may sway my opinion on taking him.

He would bring excitement back to Jet Football.

Right now i try and get a king's ransom for Young. I would like to see what he does in combine, he may sway my opinion on taking him.

He would bring excitement back to Jet Football.

What's Bradway going to pay him with? His good looks?

I don't want to wind up in an Indianapolis type situation, where 75% of your cap goes to the QB. That's just insane.

Look at the teams that win superbowls-

At least half of them win with journeymen as opposed to franchise QB's. Montana and Aikmen were two exceptions, but look at Jim Kelly, he was in four and never won. Elway had to get 6 shots at it to win 2. Marino never won one.

Dilfer, Plunkett, Doug Rypien and Brad Johnson all have rings.

Young would be ideal in a situation where the team needs to fill the stadium, kind of like the Falcons started selling seats when they got Vick.

Personally?

Well, myself I just couldnt pass on a LT like Brick.

But grabbing Chad Greenway and then Max Jean Gilles in the 2nd rd, would be a nice deal. Not to mention, trading down for Greenway would also nab us another 2nd rd pick, maybe more.

And I think Greenway fits into what Mangini wants in his players. A leader who is tuff, and a damn good player too.

Now, in a dream world. You trade Abraham for a top 21 pick.

What's Bradway going to pay him with? His good looks?

I don't want to wind up in an Indianapolis type situation, where 75% of your cap goes to the QB. That's just insane.

Look at the teams that win superbowls-

At least half of them win with journeymen as opposed to franchise QB's. Montana and Aikmen were two exceptions, but look at Jim Kelly, he was in four and never won. Elway had to get 6 shots at it to win 2. Marino never won one.

Dilfer, Plunkett, Doug Rypien and Brad Johnson all have rings.

Young would be ideal in a situation where the team needs to fill the stadium, kind of like the Falcons started selling seats when they got Vick.

JM-

1) Contrary to what some posters believe, 2006 will be a rebuilding year...we will be lucky to reach 6-10. that is why i propose taking all our cap hits in 2006, theses would include Penne, Fabini, CM, Jmac..... We need to set up 2007. Penne is done and i'm sick of all who believe he will be back. His weak arm is blown up, it is kaput. Take the cap hit now!

2) If VY proves to me at the combine that he can make all the throws, the deep out... then we would be fools to pass on him. the dude is 6 5 and runs the forty in 4.4. Does Badway want to be the GM to pass on the next Elway?

3) that said, if VY wows the NFL scouts at combine, he is not making it to 4th slot. We will be stuck with Cutler, who i'm not in love with like Hammer. He is not as tall as advertised, just under 6 3. Yes he has a very strong arm, but so did Browning Nagle who was also 6 3. We all know this story.

Let see how the Combines play out, it is way too early to trade this pick. It is ok to start looking for dance partners!

2) If VY proves to me at the combine that he can make all the throws, the deep out... then we would be fools to pass on him. the dude is 6 5 and runs the forty in 4.4. Does Badway want to be the GM to pass on the next Elway?

Does Bradway want to be the GM who blew 64 million on Pennington, and then risk another windfall on another potential franchise QB?

Based on what we know, Vince Young looks like he's got all the tools to make it as a legit NFL starter. But reality check- opposing NFL defenses don't have finance majors playing in the front seven; everybody's that much faster and that much stronger. It ultimately comes down to hanging tough in the pocket, and finding the open reciever, and the jury is clearly still out on Vince Young being able to do that.

The only upside I see in him right away is that he can play behind a shtty line, because running for his life won't be a problem. And if the Jets draft this guy, you can forget about having any money left over to build a new O-line.

I just don't see Bradway taking a QB- any QB- in round one. There's just too much risk and not enough reward, and he already has a king's ransom tied up in Pennington.

Archived