NY Rangers reboot 2019-20

18 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Fox and Lindgren are our top pair, both rookies.

Quinn had Panarin with Mika and Fast tonight after Panarin had 0 shots thru 2 and they clicked.

Thanks for that info. Quinn has this team playingn with confidence and pulling all the right strings when needed.... like last night.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, EM31 said:

Wow.... Hank is pretty deep down the depth chart in that case.

Still, the hot hand and all that.  Cannot argue with Quinn's decisions up until this point.  Coach of the year contender for sure.

They said it last night but if the rangers make the playoffs he’s gotta he coach of the year. 

1 hour ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Flyers have the Rangers number. Good thing is Carolina and Columbus both lost.

Hayes is becoming a Ranger killer.

Have to bounce back on Sunday.

They’re a much more physical team than us. Our young players need to develop in the weight room and maybe we pick up some muscle in the off season through trade or FA

All streaks come to an end.  We started a new one right after dropping the game to the Bruins a few games ago so all is not lost.  Last night's game was actually balanced with us having a number of good chances before they went up 2-1 against the run of the play.  I definitely think our guys believe that we can play with those guys.  Sunday is big game however.  No pretending it isn't'.

I am curious to see who dresses in goal and I am thinking we may see Hank this time around.  What is the plan to provide a body in front of net now that Kreider is out?  I am not sure there are really any good options there.  No obvious way to replace the $45 million dollar man on such short notice.

I am going to the Bluejackets game on Tuesday.  Should be fun.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, EM31 said:

All streaks come to an end.  We started a new one right after dropping the game to the Bruins a few games ago so all is not lost.  Last night's game was actually balanced with us having a number of good chances before they went up 2-1 against the run of the play.  I definitely think our guys believe that we can play with those guys.  Sunday is big game however.  No pretending it isn't'.

I am curious to see who dresses in goal and I am thinking we may see Hank this time around.  What is the plan to provide a body in front of net now that Kreider is out?  I am not sure there are really any good options there.  No obvious way to replace the $45 million dollar man on such short notice.

I am going to the Bluejackets game on Tuesday.  Should be fun.

Maybe Julien Gauthier can step up and do some of what Krieder does in front of the net.

Hopefully they call up Kravtsov, and he can contribute.

I would also like to see them try to draw Lias Anderson back from Sweden.

Both of those key youngsters have been playing well on the lower level.

The Ranger goalies have been a big reason why they are in the playoff mix. Hank is going to be more involved since Igor is out. His numbers are not bad, and he should get more favorable results now that the team is playing better.

The Rangers’ goaltending situation

The two biggest factors in the New York Rangers’ climb back into playoff contention have been the MVP caliber play of free agent acquisition Artemi Panarin, as well as the play of their two young goalies, Igor Shesterkin and Alexandar Georgiev.

The latter two have been so good that they have almost completely pushed a Rangers legend out of the picture.

As noted by NHL.com’s Pete Jensen on Friday, Henrik Lundqvist has not started a game for the Rangers since February 3 and has only made five starts in the new calendar year. During that time both Shesterkin and Georgiev have started both sets of back-to-back situations.

During that stretch the Rangers are 16-9-0 (the seventh best points percentage in the NHL), while their goaltenders have combined for an all situations .922, a mark that is tied for the second best in the NHL (with Tampa Bay and behind only Colorado).

Shesterkin and Georgiev alone have combined for a .930 mark in those games.

With Shesterkin sidelined for the time being due to injuries suffered in a car accident it seems likely that Lundqvist will at least get a couple of starts here in the coming weeks, but it is pretty clear which direction the Rangers’ net is headed in for the immediate (and long-term) future.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/02/29/stunning-nhl-numbers-rangers-goalies-100-point-scorers-david-ayres/amp/

Rangers’ best options for filling gaping Chris Kreider hole

By Brett Cyrgalis

February 29, 2020 | 3:12pm

There is no replacing Chris Kreider.

That’s a reality the Rangers intimately understand in the wake of their power-forward fracturing his left foot while blocking a shot in Friday night’s 5-2 loss at Philadelphia. It is a distinct possibility Kreider could miss the final 18 games of the regular season — with his seven-year, $45.5 million contract extension less than a week old.

The physical gifts and the off-ice leadership Kreider brings cannot be summoned from someone already on the roster, nor called up from AHL Hartford. And, as coach David Quinn jokingly said after the game, “The trade deadline has already passed.”

It passed, and Kreider was extended, partially because there was no return commensurate with his value to the team — now, or in the future. So the Rangers aren’t going to find out how important he is, they already knew.

But unquestionably this has put a damper on the emotional high the team had been riding for the past two months, getting themselves back in the playoff race. Their franchise-best nine-game road winning streak was snapped, and after a much-needed day off Saturday, they have to face Kevin Hayes and the Flyers again Sunday afternoon in the Garden.

Rangers Vinni Lettieri, Chris Kreider, and Kaapo KakkoPaul J Bereswill (2), Anthony J. Causi

“You look at this whole month, we’re playing really good hockey and stepping up,” said Mika Zibanejad, who will likely be the one most affected by losing Kreider on his flank. “We just have to make sure this game doesn’t ruin what we’ve built up this month. It’s one game.

“We’ve been doing a lot of good things for a long period of time, and we just have to make sure this doesn’t ruin that. We move on and aim to get better on Sunday.”

There is no easy solution to who actually steps into Kreider’s place next to Zibanejad. Maybe Quinn slides rookie Kaapo Kakko up there to play with Zibanejad and Pavel Buchnevich, or maybe Artemi Panarin goes there and the Blueshirts become extremely top-heavy. For the time being, it seems like Greg McKegg will draw back into the lineup after being a healthy scratch Friday, and his line with Brendan Lemieux and new addition Julien Gauthier was actually pretty effective in the 5-2 win in Montreal on Thursday night.

The Rangers have just two remaining recalls from the Wolf Pack, and they can’t make an emergency recall as long as they have 20 healthy players. So don’t expect No. 9-overall pick Vitali Kravtsov to come riding in on a white horse to save the day. Mind you, the persnickety 20-year-old Russian had five goals in his first 33 AHL games this season, which bridges his two-month sojourn back to Russia. How does that translate to the NHL?

The Rangers already know what they have in the likes of Vinni Lettieri, leading the Wolf Pack with 25 goals and 44 points, along with Steven Fogarty and Tim Gettinger. Veteran Matt Beleskey might be an interesting option, having been in the NHL playoffs five times in his career with the Ducks and Bruins. But if any one of those guys comes up, odds are the role is sheltered minutes on the fourth line.

The Rangers have been one of the healthiest teams in the league this season, but there is one example where they draw some well-deserved confidence that they could weather this storm. Zibanejad missed 13 games due to a neck injury early in the season, and the team won eight of those games.

“We lost Mika for a long stretch of time and we went [8-4-1],” Quinn said. “So we’ve proven we can overcome losing one of our top players, and we’re going to have to do it again.”

The undeniable fact is the Rangers need to respond well to this bit of adversity, or the joy of the past few weeks when the playoffs became a reality will fade quickly and seem like a distant memory swallowed by another season of productive rebuilding.

“I’m not worried how we’re going to handle adversity,” Quinn said. “I already know how we’re going to handle adversity.”

Just like they know there is no replacing Kreider.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/02/29/rangers-best-options-for-filling-gaping-chris-kreider-hole/amp/

9 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Maybe Julien Gauthier can step up and do some of what Krieder does in front of the net.

Hopefully they call up Kravtsov, and he can contribute.

I would also like to see them try to draw Lias Anderson back from Sweden.

Both of those key youngsters have been playing well on the lower level.

I liked what Anderson did when he was here.  Gritty player and yes he made some rookie mistakes but all in all the kind of toughness we are going to need more of.  Not sure the issue was and why he went back home to Sweden. Not enough playing time?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

So this home and home with Flyers could've gone better....

Definitely. They did show some life in the 3rd at least. 
Took my son to his first ranger game today. Actually his first professional sports  game and being a met jet ranger fan I feel it’s only fitting for him to learn the emotion of disappointment these teams will undoubtedly supply for the rest of his life. 

• Haha 2

On 2/29/2020 at 10:04 PM, EM31 said:

I liked what Anderson did when he was here.  Gritty player and yes he made some rookie mistakes but all in all the kind of toughness we are going to need more of.  Not sure the issue was and why he went back home to Sweden. Not enough playing time?

I think he was unhappy with how he was used, and that he got sent down. It seemed a little immature, unless there was something else going on that made him feel like he needed to go home. In any event, if they can would things out I'd like to see him back in camp next season.

Hank was rusty, he looked better as the game went on, but with him not playing much it's hard to be on top of your game. On the brighter side, it looks like Shsterkin may return ahead of schedule, he's already taking low shots in practice. With him and Krieder in the lineup, we should be able to give the Flyers a better match, should they meet again.

Well we certainly did not do much to help Hank out, taking those early penalties, but with that said Hank was not sharp either.  Tough loss to a team that matches up with us pretty well.  Maybe we were all getting ahead of ourselves a little bit.  I know I was.

It seems like this has been a problem for the Rangers for the better part of a decade but if our face-off winning percentage does not improve we will not be going anywhere this year or next.  I remember when Brian Boyle was our only weapon there.  As a team we were bad even then but we never really replaced that part of his game.  It is like having a 100 meter race and spotting everyone else in the race 5 meters at the start.

In terms of this 2-game series, we made plenty of chances it seemed to me.  The difference was that our snipers were not able to put away any of the big chances when the game was still close and the Flyers didn't miss much of anything.  An imperfect storm.

Since this is turning into a bit of a piss and moan post there is another thing that has been bothering me for a while.  Jacob Trouba is not the only one who does this by any means but he is by far the worst offender in my opinion.  Certainly the worst offender of anyone getting paid the big bucks like he is.  It seems like several times each period he chooses to make the fancy (and dangerous) pass out of his own zone which frequently leads to giveaways, not getting the puck out and oftentimes extended periods of pressure/goals by the opposition.  Just get the damned puck out of there already.

Don't get me wrong I like Trouba and his physicality.  I like his ability to get his shot on net and in general I like any free agent signing where the player plays up to or above his contract but this D-zone sloppiness is killing us. 

• Upvote 1

Wild Card Watch

The Blue Jackets overcame a 3rd period deficit against Vancouver and picked up a huge win. That win put the Rangers 4 points behind the last wild card spot and a hit in their odds to make it.

Injury Updates

Igor Shesterkin is back on the ice taking low shots. According to David Quinn he has made a lot of progress in the last week. Another update is coming later this week.

On Chris Kreider, there is no new update on his fractured foot. Evaluations will continue and we should get a timetable this week.

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/rangers-roundup-wild-card-setback-injury-updates-and-more/

After practice today head coach David Quinn provided updates to the injuries to Chris Kreider and Igor Shesterkin. While no clear timetables were given, it sounds like good news from a progress standpoint.

Injury Update

Kreider: No surgery needed. In a walking boot and it will depend on how quickly he heals. The great news there is that no surgery is needed making 4 weeks a likely scenario for a return.

Shesterkin: They are monitoring it daily but he’s made progress. The objective is to test him in practice to make sure there’s no limitation in motion or discomfort.

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/rangers-roundup-chris-kreider-in-a-boot-shesterkin-update-and-more/

• Post of the Week 1

23 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Took my son to his first ranger game today. Actually his first professional sports  game and being a met jet ranger fan I feel it’s only fitting for him to learn the emotion of disappointment these teams will undoubtedly supply for the rest of his life. 

Complete the “Quartet of Suffering” and include the Knicks to make his life insufferable! ?‍♂️

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Complete the “Quartet of Suffering” and include the Knicks to make his life insufferable! ?‍♂️

Technically I am a Knick fan also but don’t watch much basketball at this point. The dedication to the NBA isn’t there but I’m sure if the knicks  ever straightened there act out I’d start to watch a lil

On 3/1/2020 at 7:58 PM, Anthony Jet said:

Hey your son is going to group watching a Rangers dynasty lead by Igor Kakko Panarin and others like Kravtsov that I don’t feel like naming. 

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

Someone was saying at the garden yesterday. That there is no fighting on kids day (Sunday was kids day), like an unwritten rule and supposedly part of the reason for 10 min misconduct on Lemieux. Anyone ever here anything like this? Seems far fetched to me

I have never heard anything like that. Guy was probably being sarcastic or drunk. 

I was thinking today that I might get to the Garden for the final regular season game. I think it’ll Lundqvists last because he doesn’t want to play for anyone else and he’s not going to play as little as he did this year again. The only way I think he stays is if they trade Georgie at the draft or something. 

12 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Hey your son is going to group watching a Rangers dynasty lead by Igor Kakko Panarin and others like Kravtsov that I don’t feel like naming. 

The rangers don’t belong lumped in with the futility of the Mets and jets, but it sounded good for The whoa is me fandom, met jet fans go thru. Like it was said in this thread before, They have been one of the better run franchises in the nhl for the past 15 years. Only thing they have in common is the number of championships in the passed 25 years 

• Upvote 1